Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Beat Dragonslayer Armour last night and picked up the Sunlight Straight Sword from the hidden mimic. How does it stack up? Not sure if I want to put points in faith for it.
Sunlight Straight Sword is a bad weapon; even at plus 5 it has less base damage than a +10 long sword, it has a faith requirement while not actually scaling with faith, and it cannot be buffed or infused. It's weapon art would be better if it put you ahead damage wise, but otherwise you'd have trouble squeezing value out of it unless you co-op a bunch. If you want a faith weapon, Lothric Knight Greatsword would serve you way better, but it sounds like you aren't playing one so it's irrelevant. (Although I'd still very highly recommend at least giving it a look: Lothric Knight Greatsword is a loving amazing weapon. You can get well over 600 ATK if you build properly for it, and it deals a load of lighting damage by default while still being eligible for buffs and infusion :stare:.)

VerdantSquire fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Aug 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Feeling tepid about the DLC, which honestly surprises me. Mainly because it seems to be about the Painted World and I couldn't care less about that particular piece of lore.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Reason posted:

hopefully its less janky than lords of the fallen

The gameplay shown so far makes it look like a reasonably competent game.

I'm rooting for the Lords of the Fallen guys, I hope they'll keep making their versions of Souls games, improving with each iteration.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Yeah, it's easy to forget that if you include the Kings Field series, FROM has been iterating on this for a dozen games and even more years

endlessly repeating the cycle with minor differences, sometimes worse sometimes better

with no end in sight as long as the universe doesn't change fundamentally

Which CEO will find the courage to slay the franchise keeper and usher in an age of the dark (and probably metal wolf chaos sequels)?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Wasn't the Painted World their first demo stage they used to shop around for a publisher? Getting good mileage out of something whose purpose in the game itself is an ironic "we couldn't think of a place to put this thing" joke

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

just gonna do whatever I want to do, all the time

I'm not averse to some further exploration of the Painted World but man, I was hoping it'd be something more directly connected to the lore holes in DS3. By which I mean I wanted it to be about the Profaned Flame.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
it's probably connected to something, we don't know much yet.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
Painted world was cool as gently caress in ds1 and From have never released a bad dlc yet.

Do people forget that after ds2 launch but before the dlc, all the complaints about, well, everything? And the dlc had great levels, great new gear and even rewrote a bunch of lore to be more coherent too. I am 100% confident in From with this dlc.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
The problem with the arena is DS1 was that it was handled terribly. Once you got a one point lead you could just stall until time ran out. And that would be even easier to do in DS3 given how ridiculous the rolls are in this game. Plus you could use a miracle to heal up to fill health in the time it takes the other player to respawn. Meaning all the damage you just did was for nothing.

If it was like the DS2 arena where it's fight to the death that would be much better. Though that was a pain too until they got rid of estus.

And I agree with a previous poster. Six person battles are the poo poo and if they don't have that in the arena that would be a big disappointment. I feel like a six person free for all mode (or 3 vs 3) would go a long way in revitalizing the pvp in this game.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Pre-release I expected the apparent revival of the everlasting dragons to be a sort of counterpoint between the usual fire/dark dichotomy, and when I encountered Gundyr and the Pus of Man on the High Wall those suspicions were all but confirmed. Then loving Oceiros channeling Seath the Scaless, then motherfucking Archdragon Peak!

But nothing ever came of it, the dragons were pretty much window dressing. Everyone else is hoping and wishing for them to follow up on plot threads from past games and I thought they were finally gonna do something different. I'll be disappointed if the DLC never addresses Ocelot, at the very least.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Bring back the Bone Fist.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Deified Data posted:

Pre-release I expected the apparent revival of the everlasting dragons to be a sort of counterpoint between the usual fire/dark dichotomy, and when I encountered Gundyr and the Pus of Man on the High Wall those suspicions were all but confirmed. Then loving Oceiros channeling Seath the Scaless, then motherfucking Archdragon Peak!

But nothing ever came of it, the dragons were pretty much window dressing. Everyone else is hoping and wishing for them to follow up on plot threads from past games and I thought they were finally gonna do something different. I'll be disappointed if the DLC never addresses Ocelot, at the very least.

Every single Souls game DLC set has had an awesome dragon boss.

I fully expect that to continue.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

The problem with the arena is DS1 was that it was handled terribly. Once you got a one point lead you could just stall until time ran out. And that would be even easier to do in DS3 given how ridiculous the rolls are in this game. Plus you could use a miracle to heal up to fill health in the time it takes the other player to respawn. Meaning all the damage you just did was for nothing.

If it was like the DS2 arena where it's fight to the death that would be much better. Though that was a pain too until they got rid of estus.

And I agree with a previous poster. Six person battles are the poo poo and if they don't have that in the arena that would be a big disappointment. I feel like a six person free for all mode (or 3 vs 3) would go a long way in revitalizing the pvp in this game.

Completely agree. I hope the arena features different game modes like 1v1, 2v2, and 3v3. Maybe even 4v4 for larger maps? Also free for all for 6 players. But they must have it like the DS2 arena with no estus and the phantoms on both teams can't hit each other like in invasions.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Some people are being weirdly pessimistic, which is weird because every Dark Souls DLC has been outstanding.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

This has nothing to do with DS3 but I forgot it existed and it's amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gd4JnDKGj_Y

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I mean the reason nobody's pumped for the dlc is because it's a) two months away and b) the trailer revealed almost nothing

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
It revealed a bunch of cool spells that I'm sure are going to cost too much FP and do too little damage so no one's going to use them.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Tetracube posted:

I mean the reason nobody's pumped for the dlc is because it's a) two months away and b) the trailer revealed almost nothing

It revealed a snowy castle :colbert:

BE EXCITED YOU CRETINS. THERE'S GOING TO BE A CASTLE. WITH SNOW!

Populon
Mar 1, 2008

What's the matter,scared?

Lordvessel boss has feathers and is in a painted world type place. Maybe it's Velka?

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
I want to play a character using pole arms and a little bit of magic. Is that unrealistic or what kind of magic should I be looking at?

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

I'm playing NG+ atm using pure magic and honestly all kind of magic is completely viable. Pyromancy is very strong. Sorcery is quite strong and has amazing utility spells (Hidden Body owns). Even miracles seem to work OK offensively: I was hitting fools for ~900 with a Sunlight Spear, and you have some nice buffs. I'm a deprived with 50/50/50 in the magic stats so I can experiment. Just make sure to use all the magic boosting rings and possibly the faster casting one.

E: If you're looking for a battlemage type honestly all schools have some neat buffs:

• Miracles have healing, regeneration, status curing, damage and defensive buffs, antimagic protection and even a "you can't die once" spell.
  • Pyro is probably the strongest offensively but has a nice weapon buff and some other utility spells (prot. from fire, power within, and lets you stab fools and MAKE THEM EXPLODE).
  • Sorcery has the standard offensive spells that work quite well and a lot of utility. Hidden Body lets you walk through almost anything undetected, there are weapon and shield buffs (shield buffs are not useless this time, surprise), an antimagic spell and probably more I'm forgetting.

omeg fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Aug 25, 2016

Mimingless
Nov 23, 2007
Oh no, I have a self-esteem issue
Depends on what you mean by "a little bit of magic". If you mean buff spells and the like, sure. The weapon buffs won't be as good but all the self-buffs are still fine and not too difficult to get access to regardless of which magic type you pick, though Miracles are probably the best choice just because they have the most variety of self-buff spells(and Denial!), though Pyromancy has a decent amount too and Hush/Hidden Body from Sorcery are fun.

Damage spells, however, are something you need to go all-in on to really be useful. Well, not alllll all in, 60 Int is the soft cap for Sorcery and I was fine ending NG at 50. But you really kinda have to rush to 40 Int/Faith ASAP if you want damage Sorceries/Miracles to be good. Pyromancy might be a little more forgiving there, though? Not really sure. At the very least, building for Pyro will get you stats to use pretty much all the buff spells regardless of their school.

Edit: Should note that I was able to go decently far into Dex weapons on that character as well, though it left me very much on the frail side.

Mimingless fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Aug 25, 2016

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Populon posted:

Lordvessel boss has feathers and is in a painted world type place. Maybe it's Velka?

I think the nitocrow and the pot guy might actually be different bosses - nitocrow has crow hands too though.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
It will be neat if we finally see Velka, and super neat if she's some horribly disfigured, really twisted and evil thing. It'd contrast with the statues well and would re-emphasize the notion that no matter what team you're batting for, they're all self-serving and sadistic bastards

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So does the blue sentinels/dorkmoon work for anyone? I've kept either of the covenants equipped the whole playthrough but have gotten exactly 2 summons throughout.

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009
For me it seems sl50 with max +6 weapons (+3 twinkling/scale weaps) tends to give you nonstop blue play

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Friendly Humour posted:

So does the blue sentinels/dorkmoon work for anyone? I've kept either of the covenants equipped the whole playthrough but have gotten exactly 2 summons throughout.

in the many months I've played this game, I have yet to be summoned as a blue :smith:

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Boomstick Quaid posted:

For me it seems sl50 with max +6 weapons (+3 twinkling/scale weaps) tends to give you nonstop blue play

What's the weapon upgrade level count? I thought it was soul lvl dependent?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
It's both. Usually your most upgraded weapon needs to be within 2 or 3 upgrade levels of someone to invade or co-op with them.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Rough Lobster posted:

Some people are being weirdly pessimistic, which is weird because every Dark Souls DLC has been outstanding.
I'm as cautiously optimistic as ever. Still going to wait for reviews because i am not a gamer child. Does that count as "weirdly pessimistic" these days?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

skasion posted:

It's both. Usually your most upgraded weapon needs to be within 2 or 3 upgrade levels of someone to invade or co-op with them.

I was reading that because of this, one shouldn't upgrade one's weapons past +8 because if it's +8 then you can run into people with max weapon level ranging from 6 to 10, whereas if you upgrade it to 10 you only run into people with it leveled from 8 to 10 making it harder to find coop pals. But even if you discard/whatever a weapon the game still counts that one as the highest weapon for that character.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Huh. Never knew that. I was wondering why I was constantly invading ng+ characters with an SL60 character

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
What would look good with the lothric great sword

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

lite_sleepr posted:

What would look good with the lothric great sword

What about this?

Chain helm, Drakeblood armor, Faraam gloves, knight leggings and Eastern Iron Shield (or Llewellyn shield).

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I can't wait to play this dlc and rediscover the lost holy art of the boomerang

late october is a lot farther away than I would have expected tho

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Boomerang miracle is going to be super weak to account for it possible hitting the opponent twice per cast, so it'll effectively be the first spell with split damage.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I was hoping it was going to be the Crystal Ring Shield's attack. That thing basically carried me in my first playthrough of Dark Souls (when it was still bugged). :(

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

KingSlime posted:

Ah well they didn't annoy me at all. Long loading times is just what I endure when I game on consoles so it doesn't bug me, and I always dropped some cash on vials to top off after leveling up. That combined with pick ups and selling items I didn't need meant that blood vials weren't ever really in short supply. So I guess in my personal barometer they defintiely weren't flaws.

Some of the chalice dungeon bosses do feel pretty drat flawed, though maybe I just suck

E: The two loading screen thing is a legitimate complaint tho, esp before the patch

I think leveling in Bloodborne would have been fun if you'd done it at the lamps by chatting with your little imp ghost friends. Like chilling at a bonfire only cuter.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Ice Fist posted:

It revealed a snowy castle :colbert:

BE EXCITED YOU CRETINS. THERE'S GOING TO BE A CASTLE. WITH SNOW!

I've been there its called Irthyll.

I wanted to go to the Deep dammit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Lotish posted:

I think leveling in Bloodborne would have been fun if you'd done it at the lamps by chatting with your little imp ghost friends. Like chilling at a bonfire only cuter.

Yeah the whole leveling up w/ a waifu at the hub got old after two games. Replaying DS during the reboot or whatever made me realize how helpful it was to have access to all that poo poo in any old bonfire.

I remember during my first DS playthrough distinctly thinking, oh cool I don't have to level up in this game's nexus anymore, what a neat improvement.

Fromsoft is weird.