Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Re: arguing with Kalman: From trying to argue with them (singular) about software patents I've found that they will argue from the position of what's legal now, not what ought to be and generally won't consider ways to change the law. I think that's because, as a lawyer, they believe there's a way to get around just about any regulation you put in the way.

So I think Kalman knows How poo poo Works, but trying to convince them it ought to be otherwise is like trying to convince fishmech he's wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

BrainMeats posted:

It's a lost cause anyways. Reagan couldn't even take Minnesota.

Trump's chance to win in Minnesota is the literal Least Important Ramifications of his not being on the ballot, there would be absolute calamity with all sorts of down ticket races. Devastation probably the wrong word, it would be less "bad" and more "hilariously different".

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
If you go to any given Barnes and Noble right now and look at the "new non-fiction" and/or "non-fiction bestsellers" it's like 75% election books

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Augus posted:

Trump is operating on a completely different plane of reality.
Which is to say, the plane that is crashing.

That's what happens when Farage campaigns for you

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

emdash posted:

If you go to any given Barnes and Noble right now and look at the "new non-fiction" and/or "non-fiction bestsellers" it's like 75% election books

There are still Barnes and Nobles?

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

VikingofRock posted:

They're nice respites from the heat. Some even have Starbucks.

And books, or whatever.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

VikingofRock posted:

The same company owns GameStop aka the world's most electronic pawn shops so unless the owners decide they hate books they're not going anywhere

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

VikingofRock posted:

i love books, and not waiting for stuff to ship

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

VikingofRock posted:

Yes and Donald Trump spent 55 thousand dollars of donor money at one last month to buy up enough copies of Crippled America at retail price to put it back into the NYT (a failing paper no one reads, by the way) Best Seller list.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

We talk about this everytime it comes up, but UHC does not require full state control to work. We're also talking about three different parts of the healthcare system: medical care (hospitals and doctors), ancillary medical services (medical devices and pharmaceuticals), and health insurance.

Which highlights one of my frustrations with the epipen news. It's one of those cases where the bigger - in raw "where's the money spent" terms - problems is peeking through. And in a few weeks everyone will forget and go back to blaming everything on insurance companies.

Space Poodle
Nov 11, 2007

Party Plane Jones posted:

Inhalers went up because they switched off CFCs for deploying the medication even though the total amount used was absolutely tiny.

Which they knew about in 1988. They *could* have released the new ones at any point between 1988 and 2000, so that generics were legal by the time the mandatory switch happened. It's not really the switch. It's that the new formulas allowed for new patents, and the new patents mean that it's technically a "new drug." They all switched in 2013, or so, and by 2020, the loophole will close.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

mandatory lesbian posted:

i love books, and not waiting for stuff to ship

Me too, I just haven't seen a Barnes and Noble (or Borders) in years. I thought they were out of business. Mostly I see independent book shops nowadays.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

i am the bird posted:

They're nice respites from the heat. Some even have Starbucks.

And books, or whatever.

THey never have the books I want :(

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Manchin has a non-statement statement out about the epipen-price-jacking, over-CEO-bonus--paying pharmaceutical company his daughter runs:

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

VikingofRock posted:

Me too, I just haven't seen a Barnes and Noble (or Borders) in years. I thought they were out of business. Mostly I see independent book shops nowadays.

Borders did go out of business. B&N is struggling in at least some ways, but it's the last widespread big book store standing for sure

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
My cheap rear end used to go to my local Barnes and Nobles for hours on the weekend reading collected comic book volumes.

That's my Barnes and Nobles story.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Munkeymon posted:

Re: arguing with Kalman: From trying to argue with them (singular) about software patents I've found that they will argue from the position of what's legal now, not what ought to be and generally won't consider ways to change the law. I think that's because, as a lawyer, they believe there's a way to get around just about any regulation you put in the way.

So I think Kalman knows How poo poo Works, but trying to convince them it ought to be otherwise is like trying to convince fishmech he's wrong.

Medical care should be regulated at a higher level than fart apps; ideally run by the government the same as firefighters, police, national defense, etc.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

emdash posted:

Borders did go out of business. B&N is struggling in at least some ways, but it's the last widespread big book store standing for sure

Round these parts we have plenty of Books A Millions.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

VikingofRock posted:

oh weird, i've never been anywhere where there wasn't one

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

greatn posted:

Round these parts we have plenty of Books A Millions.

I was really sad when my local Books A Million closed, they had the best cookies in their cafe.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/MEPFuller/status/768840010011385856

This is a complete waste of time, Breitbart.com already tracks all instances of Black Crime.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

greatn posted:

I wonder if the price of dog insulin will go up. My mom has a diabetic dog. If that price doesn't go up, I imagine people are going to start buying dog insulin for themselves and using that. You'll have a whole black market.

There's only one true dog insulin, the vast majority use human insulin. However, the one dog insulin (vetsulin) is pig insulin, so should work just fine in people.

Now, all the different human insulin acts somewhat differently in dogs and cats, so with price increases on insulin, not uncommonly will the pharmacist change the insulin type they dispense to a patient (without checking to make sure it even works in dogs or cats), generally leading to a loss of diabetic control (and sometimes to real bad outcomes).

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer
New England Republican governors sure love having binders full of people

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Munkeymon posted:

Yeah, lawyers who aren't sad only argue for things they're paid for, though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Salon/status/768840380523671552

Remember she was targeted for being a black woman in a movie that nerds hated.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

My cheap rear end used to go to my local Barnes and Nobles for hours on the weekend reading collected comic book volumes.

That's my Barnes and Nobles story.

When they first opened where I lived, they had air conditioning, a cafe, and a give no shits attitude about reading unbought books in said cafe. I spent a lot of time in B&N as a teenager.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I'm going to fight reaaaaal good when some pasty white fuckass ends up in a fed pen for that.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/Salon/status/768840380523671552

Ironic that feminists obsess over sexual assault and rape figures, but want to let someone get away with raping my childhood.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

zoux posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if this is revenge for getting Milo Yiannopolis banned from Twitter.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

haveblue posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if this is revenge for getting Milo Yiannopolis banned from Twitter.

That's the excuse a lot of idiots are giving but the only one responsible for Milo getting banned was Milo himself

the floor is baklava
May 4, 2003

SHAME

haveblue posted:

People posting on Twitter, Facebook and elsewhere about how they hate Jones repeatedly say just that so yeah.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Kit Walker posted:

That's the excuse a lot of idiots are giving but the only one responsible for Milo getting banned was Milo himself

That's true, but he was allowed to run wild until he went after Jones and that led directly to Twitter's admins finally getting off their asses. That's more than enough for his army of idiots to lay the blame on her.

Meanwhile:

https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/status/768630365657366532

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

zoux posted:

Manchin has a non-statement statement out about the epipen-price-jacking, over-CEO-bonus--paying pharmaceutical company his daughter runs:

Is he supposed to throw his daughter under the bus? Like, I am not sure what he's supposed to say there other than that.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
Question: I, nor probably 99.99% reading these stories actually saw the photos on the website in their original form. Isn't widespread media coverage of the hack attack doing way more to contribute to Jones's humiliation, seeing as only a very small number of people would've even been aware of the thing in the first place? Is this really worth reporting on instead of quietly removing the photos and letting investigators do their work?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Barnes and Noble have taken over a couple college bookstores around here; about half is textbooks/school supplies/apparel, the rest is kind of a scaled down regular store open to the public. Pretty nice thing to have within walking distance, imo.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/768844619308085248

well, then

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

E1M1 posted:

Question: I, nor probably 99.99% reading these stories actually saw the photos on the website in their original form. Isn't widespread media coverage of the hack attack doing way more to contribute to Jones's humiliation, seeing as only a very small number of people would've even been aware of the thing in the first place? Is this really worth reporting on instead of quietly removing the photos and letting investigators do their work?

No, that's an idiotic stance to hold. Not talking about an issue, be it inequality or cyber harassment, won't make the issue disappear. That it is being reported on has revved up the outrage machine and outrage really is the only thing that gets people/companies off their asses to make a change for the better.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

CascadeBeta posted:

As someone who has horrific asthma and goes through an inhaler once every month to two months, the inhaler cost increase is what made me aware of all this poo poo happening with medicine. What's worse is that they've made the size of them smaller and put a counter that doesn't accurately gauge how much is left in it so you're often at zero well before the actual medication is out. It's awful and slimy and the industry needs some serious oversight, or else this is going to keep happening.

Wait what the gently caress? Are you telling me asthma inhalers work like lovely inkjet cartridges that lie and report that they're empty when they still have plenty of ink inside?

And I thought that was inexcusable.

HorseRenoir posted:

Yeah, I think Clinton's margin of victory is going to be even larger than the polls suggest. It's much easier for people to say they're going to vote for someone instead of actually do it, and Trump has virtually no infrastructure to drive people to the polls. I don't think the lack of a GOTV would hurt him as much as it would for Clinton, but the organization gap is so wide that I can't see it not costing him a few percentage points in the election.

This will fuel the inevitable "it was rigged!" conspiracy theory and drive the GOP into declaring poll rides, door-knocking, reminder calls and all sorts of GOTV efforts as "voter fraud."

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I think it's really rotten that a CEO of a company is practically obligated to do anything they can to raise profits for the shareholders, no matter who gets hurt in the process. I don't know how I'd suggest changing that, and to what, though.

It's a matter of changing the culture of interpretation around the idea of "fiduciary duty to shareholders". For a long time this wasn't the perverse "must raise stock price every quarter" thing that it is now - decisions were made to protect the long-term shareholder value. This was a much better interpretation which gave corporate officers more freedom to execute long-term plans that wouldn't necessarily produce consistent growth every quarter but would be more beneficial overall. This was another casualty of the Reagan administration and the financial culture it promoted - the Gordon Gekko school of finance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Wait what the gently caress? Are you telling me asthma inhalers work like lovely inkjet cartridges that lie and report that they're empty when they still have plenty of ink inside?

It sounds like a waste but it also sounds like the chance of the other way around happening is a risk not worth taking.

• Locked thread