Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Today it is all of our responsibility to shitpost the #AltRightMeans hashtag on twitter, and to amplify those voices on twitter that use that hashtag to take a big steaming poo poo on the evil that is the alt-right. If you've got a twitter feed, do your part!

And if you don't have a twitter feed, good for you! You are walking the righteous path in life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
i'm 50% twitter, 50% man

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Twitter owns.

https://twitter.com/SopanDeb/status/768873337913155584

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
What exactly is Hillary going to talk about in her speech about the alt-right?

How they turned the Good Guy Greg meme into an anti-semitic meme?
4Chan's hatred of ethnics?
Anti-Mexican twitter hashtags?

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The naked, overt glorification of the failed ideas of 'race realism' and 'gender realism', as well as open, unapologetic rejection of basic democratic principles as the consent of the governed?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How David Duke and the KKK are big Trump fans and how his campaign is being run by a fringe ultraconservative nutjob.

The words "Feels Guy" will not be said.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

do you realize the alt-right exists outside of the internet you basementlord

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

How Trump has made the most extreme wing of the right feel comfortable in airing their nastiness.

Though I'll :lol: real hard if they head fake the media on this again.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Today it is all of our responsibility to shitpost the #AltRightMeans hashtag on twitter, and to amplify those voices on twitter that use that hashtag to take a big steaming poo poo on the evil that is the alt-right. If you've got a twitter feed, do your part!

https://twitter.com/willmenaker/status/768815711988879360

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

TrumpSupporters.jpg

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

milo yannipapadopolous is the rarest of pepes

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

How Trump has made the most extreme wing of the right feel comfortable in airing their nastiness.

Though I'll :lol: real hard if they head fake the media on this again.

https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/768864106656956420

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Aug 25, 2016

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
https://twitter.com/rubycramer/status/768876509545148416

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Yep, that's why: http://elections.huffingtonpost.com/pollster/2016-general-election-trump-vs-clinton

Is your best barometer for where the race is at given time.

That graph reminds me of the the TMNT water level.

In my dream world, Trump and his ilk get buried in some kind of ridicule box where they can't affect policy until the end of time.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

There's been a lot of talk about the Clinton strategy to try to wedge off GOP voters by saying that Trump represents a fringe position not in line with American (read:GOP) values rather than trying to connect the insane racist alt-right to the whole party. The first one is certainly safer, if a lot less fun.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

RuanGacho posted:

Underfunded, full of corruption and full of broken processes respectively? :v:

I'm pretty sure the top ten causes of death in the US don't involve fire, crime, or foreign military forces.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/JTSantucci/status/768878171647254528

We turn now to the CNN Chyron for comment.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
If you want to see a racist look in the mirror. He's right behind you. Get out of the house while you can.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Periodiko posted:

I'm not saying that ultimately she isn't leaning in that direction, but it's ridiculous when coupled with this appeal to "workhorse not show horse" legislative concreteness, when she isn't even willing to offer an opinion on specific, important policy issues in a townhall where she was ostensibly supposed to address those concerns. Like, everything she's offering in that transcript is basically "trust me, I'm on your side." That's as much the pitch of a shrewd politician as a con artist.

"I feel your pain" "feel-good" politics is actually kind of a bad thing. And it's just bizarre to have her on the one hand admonishing BLM activists for failing to offer concrete plans, while as an individual running for President dissembling to try and give as much of a non-answer as possible.

During the '08 primaries and campaign, everyone was reading all these grandiose motives and ideas into Obama's campaign. Obama's campaign was built on vagaries designed to appeal to a broad audience and let them project what they wanted. "Hope" and all that. Then he got into office and he governed as a pretty mediocre centrist that lost basic campaign promises like the public option.

It's really hard, probably naive, to take "trust me" as an answer from someone with a mixed record. The burden is on Clinton to assert that she's made shifts of policy from those she previously held. That's not an unreasonable expectation in a townhall specifically designed for exploring these issues, for which she presumably prepared.

I don't necessarily disagree with any of this. Another important part of what she said is asking BLM to find places where it could agree or work with people it doesn't necessarily love. They don't seem to particularly like any white politician, least of all Clinton. But if they do manage to centralize, organize, and become a stronger, driving movement for change, they can work with her to shape policy. Some citizens allied with a movement asked Hillary a question off script and got an off script answer. I'm not saying they have to be satisfied with the answer. I'm saying I'm surprised she said as much as she did. BLM should keep lobbying and fighting for what they need to happen, but that also means engaging with policy makers formally, not just protests and disruptions (those are good, mind you, when done well).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Here's some excerpts from her speech if you want an idea of tone and content:

Chyron Guy moved channels!

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

uninterrupted posted:

I'm pretty sure the top ten causes of death in the US don't involve fire, crime, or foreign military forces.

I'm just expressing my cynical despair that emergency and medical services are on the regular level are defunded to the point of potential criminal negligence but that's not important to the public.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

zoux posted:

There's been a lot of talk about the Clinton strategy to try to wedge off GOP voters by saying that Trump represents a fringe position not in line with American (read:GOP) values rather than trying to connect the insane racist alt-right to the whole party. The first one is certainly safer, if a lot less fun.

In addition to this, I'm wondering what kind of effect the Clinton campaign hammering this point home is going to have on Republican efforts to save face post-Trump. I've been expecting this to be the party line post-Trump, but now that the hated Hillary is saying it, it sort of puts the GOP leadership in an awkward position where they have to either say Trumpist values are their own (which I expect to be massively unpopular) or agree with something Hillary says.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pakled posted:

In addition to this, I'm wondering what kind of effect the Clinton campaign hammering this point home is going to have on Republican efforts to save face post-Trump. I've been expecting this to be the party line post-Trump, but now that the hated Hillary is saying it, it sort of puts the GOP leadership in an awkward position where they have to either say Trumpist values are their own (which I expect to be massively unpopular) or agree with something Hillary says.

They're just going to be deathly silent on the subject so no matter what happens they have some modicum of influence. And in their silence they hope to sink trump

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

zoux posted:

lmfao

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
I'm absolutely in love with "No They're Not" as a counterpoint to things Trump says

Is there a link to a Youtube version of Clinton's talk?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Rofl

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

what the gently caress is happening with the r's in Trump there?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

zoux posted:

Right around that time he claimed his poll numbers are really good, too

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The He Is is strongly implied.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHAlX9a_dfA
Link to Hillary's speech for when it happens.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

what the gently caress is happening with the r's in Trump there?

It's the free market at work. The fixed-width font industry is in bed with printer ink manufacturers to add needless underlines to letters in hopes of using more printer ink.

zoux posted:

Link to Hillary's speech for when it happens.

I am the immediate flood of swastikas and "cuck" in the chat windows before you are able to click "Hide Chat"

Also this buyout music loop is loud and awful.

Edit: for got the other c word gets changed to that, but you can imagine what I meant.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

zoux posted:

Well its still a problem for the right either way because the Alt is their lifeline. Its The Fruit of the Tea Bagger Tree come to bear a whole new generation of open believers in the messaging behind their dog whistles, only they don't hide what they really mean. If they GOP tries to disavow them, especially under Hilldog's claims, they're severing ties with them by showing the GOP really is the big government establishment they hate. America has a goldfish's memory when it comes to actions and facts, but they sure as poo poo can hold a grudge from feelings. And if Hillary manages to be the reason why the GOP turns on the Alt, well they were already screaming RINO and their weird sexual fantasies about them before. It could be an even bigger schism if the establishment actually heeds the words of a democrat, let along Mrs. Clinton herself.

bencreateddisco
Dec 7, 2011

I BLEW $74K IN KICKSTARTER MONEY AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS UGLY AVATAR

:drat:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Crabtree posted:

Well its still a problem for the right either way because the Alt is their lifeline. Its The Fruit of the Tea Bagger Tree come to bear a whole new generation of open believers in the messaging behind their dog whistles, only they don't hide what they really mean. If they GOP tries to disavow them, especially under Hilldog's claims, they're severing ties with them by showing the GOP really is the big government establishment they hate. America has a goldfish's memory when it comes to actions and facts, but they sure as poo poo can hold a grudge from feelings. And if Hillary manages to be the reason why the GOP turns on the Alt, well they were already screaming RINO and their weird sexual fantasies about them before. It could be an even bigger schism if the establishment actually heeds the words of a democrat, let along Mrs. Clinton herself.

Oh I agree this isn't something that the GOP is just going to shake off come November, I think they are going to go into the wilderness for a time while the various factions in their party rip and tear at each other.

But there are a lot of Democrats who see this Trump poo poo as the perfect cudgel to beat the GOP with and discredit and destroy them forever and are frustrated that HRC is reaching out to centrist Republicans instead of going "See, told you you're a racist!"

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

zoux posted:

Oh I agree this isn't something that the GOP is just going to shake off come November, I think they are going to go into the wilderness for a time while the various factions in their party rip and tear at each other.

But there are a lot of Democrats who see this Trump poo poo as the perfect cudgel to beat the GOP with and discredit and destroy them forever and are frustrated that HRC is reaching out to centrist Republicans instead of going "See, told you you're a racist!"

Well we have to remember that at this point the "rigged" narrative is going to at least be used if not stick. The Important thing is if you want this to be used as a weapon, you have to make it feel like it wasn't Hilldog that rigged the election, but the GOP establishment betrayed their own party. This soft touch is what allows the estab to carry out that betrayal by playing to their sense of greater patriotism and obvious reluctance in Trump. That's what the Alt will carry into their hearts and will let them scream louder at their own leaders than at Clinton.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

zoux posted:

Guess which one is a better strategy to win.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Guess which one is a better strategy to win.

Guess which one is a lot less satisfying. They're not right, but I understand.

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx
The Republican minority outreach person on MSNBC right now: "Look, Trump said he's going to end bigotry in this country, so let's just stop talking about racism already!"

Also, I think I'll lose it if HRC says "cuck" during this speech.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Mr Jaunts posted:

The Republican minority outreach person on MSNBC right now: "Look, Trump said he's going to end bigotry in this country, so let's just stop talking about racism already!"

Oh please say there is a link to this.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Mr Jaunts posted:

Also, I think I'll lose it if HRC says "cuck" during this speech.

I doubt she'll say that, but I'll lol heartily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hillary's on stage:

• Locked thread