Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

How is the Telus Network? I'm actually tempted to get that deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Mister Macys posted:

How is the Telus Network? I'm actually tempted to get that deal.

For LTE, at least, it's identical to Bell's, as they jointly operate that network.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

So what happens after 90 days? Can you just get the same plan again? Or who knows?

I hopped on that $40 for 1GB Virgin deal around Canada Day, so thanks for the heads up, thread. Not planning on switching, I'm fine with 1GB for now.

Still need a phone though. It's hard to pull the trigger on these drat things.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Virgin/Fido are doing some sweet deals in Quebec. For some reason, Koodo isn't joining in (again)

$40 - Unlimited talk/text and 2gb data
$50 - Unlimited talk/text and 3gb data

Fido also have an unlimited talk/text 6gb plan at $58 and 8gb plan at $65

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Migishu posted:

poo poo that's good

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Migishu posted:

Virgin/Fido are doing some sweet deals in Quebec. For some reason, Koodo isn't joining in (again)

$40 - Unlimited talk/text and 2gb data
$50 - Unlimited talk/text and 3gb data

Quebec only? Definitely can't seem to find that anywhere from Alberta.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Looked to be, I didn't know if there were any similar deals going on (at least cheaper deals) in other parts of the country but I figured I'd point out some good deals for any Quebecois looking for a deal.

Migishu fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Aug 15, 2016

vivisecting
Dec 13, 2012

it's been 15 years but im still upset that yamato became an astronaut and yet absolutely no one joined the federation since thats actually more plausible than that ending
I moved into a basement suite and have maximum three bars with Wind :(

I live in Edmonton and I'm otherwise super happy with my Wind service and from what I can see, no plan even comes within $20 of what I pay ($39 for 5gigs). I'm so happy with my service that I'm looking into repeaters/signal boosters/whatever. From what I can understand, I have three options:

1)
I've been looking at: https://www.amazon.ca/Wilson-Electr...8V1AQ2G8ATV3NRH

I don't know if it would work on AWS; it doesn't say.

Also: http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product...52d9c30ab7cen02

That one works on AWS. I'm not bothered about the price.

2)
I also have TekSavvy internet, and I see that they have home phone voip plan for $10/month. I don't really understand what voip means though and also I'm not a huge fan of having two numbers.

3)
Google voice???? enable icloud on my iphone/ipad and leave the phone by a window. I hate icloud :(

vivisecting fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Aug 15, 2016

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
If you are solely looking for voice just place your phone and charger in a cradle by the window, and use a BT headset.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

vivisecting posted:

3)
Google voice????

Google voice is US only and if you want to use it you need an American friend to set you up using an American phone # that has no voice account already attached to it.

vivisecting
Dec 13, 2012

it's been 15 years but im still upset that yamato became an astronaut and yet absolutely no one joined the federation since thats actually more plausible than that ending

jm20 posted:

If you are solely looking for voice just place your phone and charger in a cradle by the window, and use a BT headset.
Right. That's an option I suppose, but I mostly just text. In that same idea, I guess I could enable icloud on my iphone/ipad for nothing but I hate icloud :(

Scudworth posted:

Google voice is US only and if you want to use it you need an American friend to set you up using an American phone # that has no voice account already attached to it.

Ah, okay, I'll cross that out then.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Migishu posted:

For some reason, Koodo isn't joining in (again)

Are you sure?

Not that it matters, no one else in this thread is from Quebec. :v:

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Deals weren't up when I last looked v:shobon:v

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Migishu posted:

Deals weren't up when I last looked v:shobon:v

Fair enough, that's rather unusual in these times of collusion and instant "deal" propagation. I'm just chuffed I noticed it by chance while looking for roaming packages for a short trip to the US next week.

On that note:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

gently caress you cunts, I'm getting a T-mobile SIM with a 1GB package for $13 USD. I knew roaming was a ripoff, but you'd think the packages would at least be sensible. It'd actually be cheaper than many plans to get a T-mobile account and roam that in Canada.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Rogers Roam Like Home is a pretty sweet deal for roaming.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

CLAM DOWN posted:

Rogers Roam Like Home is a pretty sweet deal for roaming.

In some countries it's still far cheaper to pick up a SIM at an airport kiosk if you're there for more than a day.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Yeah, isn't it like 10 bux a day? So 300 a month? P sure you can get a sim and a phone for that in most non mobile oligopoly zones.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

JoelJoel posted:

Yeah, isn't it like 10 bux a day? So 300 a month? P sure you can get a sim and a phone for that in most non mobile oligopoly zones.

It has a cap. $5/day or 50/month in the usa, 10/day or 100/month elsewhere like Europe.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

quote:

Premier Brad Wall suggested on Tuesday that any offer for SaskTel would need to cover certain criteria, including being able to eliminate the province's operating debt, which is currently $4.1 billion.

Well, they've begun to kick at the last chock holding back the runaway train of english Canada's phone plan pricing.

Once SaskTel is sold someone gets to buy Shaw and then Bell gets to buy whoever was dumb enough to do that.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

shadow puppet of a posted:

Well, they've begun to kick at the last chock holding back the runaway train of english Canada's phone plan pricing.

Once SaskTel is sold someone gets to buy Shaw and then Bell gets to buy whoever was dumb enough to do that.

For old times sake, I'm hoping Microsoft buys Bell, and all of Canada's telecommunications henceforth is run on the unbelievable amount of RAM in the EcksBone cloud.

E:Some mod is a pissy bone fanboy it seems.

Playstation 4 fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Aug 25, 2016

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

shadow puppet of a posted:

I've been saying this for awhile, but I'm pretty sure our future is a Bell/Telus merger and a Rogers/Shaw merger to give Canada a true Duopoly.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Just read a Bell stooge try to hold down the oligopoly side of things in a comments section for the Ookla study that was just published and his biggest supporting argument was population density of Canada holding us back from comparative price/service to the rest of the world.

This, in a country desperate to pretend they live in Manitoba and Saskatchewan. Everyone down the chain is disconnected from reality.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Zigmidge posted:

Just read a Bell stooge try to hold down the oligopoly side of things in a comments section for the Ookla study that was just published and his biggest supporting argument was population density of Canada holding us back from comparative price/service to the rest of the world.

This, in a country desperate to pretend they live in Manitoba and Saskatchewan. Everyone down the chain is disconnected from reality.

Funny how if you lop off the nonexistant population north of the 60th parallel and count only the actual provinces, our density loving doubles. Hell, take out the sparse as gently caress Labrador and focus on cities and the US border region housing pretty much everyone in the country and we can probably kick Norway's rear end in density too. The excuse is as useless as anything else Bell provides, along with their reasons for not being burned at a stake.

The northern areas should be managed by a government entity as is, there's no financial incentive outside of Yellowknife/Whitehorse proper to provide anything for those inhabitations.

Robellus delanda est

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
^ That's the spirit! Rogers must be destroyed! Nationalize the Cartel.

DariusLikewise posted:

I've been saying this for awhile, but I'm pretty sure our future is a Bell/Telus merger and a Rogers/Shaw merger to give Canada a true Duopoly.

Highlander was right. There can only be one.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I've been looking for a new company as I have to travel outside the wind zone now for work and gently caress paying those rooming rates.

Why wont any of these idiot company just let me buy service online if I want to bring my own phone. It shouldn't be that hard, ATT let you do it when I work in a call centre for them like 11 years ago.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

StealthArcher posted:

Funny how if you lop off the nonexistant population north of the 60th parallel and count only the actual provinces, our density loving doubles. Hell, take out the sparse as gently caress Labrador and focus on cities and the US border region housing pretty much everyone in the country and we can probably kick Norway's rear end in density too.

Yes, when you ignore the parts of the problem that make it a problem it suddenly ceases to be a problem.

It still takes money to build all the extra cell towers and backhaul fiber lines required to service rural Canada (and people who occasionally choose to leave the major cities), and those things still have to cover physical space so yeah, population density is still kind of a problem (not to mention the limited population available to cover the fixed costs of a buildout over X distance).

I was bored at work so I did some math. If you leave out everything north of say Edmonton (i.e., Labrador, Quebec and Ontario north of the shore of James Bay, the northern halves of the Western provinces and the entire territories), you cover 97+% of the population and yeah, more than double the population density - but that takes it from 3.6 people per square km to 9.4 and that rump portion of Canada would still be the 7th-largest country by area in the world. (Norway, for the record, comes in at 15.6/sq. km, and they have plenty of frozen wasteland to lop off too if only building cellular infrastructure worked that way.)

When WIND/Mobilicity tried to do without that and focus on the major cities, people complained about not getting service outside major cities when they were roadtripping, or having to roam onto one of the providers that didn't ignore flyover/drive-through country, or overall lovely service, and not enough people switched to them despite the competitive prices that were enabled by this very same strategy of "focusing on the cities" and despite endless regulatory policy seemingly devoted to the sole goal of enabling switching, and what do you know they sold out to the incumbents as soon as they were allowed to. Apparently, people want to be able to move with their mobile phones.

In a sane country buildouts over the gigantic amounts of unprofitable space that need to be covered to knit the parts of this country people actually live in together and allow them to communicate would make an excellent public infrastructure program/Crown corp (like the railways and highways were) but MAH TAX DOLLARS. Still, either we pay for the luxury of living too goddamn far apart as taxpayers, or we pay for it as customers.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Aug 25, 2016

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

Pivo posted:

I used to work for the company that owns Ting, if you want an occasional runabout pay-as-you-go thing, call the people at Ting, they're great, they'll help you.

If you don't use it, you still have to pay like $6 to keep the line active, but otherwise, yeah, Ting will hook you up. I worked on a totally different product so I can't give you details but Ting prides itself on good customer service so just call them. I think the SIMs are in Kroger or whatever, I don't know your American grocery stores, but basically they're an MVNO on Sprint and T-Mobile (although we're not allowed to use the T-Mobile name)

are you in st. catharines and do support for tucows

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Millstone posted:

are you in st. catharines and do support for tucows

I am in Toronto and I worked on software development on OpenSRS for Tucows. I left the company though for another opportunity. Really a great place to work. Never did get to visit the St Catherines office. Going to all the Ting demos and meetings was really fun though, my work was pretty dry compared to the task of running an MVNO!

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Where do you get your phones?

I'm giving up looking at phones and am just going to go with an Xperia Z5 Compact for my Virgin plan. Where do I even get those, reliably, and with the least amount of hassle, in Canada?

NCIX has a sale every once and a while and sells them for just under $600, so I was probably going to go with that since they've been fine to deal with in the past. Any better suggestions? I don't want to get it from some rando on eBay or a 3rd party seller on Amazon.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Dallan Invictus posted:

Yes, when you ignore the parts of the problem that make it a problem it suddenly ceases to be a problem.

It still takes money to build all the extra cell towers and backhaul fiber lines required to service rural Canada (and people who occasionally choose to leave the major cities), and those things still have to cover physical space so yeah, population density is still kind of a problem (not to mention the limited population available to cover the fixed costs of a buildout over X distance).

I was bored at work so I did some math. If you leave out everything north of say Edmonton (i.e., Labrador, Quebec and Ontario north of the shore of James Bay, the northern halves of the Western provinces and the entire territories), you cover 97+% of the population and yeah, more than double the population density - but that takes it from 3.6 people per square km to 9.4 and that rump portion of Canada would still be the 7th-largest country by area in the world. (Norway, for the record, comes in at 15.6/sq. km, and they have plenty of frozen wasteland to lop off too if only building cellular infrastructure worked that way.)

When WIND/Mobilicity tried to do without that and focus on the major cities, people complained about not getting service outside major cities when they were roadtripping, or having to roam onto one of the providers that didn't ignore flyover/drive-through country, or overall lovely service, and not enough people switched to them despite the competitive prices that were enabled by this very same strategy of "focusing on the cities" and despite endless regulatory policy seemingly devoted to the sole goal of enabling switching, and what do you know they sold out to the incumbents as soon as they were allowed to. Apparently, people want to be able to move with their mobile phones.

In a sane country buildouts over the gigantic amounts of unprofitable space that need to be covered to knit the parts of this country people actually live in together and allow them to communicate would make an excellent public infrastructure program/Crown corp (like the railways and highways were) but MAH TAX DOLLARS. Still, either we pay for the luxury of living too goddamn far apart as taxpayers, or we pay for it as customers.

This is all absolutely spot on.

ColonelMoutard
May 24, 2004

odiv posted:

Where do you get your phones?

I'm giving up looking at phones and am just going to go with an Xperia Z5 Compact for my Virgin plan. Where do I even get those, reliably, and with the least amount of hassle, in Canada?

NCIX has a sale every once and a while and sells them for just under $600, so I was probably going to go with that since they've been fine to deal with in the past. Any better suggestions? I don't want to get it from some rando on eBay or a 3rd party seller on Amazon.

I know this sounds sketchy, but aliexpress sellers have them for well under 600 and I've bought phones from aliexpress in the past and all has gone well.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I got my Nexus6P for -$150 off list price from Craigslist but that kinda involves randos.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Dallan Invictus posted:

The problem with WIND was that their service was garbage in the cities where they had coverage. I was fine roaming outside of Calgary, but when I couldn't get data to work in Calgary, I was done.

All the people I knew with WIND felt the same way. You know what you were getting into when you signed up, but then they couldn't even deliver that

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Did Mobilicity get better? Was able to watch Netflix on the Skytrain in Vancouver and I don't lose signal as in the tunnels now.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Acer Pilot posted:

Did Mobilicity get better? Was able to watch Netflix on the Skytrain in Vancouver and I don't lose signal as in the tunnels now.

Rogers put cell towers in the downtown SkyTrain tunnels a few weeks ago.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Yeah I noticed that too. Still have the 2 block dead zone right at Boundary road and Loughheed Highway though at the McDonald's there. Is Chatr/mobilicity still on the same crap spectrum as it was before? Or will the rogers switch over change that?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

less than three posted:

Rogers put cell towers in the downtown SkyTrain tunnels a few weeks ago.

It's pretty cool, apparently they're going to put cell towers in the other tunnels too, like Edmond and that New West millenium line curve

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
So the Moto G4 Play that Canadian telcos are hawking is cobbled together from the discarded leftovers of the G3, right?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Hey I'm late to this as I rarely come to this forum, but how is this public mobile?

Can build a decent plan for Alberta.

Basically for what I'm paying with Virgin but more data (1GB vs 750), unlimited (vs 1000)Canada, unlimited US calling (vs none) and adds unlimited US texting in addition to Canada.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Yeah, someone vouch for this Public Mobile. Telus bought them in 2013 so coming from Koodo it looks like I'd get the same coverage. Seems pretty no frills which is fine for me seeing I buy my phones cash or second hand anyway, though I'm so loving close to getting a tab because this X Play is loving garbonzo and I dont have $500+ right now to buy something thats actually flagship.