Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Arglebargle III posted:

Supposedly Ron Moore inserted the tongue in cheek technobabble scene with Riker and the Ferengi guy in Rascals.

Copied from Memory Alpha, because I love the hell out of Fizzbin scenes.

:riker: "Okay, Morta. The Enterprise computer system is controlled by three primary main processor cores, cross-linked with redundant melacortz-ramistat 14-kiloquad interface modules. The core element is based on an FTL nanoprocessor with 25 bilateral kelilactirals. With twenty of those being slaved into the primary Heisenfram terminals. Now, you know what a bilateral kelilactiral is?"

:mad: "Of course I do, Human. I am not stupid!"

:riker: "No. Of course not. This is the isopalavial interface which controls the main firomantal drive unit. Don't touch that - you'll blow up the entire firomantal drive."

:sweatdrop: "Alright, wa..wa..Wait! Wha..what is a, a ferromactal drive? Just explain it to me!"

:riker: "That is the firomantal drive unit, it controls the ramistat core and keeps the ontarian manifold at 40,000 KRGs. The firomantal drive is powered by..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

After The War posted:

Copied from Memory Alpha, because I love the hell out of Fizzbin scenes.

:riker: "Okay, Morta. The Enterprise computer system is controlled by three primary main processor cores, cross-linked with redundant melacortz-ramistat 14-kiloquad interface modules. The core element is based on an FTL nanoprocessor with 25 bilateral kelilactirals. With twenty of those being slaved into the primary Heisenfram terminals. Now, you know what a bilateral kelilactiral is?"

:mad: "Of course I do, Human. I am not stupid!"

:riker: "No. Of course not. This is the isopalavial interface which controls the main firomantal drive unit. Don't touch that - you'll blow up the entire firomantal drive."

:sweatdrop: "Alright, wa..wa..Wait! Wha..what is a, a ferromactal drive? Just explain it to me!"

:riker: "That is the firomantal drive unit, it controls the ramistat core and keeps the ontarian manifold at 40,000 KRGs. The firomantal drive is powered by..."

A lot of that technology was first developed when Riker was serving aboard the Lollipop.

It was a good ship.

Echo Video
Jan 17, 2004

T.C. posted:

I had only ever seen the scene in the badlands where they get grabbed to the delta quadrant, which is entirely lacking in intensity... I didn't realize there was more.

https://youtu.be/SaWyA6F3Qxc

Like, some of that is pretty darned good for early production. The waterless planet stuff sells really well, and she feels troubled in the tuvok scene. You have to change your expectations a little, because she's certainly playing a more brooding and thoughtful character then Mulgrew, but that's fine.

The bridge stuff is definitely subdued.

she's great in the tuvok scene and gets great results from tim russ, it's just everyone else is overacting hams

also I wish she could have been the first quebecois captain, just yelling tabernac across the spaceways

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Russ actually comes off a lot more Spock-like in that footage, there's a lot of restrained warmth that I think got drilled out of anyone playing a Vulcan after a certain point.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So why did Bujold bail out of the show?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Rhyno posted:

quote:

she dropped out after filming just a few scenes of the first episode, citing the lengthy work schedule for a TV series and her unwillingness to do news interviews.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Also, her Janeway was intended to be Iraqi and she didn't know how to pronounce Farsi words.

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head

Echo Video posted:

she's great in the tuvok scene and gets great results from tim russ, it's just everyone else is overacting hams

also I wish she could have been the first quebecois captain, just yelling tabernac across the spaceways

"Captain, the Kazon are back"

"ah ostie de tabarnak, fire de torpedoes, un gang du crosseurs caaaaalisse"

Crew stares at each other blankly

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I don't give a poo poo how terrible the working hours are. Google tells me that Mulgrew is worth 5 million. I'm sure Trek had something to do with that.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Also, her Janeway was intended to be Iraqi and she didn't know how to pronounce Farsi words.
I've never heard that....where did that come from?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Does Farsi spill over into Iraq? I thought pretty much all of Iraq spoke Arabic and Farsi was limited to Iran.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I've never heard that....where did that come from?

Well, they hired an Englishman to play a Frenchman. Logically, they hired a Quebecoise to play something totally different :v:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rhyno posted:

In addition to being totally unprepared for working 15-hour days, she didn't get along with anyone in the cast and crew.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Gorewar posted:

"Captain, the Kazon are back"

"ah ostie de tabarnak, fire de torpedoes, un gang du crosseurs caaaaalisse"

Crew stares at each other blankly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoBk8bxU1rs

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Rhyno posted:

Man, Future's End is horrifying. They panned across the LA boardwalk and it took a few seconds for me to realize that yes, this is what 1996 actually looked like.
I remember watching that episode back in '96 and thinking even at the time that everything was especially ugly. I chalk it up to their costume department not being used to working with real styles. It makes sense for the Voyager crew to be dressed kind of strangely, but it seemed like even the time-natives were dressed like they were out of an after-school special or something.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

So uh Brent Spiner is loving aces in Outcast.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Knormal posted:

I remember watching that episode back in '96 and thinking even at the time that everything was especially ugly. I chalk it up to their costume department not being used to working with real styles. It makes sense for the Voyager crew to be dressed kind of strangely, but it seemed like even the time-natives were dressed like they were out of an after-school special or something.

Some of the other time travel episodes have the same issue, but you're less likely to notice if, say, the 19th century costumes are cartoonish exaggerations (no, Mark Twain didn't dress like that all the time) than when it happens to the present day. Star Trek's costumers have always struggled with their non-Star Fleet wardrobes. The Fed civilians in TOS have this very weird mix of flamboyant contemporary (or somewhat old fashioned) styles or drab jumpsuits and space pajama.. The aliens usually wear repurposed costumes from old historical epics or more bland jumpsuits. For the civilian attire from the movies, everyone had those awesome (but not particularly future-y) leather jackets and McCoy had that inexplicable disco medallion. TNG only had two main characters who weren't in standard uniforms and they were a nerd in a weird one-piece space turtleneck and a grown woman who went to work all day in a variety of tight blue leotard get-ups. Weirdly, Troi's mom, whose outfits are supposed to say "loud and flashy," comes across as pretty much the only character who actually dresses with a sense of style. Factor in the upholstery fabrics in DS9 and the horrible nonsense then came up with for the aliens of the week in Voyager and it's not a pretty picture. I read a little bit of the Fashion It So blog, but it was too depressing (also I'm a nerd who doesn't really care about fashion).

What amazes me though, is that despite Trek being on the air for half a century, we never got a coherent picture of how Federation civilians dressed and, aside from the love of one-pieces, how it's actually different from our era.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Timby posted:

In addition to being totally unprepared for working 15-hour days, she didn't get along with anyone in the cast and crew.

15 hours is basically the TV/film standard, so lol

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Duckbag posted:

Some of the other time travel episodes have the same issue, but you're less likely to notice if, say, the 19th century costumes are cartoonish exaggerations (no, Mark Twain didn't dress like that all the time) than when it happens to the present day. Star Trek's costumers have always struggled with their non-Star Fleet wardrobes. The Fed civilians in TOS have this very weird mix of flamboyant contemporary (or somewhat old fashioned) styles or drab jumpsuits and space pajama.. The aliens usually wear repurposed costumes from old historical epics or more bland jumpsuits. For the civilian attire from the movies, everyone had those awesome (but not particularly future-y) leather jackets and McCoy had that inexplicable disco medallion. TNG only had two main characters who weren't in standard uniforms and they were a nerd in a weird one-piece space turtleneck and a grown woman who went to work all day in a variety of tight blue leotard get-ups. Weirdly, Troi's mom, whose outfits are supposed to say "loud and flashy," comes across as pretty much the only character who actually dresses with a sense of style. Factor in the upholstery fabrics in DS9 and the horrible nonsense then came up with for the aliens of the week in Voyager and it's not a pretty picture. I read a little bit of the Fashion It So blog, but it was too depressing (also I'm a nerd who doesn't really care about fashion).

What amazes me though, is that despite Trek being on the air for half a century, we never got a coherent picture of how Federation civilians dressed and, aside from the love of one-pieces, how it's actually different from our era.

I thought they did a great job on the civvie stuff on Yorktown in the new movie.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Yeah, it seemed pretty good, but they didn't show a ton of it, so I'm having a little trouble remembering what it actually looked like.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Quark's outfits are the high point of Trek fashion. It's not even close.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

The Dark One posted:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Dark One posted:

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Nice try, but that's clearly Lumba.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

the guy that's captured data in "The Most Toys" is shatnering like a motherfucker

this is some a+ scenery chewing

also, season 3 of TNG is the season of shameful holodeck usage, with Barclay's larping and data's ship boning

PenguinKnight fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Aug 26, 2016

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

in the 24th century, we have put aside our petty differences. we now have the technology to create clothing from live bees.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

PenguinKnight posted:

the guy that's captured data in "The Most Toys" is shatnering like a motherfucker

this is some a+ scenery chewing

also, season 3 of TNG is the season of shameful holodeck usage, with Barclay's larping and data's ship boning

It's amazing they were able to find that dude half-way through the episode's production.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Man, the Chakotay/Janeway dynamic was soooo good. They had some fairly good chemistry and their interactions were usually very enjoyable. But not a dead Borg popped up so I know the good times they are ending for those two.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Yeah, I'd say the turning point for their relationship comes in Scorpion. It's a pretty solid two-parter (certainly by Voyager standards, anyway), so I don't want to ruin it for you, but be on the look out for the way it "resolves" the tension that comes up between them.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
It's that time, again.

The goddamn Space Irish episode is on.

Bales of hay and the horny redheaded lady all over the place.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
And the clones. Oh, the clones.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

What the gently caress is that?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

What the gently caress is that?

It's a Vogon Vorgon!

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Vorgon

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Big Mean Jerk posted:

in the 24th century, we have put aside our petty differences. we now have the technology to create clothing from live bees.

Ahem. That is quite clearly a 27th century article of clothing, thank you.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The script for "Captain's Holiday" describes Ajur and Boratus as simply, "Two sleek and well dressed aliens"

WTF

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Gonz posted:

It's that time, again.

The goddamn Space Irish episode is on.

Bales of hay and the horny redheaded lady all over the place.

But drat that redhead is hot as hell.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
So today is my birthday, and as my wife pointed out, I am now in Section 31 whether I want to be or not.

:argh:SLOAN!!!!!:argh:

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

The script for "Captain's Holiday" describes Ajur and Boratus as simply, "Two sleek and well dressed aliens"

WTF
Blame the 80''s sense of "fashion". Even if it was 1990.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Duckbag posted:

Yeah, I'd say the turning point for their relationship comes in Scorpion. It's a pretty solid two-parter (certainly by Voyager standards, anyway), so I don't want to ruin it for you, but be on the look out for the way it "resolves" the tension that comes up between them.
And then it's revisited in Equinox!!!