Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Jerk McJerkface posted:

find someone with an iPhone5 that has the latest updates that is happy with their phone's performance.
Still got 0-day security updates today the same day as disclosure. Sadly that's probably not as important to most users but it should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm pretty unhappy they're dropping the Nexus 5 because I recommended it to my mother two years ago specifically as a low-cost phone that would be well-supported for a long time, since she doesn't replace phones very often.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

MikeJF posted:

I'm pretty unhappy they're dropping the Nexus 5 because I recommended it to my mother two years ago specifically as a low-cost phone that would be well-supported and operating for a long time, since she doesn't replace phones very often.
My mom only today replaced her Galaxy S3 with a Note 7. I'm not even sure what version of Android it was still on. I'm guessing Jelly Bean.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

butt dickus posted:

They should be supporting it because their biggest competitor supports their devices for much longer. The iPhone 5 came out in 2012, was discontinued in 2013 and is still supported in 2016. Google also needs to put money into it because it keeps people in their ecosystem.

Hardly anyone cares about updates to devices that old though.

butt dickus posted:

Comparing it to a 486 doesn't make sense, either. If the General Mobile 4G with a Snapdragon 410 (The same SoC as the 2015 Moto G if you'd like to compare benchmarks) is getting 7.0, the Nexus 5 with an 800 should be able to run it as well.

You're missing the point of the comparison.

MikeJF posted:

I'm pretty unhappy they're dropping the Nexus 5 because I recommended it to my mother two years ago specifically as a low-cost phone that would be well-supported for a long time, since she doesn't replace phones very often.

No one should recommend any Android device if they're hoping for iPhone levels of update support. This was even more apparent 2 years ago when you recommended a 1 year old phone.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Thermopyle posted:

No one should recommend any Android device if they're hoping for iPhone levels of update support. This was even more apparent 2 years ago when you recommended a 1 year old phone.

iphone support? What do they promise, exactly? That you'll get the ios downgrade update on time, every year? lol

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

lol indeed

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Ozmiander posted:

iphone support? What do they promise, exactly? That you'll get the ios downgrade update on time, every year? lol

I'm not sure what they promise, I'm just going by the fact that it gets brought up in this thread that older devices get the latest iOS...

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Thermopyle posted:

I'm not sure what they promise, I'm just going by the fact that it gets brought up in this thread that older devices get the latest iOS...

When my Nexus 5 got M, it actually got FASTER. Never heard that about anyone's old iphone.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

Except the Nexus line always had. Galaxy Nexus got 4.3. Nexus 4 got Lollipop. Google has always keept the last two Nexus phones up to date until now.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Aug 26, 2016

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Thermopyle posted:

Says who? People in this thread who buy one or more phones per year?

Thermopyle posted:

Then what is the point? The age? A 486DX2 purchased in '92 could run Windows 98. I'm not expecting 6 years of updates but I don't think 4 years of updates and 5 years of security patches is unreasonable for a device released with a state-of-the-art processor by a company who designs the operating system and works closely with the SoC vendor.

Thermopyle posted:

This I can agree with, but I wish that wasn't the case.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's worth mentioning for the iPhone 5 that though that model was discontinued in 2013, the iPhone 5c uses essentially the same internals and was discontinued in Sept of last year. That absolutely factors into the support plans. If the N5 had continued to be sold by Google until last fall, it also be getting continual support from them through Sept of 2017.

iPhone 5 support is essentially 'free' at this point since they need to continue supporting the iPhone 5c.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Ok then, the 4S from 2011 received 5 years of OS updates.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

butt dickus posted:

Ok then, the 4S from 2011 received 5 years of OS updates.
Yes but it didn't receive all of the new features and got slower over time and blah blah blah

We're just going in circles.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Thermopyle posted:

Your experience here is skewed. I'd say the vast majority of my clients are using iPhone 5 or 5s, a much smaller number have the 6 and even less 6s. I still see one or two iPhone 4 a month. If you're a person who keeps a phone for more than 2 years (most people) the android ecosystem is a nonstarter.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I keep phones for an average of like 6 months or less. Hotsauce is my inspiration.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
aside from this thread I've never encountered a single person whose life was consumed with worry over the upgrade future of their phones, yet held on to them like it was their first born child's blanket.

i mean jesus christ i'm at almost 3 and a half years on my HTC One but I don't say a prayer every night hoping the Good Lord Above will magically deliver me Nougaty goodness.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

MikeJF posted:

Except the Nexus line always had. Galaxy Nexus got 4.3. Nexus 4 got Lollipop. Google has always keept the last two Nexus phones up to date until now.

The only reason why your 2 generation math works is the 2016 Nexus devices aren't released yet. The prior two generations of nexus devices are the N6 and the 6p/5x and they are getting N. Just because the paint isn't dry yet on the 2016 nexus devices doesn't mean that the 6p/5x are current generation. They aren't.

Galaxy Nexus was released in 2011. Its max Android Version (Jelly Bean) was released in 2013.
Nexus 4 was released in 2012. Its max Android Version (Lollipop) was released in 2014.
Nexus 5 was released in 2013. Its max Android Version (Marshmallow) was released in 2015.

It's been very consistent and this generation is not breaking with it. Nexus devices max out at the major version revision released 2 years after the device and then they max out with security updates to that major revision until 1 year after cessation of sales (which usually means 3 years after release.) Yes, that's 2 years fewer support than Apple devices. If you are going to keep a device beyond the 3 year mark and you are concerned about security, then you should probably buy Apple.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Aug 26, 2016

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Ozmiander posted:

When my Nexus 5 got M, it actually got FASTER. Never heard that about anyone's old iphone.

I envy you. My 5 has developed about a half second of latency responding to presses. I assume it's from the two cracks across the screen or damage to the PCB. It's been through a lot and started it's life as a white Nexus that worked, and now it's a black Nexus with a cracked screen, Bluetooth drains the battery in a few hours even when not in use, the GPS quantizes location to about 100m, the microphone doesn't work when on speakerphone, and the volume down button is going out like the power button did (replaced).

I was kind of banking on a new device in the next month, so I hope I don't have to wait much longer.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

CLAM DOWN posted:

I keep phones for an average of like 6 months or less. Hotsauce is my inspiration.

I change phones every six months because T-Mobile is pretty loving great.

And I'm totally torn on the Galaxy Note 7. On one hand, it's an amazing looking phone with some fun/potentially useful features that the iPhone doesn't (and probably will never) have. On the other hand, well, you need the other hand to hold the Note 7.

Also is there any way to change the screen density of the Note 7? Everything seemed comically large on the unit they had at Best Buy.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

lelandjs posted:

I change phones every six months because T-Mobile is pretty loving great.

And I'm totally torn on the Galaxy Note 7. On one hand, it's an amazing looking phone with some fun/potentially useful features that the iPhone doesn't (and probably will never) have. On the other hand, well, you need the other hand to hold the Note 7.

Also is there any way to change the screen density of the Note 7? Everything seemed comically large on the unit they had at Best Buy.

There is UI size scaling options yes, mine looks normal/small, I'm guessing the display model may have been enlarged?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

CLAM DOWN posted:

There is UI size scaling options yes, mine looks normal/small, I'm guessing the display model may have been enlarged?

I actually hopped into the display settings to check and there was a larger/smaller setting, but it was already set to small.

Could be that I've just forgotten how large app icons and things usually are on smartphones, I've had my iPhone SE set to the iPhone 6's resolution since I jailbroke it a month ago.

[Edit: just changed my SE back to the resolution it's supposed to be and oh yeah okay the Note 7's UI elements are the same size, I'm just a sperg that wants as much stuff on then screen as possible]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Aug 26, 2016

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

butt dickus posted:

Says who? People in this thread who buy one or more phones per year?

Look at the most popular Android phones over time and tell me that people are weighing update longevity heavily in their purchasing decisions.

butt dickus posted:

Then what is the point? The age? A 486DX2 purchased in '92 could run Windows 98. I'm not expecting 6 years of updates but I don't think 4 years of updates and 5 years of security patches is unreasonable for a device released with a state-of-the-art processor by a company who designs the operating system and works closely with the SoC vendor.

The point is that a phone that is old will not be running the latest operating system updates just like a PC that is old will not.

What makes a phone old is not the same thing that makes a PC old. It's like dog years.

butt dickus posted:

This I can agree with, but I wish that wasn't the case.

It will continue to be the case until the phone hardware platform matures to the point the PC market did say 25 years ago or so. And it took the PC decades to get the point where it was the norm that you could install a new operating system on a PC that was many years old.

uPen posted:

Your experience here is skewed. I'd say the vast majority of my clients are using iPhone 5 or 5s, a much smaller number have the 6 and even less 6s. I still see one or two iPhone 4 a month. If you're a person who keeps a phone for more than 2 years (most people) the android ecosystem is a nonstarter.

I'm saying most people don't heavily weigh update longevity/frequency when purchasing a new device. Your post sounds like you think you're contradicting me, so either you don't understand what I was saying or I don't understand what you're saying.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

butt dickus posted:

They sold it to Lenovo.
I meant the patents, not the company.

butt dickus posted:

Multiple languages simultaneously? I see people complain about that last one a lot.
Multiple languages simultaneously on the keyboard? Many third party keyboards support multiple languages simultaneously as do all Samsung phones, can't imagine this is high on Google's list of priorities.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

My mom only today replaced her Galaxy S3 with a Note 7. I'm not even sure what version of Android it was still on. I'm guessing Jelly Bean.
It actually made it all the way to Kit Kat.

Regarding updates, I think their importance is a bit overblown in this thread (security updates aside). There hasn't been anything that fundamentally changes the way you use your phone in an Android update for years now. I couldn't care less if I get updates on the very same day they're launched, as they just tend to break poo poo, as long as the device isn't immediately abandoned by the manufacturer like my old Droid Maxx was.

As to why Google doesn't support the Nexus as long as the iPhone, they really have no incentive to. They're not in the game to move Nexus hardware and most Nexus users are die hard loyalists who will buy the next one regardless.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Samsung and Verizon have successfully trained my friend to hate getting updates since every one they send seems to break whatever his current phone happens to be (I think it's an S6 now, but he had an S3 that seemed to give him nothing but trouble - no, I don't understand why he bought another Samsung, either).

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I hope Netflix decides to add multi window support soon. Tried it out with YouTube and Play Video, and it's exactly what I want from the feature. :pray:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Is there any real technical reason why it has to be supported? Why can't the phone just tell the app half the screen is all the screen?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

MikeJF posted:

Is there any real technical reason why it has to be supported? Why can't the phone just tell the app half the screen is all the screen?

For this use case anyway, the app needs to know that it is in a specialized situation where it shouldn't force landscape orientation.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

MikeJF posted:

It would probably freak out and break.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MikeJF posted:

There are a few reasons. Apps that use full screen mode may not behave sensibly, for example. Some apps are poorly designed and don't handle layout changes well when you suddenly put them in a screen that is approximately square with the right positioning of the splitter. Also Android apps have quite a complicated life cycle in regards to them gaining/losing focus and being on the screen or not. Having an app actively running on the screen that isn't the current focus of the user requires some specific logic if you want it to continue to do things. This one would particularly apply to video players.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Tunga posted:

Having an app actively running on the screen that isn't the current focus of the user requires some specific logic if you want it to continue to do things. This one would particularly apply to video players.

Or even little things like music players not updating the progress bar when the other pane has "focus."

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

You'd tell both apps they have focus when they're on screen. I don't see any hard limitations as to why you wouldn't be able sandbox an app so that it thinks that this is the entire screen and it's front and centre. Worst thing is that you might have to reboot the app when changing the 'screen' resolution.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Aug 26, 2016

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

So today I got to uninstall whatsapp because I couldn't accept the new user agreement. They want to sell my number and send me ads? No thx, it's just a messaging app.

Welp back to SMS with most of my friends since I don't use facebook either. Why all good things must come to an end? I'd have gladly paid even 10€/year from whatsapp for it to stay aids-free.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I don't use whatsapp but I believe you could have just scrolled down and unticked the box that lets them do that

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Skarsnik posted:

I don't use whatsapp but I believe you could have just scrolled down and unticked the box that lets them do that

You can opt out of the personalized advertising, but not of the sharing your phone number with Facebook. It's probably useless anyway, because they likely just share your whole address book, and you can't be sure that every single person that has your number has opted out as well.

e: At least that's how I'm reading this:

quote:

How do I choose not to share my account information with Facebook to improve my Facebook ads and products experiences?

If you are an existing user, you can choose not to share your account information with Facebook to improve your Facebook ads and products experiences.

[...]

The Facebook family of companies will still receive and use this information for other purposes such as improving infrastructure and delivery systems, understanding how our services or theirs are used, securing systems, and fighting spam, abuse, or infringement activities.

Tamba fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Aug 26, 2016

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Tunga posted:

Why would you need to interact with the bottom window when you're typing into the top window?

I agree that it's more useful on a tablet than a phone but it's not like you're forced to use it so no point in disabling it on phones.

I suppose for the same reason you might want any other two windows side-by-side. Let's say you're texting your idiot friends while watching Netflix, per the example on android.com.

However, doing so means you have to squish two apps on top of each other on a hand-sized display. I don't think that is ideal as, given the input issue and the fact that apps are significantly, well, squished, you're making usability worse.

Of course there's not a gun held to your head; but just because it's an option doesn't make it a good, useful option, especially if using it comes with an asterisk saying 'yeah, you can use this, but you may as well not bother if you're going to input text'.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
My battery life seems worse on N than it was on M. I'm not seeing the crazy battery drain that people are complaining about on reddit (from Android services or something?) but it';s definitely worse. Last couple of evenings the phone needed putting on charge about 10pm, 11p, whereas normally it makes it through the day without one. Any suggestions?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Skarsnik posted:

Yeah, just let the knife be in your leg. It stops bleeding soon and isn't even that harmful since it didn't hit any veins, you'll get used to it. Until they start twisting it and then finally repeatedly stab you in the chest, and in the end there's only a bloody mess left of what used to be you :unsmigghh:

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MikeJF posted:

You'd tell both apps they have focus when they're on screen. I don't see any hard limitations as to why you wouldn't be able sandbox an app so that it thinks that this is the entire screen and it's front and centre. Worst thing is that you might have to reboot the app when changing the 'screen' resolution.
Well this is not how it works because app focus/lifecycle has never worked this way on Android and it would screw up a lot of custom behaviours such as those involving input focus and keyboards that are needed surprisingly often when writing for Android.

spincube posted:

Of course there's not a gun held to your head; but just because it's an option doesn't make it a good, useful option, especially if using it comes with an asterisk saying 'yeah, you can use this, but you may as well not bother if you're going to input text'.
Honestly it works fine. The keyboard briefly covers your movie while you type your dumb message and then it goes away. Having this possibility is still an improvement over having to task switch between apps because that choice still exists exactly as it did before and the new way doesn't happen accidentally or get in the way of normal usability at all.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Aug 26, 2016

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Does anyone have any experience with Citrix Worx? From the description given at work, the admins can supposedly wipe everything on the phone, to include cloud accounts and storage. If that's true, is there any way to sandbox the thing like Nine does with Exchange?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
lol Samsung giving you some great iris scanner options, almost as good as the font choices.