Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

aellisr posted:

I can think of a host of left leaning celebrities that would be equally as unqualified as Trump: Sean Penn, Ke$sha, Kanye....probably Ke$ha would be the best analogue though.

These people are all good and successful in their lines of work, which make them different from Trump who has been exposed to the nation as a lovely businessman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

axe_vendetta posted:

McGovern was hardly extremist, he merely wanted an end to the Vietnam war. The Democratic party simply couldn't produce a candidate like Trump, because he relies on the extreme right wing media that supports his conspiracy theories. I mean, what would the Democratic party equivalent of a Trump even look like?

A lot of this had to do with Ted Kennedy being a prick as well

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I can talk about this at length, but in a nutshell: She had a talk show which was cray (The Soup had great fun with clips from it), it got cancelled, she fired everyone on America's Next Top Model except herself and then it got cancelled, but now it's back on a different network but she's not starring on it anymore. My dentist's wife is a producer on the new version so I know alllll the dirt, but I can't imagine it would interest USPOL too much.

Huh. I only vaguely know that America's Next Top Model existed because of television ads. I haven't consistently watched TV in years. That's kind of interesting though, maybe there's a thread in the TV subforum that would be relevant? I honestly don't go there, so I wouldn't know.

I don't think she would be a good equivalent of Donald Trump though. I just don't think there's anybody who would be able to harness left-wing populism and fool everyone into their particular brand of con so they could make bank off the attempt. Way more of the Democratic electorate would have to be like the Green Party for it to work.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
Whoa, my wife and I stopped watching ANTM like 6 years ago and we didn't know she had some insane flameout. She never really seemed like much of a con like Trump though, the guy was basically carved out of the just world fallacy and the republican id.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lightning Knight posted:

Huh. I only vaguely know that America's Next Top Model existed because of television ads. I haven't consistently watched TV in years. That's kind of interesting though, maybe there's a thread in the TV subforum that would be relevant? I honestly don't go there, so I wouldn't know.

I don't think she would be a good equivalent of Donald Trump though. I just don't think there's anybody who would be able to harness left-wing populism and fool everyone into their particular brand of con so they could make bank off the attempt. Way more of the Democratic electorate would have to be like the Green Party for it to work.

Maybe some anti-vax nutjob?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The "trigger warning" concept has for some time been subjected to heavy mockery and pushback from just about all corners. The backlash against it is not simply an "alt-right" thing (anymore?). Arguments have emerged that it's DIY censorship, pitiful little help for students who aren't going to be "coddled" after college, defeats the idea that college "challenges your assumptions," and so on.

(The idea that college doesn't coddle your development in countless ways already or that it really challenges your worldview is a whole other bread basket full of bullshit to sort through).

It has also of course led to numerous political fables, as mentioned--a friend of a friend said/did a thing and then everyone's day was ruined by an intellectual safe space. The extreme argument, that "empowerment" is here actually a corrupting force encouraging people to behave like children instead of thinking critically, is being buoyed by apocryphal stories of crying women who shut down a classroom because they can't read words on a page or hear the word rape in any context without becoming disruptive and well, you know, hysterical.

The topic is also revealing all sorts of unsavory stuff, like that we don't have the societal infrastructure to "deal" with PTSD.

quote:

"This program may contain strong language and some adult situations. Viewer discretion is advised."

Trigger warnings have been broadcast before every slightly risqué tv show since the 90's and those groaning over TWs now had no problem with that, in fact they demanded it.

True, but TV censorship is also nearly dead, and TV is a willing enterprise rather than a mandatory one. TV advisories are also meant for children.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Aug 26, 2016

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Rhesus Pieces posted:

"This program may contain strong language and some adult situations. Viewer discretion is advised."

Trigger warnings have been broadcast before every slightly risqué tv show since the 90's and those groaning over TWs now had no problem with that, in fact they demanded it.

The kinds of people most likely to raise a stink about trigger warnings were born in the 90's. They barely knew of the concept. Chances are they've had free reign on violent/smutty content since the turn of the century, thanks to the internet.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Axetrain posted:

Bill Maher, maybe.

I'd vote for him in a general election. Can't imagine the attack ads against an atheist candidate, though.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I'd vote for him in a general election. Can't imagine the attack ads against an atheist candidate, though.

Really, you'd vote for the neocolonialist anti-vaxxer with some particularly childish atheism on the side?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Bill Maher Spends All Night Arguing With Republican Hooker

quote:

"He was like, 'How can a whore support an administration that legislates against her own livelihood?" Dobson said. "And I was like, 'Don't call me a whore.'"

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Maybe some anti-vax nutjob?

I would really like to believe that the Democratic general electorate wouldn't go crazy for that.

I feel like for there to be a left-wing equivalent of Donald Trump there would have to be some kind of insane Presidency, like an even worse W., in order to motivate people to fall in line behind the crazy. That's implicitly part of why Trump is succeeding, that the Republicans have convinced their voters that Obama is the anti-Christ who will destroy America and has been destroying America and we must defeat him At All Costs. Well Trump is basically At All Costs, appealing to enough of the base to win the primary, and many of the rest will just hold their noses because he's Not Obama and Not Hillary.

Maybe in some hypothetical world where Dick Cheney had a) run after W. and b) had a chance in hell of winning, we could've seen the rise of left-wing Trump. But even then, I really doubt it.

Edit: I keep wanting to call Trump, Donald, because we refer to Hillary as such. But nah, gently caress that guy. I do look forward to him getting super mad when Hillary calls him Donald at the debates in the most condescending mom tone in the universe, DNC style.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

See this is what I'm talking about.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Axetrain posted:

See this is what I'm talking about.

There's a man who can stay focused on the real issues. :fsmug:

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

I mean I get its an Onion article but if I hadn't clicked the link I would not really have doubted it.

Maher kind of fits the reverse Trump role. He's an outsider in that he has never held office, buys into some weird conspiracy theories, and is mostly just a narcissistic celebrity who wants attention.

E: And his views aren't all that in line with what would be considered normal democratic ideas.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lightning Knight posted:

I would really like to believe that the Democratic general electorate wouldn't go crazy for that.

I feel like for there to be a left-wing equivalent of Donald Trump there would have to be some kind of insane Presidency, like an even worse W., in order to motivate people to fall in line behind the crazy. That's implicitly part of why Trump is succeeding, that the Republicans have convinced their voters that Obama is the anti-Christ who will destroy America and has been destroying America and we must defeat him At All Costs. Well Trump is basically At All Costs, appealing to enough of the base to win the primary, and many of the rest will just hold their noses because he's Not Obama and Not Hillary.

Maybe in some hypothetical world where Dick Cheney had a) run after W. and b) had a chance in hell of winning, we could've seen the rise of left-wing Trump. But even then, I really doubt it.

Edit: I keep wanting to call Trump, Donald, because we refer to Hillary as such. But nah, gently caress that guy. I do look forward to him getting super mad when Hillary calls him Donald at the debates in the most condescending mom tone in the universe, DNC style.

I guess I've been assuming our left-wing Trump is evil and horrible like him, not someone cool leftists like us would actually like. I think realistically the only true leftist extremists history has to offer us were real into guillotines and gulags, and once you get all authoritarian dictatorship about things you're not much of a leftist in my book.

And you should call him Donnie.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

I guess I've been assuming our left-wing Trump is evil and horrible like him, not someone cool leftists like us would actually like. I think realistically the only true leftist extremists history has to offer us were real into guillotines and gulags, and once you get all authoritarian dictatorship about things you're not much of a leftist in my book.

In my estimation, the thing that would make a left-wing populist a Trump equivalent is that they're offering what people want to hear, not what is actually realistic, in the interests of making money later off of things like book sales. That's why I don't think it's a fair comparison to Bernie, because while he played fast and loose with policy he was never suggesting blatantly impossible things like building a wall (and making Mexico pay for it), or deporting all of the Muslims. Trump is first and foremost a conman; he's not running to be the President, he's basking in the glory and counting on the checks he's going to get later for his inevitable books and media tie-ins. Many of his followers are true believers, but Trump is clearly not, or at least not to the same extent. I believe he's a racist, but he's not the outrageous fascist he portrays himself as. He's just doing what they want to hear so he can run a scam on them, the best scam anyone ever ran, the yuuuugest scam. Because the right-wing media sphere has groomed these people for decades to be susceptible to the same poo poo from everyone else on the right, he succeeded quite easily. He out-conned the conmen. And that's why I don't think there can be a left-wing equivalent to Donald Trump. Ideologues and extremists? Sure. Populists? Absolutely. But the con artist nature of Trump, that's one of a kind and exclusive to the modern American Right.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

aellisr posted:

You know, to be fair, Ke$ha is more qualified than Donald, my apologies. I really am drawing a blank as to what a Democratic version of Trump would look like.

Someone who wants to open all borders and end all militaristic advances.
Take all the wealth from the donor classes and help fund social programs.
Runs on a campaign of forgiveness of all transgressions and betterment through simple living
Would have to look possibly Arabic, maybe even Israeli.
Comes from the poorest living conditions.
Has never taken a wife.
Long, flowing hair, completely ripped.........

Yeah, I got nothing.

Dr. Oz has a wife...

But seriously, it would be a snakeoil pusher like that who played people's fears of big government spying to better steal your weed/raw milk/unvaccinated child. They'd cast the same doubt on facts and reality established by scientific inquiry and the credibility of experts. They'd have some halfbaked public works project or social service plan that will totally fix everything, they swear. They'd promise to slash and burn defense spending and probably disband the military, CIA, FBI, etc. Instead of immigrants they'd rail against big business as an ill-defined but singular evil that must be done away with.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

quote:

Added Dobson: "Then he asked me to put my face up next to his dick while he jerked off."

oh I guess he paid her to watch his show

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Clone Robespierre

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
You put a general list of heavy topics for each material covered in the syllabus. It's upfront and gives enough time to prepare. Seems harmless

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011
Trump is White Male identity politics. The dems can't have a national Trump figure so long as they are a diverse coalition not dominated by any one identity.

That's a contingent structural fact, not personal or organisational virtue.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

What do I not know about Ke$ha that makes her at all comparable to the American Mussolini? The only remotely political thing I've ever heard about her is that she objected to being forced to work with her rapist.

Civilized Fishbot posted:

These people are all good and successful in their lines of work, which make them different from Trump who has been exposed to the nation as a lovely businessman
Isn't Ke$ha also really smart? Like 'enrolled in an International Baccalaureate Program, near-perfect SAT scores and would drive to her local college after school to sneak into history lectures' smart. Seems like she's probably overqualified compared to a few politicians, not just Trump.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

radmonger posted:

The dems can't have a national Trump figure so long as they are a diverse coalition not dominated by any one identity.

That's a contingent structural fact, not personal or organisational virtue.

I agree with this.

You might be able to come up with a Dem personality that appeals to a specific sub-set of the Democratic Party's coalition, i.e. an anti-vaxxer nutjob, but you're not going to be able to cover everyone, because the party is, at least for the moment, composed of multiple groups.

(this of course dovetails with Trump's support only really coming from white men, and the sometimes considered problem of the Democratic base unified by the fear of the rise of fascism more than anything else)

So a discussion of "who would a Democratic Trump?" needs to narrow down the question of which slice of the Democratic base would this hypothetical-Trumpian figure go all-in on.

Because even saying "a Leftist Trump" already means you're cutting out huge swaths of the party that are not ... well, Leftists.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
what do you goons suppose are the odds of a rightwing terrorist attack on the level of the oklahoma city bombing happening during clintons presidency

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Kanine posted:

what do you goons suppose are the odds of a rightwing terrorist attack on the level of the oklahoma city bombing happening during clintons presidency

I mean, it's been, what, 25 years? OKC was before I was born, so it's been quite a long time. We made it through 8 years of Obama without something like that happening, either from Islamic or white supremacist terrorism. I wouldn't go so far as to say that it's impossible, but OKC happened when the white supremacist movement was still angry at the combination of losing control of the government after years of Republican rule, desegregation attempts, and events like Waco and Ruby Ridge. The country is less white and among white people the anger felt at things like desegregation isn't as recent, and the number of white supremacists is both less and much older.

The modern extreme right in America is, for lack of a way to put it, also much more spineless than it was 25-30 years ago. I'm sure we'll see more of the likes of Dylan Roof, smaller scale but still dangerous and impactful domestic terrorism, but it probably won't manifest as much worse than your average mass shooting, just with some white supremacist flavoring to the shooter. My expectation is that the worst possible scenario in a post-OKC, post-9/11 America would be something like the Boston Marathon bombers: nasty and damaging but not the catastrophic, thousands killed level of days gone by.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Kanine posted:

Probably less now that we've had 21 years since OKC and 15 since 9/11 to look leery eyed at anything that could be considered a bomb making tool or ingredient. Plus every major right wing group/message board is just chock full of FBI agents at this point.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!

Party Plane Jones posted:

Probably less now that we've had 21 years since OKC and 15 since 9/11 to look leery eyed at anything that could be considered a bomb making tool or ingredient. Plus every major right wing group/message board is just chock full of FBI agents at this point.

Also, they already have all these guns; and mass shootings are practically a patriotic tradition at this point.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Kanine posted:

The US implemented bomb control regulation in the wake of the OKC bombing, so I'd peg it at fairly low.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

gradenko_2000 posted:

The US implemented bomb control regulation in the wake of the OKC bombing, so I'd peg it at fairly low.

Clearly we don't need such nonsense as bomb control. The only way to stop a bad guy with a bomb ahahaha I can't even finish this bullshit joke.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
Reading the last 5-10 pages, it occurred to me that people have some really weird ideas about Europe. Keep in mind that there are very large differences between Western and Eastern Europe (much larger than between the individual states in the US), so what i wrote below might not be accurate for all European countries, but certainly Western European ones, and most likely at a general European levels. Also keep in mind that rankings are generally terrible, because the take a (usually) complex and nuanced phenomenon and reduces it to a single number, and in addition ranks might rank one thing over another, even though the differences are minute, or barely can be said to be differences in reality.

Anyway, social mobility is without a doubt lower in the US than it is in general in Europe. I realize this can be somewhat provocative, seeing as the American Dream narrative is so strong, but it's the truth regardless, social mobility (while trending downwards) is higher in most European countries. The US definitely has more income inequality than most European countries. The US consistently have more poor people than most of Europe (there are a lot of different measures for this, all of them can be critiqued rather heavily, but at best, the US can be compared to poorly ranking European countries). The US education is at best on par with Europe, but (again lotsa different measures), probably lower ranked, and at the very least tend to spend less on eduction than most European countries. The US ranks below most of Western Europe when it comes to democratization, but higher than eastern-southern Europe. The US ranks as a middle of the road European country when it comes to happiness and when it comes to freedom of the press. People in Europe generally have more money to spend (that is, purchasing power) the US is about between a western and a Southern European country, when it comes to how much money do individual people actually have in comparison to what things cost. The US has a vastly higher incarceration (and execution) rate, even above many dictatorial hellholes. The US healthcare system ranks lower than most European ones (this one is also hard to measure), also has somewhat lower life expectancies. Murder and violent crime is a lot higher in the US (also traffic fatalities, per capita, per capita and per vehicle-km).

I'm actually not writing this to poo poo on the US, just to clear up some of the confusion there seems to be about Europe. There are plenty of aspects where the US is doing way better than Western Europe, for example personal and economic freedom, the US ranks lower than a couple of European countries, but higher than many. GNP, military, etc. is stronger for the US and racism/discrimination is much, much lower in the US (though it's not as overt in Europe as some here seem to think, no one in politics are actually calling themselves racists or nazis or anything, outside the very radical fringe. The new style of neo-nazism is much more tv friendly, and present these selves as just being very concerned about their countries proud 'culture', and the economic impact of immigration, etc.).

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

I can't take you seriously with that avatar. It's both distracting and incredibly creepy. Like a schoolteacher giving a powerpoint presentation but he left his MLP porn tab open and you can hear it in the background while he talks.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Revelation 2-13 posted:

racism/discrimination is much, much lower in the US

I'd like to know what you mean by this.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Lightning Knight posted:

I can't take you seriously with that avatar. It's both distracting and incredibly creepy. Like a schoolteacher giving a powerpoint presentation but he left his MLP porn tab open and you can hear it in the background while he talks.

I agree completely, and that's a great analogy btw.

AMorePerfctGoonion
Aug 11, 2016

by exmarx
I think demagogues like Trump are the inevitable conclusion of the casual, kneejerk contempt with which many people regard politics and the political class in this country. Whilst it's true that money has too much influence in politics, and that many politicians lack conviction and integrity, people use this as an excuse to tune out from serious political debate entirely and write off all politicians as the same. It's intellectual laziness and it needs to be confronted and rejected. I find it particularly annoying how these people who reject the whole political process assume a sense of superiority to anyone with actual political convictions as though they know the real truth and the rest of us who are actually trying to deal with issues are childish and foolish. We live in a democracy, however flawed, and if our political class is corrupt then that is a problem with the way we engage in politics.

AMorePerfctGoonion
Aug 11, 2016

by exmarx

Kanine posted:

Clinton has been demonized to such an incredible extent that we have rallies calling for her to be executed. There is definitely going to be assassination attempts. I don't understand why the secret service allows people to go around calling for the death of a presidential candidate. Freedom of speech has it's limits.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Civilized Fishbot posted:

I remember reading that Kesha was really great at high school but dropped out for a chance at a popstar career. As trashy as they are, she writes all her songs, which is an absolute rarity in pop.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Yvonmukluk posted:

Isn't Ke$ha also really smart? Like 'enrolled in an International Baccalaureate Program, near-perfect SAT scores and would drive to her local college after school to sneak into history lectures' smart. Seems like she's probably overqualified compared to a few politicians, not just Trump.

Yeah that's exactly what I recall hearing.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

botany posted:

I'd like to know what you mean by this.

There are (again) different ways of measuring it, here is a simple example which I really like, the question is about whether or not you'd want a neighbor of a difference race : https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2013/05/15/a-fascinating-map-of-the-worlds-most-and-least-racially-tolerant-countries/

Of course, as with all measures of that sort there are several problems, but overall you'll find the same pattern in most of the easily available stuff on discrimination and racism. There is however, quite a spread in Europe, so probably some European countries would compare favorably to the US.

e:overall, what I was trying to say, is that the US fairly consistently scores as one of the countries in the world with highest race/ethnicity tolerance across many different ways of measuring those sorts of things. Which is different from whether the justice system is bad etc.

Revelation 2-13 fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Aug 26, 2016

AMorePerfctGoonion
Aug 11, 2016

by exmarx
What people don't understand about PTSD, trigger warnings, etc. is that it's not about avoiding triggering material entirely but managing your PTSD. It is helpful to be given a warning if something that will evoke a strong emotional response is about to happen, and you can prepare for it. It doesn't mean that you can't deal with it at all, it is simply a useful warning so that you know what it is coming. And you can simply add up the benefits trigger warnings give to those who need them versus the trivial cost towards those who don't and it makes you wonder why this is even an issue at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Revelation 2-13 posted:

rankings are generally terrible, because the take a (usually) complex and nuanced phenomenon and reduces it to a single number, and in addition ranks might rank one thing over another, even though the differences are minute, or barely can be said to be differences in reality.

:goonsay:

*follows up with about 15 rankings without actual numbers and sources*
---

Yes, European countries are all different, but there are still some developments that transcend national boundaries and apply to more than one country. Yes, rankings may sometimes be unfair, but they can also kick people into action to improve things.

• Locked thread