Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Martman posted:

Haha wow, I guess it was called the White Portuguese. That's quite a leap.

At first I thought it was the White Russian then I realized that couldn't be right. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
What the Doctor Strange stuff actually built hype for some people? I was disappointed by how "basic" all the crazy weird mysticism of the whole thing was, but I never read comics with Strange or whatever. I thought it'd be like, strange, but it just seemed like a generic Inception Batman Begins thing.
Course they could really be hiding the real meat from the trailers but none of the visuals looked really bold or weird
Should've just given this one to James Gunn too, he can do weird

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well no one has really done inception since inception. It's a cool look.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
To each their own, I find the cityscapes kind of dreary and gray (what if Doctor strange had color???) and that doesn't really change when you shift them around and make them rotate at weird angles or float or flip or do screen saver stuff
If they were gonna copy some mystic imagery I would've preferred The Fountain

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Chairman Capone posted:

I didn't realize until I finally watched the ultimate edition that Thomas and Martha Wayne in BvS were both played by actors from The Walking Dead (Negan and Maggie).

I liked how Batman was played by the guy from the Bourne films and Superman was in Gods of Egypt

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

TheFallenEvincar posted:

To each their own, I find the cityscapes kind of dreary and gray (what if Doctor strange had color???) and that doesn't really change when you shift them around and make them rotate at weird angles or float or flip or do screen saver stuff

Yeah it's more than a little concerning that "architecture that kinda spins around" is maybe becoming the go-to visual language for mind-expanding psychedelia in blockbusters, because like, what happens when these folks encounter a carousel. Will they be safe

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
More movies should have carousel scenes, I agree.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hat Thoughts posted:

More movies should have carousel scenes, I agree.

I can only think of bad films with carousel scenes so while I wont disagree it's possible to make a good movie with a good carousel scene just to be safe everyone should be banned from it.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
there's probably a carousel somewhere here in the best superhero movie ever made.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbdeAhpIPhE

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Barudak posted:

I can only think of bad films with carousel scenes so while I wont disagree it's possible to make a good movie with a good carousel scene just to be safe everyone should be banned from it.

"What Have You Done To Solange?" has got a pretty good one, anyways I think there's been enough movies with Ferris wheels that we deserve a change, society overvalues the vertical movement of a Ferris wheel.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Carnival of Souls' climactic scene has a carousel prominently featured.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Enough of this tangent

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~
Strangers on a Train :colbert:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The end of Now You See Me also features a carousel.

Edit: sadly their is no actor IMDb page for carousel

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

greatn posted:

Enough of this tangent
sometimes in this strange carousel called life you gotta face tangents like what's with that weird horse, I'm not riding that.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
The current rumour regarding the Flash movie is that The Rogues will be the villians.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

The current rumour regarding the Flash movie is that The Rogues will be the villians.

Well yeah. Who else?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Well yeah. Who else?

An earlier rumour had the movie being a rehash of the TV show, with a crippled Thawne as the main antagonist.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

TheFallenEvincar posted:

The rotating city scapes in the first trailer I agree were kind of derivative but the second trailer did a lot more to make me excited:

- It looks like they are not just showing these flipping buildings and having Dr. Strange stand back and go "wow how wacky!" but they're actually interacting with and fighting on these shifting landscapes, which could provide some interesting battle set pieces
- There's also some night city shots in there which seem to use the neon lights to add more color, they haven't shown a ton of that yet
- The actual magic he uses seems to add some nice color: lots of gold and greens when he creates portals or magic attacks or whatever

I mean I always tend to go into these things optimistic though, so take all that with a grain of salt I guess. I agree I would like some full-on Steve Ditko/Jack Kirby psychedelia; hopefully they are saving that for the finale.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

An earlier rumour had the movie being a rehash of the TV show, with a crippled Thawne as the main antagonist.

I'd like to see a full on Gorilla Grodd with gorilla army or Abra Kadabra doing insane reality bending magic since they haven't/can't do that for the show. But if they actually get multiple Rogues together and really push the limits of their powers (Weather Wizard actually creating a bunch of tornados throughout the city, Mirror Master creating mirror clones and transporting people to bizarre mirror worlds, Captain Cold actually freezing poo poo and creating an icy dangerous landscape for the Flash to navigate) with Flash trying to run from crisis to crisis, that could actually also be cool.

(sorry for the double post, excited to be speculating and not arguing about how bad everyone thinks the DC movies are)

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Guy A. Person posted:

The rotating city scapes in the first trailer I agree were kind of derivative but the second trailer did a lot more to make me excited:

- It looks like they are not just showing these flipping buildings and having Dr. Strange stand back and go "wow how wacky!" but they're actually interacting with and fighting on these shifting landscapes, which could provide some interesting battle set pieces
- There's also some night city shots in there which seem to use the neon lights to add more color, they haven't shown a ton of that yet
- The actual magic he uses seems to add some nice color: lots of gold and greens when he creates portals or magic attacks or whatever

I mean I always tend to go into these things optimistic though, so take all that with a grain of salt I guess. I agree I would like some full-on Steve Ditko/Jack Kirby psychedelia; hopefully they are saving that for the finale.

What sucks is all the Ditko and Kirby stuff is too "corny" for mainstream audiences.

It's all about browns, grays, gritty, dark, edgy, serious, Call of Duty, etc. That's what appeals to the kids and teens who line up for these movies. Marvel movies have JUST enough fun and color for anyone who remembers the sliver age or just likes color and fun but the overall tone is fairly serious. Not as horrendously joyless as DC's constant aping of TDK, mind, but still darker.

HOWEVER, Guardians is just about the only Marvel Studios movie I saw break out of that mold and track more towards Kirby's stuff.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the Marvel movies but some characters work better in psychedelic zaniness.

Hell, you'll never get a good Fantastic Four movie unless they set it in the era of the original comics somehow and embrace the whole '60s super-science schtick. Fantastic Four and Doctor Strange need to be what Venture Bros. is a parody of in order to work.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Guy A. Person posted:

It's really not the derivative nature for me, I'm not really one of those guys who goes "Ah-hah, your thing is like another thing! Got ya!"
it's more that I just find it super boring and considering how hyped I was for crazy surreal mindbending visuals, as someone who had only heard of Strange from other people, I'm hoping they're hiding the real good poo poo or something. The magic colors are nice I guess but if the main climax is just that citytwister thing then it's going to feel pretty basic unless I go as high as I was when I saw BvS
I thought Doctor Strange was supposed to be the weirdest most unique member of...well, he's a member of the Avengers, I assume? Or whatever illuminati justice league group he's in. But this whole product doesn't really feel that much weirder than any of the other single Marvel movies. It's not like it's any more exotic than a Thor movie.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Noam Chomsky posted:

It's all about browns, grays, gritty, dark, edgy, serious, Call of Duty, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP_8_8LAi4I&t=776s
?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

TheFallenEvincar posted:

I thought Doctor Strange was supposed to be the weirdest most unique member of...well, he's a member of the Avengers, I assume? Or whatever illuminati justice league group he's in. But this whole product doesn't really feel that much weirder than any of the other single Marvel movies. It's not like it's any more exotic than a Thor movie.

I hear what you're saying but I've tempered my expectations from the beginning because the acceptable bounds of what a megabudget tentpole blockbuster can do are a lot more limited than a comic book.

Take heart: they might avoid putting the real near-incomprehensible psycho visuals into a trailer because they need to "train" the audience up to it over the course of the movie. Is that likely? Well, no...but it is possible.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^^^ - It'd be cool to see an interesting visual take on Dormmamu in the next Strange film. I mean, it won't happen, but nothing can be worse that Cloud Galactus from FF or Cloud Yellow Evil from Green Lantern.

Guy A. Person posted:

I'd like to see a full on Gorilla Grodd with gorilla army or Abra Kadabra doing insane reality bending magic since they haven't/can't do that for the show. But if they actually get multiple Rogues together and really push the limits of their powers (Weather Wizard actually creating a bunch of tornados throughout the city, Mirror Master creating mirror clones and transporting people to bizarre mirror worlds, Captain Cold actually freezing poo poo and creating an icy dangerous landscape for the Flash to navigate) with Flash trying to run from crisis to crisis, that could actually also be cool.

(sorry for the double post, excited to be speculating and not arguing about how bad everyone thinks the DC movies are)

And Capt. Boomerang throwing his boomerangs at stuff.

I need a scene where he's at his apartment drunk off his rear end and ties a string to a boomerang and tries to whirl it around a beer bottle but keeps missing.

15 attempts all in a row. and the end credits scene will just be of it, except he's got his beer so now he's trying to boomerang a box of pizza delivered at his doorstep.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Aug 26, 2016

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I hope Benedict Cumberbatch takes acid at least once

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Here's what I'm going to call the movie if it's bad: Derpter Stainge. Copyright 2016 MMJS do not steal

But anyway the mainstream marketing is a bad way to judge what Dr. Strange might be. I'm gonna wait for early reviews from trusted CineD sources.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

But anyway the mainstream marketing is a bad way to judge what Dr. Strange might be. I'm gonna wait for early reviews from trusted CineD sources.

Yeah, Mainstream Marketing made Suicide Squad look mostly fun and interesting. Not trusting marketing is right up there with not pre-ordering videogames.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I can almost guarantee that Doctor Strange is gonna delve into some weird poo poo with like fractal magic and demons and poo poo. It's gonna own.

People are always complaining that trailers show too much, but it's good when they show restraint.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Rough Lobster posted:

I can almost guarantee that Doctor Strange is gonna delve into some weird poo poo with like fractal magic and demons and poo poo. It's gonna own.

People are always complaining that trailers show too much, but it's good when they show restraint.

The Iron Man 3 trailers hid the entire main plot. No real mandarin, no President abduction, no Rhodey subplot, no Killian and some people flipped out that the trailers didn't prepare them for it.

You can pretty much never win with trailers nowadays. Especially true for comedies.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Trailers aren't supposed to be a plot outline, but we got used to lovely trailers that give the movie away in a montage of explosions over the past decade.

Hat Thoughts posted:

"What Have You Done To Solange?" has got a pretty good one, anyways I think there's been enough movies with Ferris wheels that we deserve a change, society overvalues the vertical movement of a Ferris wheel.
Moon Knight should be Marvel's first giallo film.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Aug 26, 2016

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Here's what I'm going to call the movie if it's bad: Derpter Stainge. Copyright 2016 MMJS do not steal

I think you're safe.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Ha! Say goodbye to the entire cast of the Rogues in the Flash TV series.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Ha! Say goodbye to the entire cast of the Rogues in the Flash TV series.

Flash TV (or DCTV) kind of did that themselves though. They moved the two best rogues they had to Legends

e: Also their weather wizard loving sucked.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Barudak posted:

Something Wicked This Way Comes was good.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Something Wicked This Way Comes was good.

I always think of Herbaliser when someone brings this movie up.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Barudak posted:

Logan's Run ain't a bad film

Edit: Doesn't Face/Off have a carousel scene?

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Aug 26, 2016

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
There's was an episode of the Twilight Zone that was built around a pretty impressively ominous carousel scene

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Hat Thoughts posted:

The Third Man has both, doesn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

K. Waste posted:

There's was an episode of the Twilight Zone that was built around a pretty impressively ominous carousel scene

Walking Distance, it's a real gem

• Locked thread