Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

greatn posted:

There is some reality to it, like students getting a production of Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson cancelled, or many instances of speakers being cancelled, some of them not even right wing assholes, but it's way overblown.

Well yeah, of course there's somebody who fits the idea. I just can't believe supposedly progressive people unironically let right wingers make "social justice" a dirty word so they can get back at some perceived group of people too progressive for them, or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

zoux posted:

Be careful loving around me without adequate caffination!

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/769177810678067200

This is just getting pathetic. Holy poo poo.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
Mika looks likes poo poo, goddamn. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SDur-kzus8

She looks like I feel when I'm following this election. The fact that the most powerful country in the world could come even this close to electing this narcissistic con-artist makes me feel crazy. People are defending him on live television. The words they vomit out make absolutely no sense, but they continue to speak. Is this real life? Am I actually the crazy one and Trump is reasonable, and I've let myself live in an echo chamber like I've previously accused right wingers of doing? Is up down?

I'm not Arzying, I know his chances of winning are ridiculously low. It's just the fact that we've got to this point seems absolutely absurd to me.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

trumpcampaign.txt

looks like hillary's baiting worked

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Look at this American exceptionalism crap

Also Europeans are a lot less racist than Americans. Just look at any statistics of cops blowing away minorities and getting away with it.

e: phoneposting

Oh lol . Does the USA ban the Burqini? Do we ban minarets? Do we throw bananas at non white players? Do we burn down the homes of immigrants regularly?

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Luigi Thirty posted:

Sorry, insurers are losing too much money on Obamacare.

https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/769148712354324481

It's going to be... not good for Obama's legacy if the exchanges completely go under or insurance companies raise premiums steeply

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

zoux posted:

Be careful loving around me without adequate caffination!

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/769177810678067200

*Trump sullenly sits in his office unable to figure out why minorities won't support him before making another appeal to the Alt Right, a group that talks about preserving the white race and how diversity is a bad thing for white people* Why can't they see reason and vote for me?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Sorry, insurers are losing too much money on Obamacare.

https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/769148712354324481

They say this poo poo literally every year.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Trump: "Its not like I've ruined people and short changed them, but I'll fix the poverty!"

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Currently trying to explain to my parents that Hillary is not actually in trouble for taking money from the founder of Boko Haram.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Lightning Knight posted:

Well yeah, of course there's somebody who fits the idea. I just can't believe supposedly progressive people unironically let right wingers make "social justice" a dirty word so they can get back at some perceived group of people too progressive for them, or whatever.

These people obviously exist to some extent - they're just the huge drama queens we've always had, but they have co-opted language that keeps you from being able to question them.

I was particularly irritated by a person claiming that they were being triggered by a photo of a billboard for X-men: Apocalypse, in which two giant monster people were fighting. There's definitely a contingent of big whiny babies who seriously undermine the very real PTSD some people deal with.

That doesn't mean that they're the norm, though.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Lightning Knight posted:

Yeah I just had a heated argument with a friend about this, who frequently posts stuff about how the right wing is assholes, and how women deserve equal rights, all of a sudden turning around and saying people crying about trigger warnings need to buck up and deal with it and grow up.

I'm like "Say you are teaching Spring Awakening and you get to the scene where there's date rape and are having a discussion on it. You realize statistically, at least one of your students has lyrically been date raped?" Just giving a content warning so people can know what to expect and leisure themselves for it is the least common courtesy you could do.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Blisster posted:

Mika looks likes poo poo, goddamn. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SDur-kzus8

She looks like I feel when I'm following this election. The fact that the most powerful country in the world could come even this close to electing this narcissistic con-artist makes me feel crazy. People are defending him on live television. The words they vomit out make absolutely no sense, but they continue to speak. Is this real life? Am I actually the crazy one and Trump is reasonable, and I've let myself live in an echo chamber like I've previously accused right wingers of doing? Is up down?

I'm not Arzying, I know his chances of winning are ridiculously low. It's just the fact that we've got to this point seems absolutely absurd to me.

No.

But it's always healthy to periodically question, am I presently the bad guy in this scenario? :eng101:

Lotka Volterra posted:

It's going to be... not good for Obama's legacy if the exchanges completely go under or insurance companies raise premiums steeply

I mean we all knew Obamacare was a messy, stopgap measure at best. It was basically a soft failure as soon as they killed the public option, the insurance companies are just murdering it way faster than I think anyone expected them too. It's in their best interest to make a strong political statement against such actions.

What I'm saying is we should nationalize the whole healthcare industry from top to bottom and anyone who has ever been a part of its management class should go to prison forever.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

mdemone posted:

Currently trying to explain to my parents that Hillary is not actually in trouble for taking money from the founder of Boko Haram.

How else is she going to stop terrorism????

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Crowsbeak posted:

Do we burn down the homes of immigrants regularly?

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell...

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Lightning Knight posted:

No.

But it's always healthy to periodically question, am I presently the bad guy in this scenario? :eng101:

I mean we all knew Obamacare was a messy, stopgap measure at best. It was basically a soft failure as soon as they killed the public option, the insurance companies are just murdering it way faster than I think anyone expected them too. It's in their best interest to make a strong political statement against such actions.

What I'm saying is we should nationalize the whole healthcare industry from top to bottom and anyone who has ever been a part of its management class should go to prison forever.

lol

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Lotka Volterra posted:

Like any legislation it needs updating, we just have to hope Hillary can get it done. We need to target the providers.

dromer
Aug 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Popular Thug Drink posted:

is there a word for when people spend too much time on the internet and extrapolate from tumblr or /pol/ into irl politics? there should be if not

Voxxing

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Hey man. My dad just had to go to the hospital for diabetes onset. gently caress these people. :colbert:

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

They say this poo poo literally every year.

With the recent pullout from Georgia's(?) exchange it does seem like there is some cause for concern.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Lightning Knight posted:

Hey man. My dad just had to go to the hospital for diabetes onset. gently caress these people. :colbert:

I am all to aware of how our system needs fixed, but :lol: if you think full nationalization of the entire healthcare system is going to happen.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/769001435484688384

Yes, thank you for explaining what you were getting at by repeatedly calling it a short speech. (it was 37 minutes long)

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

greatn posted:

Like any legislation it needs updating, we just have to hope Hillary can get it done. We need to target the providers.

There's a string of thought from the right that they think HRC will be more likely to compromise with them, which is hilarious because Obama would ahve always been willing to compromise with them on changes but they decided instead to just yammer on about repeal and replace.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Lotka Volterra posted:

At least one economist believes that that death spiral has already begun.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Should have pumped more points into VIT.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Lotka Volterra posted:

With the recent pullout from Georgia's(?) exchange it does seem like there is some cause for concern.

To some degree, if a plan pulls out and it forces more exchange members to consolidate in fewer plans, don't those plans now higher insurance pools help slow down their rising costs?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I am all to aware of how our system needs fixed, but :lol: if you think full nationalization of the entire healthcare system is going to happen.

Well no poo poo it's not going to happen, I was joking. I'm not THAT dumb. :colbert:

What's that one guy, Martin Skhreli? Maybe we can crowdsource just his public execution, I'm sure there's enough people who think he's an rear end in a top hat. We'll stick his head on a pike as a warning to other insurance companies, medieval style.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Which is a minority view, as Kliff notes.

deathbysnusnu
Feb 25, 2016

Lotka Volterra posted:

It's not about profit margins. It's about brinksmanship over the DOJ blocking the Aetna/Humana merger. Shame if something were to happen to your signature legislation Mr. Obama and so forth.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

zoux posted:

Yes, thank you for explaining what you were getting at by repeatedly calling it a short speech. (it was 37 minutes long)

Trump criticizing a Hillary speech for being light on policy is rich.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

you can find an economist who thinks the world is ending at any given time for any given topic

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

zoux posted:

I saw Hillary give an hour long speech in Cleveland last week and she didn't seem to lack any stamina. She even climbed some stairs to get to the podium!

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

There's a string of thought from the right that they think HRC will be more likely to compromise with them, which is hilarious because Obama would ahve always been willing to compromise with them on changes but they decided instead to just yammer on about repeal and replace.

It's not just the right that thinks that. :eng101:

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

deathbysnusnu posted:

It's not about profit margins. It's about brinksmanship over the DOJ blocking the Aetna/Humana merger. Shame if something were to happen to your signature legislation Mr. Obama and so forth.

Oh, I'm aware of that much. It's just concerning that insurance companies essentially have the power to partially sabotage the ACA if they so choose. It relies on the benevolence of insurance providers which is not exactly comforting.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

What recourse would the government have if insurers all pulled out of the exchanges?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

No Butt Stuff posted:

What recourse would the government have if insurers all pulled out of the exchanges?

I'm fairly sure none, within the ACA, anyhow. That's apparently the problem, they weren't clever enough to make being a part of them required.

I guess they could go after them with anti-trust law, in a retaliatory fashion, but that sounds like a bad, bad idea for a number of reasons.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Lightning Knight posted:

Well no poo poo it's not going to happen, I was joking. I'm not THAT dumb. :colbert:

What's that one guy, Martin Skhreli? Maybe we can crowdsource just his public execution, I'm sure there's enough people who think he's an rear end in a top hat. We'll stick his head on a pike as a warning to other insurance companies, medieval style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47DfQcHMYLY

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

greatn posted:

To some degree, if a plan pulls out and it forces more exchange members to consolidate in fewer plans, don't those plans now higher insurance pools help slow down their rising costs?

Yeah, and then those fewer companies' profits could shrink further forcing them to consolidate, and then again until there's only one insurer left. And even then they'd probably just get bogged down in paperwork, so what we could do is, instead of every American writing health insurance checks individually, we could just hand our money to the government maybe every April and the government could just pay that company all at once. Like some sort of singular payment system.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

No Butt Stuff posted:

It's actually Obaman 11-th dimensional hyperchess.

Insurers pull out, people froth at having to pay $800 for their butt meds, and Hillary ascends the throne, calling for a grand clone army National Healthcare System to serve the republic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

I've never watched this show but this was hilarious and you're the best.

• Locked thread