Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I don't know why you need to do the whole 'it's none of my business' thing, you clearly think it is and I'd love to hear what KS stuff Mikan said makes you think this is exactly the same as GMS or whatever the point here is.

I'm having a hard time responding with all the words you're stuffing in my mouth. I understand you don't want to take what I type seriously, tho, so I think we can cut this off here.

Serf posted:

Yo, how much are you out for the Last Stand KS? If I Paypal you the money will that get you to shut the gently caress up?

Sure, I'll PM you later if you're serious about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

yea youre right, a lot of people acting on the millions of death threats made on the internet

Oh, so terminally stupid AND arguing in bad faith. Gotcha.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

fr0id posted:

Having depression is not equivalent to being harassed and stalked, and I apologize for implying otherwise. It just seems to me like people have been bullying the dude who has admitted to having mental health issues. Yeah, he keeps promising new dates that he can't make, but that's obviously the sign of a dude who is desperately afraid to disappoint people and would rather trash his reputation than tell people he's going to be late.
The reason GMS gets treated the way he does is because he also has a long history of being terrible to people online. He's been banned from pretty much every major RPG forum due to constantly arguing with everyone, he gets into G+/Twitter fights, and he's alienated pretty much everyone in the industry. He's a self-proclaimed left-wing liberal who uses "SJW" as an insult, figure that poo poo out.

Like, back when he still held the Icons licence, he took preorders for the Icons Team-Up book. But after his publisher Cubicle-7 cut ties with him, GMS told everyone who preordered that not only would they not be getting their expected hardcopies, but also that he wasn't going to give anyone cash refunds at all; you were only getting Adamant store credit and that was that, and if you have a problem with that then gently caress you.

That's why he's got such bad reputation.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Serf posted:

Oh, so terminally stupid AND arguing in bad faith. Gotcha.
Look, there's a world of difference between what Alien Rope Burn is saying and this dude.

As sjw activist swine myself, I'm super bummed about how we'd rather eat our own than accept some nuance sometimes. Like, it's fair to say that Last Stand wasn't managed so great even before Mikan quit the internet for understandable reasons. And it's also fair for backers to be put out about it while also thinking she was treated really lovely by the attack squad.

And just so we're clear, no, Kung Fu Fist gently caress, death threats are not okay and should not be an inevitable consequence of having even the smallest public presence online. That's hosed up.

Serf
May 5, 2011

dwarf74 posted:

Look, there's a world of difference between what Alien Rope Burn is saying and this dude.

Yeah, it's my bad for engaging with the obvious troll, but I was in no way associating them with ARB. I can see where ARB is coming from, even if I vehemently disagree.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

dwarf74 posted:

And just so we're clear, no, Kung Fu Fist gently caress, death threats are not okay and should not be an inevitable consequence of having even the smallest public presence online. That's hosed up.

no poo poo, and its too bad for that guy that he felt like he needed to go into hiding over some passive aggressive nerds

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

thelazyblank posted:

Has anyone thought of using the basic essence of Far West and make their own game? There was obviously some level of interest, and I don't think there's been a game with the same general setting out there. Plus, it will make Far West not coming out even more funny if someone basically makes the game before Far West comes out.

Yeah, I'm working on it, currently codenamed Farther East. I made some different choices than GMS did; rather than set the game in a fantasy western where Native Americans never existed, I'm doing an alternate history where Ming China colonized Vancouver Island. One consequence of this is that I've had to spend some time learning about Islam in China (Zheng He was a Hui Muslim, see) and martial styles associated with the Hui people. It's taken me longer than my original goal of 4 months, so at this point I'm giving refunds to any backers who request them.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Do people have any opinions about Word Domination? There seems to be lots of hype but it sounds a bit basic. Then again everybody loved Paperback, albeit only very briefly.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

no poo poo, and its too bad for that guy that he felt like he needed to go into hiding over some passive aggressive nerds

having anonymous people call you and your loved ones on their phones so they can talk about how they'll murder you irl is more aggressive than passive you know, and sure they're probably not going to follow through with that but it's still pretty chilling to experience. especially since a lot of modern doxxing also leads to the release of social security numbers/personal banking information and then wooo you have to deal with financial and credit fraud yaaay!

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I feel like it shouldn't be tough to refund $2k thru the magic of Kickstarter and stay anonymous but it's also only $2K and if people can't afford to risk tens of dollars on a Kickstarter they shouldn't be using kickstarter

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I get frustrated with the usual goon explanation because it actually flies in the face of things Mikan said more than once regarding the Kickstarter. I find it to be a oversimplification and frankly fairly tacky to treat them as a voiceless TG martyr instead of an adult faced a terrible situation who made their own choices on how to deal with it.

garbage

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

Evil Mastermind posted:

The reason GMS gets treated the way he does is because he also has a long history of being terrible to people online. He's been banned from pretty much every major RPG forum due to constantly arguing with everyone, he gets into G+/Twitter fights, and he's alienated pretty much everyone in the industry. He's a self-proclaimed left-wing liberal who uses "SJW" as an insult, figure that poo poo out.

Like, back when he still held the Icons licence, he took preorders for the Icons Team-Up book. But after his publisher Cubicle-7 cut ties with him, GMS told everyone who preordered that not only would they not be getting their expected hardcopies, but also that he wasn't going to give anyone cash refunds at all; you were only getting Adamant store credit and that was that, and if you have a problem with that then gently caress you.

That's why he's got such bad reputation.

With Far West, he was also trying to claim for a long while that he was not obligated to either meet deadlines or offer refunds. Because people were "backing a process" or "were like investors" (which is a statement about kickstarter that always cracks me up. Yeah, lets have it be treated like professional investment. See how that works out for the creator when things go wrong). I think he finally stopped trying to do that around the time someone called their Attorney General, maybe? But yeah, whatever you think of Mikan's decision, it was at least in response to an outside threat. GMS was running around trying to justify never producing anything or giving the money back.

Hmmm, that could make a fun "stretch goal" for not-Far West. "101 excuses for why the guy who hired the PCs doesn't have to pay them".

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Desiden posted:

Hmmm, that could make a fun "stretch goal" for not-Far West. "101 excuses for why the guy who hired the PCs doesn't have to pay them".

The TG industry thread was just talking about people who still make ... some dollars out of random lists of 100 things. That seems like a good idea as any.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Mojo Jojo posted:

Do people have any opinions about Word Domination? There seems to be lots of hype but it sounds a bit basic. Then again everybody loved Paperback, albeit only very briefly.

My wife played it at GenCon and loved it, and she's a Word Nerd, so we figured what the gently caress and backed it. Can't possibly be the worst thing we've ever backed. (we still love Paperback)

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Ok, my bad, I was severely misinformed on the Mikan thing on the degree it went to. If it got to the point of people calling the parents and doing that kind of poo poo in real life I retract my statements, I thought it was just general forums/email trolling and harassment, I missed the part previously about how far it reached. In that instance I don't blame Mikan at all. Also my worldview on that is a little sketch (and I know this) because I worked in the car industry for 5 years where that kind of behavior is normal/tolerated and you're flat out unemployed if you can't harden yourself to racial/ethnic/sexual slurs both in and out of work, even from management (I had a manager text me at night when one of my customers was mad that if I gently caress up again he's getting his biker friends to come 'rape my n-word woman', if that gives a good example), so that mistake is all on me.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Y'all need to maybe shut up about what a person (who may or may not have been a perfect innocent angel) ought to endure from shitlords for the purposes of completing a Kickstarter. Okay, Mikan walked out on the KS and it's a bit annoying she wasn't able to hand it off to anyone, but at least it wasn't "oh i get anxiety every time I think about it so I'm never going to engage with it again, please stop asking" while continuing to hang around.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
SA is the home of the grognards.txt crew who had members that made a sport of going site to site to harass people. Why is this a discussion here?

Zak is terrible.

Mikan owes people money.

New topic?

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
if you want a new topic, come up with one

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Oh! Look at that! What Ho, World! is fully funded!

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Haha wow that red text, thanks to whoever did that one :rolleyes:

Serf
May 5, 2011

FRINGE posted:

SA is the home of the grognards.txt crew who had members that made a sport of going site to site to harass people. Why is this a discussion here?

Zak is terrible.

Mikan owes people money.

New topic?

Mikan owes people money because Zak S drove her into hiding. Last I checked, that motherfucker was very much still present on the Internet. Maybe folks should complain to him about losing money?

Oh wait they can't because they'll end up getting death threats too.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Fragged Empires delivered on its digital goods today. It's pretty good! Much better than this line of conversation!

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Serf posted:

Mikan owes people money because Zak S drove her into hiding. Last I checked, that motherfucker was very much still present on the Internet. Maybe folks should complain to him about losing money?

Oh wait they can't because they'll end up getting death threats too they're huge pussies .

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

grassy gnoll posted:

Fragged Empires delivered on its digital goods today. It's pretty good! Much better than this line of conversation!
Yeah, I've been going through my PDFs and there's a lot of good stuff in there.

Man, I need to get back to my F&F of the core book.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Want a game that can fit into your pocket? Mint Works is a worker placement game that fits into a mint tin.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Want a game that can fit into your pocket? Mint Works is a worker placement game that fits into a mint tin.
Mint Works is great and there's a PnP prototype you can print out (only 2 sheets!) from when it was in a PnP competition on BGG.
I'm currently about to beta test the solo mode for the designer after volunteering through the KS.

Edit: Here's the link to the BGG thread with the PnP file.
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1399593/mint-works-2015-mint-tin-design-contest-entry-cont

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

JazzFlight posted:

Mint Works is great and there's a PnP prototype you can print out (only 2 sheets!) from when it was in a PnP competition on BGG.
I'm currently about to beta test the solo mode for the designer after volunteering through the KS.

Solo Mode?!

*buys twenty*

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I think it was poorly thought out on my part to pair discussion of Mikan and GMS. I am morbidly curious about what exactly happened with Mikan and I think other folks are too. When the information presented is "people on the Internet harassed them" it naturally leads to speculation and assumptions about what that harassment consisted of and whether it was serious enough to go into hiding over. That latter question is assuming that Mikan would make an irrational decision about going into hiding, and so it's actually pretty insulting to ask. For the people asking about whether the harassment was really that bad, keep in mind that you're indirectly insulting a victim by doing that. That said, I'll say I'm curious about what happened but I respect Mikan enough to think they made the best decision for themself.

As far as GMS goes, it sounds like he's acted like a huge rear end in a top hat about the Kickstarter in the past, but at this point the whole thing just seems sad to me. It strikes me as a big amount of negativity for the sake of negativity rather than humor at this point.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

fr0id posted:

I think it was poorly thought out on my part to pair discussion of Mikan and GMS. I am morbidly curious about what exactly happened with Mikan and I think other folks are too. When the information presented is "people on the Internet harassed them" it naturally leads to speculation and assumptions about what that harassment consisted of and whether it was serious enough to go into hiding over. That latter question is assuming that Mikan would make an irrational decision about going into hiding, and so it's actually pretty insulting to ask. For the people asking about whether the harassment was really that bad, keep in mind that you're indirectly insulting a victim by doing that. That said, I'll say I'm curious about what happened but I respect Mikan enough to think they made the best decision for themself.

This seems like a good post to end this on, so I am putting a lid on this for now before you folks start eating each other. Post about Mint Works or Fragged Empires or What Ho, World! or something.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

JazzFlight posted:

Shipping is almost nothing as well. I've never backed anything so quickly.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Ettin posted:

This seems like a good post to end this on, so I am putting a lid on this for now before you folks start eating each other. Post about Mint Works or Fragged Empires or What Ho, World! or something.

Finish the Black Yearbook! :argh:

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

Man, I need to get back to my F&F of the core book.

Do this. It's an interesting setting and has enough good ideas just with layout and graphical presentation alone that it deserves more exposure.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
A mint tin. I should have thought of that when that little Shakespeare-themed card game arrived a while ago.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Rockalypse: the Fate Core RPG of Musical Conflict launched last night, and it seems to be going for a cross of Scott Pilgrim, Mad Max, and Jem and the Holigrams.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

I don't have use for lots of crazy dice, but I often check dice KS's because I want a particular thing: a big, vanilla-designed-but-heavy, spin-down D20. Finally there's someone doing a run of precisely this - here.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

grassy gnoll posted:

Finish the Black Yearbook! :argh:

Working on it! It turns out I probably should have delegated more of the logistics and maybe planned fewer stretch goals. :negative: I'm trying to knock out drafts of as much as I can this year so I should be able to send some stats your way in the coming months, at least.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
I wish I could contact Mikan and license the Last Stand engine for stuff. I hate that all this design is going to just be in one thing ever. :(

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

demota posted:

I wish I could contact Mikan and license the Last Stand engine for stuff. I hate that all this design is going to just be in one thing ever. :(

When the license doc was out there, it was Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0, so its probably fair to go to town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dagon posted:

When the license doc was out there, it was Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0, so its probably fair to go to town.

I believe her last act was to release the entire thing free as CC, but do not take me as an authority on that.