Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Mugen Souls Z is out on PC and doesn't look very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Whaaat?? An Idea Factory game that's bad?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Tired Moritz posted:

Whaaat?? An Idea Factory game that's bad?

I know, I'm as surprised as you.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Decided to actually commit to playing Growlanser 2 again, we'll see how many endings I go for before reading the LP for the rest of them. Question though, so far in the game two characters have commented on Wein's family name, is that another reference to the first game along with everything going on with the war, or is it all important plot stuff I shouldn't google

I've just completed the game (well, the normal path) and it never comes up beyond a couple of vague mentions. My guess is it is relevant to the first game or relevant to the diverging path that I haven't played yet.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i somehow have a copy of Resonance of Fate that i never even opened. I hear this game is really hard, is it decently playable if you're generally competent at video games? Are the story and characters any good?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Fonzarelli posted:

i somehow have a copy of Resonance of Fate that i never even opened. I hear this game is really hard, is it decently playable if you're generally competent at video games? Are the story and characters any good?

The story is impenetrable nonsense and the game endeavours to give you as little as possible with which to figure things out.

The characters are extremely likeable, and Nolan North has the time of his life with some of Vashyron's lines.

The game is difficult by virtue of being kind of inscrutable in its tutorials, but it's fairly easy to learn its intricacies. The problem lies in that it never, ever evolves past, like, the second chapter and you'll be doing the same thing for the entire game.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i always forget how to play so i can't just put it down and pick it up later. i doubt i will ever beat resonance of fate.

also the ps3 save editor has absolutely no codes for the game so i can't even cheat in money to play dress up.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Also gun customization is hilarious.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Fonzarelli posted:

I played through the game years and years ago when it first came out, didn't beat it but think like I got pretty far. Never felt like the game was too hard, and I recently replayed the first few chapters and didn't have massive problems either. Normal fights are whatever but boss fights are hard because they require you to play in a very specific way, with managing weapon loadouts and manipulating enemies into moving and targeting certain ways so you can attack them from a certain direction. It sounds complicated but like you said, if you play video games you'll be fine. It's similar to SMT games where you need to fight the boss a couple times to get a real handle on how to approach the entirety of the fight, but figuring all of that out is the fun part and winning feels real good. The story is eh but is also basically just an excuse to have the three main characters hang out and do main character things, they're pretty enjoyable.

There's also a pretty heavy Valkyrie Profile 2-esque postgame where there's a dungeon with level one trillion enemies in which you need to manipulate the equivalent of a world map sphere grid to funnel bonuses to EXP and your stats and stuff so you have a chance at surviving which I haven't touched but hearing about that was the original reason I wanted to play the game

e:^^^gun customization is super great and I abused an in-game money exploit to put like fifteen scopes on all of my guns

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Resonance of Fate has a Christmas level where everyone has costumes and you throw presents at orphans.

A good game.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

corn in the bible posted:

my laptop sure as gently caress cant run it, how is the ps3 version

There's a trial on the store, but..it'll be an experience. I can see if I have any screenshots kicking about, if you want but it might be best to just give it a whirl yourself at some stage.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Final Fantasy XIV feels like more of a Final Fantasy game than some of the single player ones and if you're a fan of the series the references and visuals alone should be enough to have you enjoying it.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Fonzarelli posted:

I wouldn't say it's hard so much as it is weird. It takes a while to get into the battle system, the gun customization, etc. There are definitely some challenging moments even when you get a hang of it, but I wouldn't call it hard overall. You can always do some grinding in the arena if you're having issues, too.

The trouble I had with the game was staying interested - there may as well not be a story.

At the very least, you have to play until chapter 5 to see one of the best/worst RPG cutscenes ever, though.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I would recommend against playing FFXIV on a PS3, it overheats to the point of shutting down if you're at a sufficiently crowded event, plays at approximately poop frames per second, and the PS3 is so taxed by the system and UI that they have to remove elements in order to have the memory to add new ones due to PS3 limitations. They're possibly going to drop support for it entirely with this next expansion, even. PS4 or PC is really the only way to do it.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I would recommend against playing FFXIV on a PS3, it overheats to the point of shutting down if you're at a sufficiently crowded event, plays at approximately poop frames per second, and the PS3 is so taxed by the system and UI that they have to remove elements in order to have the memory to add new ones due to PS3 limitations. They're possibly going to drop support for it entirely with this next expansion, even. PS4 or PC is really the only way to do it.

Maybe your PS3 was just old and dusty, but my PC crapped out for a month and I could only play on PS3 during that time and I never experienced any hardware problems.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

i don't have those things

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I played a lot of XIV on PS3 and it never caused thermal shutdown, even when I stood in the middle of a S-rank hunt.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Thanks folks i'm totally gonna play Resonance of Fate, because i've got that JRPG fever and there ain't poo poo else

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

Dr. Eldarion posted:

At the very least, you have to play until chapter 5 to see one of the best/worst RPG cutscenes ever, though.

I think I need to own this game now.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
that's a cinematic masterpiece, unironically.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
The bizarre thing about Resonance of Fate is that there's a large, world-affecting plot that is similar to a lot of other jRPGs...it's just that the characters give zero shits about it and instead run missions and have adventures to make their way as mercenaries. I think like 80% of the plot is revealed in the final chapter and another 15% in the post game, it's so bizarre.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

Roobanguy posted:

also throwing out geneforge. you can get the series on steam for probably 20ish dollars, but the games are lengthier than AoD. geneforge 1 also has an ending where you become a crazed powerful god creature, much like AoD

I also beat AoD like 5 times. I can understand why people don't like it but it just hit an itch that i didn't realize i had.

Interesting, will check it out.

AoD wins for best writing/plot options for "non-combat" talker characters. Holy poo poo you can do some manipulative evil poo poo. For once you don't feel less badass for a non-sword swinging character.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I'm pretty sure I've completely obliterated any form of levelling in Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth now. I gave a PlatinumNumemon my only Tactician USB (along with a pair of Billionaire USB's :homebrew:), and my current levelling tactic is to stand at the top of the Tokyo Metropolitan Building) and Force Call encounters with a WarGreymon, the PlatinumNumemon and a PlatinumSukamon. Press Option (AutoBattle), wait a minute, watch XP rush over party in a hellish storm of levelling, repeat :flashfap:. I also accidentally loving nuked an hour's playtime because of one of the bonus bosses being a shithead because loving Leopardmon in Great Challenge 2 kept on Anti-Stunning his way back to half-health and I needed to reset because I'd burned all my good healing items to keep pace after he did it twice and the writing was on the wall for a long slow death.

I have an entire DigiFarm filled with Developer Know-Hows and Builder-personality Digimon toiling away to try and make more Tactician USB's as well :rolldice:.

edit: Can anyone confirm that Trails of Cold Steel II is getting a physical PS3 release in Europe or otherwise? I've only seen preorders available for the Vita version.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Aug 26, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm pretty sure I've completely obliterated any form of levelling in Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth now. I gave a PlatinumNumemon my only Tactician USB (along with a pair of Billionaire USB's :homebrew:), and my current levelling tactic is to stand at the top of the Tokyo Metropolitan Building) and Force Call encounters with a WarGreymon, the PlatinumNumemon and a PlatinumSukamon. Press Option (AutoBattle), wait a minute, watch XP rush over party in a hellish storm of levelling, repeat :flashfap:. I also accidentally loving nuked an hour's playtime because of one of the bonus bosses being a shithead because loving Leopardmon in Great Challenge 2 kept on Anti-Stunning his way back to half-health and I needed to reset because I'd burned all my good healing items to keep pace after he did it twice and the writing was on the wall for a long slow death.

I have an entire DigiFarm filled with Developer Know-Hows and Builder-personality Digimon toiling away to try and make more Tactician USB's as well :rolldice:.

edit: Can anyone confirm that Trails of Cold Steel II is getting a physical PS3 release in Europe or otherwise? I've only seen preorders available for the Vita version.

Physical and digital on both PS3 and Vita

http://gematsu.com/2016/08/legend-heroes-trails-cold-steel-ii-launches-november-11-europe

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I also accidentally loving nuked an hour's playtime because of one of the bonus bosses being a shithead because loving Leopardmon in Great Challenge 2 kept on Anti-Stunning his way back to half-health and I needed to reset because I'd burned all my good healing items to keep pace after he did it twice and the writing was on the wall for a long slow death.

Isn't he a Data-type? Lilithmon will solve all your Data problems forever.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I own all six of the PS3 Atelier games and I really wish I hadn't started with Escha/Logy, unlimited consumables were really a convenience that get you into a certain mindset of how to play the game that sucks when you turn to play any of the other games. It made the game way too easy, sure, but it was fun because it incentivized you to use your rare materials and start doing alchemy chaining early on into the game, wheras now I'm playing through Rorona Plus and not bothering to make anything better than the very basic version of each item since I'll only ever get three uses out of it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I own all six of the PS3 Atelier games and I really wish I hadn't started with Escha/Logy, unlimited consumables were really a convenience that get you into a certain mindset of how to play the game that sucks when you turn to play any of the other games. It made the game way too easy, sure, but it was fun because it incentivized you to use your rare materials and start doing alchemy chaining early on into the game, wheras now I'm playing through Rorona Plus and not bothering to make anything better than the very basic version of each item since I'll only ever get three uses out of it

You'll eventually get options that give you more easy ways to refill.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Does that apply to most games? I got to Chapter 4 or something in Shallie and ended up quitting after having complaints I can't remember right now, and then switched to Rorona Plus which I stopped because I got busy with school and forgot about it, so I've gotta chose which one to go back to.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Resonance of Fate also drops some important plot stuff in the second opening that you have to wait on the title screen for. Which I thought was weird, considering it could have been somewhere at the start of the game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Does that apply to most games? I got to Chapter 4 or something in Shallie and ended up quitting after having complaints I can't remember right now, and then switched to Rorona Plus which I stopped because I got busy with school and forgot about it, so I've gotta chose which one to go back to.

Yeah. Most of the games either give you a refill method, either a shopkeeper who will be able to replicate items so you can rebuy them, a friendly alchemist who can recreate them (usually for a nominal fee) or something.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Valkyria Azure Revolution is releasing on January 19th next year on PS4....and Vita. Which doesn't lead to great expectations on the map gameplay.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

in the pre-eschatology ones, including rorona, you can give items to a shopkeeper and they'll produce more of them over time to sell to you. better items will cost more or be produced more slowly so it's not as easy as it is in the later games but you can indeed get a bunch of black-hole bombs or whatever if you want.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Tae posted:

Valkyria Azure Revolution is releasing on January 19th next year on PS4....and Vita. Which doesn't lead to great expectations on the map gameplay.

it can't be worse than the vc1 rebalance mod. what a piece of poo poo that was.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tae posted:

Seriously, let the little bastard die already. We all know it's done, just accept it Sony.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Valkyria's a SEGA IP, unless you're asking Sony to block publishers from releasing Vita games for some reason.

Motto fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Aug 27, 2016

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Isn't Azure Revolution more of a traditional JRPG that just borrows some stylings?

EDIT: \/ I meant more "not a strategy RPG"

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Aug 27, 2016

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Mokinokaro posted:

Isn't Azure Revolution more of a traditional JRPG that just borrows some stylings?

Unless you think traditional=action combat, no.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mokinokaro posted:

EDIT: \/ I meant more "not a strategy RPG"

No, from what I've seen its some sort of bizarre mix between and RPG and a cover based third person shooter.

Then again so was The Last Story, sort of.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
they should make skies of arcadia, two, in my opinion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

HMS Boromir posted:

they should make skies of arcadia, two, in my opinion

And a nice remake of the first. or at least a PC port.