Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Safety Dance posted:

You absolutely can die from two hours' exposure if you were dunked into the ice cold north Atlantic first.

Yeah, but that's not what I said. The whole point of having enough lifeboats is that you don't get dunked into the ocean in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah, but that's not what I said. The whole point of having enough lifeboats is that you don't get dunked into the ocean in the first place.

Apologies, I thought you were talking in the context of the Titanic. Modern lifeboats, you stand a much better chance.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

why?

because everyone needs 1300+ unreliable HP in order to safely tow a bass boat

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

buttcrackmenace posted:

why?

because everyone needs 1300+ unreliable HP in order to safely tow a bass boat

Are you really making GBS threads on people DDing 1300hp vehicles?

Are you sure you weren't trying to get to pet island? This is AI. A lot of those regular cab trucks run mid 8s. That dodge probably runs mid 9s in between explosions and still gets 20mpg highway.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

MrYenko posted:

Titanic was significantly more advanced than any other commercial liner in service at the time, in terms of safety features, and many, if not all steel ships had similar metallurgy problems. poo poo, the United States was losing Liberty ships thirty years later due to brittle fractures, because the metallurgy still wasn't understood.

The causative event wasn't that there was some glaring flaw in her construction, or that some evil gently caress with a monocle specced steel of inferior quality; They ran nearly head-on at cruise speed into a giant loving block of ice. There wasn't a single ship in service that would have survived that accident.

Didn't they also fail to properly seal the bulkhead doors?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The doors sealed fine as far as I remember. The problem was that the bulkheads didn't go all the way to the top of the ship and maybe they didn't close the doors fast enough. Once enough water got in to start pulling the front of the ship down, the water line went above the bulkheads and started pouring into the other sections.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cojawfee posted:

The doors sealed fine as far as I remember. The problem was that the bulkheads didn't go all the way to the top of the ship and maybe they didn't close the doors fast enough. Once enough water got in to start pulling the front of the ship down, the water line went above the bulkheads and started pouring into the other sections.

Yeah, that's what I just read too, they had 'escape' ladders to the top of the deck. Nothing ruins watertight like a giant hole.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

One of the more ironic things about Titanic is that due to the design of her watertight compartments, she may have survived had the crew done nothing, and simply rammed the iceberg head-on. Damage to the first two or three compartments would probably have been survivable. (She was designed to survive flooding in the first four, but the actual damage incurred was across the forward six compartments.)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Travel is too risky, obviously what we need to do is for everyone to stay at home and never leave. Everything should be made out of memory foam.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

MrYenko posted:

One of the more ironic things about Titanic is that due to the design of her watertight compartments, she may have survived had the crew done nothing, and simply rammed the iceberg head-on. Damage to the first two or three compartments would probably have been survivable. (She was designed to survive flooding in the first four, but the actual damage incurred was across the forward six compartments.)

The original "head on would have been better than small overlap" collision.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Sagebrush posted:

Well since it's 1912, there's a constant stream of merchant and passenger shipping going back and forth nearby, usually within sight of a signal flare and certainly within radio range.

I mean, come on, one of the main reasons so many people died on the Titanic was because they didn't have enough lifeboats for everyone. The first ship to come to the rescue arrived within two hours of the sinking. You're not going to die with two hours' exposure to cold night air.

True, except for the aforementioned "unless you went for a swim in single digit temperatures in the dark first" clause.

Also remember that until a few years before, it was basically assumed if you didn't get found quickly by someone who saw your flares, you were hosed. Grade-A with a capital F hosed. Because radio had only been invented very recently (Marconi's first successful demonstration took place 11 years earlier) and as I recall, some nearby ships that could have rescued a lot more people just didn't have anyone in the radio shacks at the time, so they had no idea anything happened.

Surviving shipwrecks far from any sort of land/island is really an "only happened in the last 100 years" sort of thing.

MrYenko posted:

Came here to say this.

Also, the top of the compartments being open isn't really a killer as long as the walls go "high enough". It's not like the water's getting pumped in, it's just leaking in, if you can survive 4 compartments flooding (the titanic had 16, and could float with 4 flooded), that means the water will flow into those ones until it is equal with the waterline outside. As long as the compartment walls are taller than the adjusted waterline without the buoyancy of those 4 compartments to keep the ship upright, they don't need to be sealed. The issue is that they sideswiped the iceberg and ripped open 6 compartments, thus dooming the ship because six is more than four. If they'd hit head-on it probably only would have breached 2-3, or if they'd managed to steer slightly further away from the iceberg, or if the rivets and plate hadn't been the brittle garbage steel available at the time, fewer compartments might have been breached.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

kastein posted:

True, except for the aforementioned "unless you went for a swim in single digit temperatures in the dark first" clause.

If you have enough lifeboats for everyone, people don't need to end up in the water. Because there are enough lifeboats for them to get into.

That is my entire point.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Sagebrush posted:

If you have enough lifeboats for everyone, people don't need to end up in the water. Because there are enough lifeboats for them to get into.

That is my entire point.

And I completely agree, I'm just explaining why it wasn't really much more than an afterthought at the time, because, well, those people are all gonna die before anyone comes to save their asses anyways, unless they get lucky and someone saw the flares or happened to barely hear their CQD (not SOS at the time) call on the sparkgap radio transmitter.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think it's a given that when a boat is sinking, some percentage of the people on the boat are going to end up wet from the flooding or jumping off the ship to avoid some other horrible death, and will then need scooped out of the water by people in lifeboats.

Even with a boat exposure is a concern.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Sagebrush posted:

That is my entire point.

That's why I love the navy. You're going in the water before you get into a life boat.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

xzzy posted:

I think it's a given that when a boat is sinking, some percentage of the people on the boat are going to end up wet from the flooding or jumping off the ship to avoid some other horrible death, and will then need scooped out of the water by people in lifeboats.

Even with a boat exposure is a concern.

This. Boats don't usually just orderly settle into the depths.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

iwentdoodie posted:

That's why I love the navy. You're going in the water before you get into a life boat.

The Navy has no life boats, just rafts. Safety is for civies.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

EightBit posted:

This. Boats don't usually just orderly settle into the depths.

Modern lifeboats are sealed.

Yes, some people are gonna get wet from flooding on the ship etc. and some unlucky people will fall overboard, but it's not like "lol at least 50% of you are gonna have to hang on to the ropes on the side and hope you don't turn into a meat popsicle" as it was in the past.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think you mean "at least 50% of you won't be bashed to death by a crewman with an oar because you were trying to climb onto a full lifeboat."

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

kastein posted:

And I completely agree, I'm just explaining why it wasn't really much more than an afterthought at the time, because, well, those people are all gonna die before anyone comes to save their asses anyways, unless they get lucky and someone saw the flares or happened to barely hear their CQD (not SOS at the time) call on the sparkgap radio transmitter.

Titanic’s radio operator started with CQD, but then alternated “CQD” and “SOS”.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Aug 26, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

Modern lifeboats are sealed.

Yes, some people are gonna get wet from flooding on the ship etc. and some unlucky people will fall overboard, but it's not like "lol at least 50% of you are gonna have to hang on to the ropes on the side and hope you don't turn into a meat popsicle" as it was in the past.

Well, and the idea is even if the boat is in a VERY heavy storm, its so sealed that you are not at risk of foundering.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
One of the axles in my V70 got a little shorter today. It must have broken while I was parking it at work this morning, since I found this chunk sitting on the ground in front of the car - I'm a little freaked out but I'm really glad it failed at low speed. I made a 120-mile round trip last night to pick up some parts, and it could have been a lot worse if it had broken on the highway.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

This all made me curious, and the new mega cruiseliner lifeboats weigh 44 tons loaded and carry 370 people each.

At what point does a lifeboat need lifeboats?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

And why not make the cruise ship out of whatever they make the lifeboats out of? Bunch of dummies!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm telling you, just attach a big parachute to the plane itself!! Is anyone listening to me?!!

I miss Jack Handey

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Data Graham posted:

I'm telling you, just attach a big parachute to the plane itself!! Is anyone listening to me?!!

I miss Jack Handey

Make the plane out of airline peanuts!

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

zundfolge posted:

One of the axles in my V70 got a little shorter today. It must have broken while I was parking it at work this morning, since I found this chunk sitting on the ground in front of the car - I'm a little freaked out but I'm really glad it failed at low speed. I made a 120-mile round trip last night to pick up some parts, and it could have been a lot worse if it had broken on the highway.

:catstare:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Data Graham posted:

I miss Jack Handey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAwET3Q9Og4

Dicks the frame pretty good, but beats death.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Powershift posted:

At what point does a lifeboat need lifeboats?

When it sinks. Duh.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Just a little play in the suspension.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Lime Tonics posted:

The ability some people have to just turn up the radio and ignore the signals life is sending them will never cease to amaze me.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

http://jalopnik.com/truckload-of-airbag-parts-explodes-en-route-to-takata-p-1785826917

quote:

Truckload Of Airbag Parts Explodes En Route To Takata Plant, Killing Woman Inside Her Home

The woman was initially reported missing, but the two-day search for her ended when dental pieces found at the scene of the explosion were discovered to be Roberts.

:stonk:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Lime Tonics posted:

What do you mean I need new shocks?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Takata moves up to DoD contractor

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Lime Tonics posted:

Someone is scratching that trucks belly.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

I'm having trouble accepting that's not an Onion story

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

:tinfoil: The Titanic never actually sunk though, the ship that sunk was the already damaged Olympic for the insurance money. :tinfoil:

While I don't give it any credence, it's a fun theory to think about anyway. I hope someone can explain why it's implausible.

Also holy poo poo that truck explosion. As if Takata didn't have enough (deserved) bad press.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Lime Tonics posted:

I would not be caught dead driving next to/behind that.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

kastein posted:

I thought the idea with the Titanic was that the North Atlantic was so full of ships that the lifeboats would really just serve to transport people from the stricken ship to the rescuing ship.
There was, in fact, controversy that a nearby ship should have responded to its flares (and could have responded well before it sunk) and the like, but didn't roust the radioman to find out what was going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

nm posted:

There was, in fact, controversy that a nearby ship should have responded to its flares (and could have responded well before it sunk) and the like, but didn't roust the radioman to find out what was going on.

There's actually a theory that mirages caused by freak atmospheric conditions may have both casued the Titanic lookouts to not be able to spot the iceberg until it was too late, and prevented the crew of a nearby ship from seeing either the Titanic itself or its distress flares.

The Smithsonian Channel made a documentary about this titled "Titanic's Final Mystery" that's on Netflix.