Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

5 alts to the first person to do vuln temple on hc :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
Forget the void effects. I want that flame wave as a skill gem.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
void footprints and weapon aura would be amazing this league

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Noper Q posted:

Forget the void effects. I want that flame wave as a skill gem.

It's glacial cascade reskinned with a fuckton of aoe

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there an absolute invincible build? With mediocre dps even?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
No, but you could probably get pretty close by stacking as much spell block as possible with increased skill duration for really long immortal calls.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
you can prolly make a guardian aurabot with retarded defense but youll still die to core malachai's telefrag prolly prolly

Fallout
Mar 8, 2005
Ignorance is bliss

ButtWolf posted:

If you got a lot of currency you could try this "AFK Mjolner" build. It uses Kingsguard and Juggernaut's endurance charges to have insane self heal and long rear end Immortal Calls and a bunch of trigger stuff to make Discharge pop off inbetween.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSW_YFHvkwI

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Haven't played since the ghosts/treasure gimmick league and considering reinstalling since there's an expansion inbound, are trappers still viable? Always done fire/lightning traps but I'd like to give degen a shot if it'll be anywhere close to viable in HC this time around.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Trappers are super strong and poison/Bladefall traps are insane. Go for it!

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004
These are good for the children's brains.
I guess with immortal call, gluttony of elements, and CI running at the same time there would be no type of damage that could actually hurt you. If you maxed out on skill duration, keeping them running would mean generating roughly 1/2 an endurance charge and 6 kills per second. Not impossible when clearing through trash but gluttony at least can't be up 100% against any boss that drags on for longer than 16 seconds. IC probably won't be up 100% without that idiotic marauder ascendancy that surely is going to get nerfed.

Then you'd fall back to aegis aurora and maxed spell block and a good es pool. Big one hit spells are an issue at that point though. Atziri flameblast or similar is eventually going to crit past your block and that'll be the end. Also I have no idea how you'd manage to do any reasonable amount of damage after spending all that time chasing defenses around the passive tree.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

ButtWolf posted:

CI Pathfinder imo, if you put enfeeble in the blasphemy instead of vuln

example: https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/JackCain/characters

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Ptf needs to press flask buttons though

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

killstealing posted:

Ptf needs to press flask buttons though

I'm not some pro gamer like that, I can't play flask builds.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Is WI/CI a new league starting friendly build?

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009

Holyshoot posted:

Is WI/CI a new league starting friendly build?

No.

You need good ES gear and really want 2x Perandus rings and an Astramentis

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I ran it with Pyre and no Perandus Signets, but yeah, you really need Astramentis and solid ES gear.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I feel like anything is nowadays starter freindly, as long as you're not tied to a specific unique and are willing to slowly trade up

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
I don't think anything CI is really start friendly though...so guess what I tried to do in Prophecy as my first character! :v:

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Ci isn't so bad tbh, you can get middling es rolls for pennies and those are fine for early mapping

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010

killstealing posted:

you can prolly make a guardian aurabot with retarded defense but youll still die to core malachai's telefrag prolly prolly

My guardian aurabot with 38k armor was able to survive a core malachai smash, but only because of vaal discipline. 90% phys dmg reduc + fortify and he still hit my ES for 12k :v:

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Mystery Prize posted:

My guardian aurabot with 38k armor was able to survive a core malachai smash, but only because of vaal discipline. 90% phys dmg reduc + fortify and he still hit my ES for 12k :v:

I cant find a source for it anywhere, but for some reason I'm convinced the teleport slam is 50/50 phys/fire

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB
Got tired of D3 and D2, so I'm playing PoE for technically the first time since last I played was only for a few hours and not even through Act 1.

As a first plathrough I'm running marauder and not really being too critical about my skill tree. Just finished Act 1, my experience is primarily positive, as I'm using 2H Cleave as my primary attack and oneshotting any non-uniques. Just a few questions overall:

I specced into life leech. Some of the trees says it increases my life leech per second. How does life leech work? Is it over time and not instant?

What's the difficulty spike I should worry about late game? In Diablo 2 it was getting resistances high and having mixed damage to deal with immunities. What's PoE's equivalent of this wall, if any?

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

The Crusher posted:

Got tired of D3 and D2, so I'm playing PoE for technically the first time since last I played was only for a few hours and not even through Act 1.

As a first plathrough I'm running marauder and not really being too critical about my skill tree. Just finished Act 1, my experience is primarily positive, as I'm using 2H Cleave as my primary attack and oneshotting any non-uniques. Just a few questions overall:

I specced into life leech. Some of the trees says it increases my life leech per second. How does life leech work? Is it over time and not instant?

What's the difficulty spike I should worry about late game? In Diablo 2 it was getting resistances high and having mixed damage to deal with immunities. What's PoE's equivalent of this wall, if any?

get health and cap your resists, life leech is over time but theres a passive on the center right that makes it instant but removes regen.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Everything you wanted to know and more about Leech

Difficulty bumps: resistances primarily. When you hit Cruel all of your resistances drop by 20%, at Merciless another 40%. Chaos will probably be the one that bites you in the rear end the most since there's very little chaos resistance on the tree (and I'm guessing you're a Duelist, so the chaos resistance nodes are pretty far away to boot) and it's not a super common item mod. In later difficulties the side areas also become much higher in difficulty than the main areas, which could bite you in the rear end if you forget about it.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
ive never given a seconds thought to chaos resist, the game feels balanced around having -60% for conventional builds

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
After having been playing a CI 10k ES bladefall miner for the past few days, I'm going to be reckless and make my first char next league a CI as well. Being able to casually stand around in poison clouds like it's nothing (and it actually is nothing) is so loving nice. Murdered regular queen atziri twice in a row last night so I'm stoked.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
life leech is a complex concept in poe due to multiple waves of tweaks for balance purposes

leech is not instant. When you hit an enemy with an attack or spell that leeches, you will normally leech 2% of your total hp per second per enemy, for however long as it takes to regenerate the amount that you leeched with that hit, until your life bulb is full again. Then it stops, like hp potions do. This normally stacks up to ten times (ie 20% of your total hp per second - the "maximum leech rate"). So if you hit eleven enemies at once with a single hit, the eleventh hit doesn't add any leech. if you hit more enemies and those existing leeches are still generating, the additional hits don't add any leech. The intention was to limit how much leech endgame players could acquire.

in Normal difficulty, you will not normally manage to leech 2% of your total hp per second. Your life is maybe ~500-1000ish, 2% of that is 10-20, many sources of leech only give 0.2-0.4%, you will have to be hitting enemies for ~3k damage per second to reach the cap. So, those mods don't really provide at benefit at this stage - feel free to ignore them.

Realistically, by the same reasoning, you're not actually going to be leeching a lot. But as long you keep your life flask sizes up-to-date, you're not going to have a problem, even without any life leech or gain on hit. Also, you're a marauder, you have lots of passive regen in your tree nearby.

tl; dr: don't worry about leech, it doesn't do much for you now anyway, just use your flasks

Surprise gearchecks: There are no immunities. Players spec for single damage type output, mainly, for efficient stacking of modifiers. don't worry about that.

as with D2, getting capped resists is a gear check; game is balanced around 75/75/75/-60, so you eventually need +135 to all elements (the game does not consider chaos an element). this is not difficult. rolls on each item of equipment go up to +48 and you can get three such rolls on a single glove. while levelling through acts, usually players scrounge to meet the cap, then only optimize at level 60+. btw, heads up: in Act 2 Normal you will be offered a permanent choice of +40 to life, +10 to all elements, +60 mana, or a passive point. pick the life or the passive point - you can make up the resistances easily later, much more so than +40 life.

the main newbie trap is not getting enough +%increased maximum life from tree. 4% or 5% from tree seems drab and unexciting. in practice you will eventually need about +150-200% increased life, especially as a melee character.

ronya fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 26, 2016

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

ronya posted:

Surprise gearchecks: There are no immunities. Players spec for single damage type output, mainly, for efficient stacking of modifiers. don't worry about that.

Im going to be annoyingly pedantic and say that this isnt entirely true. There are a few bosses/uniques that cannot be ignited, which will gently caress over builds that rely entirely on burn.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Wait hold on, you guys didn't point out that there is actually an invincible build? It uses the following setup:

1. Cast on Crit Immortal with a Voll's Protector, Voll's Devotion, and Romira's Banquet with any very high hits/second skill (I've seen things like this done with Spectral Throw, Molten Strike, and Cyclone). This constantly crits, generating power charges and removing them, which turns them into constantly generating endurance charges.
2. If you have 7 endurance charges, the duration of Immortal Call is longer than the cooldown. So with those 2 uniques and enough attacks/sec, Cyclone - Cast on Crit - Immortal Call - Increased Critical Strikes - Blade Vortex should always be casting max charge Immortal Calls on cooldown. For a final link, you could use either Assassin's Mark to improve consistency or some kind of damage skill to actually kill enemies.
3. Wearing a Saffel's Frame and having 60% aura effect + lvl 23 Purity of _____ gives you 87 max resists, 88 with the +max resist nodes. With all the aura nodes on the tree, you can run all the Purities with Empower + Enlighten to get this.
4. Pathfinder can get 30% flask effect if you skip 2 notables, there's 30% on the tree, and 8% from Conqueror's Potency. This gives 68%, which is enough to make a 6% resistance flask give 10 max resist. This puts you at 98% all resist.
5. A corrupted chest and amulet gives +1% max resists, so with both of these you can get up to 100% all resists. Yes, this requires a corrupted 6L Voll's Protector.
6. Going CI means that you are immune to chaos.

http://poeurl.com/JMG should be the minimum possible tree to achieve this, and also get enough crit nodes to consistently crit with a Vagan dagger using Cyclone. Surgeon's Flasks keeps your flasks charged, and a Diamond Flask can be used to get that last bit of consistency. Yes, you will instantly die to anything while not cycloning because you have no life or ES, and the build costs like 500 exalts for the chest. But it's theoretically immune to all damage.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ultima66 posted:

Wait hold on, you guys didn't point out that there is actually an invincible build? It uses the following setup:

1. Cast on Crit Immortal with a Voll's Protector, Voll's Devotion, and Romira's Banquet with any very high hits/second skill (I've seen things like this done with Spectral Throw, Molten Strike, and Cyclone). This constantly crits, generating power charges and removing them, which turns them into constantly generating endurance charges.
2. If you have 7 endurance charges, the duration of Immortal Call is longer than the cooldown. So with those 2 uniques and enough attacks/sec, Cyclone - Cast on Crit - Immortal Call - Increased Critical Strikes - Blade Vortex should always be casting max charge Immortal Calls on cooldown. For a final link, you could use either Assassin's Mark to improve consistency or some kind of damage skill to actually kill enemies.
3. Wearing a Saffel's Frame and having 60% aura effect + lvl 23 Purity of _____ gives you 87 max resists, 88 with the +max resist nodes. With all the aura nodes on the tree, you can run all the Purities with Empower + Enlighten to get this.
4. Pathfinder can get 30% flask effect if you skip 2 notables, there's 30% on the tree, and 8% from Conqueror's Potency. This gives 68%, which is enough to make a 6% resistance flask give 10 max resist. This puts you at 98% all resist.
5. A corrupted chest and amulet gives +1% max resists, so with both of these you can get up to 100% all resists. Yes, this requires a corrupted 6L Voll's Protector.
6. Going CI means that you are immune to chaos.

http://poeurl.com/JMG should be the minimum possible tree to achieve this, and also get enough crit nodes to consistently crit with a Vagan dagger using Cyclone. Surgeon's Flasks keeps your flasks charged, and a Diamond Flask can be used to get that last bit of consistency. Yes, you will instantly die to anything while not cycloning because you have no life or ES, and the build costs like 500 exalts for the chest. But it's theoretically immune to all damage.

There's no final cap on allres :psyboom:

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
There literally isn't a +1% max res volls on poe.trade that I can find, let alone a 6L one

Not even in Standard.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

I think you're more likely to have 5 Mirrors drop for you in a single Burst race than to pull off all that poo poo.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

There's no final cap on allres :psyboom:

I think its capped at 95 but don't quote me.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Kild posted:

I think its capped at 95 but don't quote me.

Im going to quote you and say that Ive had 104% fire res before a few of the max res nerfs.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

TheRat posted:

Im going to quote you and say that Ive had 104% fire res before a few of the max res nerfs.

well you'll get an invoice from my lawyer for breaching my terms.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

:<

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Legacy Saffell's has +5% allres instead of +4% so you can skip the corruption on the chest. Doesn't fix the problem of having like 2000 ES and 1 life though.

And yeah, it was pretty easy to get 100% resist in a specific element before the Flask changes. RotP had 8, Purity of Fire has always given 4% without scaling up aura effect/level. That puts you at 87%, and pre-nerf elemental resist flasks with Alchemist cluster gave 13%.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB
Ty for the responses. Eager to cleave some more poo poo and send these fools to my ancestors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

The Crusher posted:

Ty for the responses. Eager to cleave some more poo poo and send these fools to my ancestors.

how much do you love nekomimi cliffyb?

• Locked thread