Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

MikeCrotch posted:

Jesus christ. If anyone wants to listen to the death of a singer's voice in real time, Bloodstock have put up the full video of Fear Factory's set. I didn't realise it was this bad because the crowd was drowning Burton out by singing the songs better than he was.

Link to the end of Pisschrist for rock bottom :stonk:

drat, pack it in Burton.

I used to worship this band up to Digimortal (or is the term up to Obsolete - Digitmortal was the beginning of the end, BACK THE gently caress UP... ughhh)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
i really liked archetype when i was 16

i can barely listen to that album anymore

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Varg posted:

I tried recently to go back and listen to a Nightwish song I used to like when I was 14 and couldn't make it halfway through

when I was around that age I was a giant fan of Rhapsody, Sonata Arctica, Dream Theater, and all of that kind of cheesy poo poo. Even then I had trouble stomaching Nightwish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnhNPM1A4t8
Ugh

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?

Kumbamontu posted:

also new In Flames if you still consider them metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yafxUluB6DA

Well the first 20 seconds aren't bad, which is an improvement over some of the trash they've released I guess. If I didn't know better, I don't think I could bring myself to believe that this is the same band (sort of, at this point) that wrote Moonshield. I read somewhere that Jesper quit due to alcoholism, but I'd probably try to drink myself to death if I had to deal with a vocalist who thought this alt-rock shitcore crap they've been doing for the last 10 or so years is good...

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Kumbamontu posted:

could have been worse i guess, both this and the new meshuggah are pretty loving boring though
This was actually not that bad.

Nowhere near as good as they used to be, but it's still listenable.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
Speaking of bad singers, I've been listening to the live version of Ayreon's Human Equation that was released this year and it's really surprising how good James LaBrie is on it. I've heard bunch of Dream Theater live recordings and he always sounds terrible on those, maybe he actually gave a gently caress for once.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Obfuscation posted:

Speaking of bad singers, I've been listening to the live version of Ayreon's Human Equation that was released this year and it's really surprising how good James LaBrie is on it. I've heard bunch of Dream Theater live recordings and he always sounds terrible on those, maybe he actually gave a gently caress for once.

I don't get the impression Dream Theater fans are there for the singing somehow

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

muike posted:

carcass and deafheaven on the same bill may be uhhhh a little odd

I sincerely wish I could see both on the same day.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

MikeCrotch posted:

I don't get the impression Dream Theater fans are there for the singing somehow

They're totally there to score some poon.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Spanish Manlove posted:

I sincerely wish I could see both on the same day.
I'm glad I can because for once there's a Pennsylvania show that isn't in Philadelphia. :getin:

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.
Speaking of unusual lineups, Overkill/Nile/Amorphis/Swallow the Sun tour was just announced.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
why do lineups have to be 'unusual' and not simply varied? Who the gently caress wants to spend 5 hours at a straight death metal show? boring

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Linked from the Bloodstock account - AKERCOCKE is back. :D

No more suits for now at least... and Jason lost all his hair. :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5ICzFEI0Z8

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Weaponized Cum posted:

why do lineups have to be 'unusual' and not simply varied? Who the gently caress wants to spend 5 hours at a straight death metal show? boring

Cause death metal done well is awesome?

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.

Vintersorg posted:

Linked from the Bloodstock account - AKERCOCKE is back. :D

No more suits for now at least... and Jason lost all his hair. :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5ICzFEI0Z8

I am glad they're back but man every time I see a live video of them the mix is god awful.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Weaponized Cum posted:

Because I don't go to a death metal gig to hear some bullshit like Baroness?

Cervix-A-Lot
Sep 29, 2006
Cheeeeesy
I love Baroness!

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

Bummer how people aren't digging that Meshuggah track. I can't get enough of it! I don't know what it is about those guys, but no matter what kinds of weird music I get into over the years, Meshuggah albums somehow always become huge events for me. Something about their music just scratches that itch.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

symbolic posted:

I'm glad I can because for once there's a Pennsylvania show that isn't in Philadelphia. :getin:

It's rare for a tour to come to florida so I'm pretty stupid for not going out to see what little comes around. Last show I went to was the Vektor/Voivod tour just because Vektor's sincerely my favorite band right now.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

oversteps posted:

Bummer how people aren't digging that Meshuggah track. I can't get enough of it! I don't know what it is about those guys, but no matter what kinds of weird music I get into over the years, Meshuggah albums somehow always become huge events for me. Something about their music just scratches that itch.

the worst thing that can be said about it is it sounds a meshuggah song

on the other than the best thing that can be said about it is it sounds a meshuggah song

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

So the new Ulcerate song is insanely good

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Gnumonic posted:

Well the first 20 seconds aren't bad, which is an improvement over some of the trash they've released I guess. If I didn't know better, I don't think I could bring myself to believe that this is the same band (sort of, at this point) that wrote Moonshield. I read somewhere that Jesper quit due to alcoholism, but I'd probably try to drink myself to death if I had to deal with a vocalist who thought this alt-rock shitcore crap they've been doing for the last 10 or so years is good...

Jesper later clarified that he left the band because he didn't like their new style. He said "for me the band was a guitar/riff based melo-death band, and it's not anymore." So basically, he knew they sucked.

If Running Wild and Helstar were any indication, we've got about ten years left before they quit the modern crap and start trying to relive the old days, which is what we're been hoping In Flames would do for 15+ years now...

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

comes along bort posted:

the worst thing that can be said about it is it sounds a meshuggah song

on the other than the best thing that can be said about it is it sounds a meshuggah song

I'm glad they exist; they're the only 'djent' band that is good. The idea of playing polymetric music exclusively is cool, to me. All their songs sound similar but the rhythmic patterns are more or less complex in each song, it's fun to listen to them and try and parse what exactly is happening. I also thing their lead guitarist is one of the finest in extreme metal 2day, even if his style is really reminiscent of Allan Holdsworth. It is a mystery to me why ppl hate them so much, just kidding, i know why they're hated, its bcuz of the association with djent, a stupid name for a stupid style which imo meshuggah are only tangentially associated with.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

To Battle posted:

I am glad they're back but man every time I see a live video of them the mix is god awful.

It sounded better live, most of the Bloodstock streams sound worse than they did in person. Bloodstock has always had pretty bad sound though, to be fair.

Also I thought Jason was going to start crying when the crowd was chanting "Welcome Back" at him

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

david crosby posted:

I'm glad they exist; they're the only 'djent' band that is good. The idea of playing polymetric music exclusively is cool, to me. All their songs sound similar but the rhythmic patterns are more or less complex in each song, it's fun to listen to them and try and parse what exactly is happening. I also thing their lead guitarist is one of the finest in extreme metal 2day, even if his style is really reminiscent of Allan Holdsworth. It is a mystery to me why ppl hate them so much, just kidding, i know why they're hated, its bcuz of the association with djent, a stupid name for a stupid style which imo meshuggah are only tangentially associated with.

People hated Meshuggah for being monotonous well before djent was a thing. I personally enjoy them and am strongly considering seeing them with High On Fire though.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

MikeCrotch posted:

It sounded better live, most of the Bloodstock streams sound worse than they did in person. Bloodstock has always had pretty bad sound though, to be fair.

Also I thought Jason was going to start crying when the crowd was chanting "Welcome Back" at him

Aw man, thats so sweet. Metal feels. :(

I listened to 3/4 of the set last night before going out and it was so good. I cant wait for new music and hopefully a tour touching down here in North America. They are such a brilliant band.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

New Twilight Force should be mandatory listening for producers as a lesson on how overproduction and bad mixing can take an album from classic status down to just really good.

How did they gently caress up so bad after the mix on the debut was so good.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

Aw man, thats so sweet. Metal feels. :(

I listened to 3/4 of the set last night before going out and it was so good. I cant wait for new music and hopefully a tour touching down here in North America. They are such a brilliant band.

Indeed, their last two albums were loving amazing. Looking at metal archives, I guess their new guitarist was their original one.

Also with the Meshuggah talk, they're not a bad band imo. I think the worst thing that can be said is that their are so many djent bands now that play the same poo poo. It happens in every genre of metal but they started something and I don't like it, I don't like it one bit hombre.

Less Claypool fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Aug 26, 2016

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Nazzadan posted:

New Twilight Force should be mandatory listening for producers as a lesson on how overproduction and bad mixing can take an album from classic status down to just really good.

How did they gently caress up so bad after the mix on the debut was so good.

Worse than Enemies of Reality?

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

MikeCrotch posted:

Worse than Enemies of Reality?

Haven't heard it so I dunno my dude.

It's so irritating because this album is ridiculously good, just whoever mixed it decided that the vocalist in a power metal band should be shoved all the way to the back, the synth should overpower the rhythm guitar and the orchestral bits should be blaring at max volume no matter what else is going on in the song.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Nazzadan posted:

whoever mixed it decided that the vocalist in a power metal band should be shoved all the way to the back,

To be fair, this would improve a good number of power metal albums.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Nazzadan posted:

It's so irritating because this album is ridiculously good, just whoever mixed it decided that the vocalist in a power metal band should be shoved all the way to the back, the synth should overpower the rhythm guitar and the orchestral bits should be blaring at max volume no matter what else is going on in the song.

i dunno that sounds kinda neat

e: speaking of is there anything like avant garde power metal akin to a lot of those goofier french black metal bands that have been all the rage for a while now?

not like lolwackyrandom 4th tier mr bungle knockoff stuff like unexpect, but something that traffics in the standard genre cliches and actively subverts them

seems like anyone drawn to that stuff has zero self awareness or sense of humor about themselves so it's probably not likely but someone here ought to know

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Aug 26, 2016

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

comes along bort posted:

i dunno that sounds kinda neat

I've seen plenty of people that love it the way it is, I just think it could be better.

Probably PMAOTY though

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Kumbamontu posted:

could have been worse i guess, both this and the new meshuggah are pretty loving boring though

In Flames put up another song "The Truth" on Spotify only

https://play.spotify.com/album/6SKwtpMm0UTjVTlcGJalyX

I am surprised to say that I'm actually really digging this track. The main riff is fun, and the lead over the top of it at the beginning/during the chorus is reminiscent of their dueling guitar era. Not bad. Still not up to par with Clayman and everything before it, but it's a step in the right direction.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Haha, Agalloch got a new singer and changed their name to Khôrada. Suck it Jon Haughm.

http://www.invisibleoranges.com/introducing-khorada/

They got the singer of Giant Squid to replace him.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I was never really into Agalloch anyway but good for Aaron Gregory. I'm still bummed that Giant Squid had to break up.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

COOL CORN posted:

Haha, Agalloch got a new singer and changed their name to Khôrada. Suck it Jon Haughm.

What happened exactly? Did Haughm pull a Mike Portnoy basically.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

COOL CORN posted:

Well at least every Agalloch album in their discography is ridiculously good and will allow me a place to hide from this new band.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

COOL CORN posted:

We played with Children of Bodom once and I went to shake Alexi's hand and he literally made no eye contact and shoulder-checked me on the way by

Well that's my story

In 2000 I bummed a cigarette off of Alexi outside a club in Helsinki waiting for a Sonata Arctica show. Kimberly Goss was there ( as was the rest of the Sinergy crew ) and was so excited to hear someone with a not-Finnish accent that she invited me and my friends to hangout with them and watch the show. We did, got very drunk, and then they invited us out to another club after, then eventually Alexi/Kimberly's apartment where I smoked cigarettes with Alexi under the oven hood while a friend of my butchered some songs on one of Alexi's guitars. I was a complete and utter lame-rear end fanboy and I recall I kept saying "Holy poo poo I can't believe I'm hanging out with you guys" and Alexi was very patient and probably supremely annoyed ( or happy? IDK ).

We exchanged phone numbers, a few texts, and when we were up north at Nummirock later that month they invited us backstage but would only let 1 of us ( out of 6 ) in. Then things got weird because it was a big backstage area and we didn't understand why only one person could go, so we just said if we can't all go none of us will, and Kimberly just turned around sharply and left and there was no further contact.

Alexi did make it clear he really hated this one guy who was with us who I guess went to high school with him and felt that he was owed something like free passes and entrance to shows and stuff, so we like to think it was all his fault.

I haven't listened to CoB since after HCD either though, it just got boring.

:unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

It took me a second listen but I'm really into the new Meshuggah single. Rhythmically genius as expected but the melodic aspects are what I didn't get the first time through. The band sounds a lot closer to their live sound too and I'm a huge fan of that. Meshuggah never sounded sterile and over compressed like the billions of ripoffs but hearing their style of bonecrushing riffage in a more natural production style is great. I love these dudes and its an impressive feat to stay this solid, even improving in my opinion after doing their thing for so long that there have been waves of bands solely based on what they were doing in the 90s.

e: and now I can't stop repeating the song

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Aug 27, 2016