Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

:confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015

You must pay the price for this post.
All of those things make sense to you and I, but can you think like a mad man? Sure, he got 35% of the vote in a primary where he destroyed the reputations of the republican party's top crop, which was withered and low energy, but still the best they had to offer. He does the predictable thing pointed out, lays low, takes over breitbart and renames it after himself, and then tries to play king maker with the power to slander the gently caress out of any republican who stands against trumps uh, apprentice.

I'm half playing devils advocate here to be honest. The phenomenon you're seeing isn't leftists picking up their tents and leaving central park. Because the RNC didn't fully endorse trump, because paul ryan squabbled with him, because he humiliated the 15 most likely to be next republican presidents, donald trump will be absolved of his failure. The old formula worked on people who were portrayed as moderates and who kept with the old tradition of moving to the center for the general. They failed because they weren't sufficiently conservative, so it goes. But Trump can't fail for being too conservative, it must be those guys who sabotaged him.

I just don't think a majority of conservatives are going to walk away from this election going "oops too conservative guys, lets let paul ryan and the gop elite decide the next president they're smarter than us and conservatism, finally, failed." It's just the easiest narrative that doesn't admit fault. The fish monster can't even save you, he'll be the chief judas is this loving black mass.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Who else better to run Trump's campaign?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

FactsAreUseless posted:

I mean there was the big recall and stuff, I can definitely imagine being angry about government regulation if I was a tea party type.

Live free or die from ignoring a simple fix to your accelerator pedal.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Soon, the whole planet will be beige.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

No TPP!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
What happened to Conservatives buying American makes?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Hey, there's already a thread out there for this kind of stuff...

Just saying because there's a lot of stuff out there and posting any significant portion of it will gunk up this thread.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

CommieGIR posted:

What happened to Conservatives buying American makes?

Toyotas are American, you car racist.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I wouldn't put it past big gubm't to steal away my Toyota and make me buy a foreign car

AMorePerfctGoonion
Aug 11, 2016

by exmarx
Seems to be a voluntary recall by Toyota. I don't hear them complaining about government heavy handedness.

quote:

This time, Toyota found that rust can form on the suspension arm threads if the nuts for the rear wheel alignment weren't tightened correctly. If that happens, the suspension arm could separate from the vehicle and cause the driver to lose control.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Phone posted:

Toyotas are American, you car racist.

Many Toyotas sold in the US were, in fact, assembled in the US.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

axe_vendetta posted:

Seems to be a voluntary recall by Toyota. I don't hear them complaining about government heavy handedness.

Regardless shouldn't these crazies be saying "gently caress the Nips and their Toyota trash" while riding around in a God-Given Red Blooded American Ford F3500? (regardless of where Toyotas were actually manufactured... that would take thought)

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

berserker posted:

Regardless shouldn't these crazies be saying "gently caress the Nips and their Toyota trash" while riding around in a God-Given Red Blooded American Ford F3500? (regardless of where Toyotas were actually manufactured... that would take thought)

I work with someone who calls Toyotas "tojo cars," I wish I was kidding

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

OH my god these memes are from this year?

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

silvergoose posted:

First time he was elected a 3rd party rear end in a top hat siphoned off a huge amount of the D vote.

Second time he elected same goddamn thing with the same goddamn 3rd party rear end in a top hat.

The first time LePage ran, the D's figured it was in the bag so hard that they ran someone that made Martha Coakley look like Obama. Libby Mitchell managed just 19% of the vote which has to be the floor of what you can get running as Goofball McNoeffort - D in Maine. The Maine Dems are a bunch of losers and their going away present to a retiring state party member was to let her run a vanity campaign for governor; where she put in no effort and got smashed by both LePage and Cutler. Trying to blame LePage on Cutler is insane because the Dems should have either run an actual candidate or gotten the gently caress out of the way of the actual progressive candidate (they figured this out when Angus King ran for Senate at least).

tl;dr: the Maine Democratic Party are terrible and stupid and have been repeatedly defeated by a racist idiot

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

zoux posted:

OH my god these memes are from this year?
I would assume so, it's an election year.

AMorePerfctGoonion
Aug 11, 2016

by exmarx
Trump campaign chief Steve Bannon is registered voter at vacant Florida home

quote:

Bannon’s enrollment is apparent violation of crucial swing state’s election law requiring voters to be legal residents of county they register in

I guess Trump was right to be worried about election fraud after all.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

FactsAreUseless posted:

I would assume so, it's an election year.

One has that meme pic from David Cameron from years ago.

https://twitter.com/aseitzwald/status/769251131239362560

If Steve King won't even call her a bigot...

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

zoux posted:

They also think he's a Democrat.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Stinky Wizzleteats posted:

donald trump will be absolved of his failure

No one will ever let that happen because this is likely to cost them the Senate and it's actually possible it could cost them the House. It won't cost them the House, but it's a thing that can be brought up in conversation now without being laughed out of the room. That's a change, any other Republican candidate and nobody would be even talking about the House being in play. And that's the bottom line. A Republican Party that meaningfully has it's federal power threatened will do anything to retain it, and Trump style politics is looking to cost them huuuge. It's not just a matter of not winning, or losing the Presidency badly. It's having down ticket results. Doubling down on that poo poo could cost them power for long enough for the demographic shift to come into play, at which point the party is over on a federal level.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/aseitzwald/status/769251131239362560

If Steve King won't even call her a bigot...

Where's Gohmert and the other King?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Conservatives ate minorities!

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Why are we posting this stuff to this thread

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Because it's better than most of the normal posts.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I miss eugenics chat

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

berserker posted:

They caught on that Toyota assembled their trucks in the US, unlike FORD WHO GIVES ARE JOBS TO THOSE GODDAMN MEXICANS.
And yeah, I've heard basically that exact argument.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

Moatman posted:

They caught on that Toyota assembled their trucks in the US, unlike FORD WHO GIVES ARE JOBS TO THOSE GODDAMN MEXICANS.
And yeah, I've heard basically that exact argument.

Are they forgetting that Ford was a huge racist and Nazi sympathizer?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Goatman Sacks posted:

I miss eugenics chat

Then look up Buck v. Bell (got mentionned in the SCOTUS thread) and be horrified.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

OddObserver posted:

Then look up Buck v. Bell (got mentionned in the SCOTUS thread) and be horrified.

Well, that was amazingly depressing.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

berserker posted:

Nah, it's probably a huge plus for them.

Atahualpa
Aug 18, 2015

A lucky bird.

FactsAreUseless posted:

This is really important to keep in mind. Information saturation also plays a large part. There were reports of people in polls saying the media seemed dishonest based on the number of anti-Trump ads that were running. People don't have the capacity to consciously process every bit of information they come across.

One of my favorite information saturation stories regards Iraq WMD. In the mid-2000s, the media spent a lot of time reporting that we found no WMD in Iraq. "No WMD" they said," "No WMD in Iraq." Something like 70 percent of Americans, when polled, said that Iraq had WMD. Why? Because the amount of information thrown at people is impossible to fully process, and people don't tend to hear negatives. They just heard "Iraq" and "WMD" a lot, and formed a connection. People often know things without really learning them, and don't question why. It's because all the information we see - and I mean all of it, from traffic lights to food labels - our brain has to process, and most of that processing is subconscious. It takes a lot of time and work just to be an active media consumer.

See also the concept of fluency effects. The ease with which we process a stimulus/piece of information can have all sorts of effects on our judgment of its truth, beauty, familiarity, etc., and it's ridiculously easy to manipulate. You can give people a list of sentences, tell them outright that they're false, and then test them a while later when they've forgotten all about it and they'll be more likely to think that the same sentences are true, all because under the hood their brains are essentially going, "Hmm, these neurons are firing pretty fast, must be something to it".

Boogaleeboo posted:

No one will ever let that happen because this is likely to cost them the Senate and it's actually possible it could cost them the House. It won't cost them the House, but it's a thing that can be brought up in conversation now without being laughed out of the room. That's a change, any other Republican candidate and nobody would be even talking about the House being in play

Speaking of which, has anyone seen a good, detailed analysis anywhere of the House seats that are potentially in play in this election? I know the overall outcome is almost certain to be "Dems win some seats, GOP retains their majority", but I'm trying to get a sense of just how many and which seats are realistically in the game, and I'm mostly finding either really general articles about trends rather than specifics or lists of competitive races that don't give enough context to judge their methodology. Is a seat considered in play because it's currently polling within the margin of error? Because it's a gerrymandered district with a slim R advantage that could be negated by Trump's effect on the down-ticket? Because the incumbent candidate is embroiled in scandal and facing a tough challenger? On what basis are competitive races being categorized as "likely", "lean", and "toss-up", since it doesn't appear to line up strictly with the polling margins? And so on.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

berserker posted:

Throwback to USPol: April when people were saying "Actually, he wasn't that antisemitic..." for reasons I cannot begin to understand.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Relax. A few things - first off, Rs eat their own. "Conservatism can never fail, only be failed" has been enough to take down plenty of actual republicans, and Trump's outsider status and shaky grasp on what his platform is even supposed to be is going to make that even worse for him. Secondly, he really really really sucks at campaigning, managing a team, all that community organizing stuff that keeps momentum up in a movement. That's going to be even worse after his staff jumps ship, especially since I guarantee he's going to screw people out of their last paychecks and expense reimbursements.

My gut says it's going to go the other way when the poo poo hits the fan. Trump's been prepping the stage for months about how the GOPe is sabotaging him from the inside - he can't admit defeat, but he can throw Ryan/Priebus/etc under the bus as having been the ones who Failed Conservatism to protect their own egos. In the current climate, there's a pretty substantial portion of the GOP base that would buy that. Trump may not be well liked even by the base, but the GOPe isn't exactly popular either.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Iron Crowned posted:

I work with someone who calls Toyotas "tojo cars," I wish I was kidding

I bought a Tacoma many years ago and my coworker was like "I WISH I STILL HAD MY BUMPER STICKER THAT SAID 'I'D RATHER EAT poo poo THAN DRIVE A JAP TRUCK.'"

He was 34 or so in 2008, unironically calling them 'japs.'

The truck was manufactured in California.... :shrug:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Tempest_56 posted:

My gut says it's going to go the other way when the poo poo hits the fan. Trump's been prepping the stage for months about how the GOPe is sabotaging him from the inside - he can't admit defeat, but he can throw Ryan/Priebus/etc under the bus as having been the ones who Failed Conservatism to protect their own egos. In the current climate, there's a pretty substantial portion of the GOP base that would buy that. Trump may not be well liked even by the base, but the GOPe isn't exactly popular either.

I would bet you right now, the ones in Trump's campaign are getting their book ready.
The first sign they are fired, or most likely Trump stops paying them, there will be a mad rush to get book deals signed and out on the shelves.

Trump may fight legally after the election, but I can see books hitting the stands in Jan on how Trump was like inside the campaign.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I never thought about it that way, that's great.

My frustration with trigger warnings as used on the internet (real usage I've personally seen in feminist spaces, not the reddit bogeyman version) is that even at its best it's bad writing. It's so clunky and facile to write TW: VIOLENCE before a link to a headline like "Killing Spree Claims 6" and I think it's easy to slide into TV tropes style keyword spam when well-meaning people try to be mindful and list every trigger the community has ever had to watch out for. It's better to just use your words and write an introduction. If you want to talk about a story that has rape in it, just say so. I hate it when writers on the internet interrupt themselves to stick a trigger warning in there when an actual sentence would work just as well and scan better.

There's also a lot of misconceptions about how triggers trip. Just mentioning that a thing exists doesn't normally do it - it has to be graphic, something that brings the experience to life. A combat veteran with PTSD might avoid fireworks displays, but that doesn't mean they want you to TW the Katy Perry song just because she uses the word.

Preaching to the choir here, I know, but communication matters and I think trying to take shortcuts just makes everything worse.

From last night, I know, but I wanted to point out this awesome post.

I've come across a few areas that struck me as egregious uses of Trigger Warnings that seem to only fuel morons in their crusade against social justice. I say this as someone who actually suffers from PTSD and Generalized Anxiety Disorder, so insensitivity isn't my aim here.

From everydayfeminism.com the editors note in particular makes me facepalm pretty hard.

quote:

Editor’s Note: Like this phenomenal article, Everyday Feminism definitely believes in giving people a heads up about material that might provoke our reader’s trauma. However, we use the phrase “content warning” instead of “trigger warning,” as the word “trigger” relies on and evokes violent weaponry imagery. This could be re-traumatizing for folks who have suffered military, police, and other forms of violence. So, while warnings are so necessary and the points in this article are right on, we strongly encourage the term “content warning” instead of “trigger warning.”

This list from Kyriarchy & Privilege 101, which seems to be a legitimate Tumblr page.

quote:

Common Trigger Warnings

Below you will find a list (in no particular order) of common trigger warnings. If discussing one of these things, it is considered common courtesy to put a simple “Trigger Warning: [Subject]” before a post.

Please note: This is a work in progress. If there are any triggers you feel are missing, please feel free to drop us an ask.
◾Swearing
◾Rape
◾Abuse (physical, mental, emotional, verbal, sexual)
◾Child abuse/pedophilia
◾Self-injurious behavior (self-harm, eating disorders, etc.)
◾Talk of drug use (legal, illegal or psychiatric)
◾Suicide
◾Descriptions/pictures of medical procedures (even if they don’t contain blood or gore)
◾Descriptions/pictures of violence or warfare (including instruments of violence, such as knives or guns)
◾Corpses, skulls or skeletons
◾Needles
◾Discussions of -isms, shaming, or hatred of any kind (racism, classism, hatred of cultures/ethnicities that differ from your own, sexism, hatred of sexualities or genders that differ from your own, anti-multiple, non-vanilla shaming, sex positive shaming, fat shaming/body image shaming, neuroatypical shaming)
◾Any time slurs are used (this includes words like “stupid” or “dumb”, which are still widely considered to be socially acceptable)
◾Trans* degendering, or anti-trans* views of bodies
◾Dismissal of lived oppressions, marginalization, illness or differences
◾Kidnapping (forceful deprivation of/disregard for personal autonomy)
◾Discussions of sex (even consensual)
◾Death or dying
◾Spiders
◾Insects
◾Snakes
◾Vomit
◾Pregnancy/childbirth
◾Blood
◾Serious injury
◾Trypophobia (Link is safe.)
◾Scarification
◾Nazi paraphernalia
◾Slimy things
◾Anything that might inspire intrusive thoughts in people with OCD

It feels like these sort of sites make getting more people the help they need, and the legitimate use of trigger warnings, much harder. They read like satire to me.

It's not all bad though, as I found the submission guidelines for Polychrome Ink requiring entirely reasonable (at least to me) warnings.

quote:

This is not a PG-13 publication. We do not turn away anything for having triggers. And we do not post warnings for the following:
•profane language
•sexually explicit content
•horror
•offensive language and derogatory terms when presented creatively, artistically, and responsibly

The following triggers require a warning if your writing includes them. Any other triggers are to be added at your discretion.
•Abortion
•Abuse: Physical
•Abuse: Emotional
•Abuse: Sexual
•Abuse: Animal
•Racism
•Self-Harm: General
•Self-Harm: Cutting
•Self-Harm: Eating Disorder
•Violence: General
•Violence: Gore
•Violence: Descriptive Hate Crime
•Violence: Mutilation

What about you lot? Where should the line be drawn as a 'best practices' sort of thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Atahualpa posted:

On what basis are competitive races being categorized as "likely", "lean", and "toss-up", since it doesn't appear to line up strictly with the polling margins? And so on.

It's a combination of recruit strength, Partisan Voter Index, and fundraising. For instance, the Indiana Senate race is "Lean D" because even though Indiana is a red state (PVI of R+5), Evan Bayh was the top Democratic recruit (because he's got high name recognition and favorability in Indiana) and he has truckloads of money (left over from his previous races).

By contrast, Virginia's 2nd Congressional District is a district Obama narrowly won in 2012 (PVI R+2), but the Dems down there couldn't recruit a strong candidate and ended up with someone who lost four City Council races, who is now getting out-raised by like 20-to-1 or something. So the end result is the seat being "Safe R" this cycle.

EDIT: "Recruit Strength" is a combination of in-district name recognition and favorability, prior elected experience, and fundraising capability. It's definitely more of a qualitative thing than a quantitative thing, and it's sometimes a judgement call.

Jackson Taus fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 26, 2016

• Locked thread