Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
Really generic event this weekend, would you believe there is a personal challenge and a Cyclops leaderboard?
https://mwomercs.com/tournaments?t=201608mechs

Still, they have been giving out a steady trickle of MC in these, so if you want to get 75 MC closer to a mechbay, go for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Free poo poo is free poo poo. Also you get a hanging item if you kill a Cyclops. No team kills don't count.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

So how is the cyclops now that it has some play time? OK assault or awful hitbox mess?

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Cyclops heads seem easy to hit. bust out the dual gauss or AC20

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I am trapped on an island so enjoy the event goons and :commissar: a pubbie for me.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
I'm really surprised there isn't just an automatic daily or weekly quest system at this point.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Cease to Hope posted:

I'm really surprised there isn't just an automatic daily or weekly quest system at this point.

There really should be, would save whoever does up the webpages a lot of time.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Cease to Hope posted:

I would probably turn this into a TMC article if TMC hadn't turned to poo poo, but here's Future Battletech Weapons In MWO. For reference, it's either 3052 or 3053 in MWO.

:words: click the post link above

I'll do Clan poo poo and 3060s poo poo later if I feel like it.

I feel like it.

All of the new 3050s IS gear is about catching up with the clans, both in-universe and in terms of the tabletop game rules, or it's weird experimental toys from the Solaris arenas. Clans didn't need to catch up and didn't participate in Solaris, so they got fewer new toys.

Clans:

ER Pulse Lasers (3057) combine most of the range of ER lasers with some of the accuracy boost of pulse lasers, but are as large as and run about half again as hot as pulse lasers. They're just not especially attractive: ERMPLs are the only decent ones, and they're just okay. They never catch on.

Heavy Lasers (3059) are a signature Smoke Jaguar weapon, and like the Smoke Jaguars, they're hopelessly awful garbage. They do an absolute shitload of damage - an HLL does 16 damage - but they're extremely hot, rather inaccurate, and short-ranged compared most clan lasers (on par with IS standard lasers). The accuracy penalty makes them more or less totally skippable in tabletop. It's hard to imagine what niche they'd fill in MWO.

Heavy MGs (3059) do slightly more damage for slightly more weight and mostly exist to give battle armor more weapon options and lead to less call for fractional accounting in MG-armed clan mechs. They'd probably be a useful upgrade on any clan mechs that used MGs.

I'll do 3060s weapons and non-weapon upgrades later.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Cease to Hope posted:

Heavy MGs (3059) do slightly more damage for slightly more weight and mostly exist to give battle armor more weapon options and lead to less call for fractional accounting in MG-armed clan mechs. They'd probably be a useful upgrade on any clan mechs that used MGs.

Unfortunately they, like every other Battle Armor weapon (except the micro-pulse laser, which still has a niche use), are completely outclassed by the AP Gauss Rifle.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Cyrano4747 posted:

So how is the cyclops now that it has some play time? OK assault or awful hitbox mess?

In my opinion the hitboxes are good and the mech can tank really well. But other than that it stinks.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

:toot: I GOT ACE OF SPADES WITH A LOCUST :toot:

God bless crappy Assault pilots :allears:

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
God bless solo que.

Congrats.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Cease to Hope posted:

Heavy Lasers (3059) are a signature Smoke Jaguar weapon, and like the Smoke Jaguars, they're hopelessly awful garbage. They do an absolute shitload of damage - an HLL does 16 damage - but they're extremely hot, rather inaccurate, and short-ranged compared most clan lasers (on par with IS standard lasers). The accuracy penalty makes them more or less totally skippable in tabletop. It's hard to imagine what niche they'd fill in MWO.

This isn't quite right. For most mechs and applications, yeah, they're not that good, what with the accuracy penalty, double heat, and extra critical space usage. Where they shine, however, is on fast mechs with limited pod space that normally don't tax their default 10 DHS. What they do is significantly improve the lethality of mechs like the Fire Moth, Mist Lynx, Arctic cheetah, Viper, Ice Ferret, and Linebacker.

The heavy Large laser, in fact, is the lightest headchopper in the game, weighing in at only 4 tons. Sure, it also generates 18(!!) heat, but when you have 7.5 tons for hardware, you're not giving up a lot in order to be able to use it.

Also, the heavy laser is a Star Adder system, not a Smoked Jag weapon.

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

Its tough enough to be an assault and also nimble enough, its quite hard to make a weapons setup work on many of the variants, the quirks dont give you anything specific really, so ive turned all mine into baby atlases with an AC20 and 3/4 SRM racks. Its ok. The seven missile hardpoint version is an utter laugh, an XL400 and all the missiles i can fit on it works well.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
+1 to hit (a penalty) is just so punishing in BT that HLs are junk. The poor range brackets them even less accurate than that, in practice. Even in your examples, a mech like the Viper A routinely outperforms the Viper H, despite the fact that the A also uses a SRM6A (which is not very good in TT).

A.o.D. posted:

Also, the heavy laser is a Star Adder system, not a Smoked Jag weapon.

My mistake, you're right.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Cease to Hope posted:

+1 to hit (a penalty) is just so punishing in BT that HLs are junk.

They're meant to be coupled with a targeting computer, which still puts the Clans at a slight advantage since they've typically got better pilots.

They're also meant to be an alternative option to the typical pulse+tarcomp bullshit that Clan players can break out when they want to ruin friendships.

Unfortunately, a combination of factors makes Heavy Lasers really unattractive:
1) Heavy Large Lasers (in particular) are one of the few Clan energy weapons that are heat-inefficient, they generate more heat than damage.
2) The ER PPC does everything the Heavy Large Laser does with 1:1 heat efficiency, and better range brackets. You lose out on one point of damage and it only weighs two tons more.
3) heavy lasers in general are over-valued BV-wise, which means `Mechs mounting heavy lasers have to be extra good or extra lucky to pull their weight.
4) most of the stock-builds that mount them don't have the targeting computer that the heavy laser's to-hit penalty was meant to offset. Since most matches are played with stock `Mechs, most people's only experience with heavy lasers is through `Mechs that use them very badly.
5) and the biggest flaw: Clan Pulse Lasers (and pulse lasers in general) are too good.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Also HSLs are so short-ranged that they're unusable, don't forget that.

All of the problems with HLs also apply to MRMs. FASA, in their wisdom, thought extremely high variance, low-average-performance weapons that are devastating when they succeed was good game design.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Heavy Lasers were introduced in Field Manual Crusader Clans, the same book that gave us the Blood Kite.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Cease to Hope posted:

Heavy Lasers were introduced in Field Manual Crusader Clans, the same book that gave us the Blood Kite.

Is that supposed to be a diss? 'Cause that thing is :krad: as gently caress.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Is that a Transformer?

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Does that fuckin thing even have a cockpit?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

axelsoar posted:

Really generic event this weekend, would you believe there is a personal challenge and a Cyclops leaderboard?
https://mwomercs.com/tournaments?t=201608mechs

Still, they have been giving out a steady trickle of MC in these, so if you want to get 75 MC closer to a mechbay, go for it.

Mathematically, the break even points for heavy lasers, especially smalls and mediums, is better than you might think. Since they're lighter than pulses, yet do more damage, theyre often at a mathematical advantage, especially when you consider that mechs with limited pod space can more easily fit TCs for them than for pulses.

Basically, as long as you're engaging at the same range band as a comparable weapon system and you're keeping your To-hit # at 8 or (without TC) or 9 or under (in a scenario where you can fit a etc with heavies but not pulses) you have greater lethality than other laser combinations.

Mainly this means that you're specializing your 'mech to be a slow 'mech hunter. A fast 'mech with poor pod space And heavy lasers is at a massive disadvantage when facing other agile, fast platforms. The same 'mech and configuration chews up tender, tender assmeats with a frightening efficiency.

TL;DR heavy lasers aren't useless. They're a specialized system with a role that other weapons do not cover with as much efficiency.

Edit: but yeah, their BV rating is actually their biggest flaw.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
You know what are really cool and good, though? Clan ATMs.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

Mathematically, the break even points for heavy lasers, especially smalls and mediums, is better than you might think. Since they're lighter than pulses, yet do more damage, theyre often at a mathematical advantage, especially when you consider that mechs with limited pod space can more easily fit TCs for them than for pulses.

Basically, as long as you're engaging at the same range band as a comparable weapon system and you're keeping your To-hit # at 8 or (without TC) or 9 or under (in a scenario where you can fit a etc with heavies but not pulses) you have greater lethality than other laser combinations.

The +3 to hit is just so huge. You can construct contrived situations where they're marginally better, or you can use cPLs and have much more freedom to take advantage of terrain and engage any sort of enemy.

A.o.D. posted:

You know what are really cool and good, though? Clan ATMs.

Not really. Except at extremely short and extremely long range, they underperform compared to cLRMs, and lose a ton of damage if you mismanage your ammo or choose the wrong ammo type.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 26, 2016

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

If I were going to make an awful decision just to get that ECM Stalker, what IS pack is worth getting? I have the Archer, unfortunately, and I picked up a Black Widow on MC sale...so I'm leaning towards Warhammer.

aniviron posted:

Are we going back to ignoring that picture of the Blood Kite? Because that's not a world I want to live in.

I would buy the Blood Kite in MWO if it looked exactly like that.

Devorum fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Aug 26, 2016

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Are we going back to ignoring that picture of the Blood Kite? Because that's not a world I want to live in.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Devorum posted:

If I were going to make an awful decision just to get that ECM Stalker, what IS pack is worth getting? I have the Archer, unfortunately, and I picked up a Black Widow on MC sale...so I'm leaning towards Warhammer.

The wham 6R(S) is probably the best special mech from an IS collector pack, so it seems like the best plan.

aniviron posted:

Enjoy the Hellfire. Same book, same artist.

Interesting fact: the Blood Kite is currently in-timeline for MWO. It only has one variant with current tech, however, and just one more variant besides (with a Light Active Probe).

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Aug 26, 2016

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Cease to Hope posted:

If only it could spin those guns and holster them it would be an unholy fusion of Robocop and ED-209.

Devorum fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Aug 26, 2016

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Cease to Hope posted:

Was the artist 8 years old back then?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Was the artist 8 years old back then?

Matt Plog is as close to a chief artist as Battletech has had in the last 20 years. Love him or hate him, he set the tone for almost every TRO after TRO3060 in 1997, and originally designed most of the mechs anyone liked in MW3 and 4. (David White, another BT longtimer, did all of the concept designs for MW4, but most were based on pre-existing designs.)

So, show a little fuckin' respect before you make fun of the fact that he's never actually seen a human face.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Cease to Hope posted:

The +3 to hit is just so huge. You can construct contrived situations where they're marginally better, or you can use cPLs and have much more freedom to take advantage of terrain and engage any sort of enemy.

Not really. Except at extremely short and extremely long range, they underperform compared to cLRMs, and lose a ton of damage if you mismanage your ammo or choose the wrong ammo type.

And Ultra AC/20s are really bad if you shoot them at locusts 12 hexes away into light woods through a hex of heavy woods when the locust has a +4 movement modifier and you just got done jumping and for some reason you only brought AC/5 ammo and you can't even shoot the gun anyhow.

Those systems have their place where they out perform older weapons. The heavy lasers have a very specific role, but ATMs are only out performed by LRMs at medium range assuming you know the first thing about ammo management.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Cease to Hope posted:

Oh my god it has pistols. mech hands with mech pistols. WHY.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

Those systems have their place where they out perform older weapons. The heavy lasers have a very specific role, but ATMs are only out performed by LRMs at medium range

If by "medium range" you mean "every range between 4 and 21 hexes," sure. On top of this, ATMs are also a giant pain in the rear end if you're not using Megamek because you've got two or three ammo types to track (which is one of the main reasons they will never appear in MWO).

The advantages of HLs and ATMs are very small and very specific to limited situations. They're extremely conservatively designed, and competing with weapons that are usually better and always at least good.

Here is Plog again with the Savage Coyote from Field Manual Warden Clans, in a boobs-and-butt pose.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

TheParadigm posted:

Oh my god it has pistols. mech hands with mech pistols. WHY.

Those have been A Thing in Battletech since day 1.

As strangely geometrically abstract as he could be, I liked Duane Loose's stylings over Plog's.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Aug 26, 2016

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

I bought a HBK-4J because I wanted to try out LRMing and it turns out that LRMing sucks.

Any advice on making them suck less?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Devorum posted:

I bought a HBK-4J because I wanted to try out LRMing and it turns out that LRMing sucks.

No, you have correctly divined the secret of LRMs.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Devorum posted:

Are you using them as a Medium Range (400-600-ish) weapon while acquiring your own locks?
If no, do that.
If yes, that's it. That's as good as LRM's get.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

EponymousMrYar posted:

Are you using them as a Medium Range (400-600-ish) weapon while acquiring your own locks?
If no, do that.

You can TRY to hang out just behind the assaults, but the random damage you do won't be worth it.

Your other best bet is to hope people don't figure out where you're shooting them from. :derp:

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

EponymousMrYar posted:

If no, do that.

I do this with my timberwolf when its time to be a dirty lrm user. Speaking of timberwolves this mech feels underwhelming compared to my cheetah or stormcrow. It doesn't dish out the damage or take the hits. Im terrible at this game but i can still average ~300-400 damage a round as non-timberwolves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Azuth0667 posted:

I do this with my timberwolf when its time to be a dirty lrm user. Speaking of timberwolves this mech feels underwhelming compared to my cheetah or stormcrow. It doesn't dish out the damage or take the hits. Im terrible at this game but i can still average ~300-400 damage a round as non-timberwolves.

Using LRM's on it is probably why. I tried the LRM Timber Wolf and got really freaking bored of it rather quickly. Swapped it to 7 MPLs and am having tons of fun with it. It does dish out damage and it does take hits better than the Stormcrow, but it has a similar playstyle. You just have more wiggle room by being 20 tons heavier.

• Locked thread