Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
I thought that was an AI actually, especially with the insane army composition with all the vet upgrades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Triskelli posted:

Here's a video demonstration of how effective Slayers and Gyrobombers can be with a little micro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHT6L574-W8

Never seen this guy before, but his tutorial on getting the debug camera to work in-game fixes my complaint about the camera zoom during battles.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Yeah, that only worked because his opponent was an utter moron. Sure, gyrobomber micro will work if he sends two units at a time up a hill and charges his cav into the front of dwarf line.

ClassicFascist
Jul 8, 2011
Yeah and who brings only 5 units of infantry as bretonnia? And not bringing Leon is a pretty bad move.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Whenever I see a Bretonnia vs Dwarf battle, I always wonder why they don't take advantage of the fact that their artillery can fire on a high trajectory and dwarven cannons can't.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Fangz posted:

Whenever I see a Bretonnia vs Dwarf battle, I always wonder why they don't take advantage of the fact that their artillery can fire on a high trajectory and dwarven cannons can't.

Most maps don't have the kind of terrain that can shield an army while trebs force dwarfs to hoof it all the way.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I've never played a TW game, and while Warhammer isn't my primary interest (I'm a WH40K guy) the chat thread thought I might like this. Any good videos or demos or something I can watch to see if I might like it before I spend the dosh?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Ciaphas posted:

I've never played a TW game, and while Warhammer isn't my primary interest (I'm a WH40K guy) the chat thread thought I might like this. Any good videos or demos or something I can watch to see if I might like it before I spend the dosh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUjtF0YYZ1c

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.

Ciaphas posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIU6BmuHtI0

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Definitely impressive spectacles and all but I more wondered about the gameplay :v:

It looks fun but my problem is that I've historically been hopeless at all forms of strategy or tactics, sometimes to the point of total frustration

Guess I'll go dootle around on youtube after work

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Ciaphas posted:

Definitely impressive spectacles and all but I more wondered about the gameplay :v:

It looks fun but my problem is that I've historically been hopeless at all forms of strategy or tactics, sometimes to the point of total frustration

Guess I'll go dootle around on youtube after work

A bunch of people did let's plays for the game around release (and after) - this guy isn't too bad and shows off a good amount of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omHbsCKPj9Y

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Any idea where we're at for the goon tournament?

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

Any idea where we're at for the goon tournament?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3779330&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=176#post463266988

Think we're waiting on Yukitsu's computer to get fixed so they can finish their round:

ClassicFascist posted:

So Yukitsu's desktop is kaputt and in the shop for at least a week. His laptop can *barely* run Warhammer, so we were thinking we'd wait until his PC comes back from the shop if that's cool with you Mukip.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Is it ever explained why Vlad looks like he's halfway turning into a vargheist? I get that he's really old, without going into potential spoilers. Also, I wonder if they'll try and reconcile Mannfred and Vlad in the same campaign, what with the former supposed to be subordinate to the latter.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Trujillo posted:

VC already got the blood knights, now 2 more units and 2 more lords.

Where is Krell? I know there's a mod but Kemmler talks about him so much you'd think they were going to add him.
Giving the ability to summon a Wight King to Kemmler instead of Ghorst would make sense here.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

I watch this guy a lot. He's not super-level player, but he's chill and explains the game a lot. Keep in mind that if you do campaign, there's a grand strategy part of these games and an RTS part, so watch some campaign stuff and decide if it's for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?HeirofCarthage?playlists

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Aurubin posted:

Is it ever explained why Vlad looks like he's halfway turning into a vargheist? I get that he's really old, without going into potential spoilers. Also, I wonder if they'll try and reconcile Mannfred and Vlad in the same campaign, what with the former supposed to be subordinate to the latter.

Yeah, I was hoping he'd be a goddamn dracula.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Aurubin posted:

In earlier editions vampires had a more classic aesthetic and mostly didn't wear armour, but GW updated their look and said that vampires didn't bother to conceal their forms during battles or show up wearing evening dresses. They can appear more normal if they like. Would be cool if Vlad/Mannfred had a different look in the diplomacy screen vs battles.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

This game has pretty straightforward strategy and tactics. Diplomacy and the campaign map are very basic and easy to use, and in-battle every unit has 3-4 little blurbs describing what it does best at all times, so even if you don't feel like memorizing its stats you can just look at the blurbs and go 'oh, this guy has anti-large, i'll send him at the cavalry' or 'oh, this guy causes terror, ill send him into this blob of weak enemy infantry'

Combine that with everything sticking out from everything else in a way that makes it immediately apparent what they do - the big armored guys with halberds, surprise, have tons of armor and shred enemy cavalry, the tiny little goblins on wolves are very fast but don't do much damage - and you get something that's pretty easy to read at a glance. Positioning and timing your attacks is still important, but you aren't going to be confused about what a unit does or how to counter it.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Aurubin posted:

I mean he died.

And I don't just mean like ha ha vampire. He died as a Vampire, and was force resurrected by Manfred/Nagash for the End Times. This game is set in a psuedo End Times, so this isn't exactly Vlad at his best.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Plan Z posted:

I watch this guy a lot. He's not super-level player, but he's chill and explains the game a lot. Keep in mind that if you do campaign, there's a grand strategy part of these games and an RTS part, so watch some campaign stuff and decide if it's for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?HeirofCarthage?playlists

Bad link :v: But thanks, I see the user name.

And thanks to the rest of you too. I guess I'll give this a go.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

God, if that image is real Vlad is possibly even more ridiculous than he would have been by giving everything under his command vanguard deployment. God drat. Vladdy the Daddy or bust, bitches.

Meanwhile, for RoR of other races: http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Long_Drong%27s_Slayer_Pirates

SLAYER. PIRATES. loving Slayer pirates.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

As far as the vampires looking like withered monsters:

Basically, the vamps you see in the event pop-ups are what they look like when they're making the effort. The ones you see in game are what they look like when they're not.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Endorph posted:

This game has pretty straightforward strategy and tactics. Diplomacy and the campaign map are very basic and easy to use, and in-battle every unit has 3-4 little blurbs describing what it does best at all times, so even if you don't feel like memorizing its stats you can just look at the blurbs and go 'oh, this guy has anti-large, i'll send him at the cavalry' or 'oh, this guy causes terror, ill send him into this blob of weak enemy infantry'

Combine that with everything sticking out from everything else in a way that makes it immediately apparent what they do - the big armored guys with halberds, surprise, have tons of armor and shred enemy cavalry, the tiny little goblins on wolves are very fast but don't do much damage - and you get something that's pretty easy to read at a glance. Positioning and timing your attacks is still important, but you aren't going to be confused about what a unit does or how to counter it.

I really hope the next historical TW tones down the campaign map in favor of the battles. Shogun 2 and Rome 2 balanced it well, but loving Attila had me putting like 45 minutes into some turns late-game and really turned me off.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
The main campaign map feature I want is the ability to turn off certain AI requests. Like, just auto-reject or don't even send stuff I put on a "don't care, never will" list. No, I will not cancel my military alliance for free. Stop asking every other turn.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
CA are being so faithful to the tabletop game they're even incorporating the ridiculous power creep!

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Something weird happened in my VC game: Kislev became my vassal then a few turns later I wiped out a wave of chaos invaders. When a new wave of invaders spawned my game glitched out and I couldn't proceed: at the beginning of the turn the diplomacy screen would appear with no text and I was unable to take any actions after exiting the diplomacy screen.

I read that this is a common problem and that one fix is to quickly declare war on chaos before the glitched diplomacy screen appears. I did that and it fixed the issue but now Kislev is not my vassal and I am at war with them :confused:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Are any of the factions especially friendly to a TW novice or shall I just do what I want to do and WAAAAAAAGH (that's a fantasy orc thing still right)

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Ciaphas posted:

Are any of the factions especially friendly to a TW novice or shall I just do what I want to do and WAAAAAAAGH (that's a fantasy orc thing still right)

It is, but I think Dorfs are the suggested start since you can make large, tough as nail gun lines.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

SlyFrog posted:

How do I get "more" out of this game?

Like, I really enjoy it, but I confess that in the tactical battles (playing as the Empire), things seem to always devolve into a pretty rote pattern - my artillery and missile fire tries to maul the opponent while they close, then the infantry lines (mixed with some AI cavalry on their part) kind of all smushes together and makes clanging sounds, while cavalry kind of muddles around on the flanks and tries to go after anything soft that isn't guarded or near something with spears.

I mean, it's okay and all, but in particular the infantry seems too chaotic to really assign anything intelligently. It pretty much always just devolves into this muddle in the middle. Even for spellcasting, I'm basically just picking a random muddle of infantry to cast buffs and debuffs on. Same thing with the leadership abilities, charge shock bonuses, etc. I more or less just click them whenever they're up, because for most of the battle there really isn't charging, it's just a big clump of infantry stuck together.

Are you using Ctrl + G to group and holding ALT + right click and drag to move? are you using ALT + RIGHT CLICK to attack? It sounds like you're just doing a giant cluster of units mashed together?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Ciaphas posted:

Vampire Counts and Dwarfs are good for beginners, depending on if you don't want to worry about micro'ing ranged or cavalry respectively.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Ciaphas posted:

I hated the greenskins campaign the most so far. Only have Beastmen and Chaos left to complete.

I started with Dwarves, they are really solid and have excellent base units and no calvary or other weird units to micro manage. Once you get a feel for the controls and battles and feel comfortable, you're pretty much onto the next one.. which is pretty mcuh greenskins and using micro to charge boar big un's and such.

Also, Watch PARTYELITE total war videos on youtube for this game.. seriously.. the controls section will make your life SOOOO much better.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Vlad should get a quest chain where he beats up Mannfred for the title of Emperor of All Draculas.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
poo poo, thought I had something there but apparently not: despite what you may think, units in a scattered formation like Slayers will still block shots from direct fire units, so while screening you won't be able damage the enemy. Fortunately, they will still murder cavalry units that engage them even while dying, they will never rout, the AI will charge them willingly since they have no charge defence, and they're relatively cheap and easy to replace.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Also, Watch PARTYELITE total war videos on youtube for this game.. seriously.. the controls section will make your life SOOOO much better.

I'll watch them but oh my god he keeps saying "calvary" instead of "cavalry" and it makes me want to claw out my ear canals

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Funky Valentine posted:

Vlad should get a quest chain where he beats up Mannfred for the title of Emperor of All Draculas.

His intro battle should be Vlad just stomping in and beating up each type of hero and lord, and then finally stomping all over Mannfred at the end.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Isnt Vlad the dracula thats actually pretty chill and not that bad a ruler?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Agean90 posted:

I mean, he's still a goddamn vampire and worse; he's still Imperial nobility.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Agean90 posted:

He has that reputation, but bear in mind he was around during the War of the Three Emperors, when literally every nobleman was in full on gently caress the poor mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

i mean yeah he literally leaches off the peasants, but when you think about it that just makes him more honest than the other nobles

• Locked thread