Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

AMorePerfctGoonion posted:

I'm hoping that as the election draws near and people actually seriously consider what a Trump presidency would mean as a harsh reality rather than a hypothetical concept the swing voters will abandon him like crazed rats off a sinking ship. But who knows? This election is pretty much unique as elections get. Nobody even knows what the Republican party will look like after November. If it didn't matter so much I'd be enjoying the hell out of this but instead I'm absolutely loving terrified.

It's sometimes hard to remember, but people like us are the weird outlines of society, paying intense attention to politics and closely following the race from start to finish. The vast, vast majority of people who will vote in November at best catch the local news a couple times a week. The campaign occasionally intrudes on their normal routine, and they get annoyed. They're the type of people who get their sample ballot and then go asking around for a voting guide, because they don't know anything about these people. Hell, they probably don't even know who the incumbent is. They are a large part of the reason why neither party is going to put up a candidate for President that pulls less than 35/40% of the vote. They vaguely made up their mind about a party years ago and now they view the ballot through that prism.

However, Trump has been very successful at two things. First, he's been a national punchline for decades. Second, he's been very good at getting his message of hate and idiocy to the common man. As we get closer and closer to the election, more and more people tune in out of civic duty and they are being greeted with an orange explosion of hate and buffoonery. They don't trust Clinton, but they overwhelmingly agree that Trump is incompetent and unfit for office. The closer we get, the more people who aren't part of the cult of Trump will decide to vote Clinton or stay home. Trump's final coalition of voters is going to consist of racists, crazy people, reluctant Republicans in it for the Supreme Court and sundry positions/policies, disconnected people voting R out of habit, and a few accelerationists/bitter Berners who never actually understood Bernie's message to start with.

Trump's going to lose but he has changed the rules of politics in America by openly race-baiting, scapegoating immigrants and Muslims and considering blatantly unconstitutional measures such as trying citizens before military tribunals. Although the media has become, finally, openly anti-Trump it's utterly failed to respond correctly to Trump's candidacy by maintaining this false equivalence between the Clinton foundation and the email scandals and Trump's almost uncountable violations of American political traditions, basic honesty and consistency and our national identity as a nation of immigrants bound by the Constitution. All the minitrumps that are emerging in the rank and file of the Republican Party and Governor LePage's recent Trumpish racist outbursts suggest that he's been at least somewhat successful at moving the "Overton window" towards a new standard of openly racist, nativist, irredentist discourse. Although he has successful sabotaged any prospect of a Republican president for the next decade, will the nation be able to go back to what it was before the Trump candidacy after November or will a sinister new force emerge?

That's not changing the rules. Trump is using the old strategy of Wallace and the Dixiecrats. It's a strategy that was abandoned for the dog whistles and implied racial insinuations we're familiar with because it didn't even fly in the 1960s. The Republicans failed to transition from the Southern Strategy to a more inclusive brand and now they're reaping what they've sown. The racists will be emboldened until November when they're crushed beneath Hillary's heel. Then they'll continue dying off, leaving fewer and fewer of their kind in the electoral pool. Remember that the only demographic that Trump is actually winning are AARP white dudes, and every time you go forward 4 years that pool of people significantly reduces itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

I'm old and decrepit enough to remember the dreaded hanging chads of 2000

Joribaman is some poo poo.

Still.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/769526017887080449

Jeez.

EDITED:

Trump deleted the original because he misspelled Dwyane Wade, added the corrected and reposted version:

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/769571710924263424

GalacticAcid fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Aug 27, 2016

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

This reads like a threat.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Gyges posted:

It's sometimes hard to remember, but people like us are the weird outlines of society, paying intense attention to politics and closely following the race from start to finish. The vast, vast majority of people who will vote in November at best catch the local news a couple times a week. The campaign occasionally intrudes on their normal routine, and they get annoyed. They're the type of people who get their sample ballot and then go asking around for a voting guide, because they don't know anything about these people. Hell, they probably don't even know who the incumbent is. They are a large part of the reason why neither party is going to put up a candidate for President that pulls less than 35/40% of the vote. They vaguely made up their mind about a party years ago and now they view the ballot through that prism.

I just want to point out that being a "party line voter" works most of the time rather well. Like if you don't have hours/week to keep up with politics, looking and saying "these guys roughly share my values and really follow this stuff so I'll vote for whoever they're backing". Like in a year that's not 2016, you can reliably count on your party's nominating process to deliver a general election candidate who is fairly reasonable and who sees the world the way you do. Like we're all drunkenly riding this ridiculously rollercoaster of emotion and they're skipping all that effort and thinking to essentially the same result.

Additionally, to a greater or lesser extent we all do this. Like if not on actual votes, then on issues. For the 99% of us who aren't experts in public policy field X, we're leaning heavily on "this policy came from Democrats, so it's probably good" since it's not like we're going to read a thousand-page bill and do weeks of economic analysis or whatever.

Not sure why I'm playing Devil's Advocate to low-info voters when I'm about to go knock on their doors and try to talk them into voting for Clinton, but whatever.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

The October Surprise will be Trump gunning down people in Times Square, shouting 'SEE! YOU WILL ALL VOTE FOR ME NOW!'

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Yinlock posted:

Yeah but that's the thing, it hasn't worked. He's being openly terrible in every way and it's been shown definitively that that is a complete failure. The reason why Trumpish outbursts are on the rise is because the extreme right sees the writing on the wall and the mask of civility is starting to crack. They're not doing it because the discourse has shifted towards them, they're doing it because it's shifting away and it's making them panic.

Good thing republicans aren't known for repeatedly doing things that don't work.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

A tweet for every black person who dies, celebrating how their death vindicates Trump. Now that's a winning plan!

Jackson Taus posted:

I just want to point out that being a "party line voter" works most of the time rather well. Like if you don't have hours/week to keep up with politics, looking and saying "these guys roughly share my values and really follow this stuff so I'll vote for whoever they're backing". Like in a year that's not 2016, you can reliably count on your party's nominating process to deliver a general election candidate who is fairly reasonable and who sees the world the way you do. Like we're all drunkenly riding this ridiculously rollercoaster of emotion and they're skipping all that effort and thinking to essentially the same result.

Additionally, to a greater or lesser extent we all do this. Like if not on actual votes, then on issues. For the 99% of us who aren't experts in public policy field X, we're leaning heavily on "this policy came from Democrats, so it's probably good" since it's not like we're going to read a thousand-page bill and do weeks of economic analysis or whatever.

Not sure why I'm playing Devil's Advocate to low-info voters when I'm about to go knock on their doors and try to talk them into voting for Clinton, but whatever.

It's not just 2016. Every year there's going to be a few weirdos running for a party that they are at odds with in some manner. In aggregate and ignoring localities, it's certainly a working position if you agree with a party. The thing is that most people make up their mind about a party in their teens/twenties and stick with it until jolted out for some reason, which means that they're inevitably voting straight ticket for a party they no longer necessarily agree with.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

WampaLord posted:

This reads like a threat.

Yeah, not hard to read a silent "Or else" at the end of that tweet.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Oh my god he misspelled Dwyane

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

That'll teach Dwayne Wade.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

:lol: This reads like a threat even if it's not intentional.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

TheScott2K posted:

That'll teach Dwayne Wade.

Next he's going to cite Kevin Durant signing with the Warriors as evidence that black people will vote for him.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

hcreight posted:

Next he's going to cite Kevin Durant signing with the Warriors as evidence that black people will vote for him.

'Waaarrriors *clink clink* come out and voooote!'

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Phone posted:

Good thing republicans aren't known for repeatedly doing things that don't work.

Actually it's worked out pretty well for them until recently.

Them personally I mean, because holy poo poo it's been bad for everyone else.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I wasn't challenging your resilience but your empathy towards PTSD sufferers. Anyway, the University of Chicago didn't just "say" something, it specifically withheld support for its own teachers giving trigger warnings. Rather than letting the lecturers who are familiar with the material and their students decide whether or not warnings are appropriate, the University has overridden them in a way that is actually anti-academic freedom. Here is the letter itself that started this whole shitstorm:

Unless that idea happens to be, for example, forewarning a victim of Catholic sexual abuse before a lecture on the Boston Globe's spotlight investigation. I still don't understand how trigger warnings hurt anyone or impinge on freedom of speech. They're merely warnings like film ratings. Anyone who isn't happy about them can just ignore them and move on with their lives rather than preoccupying themselves with such a trivial issue.

Rich pot kettle attack from a gentrified "safe space" for clueless white kids in mostly black South Chicago

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Gyges posted:

It's not just 2016. Every year there's going to be a few weirdos running for a party that they are at odds with in some manner. In aggregate and ignoring localities, it's certainly a working position if you agree with a party. The thing is that most people make up their mind about a party in their teens/twenties and stick with it until jolted out for some reason, which means that they're inevitably voting straight ticket for a party they no longer necessarily agree with.

Even at the local level it usually works if your local party is competent. You get the occasional Alvin Greene or whatever but those are generally not in winnable seats. Like I was criticizing things in VA-02 in terms of low quality candidate, but there's nothing WRONG with their candidate in terms of "if you elect her she'll embarrass you", it's just that she's less likely to win the race.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Yinlock posted:

That's why the PPACA has been repealed and Hillary Clinton is behind bars.

(I do know what you're getting at, though)

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Yinlock posted:

Until recently meaning 2012.
Since then its a down hill losing sad fart.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
See, you or I might feel reluctant to use an innocent woman's senseless death for personal gain...

Is it common courtesy to ask permission from family members before using a person like that? This is pretty morbid, especially since they probably hated him beforehand.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

At least he isn't appreciating any congrats

Normal people dont react to senseless tragedy with birdman.gif

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/769549775385624576
https://twitter.com/josemedinajr/status/769552292957851648

e:
https://twitter.com/KyleKoster/status/769543546017812480
Ok, he's gotten my respect.

iospace fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Aug 27, 2016

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I hope Melo or Lebron see that tweet. They're really close with Wade.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
The highlight of that is this:

https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/769498231243993088

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

So yeah, this is bad even for him.

Well this time he so heinously insulted America by refusing to indulge in a meaningless gesture.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The fact that the 49ers are completely chill with him sitting (or well, they didn't know why at the time, so maybe not anymore), makes me happy :unsmith:

Of course, the right is going to have a shitfit over this because ATHLETES ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO HAVE POLITICAL OPINIONS.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Jackson Taus posted:

Even at the local level it usually works if your local party is competent. You get the occasional Alvin Greene or whatever but those are generally not in winnable seats. Like I was criticizing things in VA-02 in terms of low quality candidate, but there's nothing WRONG with their candidate in terms of "if you elect her she'll embarrass you", it's just that she's less likely to win the race.

The problem is that your local [member of party] is going to quite often be very different from [national party]. For instance a Seattle Democrat is going to be a very different candidate than a Jacksonville Democrat. Similarly a Jacksonville Republican and a Seattle Republican are going to be worlds apart on many issues. On a national level it's a fine strategy for Congress since more party members in Congress means that, generally, there's a better chance of the national party's policies getting through. Locally and at a state level it's much more of a crap shoot if you're looking to get a party's national priorities implemented on the state/local level.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

iospace posted:

The fact that the 49ers are completely chill with him sitting (or well, they didn't know why at the time, so maybe not anymore), makes me happy :unsmith:

Nah they even released a statement saying "yo it's totally chill to stand or not stand, it's called freedom".

Which, if you know about the owner, is surprisingly competent.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Every footballer should have several flag pins, and when they are not in play should be standing on the side line saluting the flag.

AMorePerfctGoonion
Aug 11, 2016

by exmarx

It's funny how all these self-appointed ""patriots are crucifying the guy on Twitter for daring to exercise his first Amendment right. White people in this country can't stand racism or bigotry being discussed publicly. If it really isn't an issue after all why this incredible counter reaction? Methinks the lady doth protest too much.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/ddisbored/status/769558159694241792

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

iospace posted:

Of course, the right is going to have a shitfit over this because ATHLETES ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO HAVE POLITICAL OPINIONS.

KAPERDICK IF U OR ANYONE ELSE DOES NOT LIKE THE WAY U R TREATED IN THE USA UR FREE TO MOVE OUT OF THE COUNTRY #GETTHEFUCKOUTSHEREAHOLE

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
He's getting tee'd up so Hillary can Sista Souljah him.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
If you really wanted to see dumb people's heads explode you'd need a pure whitebread Tebow-type evangelical pull a stunt like that using nothing but religious arguments.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

comes along bort posted:

If you really wanted to see dumb people's heads explode you'd need a pure whitebread Tebow-type evangelical pull a stunt like that using nothing but religious arguments.

Right, because Tebow is allowed to have them because he's a PURE CHRISTIAN GOOD BOY, which would make the left explode.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I hope this rustles all the jimmies

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
In our outrage culture it's a simple equation: My side does it=good and their side does it=bad.

It's no more complex than that.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Lol @LukeOneil47 on Twitter is currently just posting side-by-side screenshots of the same people calling Kaepernick a thug and mourning Muhammad Ali.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

iospace posted:

Well duh, athletes are just supposed to Do Sports Good and attribute all of their accomplishments to God(because the omnipotent one is super-invested in The Sports)

He does seem like a good dude, it's a pity he's going to be booted with the shallowest excuse imaginable.

EDIT: from the interview:

quote:

“I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses Black people and people of color,” Kaepernick told NFL Media in an exclusive interview after the game against Green Bay. “To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder.”

how dare he imply that innocent people being murdered is more important than football, the sport Jesus personally endorses

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Aug 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

iospace posted:

Right, because Tebow is allowed to have them because he's a PURE CHRISTIAN GOOD BOY, which would make the left explode.

No I mean refuse to stand for the anthem to protest the treatment of minorities.

• Locked thread