Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Barlow posted:

Because it would lead to pretty obvious government establishment of religion for the state to define who could be a church attender or member. It's the same reason that ministerial hiring is not subject to anti-discrimination laws and you can't sue a Catholic Church for not hiring a women.

Do churches need to follow the same rules as other non-profits? Honestly curious here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AMorePerfctGoonion
Aug 11, 2016

by exmarx
War Machine has launched a full scale asault on Trump

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
Church culture can be welcoming or not welcoming to certain groups without doing anything illegal.

The problem isn't that some mostly white churches bar minorities from going, but whether or not their environment is one minorities want to keep worshipping in.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Looks like a lot of people got triggered

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/icecube/status/769612952609579008

AMorePerfctGoonion
Aug 11, 2016

by exmarx
How are churches distinguished from other organizations, constitutionally speaking? Scientology fought long and hard for its tax exempt status which it only managed to get by fighting dirty with the IRS. The Establishment Clause seems anachronistic to me, since it originated in a time in which all deeply held philosophical and moral convictions where of a spiritual and religious nature. These days people can have strong beliefs of a non-religious variety and the EC has led to ridiculous situations like prisoners being required to be given Kosher and Halal food if they are Jewish or Muslim but not vegetarian food if they are against the consumption of meat on ethical grounds.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Come on Donald. Do everything in your power to convince him otherwise. Your ego demands this. Also you are reading this thread, since it contains your name.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

AMorePerfctGoonion posted:

How are churches distinguished from other organizations, constitutionally speaking? Scientology fought long and hard for its tax exempt status which it only managed to get by fighting dirty with the IRS. The Establishment Clause seems anachronistic to me, since it originated in a time in which all deeply held philosophical and moral convictions where of a spiritual and religious nature. These days people can have strong beliefs of a non-religious variety and the EC has led to ridiculous situations like prisoners being required to be given Kosher and Halal food if they are Jewish or Muslim but not vegetarian food if they are against the consumption of meat on ethical grounds.
I imagine there are a range of practical issues and compromises involved; you will generally only be a member of one religion at a time, and there would be at least some ability to confirm jailhouse conversions through the chaplain or equivalent, which would make logistics easier.

I imagine if a group of ethical vegetarians goes on a hunger strike while in coordination with national vegetarian groups, something might get done, too. :v:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

QuarkJets posted:

Do churches need to follow the same rules as other non-profits? Honestly curious here

There are like 30 different varieties of nonprofit under US code 501(c) with their own requirements, limitations, and benefits.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

AMorePerfctGoonion posted:

Honestly I'm not sure what you're really trying to ask - most of the stuff you talk about boils down to simple precedent from centuries of legal rulings, often extending back to before the US existed by being part of common law. You'd need a couple semesters of legal training to really have it explained.

As to tax-exempt status in particular, there are many different kinds of it and the rules on getting that can be found in various federal/state laws and the regulations the IRS et al issue, plus additionally in court cases.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

I will however star in anything if you throw money at me.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

happyhippy posted:

XXX: State of the Union is a masterpiece

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

happyhippy posted:

And?

Look if you throw enough money at me you might be able to convince me to do p much anything.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

happyhippy posted:

Still waiting for my Nick Cage, Ice Cube buddy cop movie.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

happyhippy posted:

So? What films SHOULD he be taking, since you object to how this man makes his money?

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011

SedanChair posted:

As crazy as this election is, I didn't see Kaepernick doing something of value.

Neither have 49ers fans since the 2013 season ended.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Gyges posted:

Even within white Southern Baptist churches there's a variety of opinions. This is because Southern Baptist Convention members pride themselves on escalating petty and doctrinal arguments within an individual congregation to the point where the congregation splits and suddenly there's a new Baptist Church in town that really hates the one down the street. Then they grow a little, and the cycle repeats itself. That's why every town locality in the South has at least 4 Baptist churches no matter how low the population..

If you go back far enough the original split between Baptist and Southern Baptist, or Northern and Southern was over the issue of slavery. Specifically whether slave owners could serve as missionaries. The problem of slavery and Christianity split a few other protestant sects into slave/free factions as well. It's not anything new, but many Southern forms of Christianity have their roots as splinter sects rooted in slavery and for many churches that culture of racism never really disappeared. It only diminished. Splitting the church over politics or interpretations of the bible is nothing new, big or small. Christianity is amazingly fractious when you look at it closely enough. Some days I'm surprised that they're not still killing one another in sectarian violence for all of the rhetoric they spout.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Seems I offended some CSI fans.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
What's the usual delay of tracking opinions in polls? If Trump says something worse than ever before, how many days would it take to see a dip in his ratings? (If we'd assume anyone who decided to vote for him could still change their mind.)

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

St. Dogbert posted:

Neither have 49ers fans since the 2013 season ended.

:hawksin:

Dr Cheeto posted:

Are We There Yet is a masterpiece

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Dr Cheeto posted:

XXX: State of the Union is a masterpiece

Word. They should make a third one and put Ice Cube, Vin Diesel, and Jason Statham in it. It would be glorious. :allears:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
There is a third one, but just Vin Diesel

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Trump just used his DWade tweet in the live speech he just gave. What a piece of poo poo. Remember that Wade was one of the 4 athletes who spoke at the ESPYs against institutional racisism. I hope he calls out Trump and Lebron/Melo join him.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

greatn posted:

There is a third one, but just Vin Diesel

:stare: it has Jet Li too. Should I be hype or afraid? How do I react to such news?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

iospace posted:

Saves money /and/ helps the unfortunate? Only a braindead idiot would be opposed to that.

Namely idiots who say "PULL YOURSELF UP BY YOUR OWN BOOTSTRAPS", but I digress.

But we'd end up rewarding them for losing everything and all the lessers would just stop working if we didn't constantly shame them for failing to be rich.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

happyhippy posted:

Seems I offended some CSI fans.

What does Ice Cube have to do with CSI?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Fluffdaddy posted:

What does Ice Cube have to do with CSI?

all black people look alike

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

mandatory lesbian posted:

all black people look alike

What's sad is he is either mistaking Ice-T, who is on SVU, or LL Cool J, who is on CSI.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
You can't have iced tea without ice cubes

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/_Symonds_/status/769642443469881344

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Lightning Knight posted:

:stare: it has Jet Li too. Should I be hype or afraid? How do I react to such news?

It seems like it'll have some self-awareness of its parodies, though not nearly to the extent of something like The Expendables.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Trump just can't stop talking about the blacks, yet he's not learning how to not talk *at* them. Hillary must've really gotten under his skin.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Sir Tonk posted:

Trump just can't stop talking about the blacks, yet he's not learning how to not talk *at* them. Hillary must've really gotten under his skin.
The only thing Trump's ever let go were his employees and waistline.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
So I've seen the same Trump ad several times on SA. Now I just saw my first Gary Johnson ad. :v:

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Sir Tonk posted:

You can't have iced tea without ice cubes

you can put sweet tea in the fridge :cmon:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

you can put sweet tea in the fridge :cmon:

That ain't iced tea.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

The Shortest Path posted:

That ain't iced tea.

Correct, it's a lasagna.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I know Johnson is throwing a few million in ads around the battleground states. Didn't Trump already give up on ads? Pretty funny if the libertarian candidate is outspending the Republican.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

FuzzySlippers posted:

Didn't Trump already give up on ads?

Can't give up if you never tried in the first place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

FuzzySlippers posted:

Didn't Trump already give up on ads?

Giving up would require him to have begun running ads