Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Anoia posted:

Had they abandoned raids and focused on the one good thing they had going- housing- they might have had a chance.

Hell, even more small group content that gives housing stuff coulda been enough.

Alas, they're gonna die on this hill.

?

Housing had significant improvements post F2P, they added about 1000 "Raw building block" style things that let people build a bit more freely, along with terrain objects so people could build hills and mountains and the like. They also increased the object caps, and the plot size by about 33%. If you take a look at some of the Pre F2P "Best houses" and compared them to post, the stuff we had at release ends up looking kinda pathetic.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Aug 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Asimo posted:

Another game destined for greatness.

Look, NCsoft. You know it, we know it. Just put this money towards Lineage 3, like you wanted to all along.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Imagine if MXM shtick is characters from dead failed online games, that's original.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Not even 'hardcore' small group content would have saved them since Legion is introducing a Mythic+ keystone system (think Diablo 3) to their 5mans to give increasing levels of difficulty past Normal/Heroic/Mythic.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Schubalts posted:

Look, NCsoft. You know it, we know it. Just put this money towards Lineage 3, like you wanted to all along.

If they play their cards right they could attract a playerbase up to 3% of the size of Lineage 1's!

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Rhymenoserous posted:

?

Housing had significant improvements post F2P, they added about 1000 "Raw building block" style things that let people build a bit more freely, along with terrain objects so people could build hills and mountains and the like. They also increased the object caps, and the plot size by about 33%. If you take a look at some of the Pre F2P "Best houses" and compared them to post, the stuff we had at release ends up looking kinda pathetic.

Oh, huh. I'm going off what I see off social media and people are still complaining you can't do enough with housing.

Though I guess if you never left your plot in an effort to build your own experience, you'd long for pie in the sky improvements, too.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

If they play their cards right they could attract a playerbase up to 3% of the size of Lineage 1's!

After dropping untold years into L2, i'd play L3 :/ at least for a try.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Schubalts posted:

Lineage 3 is a online diablo clone. They've given up trying to have people migrate to a new lineage like game since lineage 1 is such a powerhouse.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

gently caress that poo poo just revive Project HON. Thats all I want NCsoft...

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I wonder how many people were playing city of heroes when it was axed?

year199X
Oct 9, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I was told that COH was at least still very profitable when they axed it. Guess they really wanted the Wildstar monies.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

year199X posted:

I was told that COH was at least still very profitable when they axed it. Guess they really wanted the Wildstar monies.

Yeah, CoX was profitable and paying for itself, it just wasn't doing gangbusters like ANet expected from Lineage/Guild Wars/ Ect. I came into CoX real late in it's life, but I actually really liked it for what it was. My main at the time was a Demon Summoning / Darkness mastermind which, judging by what I could pick up at the time probably wasn't an ideal skill configuration. Still kind of fun though, I tried my best to make him look like the Smoking Guy from The X Files.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
It was stable, and the dev team was both working on new toys for players and fixing the mess Cryptic left, but it wasn't a spectacular stable. Only a couple of NA servers had particularly high populations, and at least one was a ghost town. There were a lot of die-hard players, and going two-tier F2P was netting them a modest profit, but they weren't attracting huge numbers and NCSoft already had a history of axing games developed in north america with little provocation.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Wasn't making enough profit to keep running obviously.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
as opposed to wildstar,

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

30.5 Days posted:

as opposed to wildstar,

Maybe they're reluctant to make this the 10th game they've shuttered, lest they get some kind of bad reputation :haw:

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Anoia posted:

Maybe they're reluctant to make this the 10th game they've shuttered, lest they get some kind of bad reputation :haw:

They get a free tote bag if they shutter ten games that have run at least three years.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.

jabro posted:

Wasn't making enough profit to keep running obviously.

As I understand it, City of Heroes was profitable but Paragon Studios wasn't, cause they were working on new games as well. While I doubt that was the sole reason for shutting them down outright rather than just cancelling one or more of the new games, it certainly wouldn't have helped.

Carbine's lucky they only have the one game, which must still somehow be turning a profit.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Bieeardo posted:

It was stable, and the dev team was both working on new toys for players and fixing the mess Cryptic left, but it wasn't a spectacular stable. Only a couple of NA servers had particularly high populations, and at least one was a ghost town. There were a lot of die-hard players, and going two-tier F2P was netting them a modest profit, but they weren't attracting huge numbers and NCSoft already had a history of axing games developed in north america with little provocation.

I feel bad for anyone trying to fix code Cryptic's devs worked on.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

General Maximus posted:

As I understand it, City of Heroes was profitable but Paragon Studios wasn't, cause they were working on new games as well. While I doubt that was the sole reason for shutting them down outright rather than just cancelling one or more of the new games, it certainly wouldn't have helped.
As much as the COH fans talk up the game having a devoted fanbase and all, it was really kind of in slow decline too. Like sure it was making money, it was making a bit less every month and there wasn't really any big hope of it picking up. Even the sudden popularity of comic-themed movies and stuff probably wouldn't have helped any, judging from how DCUO and ChampO remained tepid.

The game probably could have gone for years in maintenance mode and not cost any goodwill to do so, but I don't entirely blame NCSoft for axing it either. Just the timing of and suddenness of it, really?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Unguided posted:

I feel bad for anyone trying to fix code Cryptic's devs worked on.

God, yes. Near the end, one of the devs was showing off tools they were in the midst of cobbling together-- stuff you'd assume would have been in the toolbox from the word 'go'. The supergroup-vs-supergroup base raiding went live only briefly, because the SG housing code was so squirrelly it threatened to wreck the database if you so much as looked at it funny.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah I have way less experience with COH but both ChampO and STO are absolute rolling disasters of code and I can only imagine how insane the backend for CoH must have been considering it came first.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Discussed upgrade, but at least they didn't write their own db from scratch for coh and spend the entire life of the game attempting to justify it to other developers.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I wonder how many people were playing city of heroes when it was axed?

IIRC, just under 150k. Game was still vastly profitable, but NCSoft didn't want to keep paying for Paragon Studios and was transitioning to concentrate on the SE Asian market.

The real dick move was backing out of selling the IP to a team of ex-Paragon staffers, just to sit on it and do nothing with no interest in using it.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Liquid Communism posted:

IIRC, just under 150k. Game was still vastly profitable, but NCSoft didn't want to keep paying for Paragon Studios and was transitioning to concentrate on the SE Asian market.

The real dick move was backing out of selling the IP to a team of ex-Paragon staffers, just to sit on it and do nothing with no interest in using it.

Why do companies do that? The ip will never be worth more than when you have a ready made mmo to sell with players still invested in it

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Wildstar: They killed CoX for this

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Liquid Communism posted:

IIRC, just under 150k.

Do you have any data to support this? Because I am really, really struggling to believe CoX had that many players. Or that NCSoft would be dumb enough to kill off a game with that many actual players. Even for an F2P game, 150,000 active players is a gold mine.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Looks like I was a bit low, it peaked in 2006 at ~180k.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Didn't they, like every mmo, shut down years after they stopped sharing data?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Liquid Communism posted:

Man, that WHO drop-off..

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Somebody made that graph and thought "ok, looks good enough". Holy poo poo.

this troper
Apr 4, 2011

:o

Liquid Communism posted:

Looks like the line for CoH stops around the time it went F2P, which is unfortunate since from what I hear it became much more lucrative once it did.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Those charts are completely meaningless and 90% made up, for the record. :ssh:

Some games are alright, where the company actively releases subscription info, but everything else is just pure conjecture. I mean just look at the "active accounts" for second life and you can see how bullshit that is.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Man, that WHO drop-off..
I still say WHO had a lot more brilliant ideas than people give it credit for, a lot of which were stolen later (open quests) or annoyingly forgotten (letting healers target an enemy and ally simultaneously and have skills that affected both), but holy crap the leveling curve was absolutely painful grind and it actually somehow got way less fun and balanced as you leveled up. Which was kind of a critical flaw in a PVP focused game.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I played it for a good three months and enjoyed it, but the game was brutally unfinished and like every online game players ended up doing the most optimal thing for progress, which turned out to be a huge zerg wandering from PVP objective to PV objective.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

They had no clue how to balance classes in WHO, so PVP was always a roller coaster ride where your preferred class would dominate, then get nerfed into oblivion, and then improve by sheer virtue of some other class getting hamstrung. The back and forth was almost comical.

Also comical was WoW IMMEDIATELY stole the achievement log from them.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Asimo posted:

Those charts are completely meaningless and 90% made up, for the record. :ssh:

Some games are alright, where the company actively releases subscription info, but everything else is just pure conjecture. I mean just look at the "active accounts" for second life and you can see how bullshit that is.

That and UO being listed with 100k SUBSCRIPTIONS in 2009 should immediately make you skeptical of that graph.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
WHO's auto-firing zone events were great... until you were the only one leveling an alt in Zone X. RIFT had similar issues (at least early on) with its invasions. Painting sections of the map to display where quest drops actually happened was a huge step forward for quality of life. Hunting for the precise region of Fuckwater Shallows where bears sometimes dropped quest-related flanks instead of generic asses was one of the worst elements of early MMO design.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

DeathSandwich posted:

Yeah, CoX was profitable and paying for itself, it just wasn't doing gangbusters like ANet expected from Lineage/Guild Wars/ Ect. I came into CoX real late in it's life, but I actually really liked it for what it was. My main at the time was a Demon Summoning / Darkness mastermind which, judging by what I could pick up at the time probably wasn't an ideal skill configuration. Still kind of fun though, I tried my best to make him look like the Smoking Guy from The X Files.

You're looking at it the wrong way.

CoH was in the green, yes, but Paragon studios was hemorrhaging money because they kept spending money on prototype MMOs that never panned out. NCsoft lost a lot of money on Paragon towards the end of CoX's lifecycle, and while they could have burned Paragon down to a skeleton maintenance crew and kept the lights on, who knows how profitable it would remain going forward. Paragon pissing off NCsoft with a bunch of burnt development money had far more to do with CoX closing than Wildstar ever did. The timing was just coincidental.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
WHO also had achievements that gave you stuff like little medals you could put on your character, it also had armor dyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

How many of you folks tried out the dead/dying MMOs on that spurious graph? What is it that you think caused them to die off?

• Locked thread