Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I don't think that's fair to say. There are too many variables that could account for Trump's general election unpopularity outside of poor ground game.

This is looking to be an excellent experiment in what the worst possible result for the GOP can be in an Presidential election year. No ground game, actively antagonizing nearly every demographic other than old white dudes, especially pissing off those most likely to be missed in polling, causing major segments of the party to be in open revolt, and spending absolutely no money on advertising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

PhazonLink posted:

Yeah, sweet tea is sugar water with tea flavoring. LOL at 400.x g of sugar/ mL. God no wonder The South has diabetes.

Oh gently caress you summoned Popular Thug Drink

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Inferior Third Season posted:

Though he's not the billionaire he claims to be, he has enough money to live comfortably for the next 15 or so years he's got left on this Earth. What he really wanted was respect from those who have slighted him or who hang around in more prestigious circles. And there, he has failed miserably, and the best part is I don't think he yet realizes how fast he'll be dumped by the few clingers-on that he currently has after he loses. He will be completely shut out from the only groups and individuals he cares about, and it will be glorious.
Nah, I think he's gonna start the Trump/Breitbart Network and take the remnants of the alt-right grift milkshake, which will probably keep him and his cronies afloat until he dies.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I don't know who Dwyane Wade is. Please compare him to a mid-90's basketball star.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
^^^

Gary Payton :shrug:

Gyges posted:

This is looking to be an excellent experiment in what the worst possible result for the GOP can be in an Presidential election year. No ground game, actively antagonizing nearly every demographic other than old white dudes, especially pissing off those most likely to be missed in polling, causing major segments of the party to be in open revolt, and spending absolutely no money on advertising.

This I buy. The only problem it presents is for 2020. Viscerally annihilating Trump doesn't really prove anything about Clinton's electability. I guess the upshot is that she has always polled more positively while in office than while running, so incumbency could give her a bigger boost than usual. Plus the 4 years of competent executive governance. That'll be nice too.

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

The Puppy Bowl posted:

^^^

This I buy. The only problem it presents is for 2020. Viscerally annihilating Trump doesn't really prove anything about Clinton's electability. I guess the upshot is that she has always polled more positively while in office than while running, so incumbency could give her a bigger boost than usual. Plus the 4 years of competent executive governance. That'll be nice too.

Lol if you think the loudest voices in the room will crow over a Democratic president's competence.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
What if Trump decides to run again in 2020? :getin:

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Dr Christmas posted:

President Hilldawg will breathe a sigh of relief.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Dr Christmas posted:

I can see him being a gadfly for Cruz/Rubio/Jeb! if they decide to try again. I can't really see the guy Romney himself tho.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Moxie posted:

Lol if you think the loudest voices in the room will crow over a Democratic president's competence.

No no no. I just meant that President Clinton part deux will be a nice side effect of Trump getting smashed into a pile of golden goo on November 8th.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Dr Christmas posted:

doubt it, he'll be busy running Trump TV.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

The Puppy Bowl posted:

^^^

Assuming she doesn't laugh manically as soon as Roberts swears her in and immediately prove every fear of the left true, she's probably going to be in a stronger position come 2020. Also assuming there isn't a financial meltdown.

Republicans are still going to have to run the Tea Party gauntlet in order to win the primary, with ol' Ted Cruz as the likely front runner. Meanwhile if she gets even a quarter of the Democratic Platform through the Democratic Party will be unified in pushing for her reelection, letting her coast through the primary cycle while the GOP repeatedly shoots itself in the foot with no alternative narrative for the press to dwell on.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Not to mention it's another 4 years for the republican constituency to die off and for Texas to turn a little bluer.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI9qYtpP4R0

♪ Blacks are too loving broke to be Republican ♪

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Even with the incumbency advantage and demographic advantage Democrats will have, I worry that an uncooperative House still controlled by the Republicans (and quite likely a Republican Senate again after 2018) plus just the weight of twelve years of one party being in the White House will make things a lot harder for Hillary in 2020. Assuming the Republicans don't run someone as disastrous as Trump again.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Only worry if they actually start to target and campaign towards Hispanics.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

The post 2016-GOP attempts to rebuild are going to be interesting. There's a lot of cracks in the party that they're going to have to fill.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Dexo posted:

Only worry if they actually start to target* and campaign towards** Hispanics.

*In the hopes of getting their votes.

** not in the military sense of the word campaign

With how the GOP rhetoric has been going you really need to specify.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

So are we expecting more deadlock if the House remains slightly republican majority during Clinton's first years?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Gyges posted:

It could be worse. Trump could have been running against a better candidate that wasn't smeared for 2 decades.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Grouchio posted:

So are we expecting more deadlock if the House remains slightly republican majority during Clinton's first years?

Pretty much. Temporary goodbye to the alt-right, horrible return of the salt-right.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Grouchio posted:

I think that goes without saying.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Shifty Pony posted:

*In the hopes of getting their votes.

** not in the military sense of the word campaign

With how the GOP rhetoric has been going you really need to specify.

I mean also worry if they do that, kinda hard for the Dems to win if the Republican's literally remove an entire minority demographic.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

TVarmy posted:

I honestly think Trump straight up doing nothing would make his poll numbers rise the most at this point. He can't not hurt his campaign, so just shut down the rallies and his Twitter. Let the media scrutinize Clinton without him hogging the spotlight any time the news gets half critical.

He can't. As a massive narcissist he must be the center of attention at all times.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Pakled posted:

Even with the incumbency advantage and demographic advantage Democrats will have, I worry that an uncooperative House still controlled by the Republicans (and quite likely a Republican Senate again after 2018) plus just the weight of twelve years of one party being in the White House will make things a lot harder for Hillary in 2020. Assuming the Republicans don't run someone as disastrous as Trump again.

I kind of have the same concern, but at the same time, where does the GOP go from here that can build them a winning Presidential strategy? They've tried regular old white guys and Obama murdered them both; they're not trying crazy old rear end in a top hat and at this stage we're just debating how bad Hilldawg's devastating chaos dunk will be. Another four years means the demographics shift a little more against the GOP. But they are constitutionally incapable of any meaningful shift towards policies that will actually win appreciable numbers of minority votes, because their base and the people who decide their candidates are all rabid white shitfuckers who chose Trump. They can have their base or they can try to court new groups, but few will be suckered by the latter path, and if it's actually a serious change in policies that really will sway lots of minorities, then they lose their base. Even if they don't vote Trumpsstaffel in 2020, a lot of them will stay home or at least fail to help GOTV efforts with money or work.

I mean, maybe they have an Obama-tier campaigner with incredible charisma waiting in the wings, but nobody could point to who that is today. And they'd have to have a good mind for policies as well, but the only people in the GOP who were trying to push serious, sane, widely-appealing policies in the primaries got crushed (Hi Jon Huntsman).

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Rubio had so much potential to be just that. If only he actually showed up to work and wasn't a robot.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Someone please post that garbage political cartoon where there was a football field and the Republican bench was full of gigantic strong players and the Democratic bench had a tiny cheerleader Hillary. It might have been a Ramirez.

It's funny as gently caress to think about how literally every single GOP primary candidate is now irreparably damaged.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Someone please post that garbage political cartoon where there was a football field and the Republican bench was full of gigantic strong players and the Democratic bench had a tiny cheerleader Hillary. It might have been a Ramirez.

It's funny as gently caress to think about how literally every single GOP primary candidate is now irreparably damaged.

It wasn't even Hillary, it was Biden lol

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It wasn't even Hillary, it was Biden lol

What the gently caress, really?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Dexo posted:

Rubio had so much potential to be just that. If only he actually showed up to work and wasn't a robot.

He's probably still their best shot, but if he gets beaten by Murphy his only lifeline is being the Governor of Florida for a couple months before declaring his candidacy for 2020. Maybe Sandoval in Nevada? The biggest obstacle is still going to be the GOP primary though. Ted Cruz is going to spend the next 4 years preparing to suck up the Trump leftovers and meld them with his crew, and there's going to be at least 1 Trump style wild card and 2 or 3 "reasonable, establishment" types.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mister Adequate posted:

I kind of have the same concern, but at the same time, where does the GOP go from here that can build them a winning Presidential strategy? They've tried regular old white guys and Obama murdered them both; they're not trying crazy old rear end in a top hat and at this stage we're just debating how bad Hilldawg's devastating chaos dunk will be. Another four years means the demographics shift a little more against the GOP. But they are constitutionally incapable of any meaningful shift towards policies that will actually win appreciable numbers of minority votes, because their base and the people who decide their candidates are all rabid white shitfuckers who chose Trump. They can have their base or they can try to court new groups, but few will be suckered by the latter path, and if it's actually a serious change in policies that really will sway lots of minorities, then they lose their base. Even if they don't vote Trumpsstaffel in 2020, a lot of them will stay home or at least fail to help GOTV efforts with money or work.

I mean, maybe they have an Obama-tier campaigner with incredible charisma waiting in the wings, but nobody could point to who that is today. And they'd have to have a good mind for policies as well, but the only people in the GOP who were trying to push serious, sane, widely-appealing policies in the primaries got crushed (Hi Jon Huntsman).

I think a big part of that question is going to be if anyone capable of winning the general will survive their primary. Rubio and Kasich - I think we can safely disregard Jeb at this point - probably could have put up a convincing fight against Hillary. Both got mauled in the primary by the likes of Trump and Cruz, and I don't think Cruz would be faring a whole lot better against Hillary right now.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

lol yup

There is also an interesting prejudice in the fact he chose to present Fiorina as a man as a sign of strength and Biden as a woman as a sign of weakness

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Best part is how Trump was obviously an afterthought.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The real punchline is that the entire GOP team was riding the bench because Hilary was on the field. :abuela:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Dexo posted:

I'm holding out for a Butch Otter run, although maybe he should retire on the highlight of literally Alpha Housing his primary opponent in the greatest gubernatorial debate in American history. :v:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

This fucker has won multiple Pulitzers.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

When you have, uh, 11? QBs you have no QB.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-37204837

quote:

The BBC said:
Maine Governor Paul LePage criticised for 'racist' remarks

Mr LePage was asked about a statement he made in January, in which he blamed the state's heroin problem on "guys by the name D-Money, Smoothie, Shifty" who "come from Connecticut and New York".
"They come up here, they sell their heroin, then they go back home. Incidentally, half the time they impregnate a young, white girl before they leave," he said.
Speaking on Wednesday, he denied it was racist, but said that since January he had been putting together a binder cataloguing drug arrests in the state, and that "90-plus per cent of those pictures in my book, and it's a three-ringed binder, are black and Hispanic people".
Asked by reporters to provide the binder, Mr LePage replied: "Let me tell you something: Black people come up the highway and they kill Mainers. You ought to look into that."
He then stormed off, telling the reporters: "You make me so sick."
Maine daily newspaper the Portland Press Herald has reportedly filed a Freedom of Information request for the governor's binder.
The Portland Press Herald published FBI statistics which show that 1,211 people were arrested on charges of drug sales or manufacturing in Maine in 2014. Of those, 170 - 14.1% - were black, and almost all the rest were white.
At a State House press conference, Mr LePage said he was "enormously angry" at being called a racist, and restated his earlier remarks which cast Maine's drug problem in racial terms.
He said: "When you go to war, if you know the enemy and the enemy dresses in red and you dress in blue, then you shoot at red."
He added: "You shoot at the enemy. You try to identify the enemy and the enemy right now, the overwhelming majority of people coming in, are people of colour or people of Hispanic origin."

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Did anyone ever actually think have an impossibly crowded primary was good for the Republican party, or was it one of those "turn a positive into a negative through sheer force of will" things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Why does Biden have the same weird rear end head shape as his Obama caricatures? And is that the front or back of his head? God Ramirez is such a hack.

• Locked thread