Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Did anyone ever actually think have an impossibly crowded primary was good for the Republican party, or was it one of those "turn a positive into a negative through sheer force of will" things.

It was one of those perverse incentive things. The party would benefit from unifying against Not Trump, Not Zodiac, but any given candidate wanted to stay in for at least a little while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

It was one of those perverse incentive things. The party would benefit from unifying against Not Trump, Not Zodiac, but any given candidate wanted to stay in for at least a little while.

Shouts to Kasich for allowing this to happen.

Though remember that time when Rubio gave a victory speech for coming in like third, then in the next primaries proceeded to faceplant.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Ramirez is a grade-A moran

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Did anyone ever actually think have an impossibly crowded primary was good for the Republican party, or was it one of those "turn a positive into a negative through sheer force of will" things.

This is the one downside to Republican total dominance of lower office in the US. They get a huge influx of up and comers that have proved themselves in the fighting pits of state legislatures to earn Governorships and Congressional seats only to find themselves with too many candidates that view themselves as "THE ONE" to coalesce around a few strong potential presidents that aren't bloodied all to hell.

Also hurts that their damaged philosophy attracts idiots and sociopaths.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
It like how Jeb got pushed off to the side even in a cheerleading cartoon

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It wasn't even Hillary, it was Biden lol

How? How could anyone ignore the looming Hillary run? Has she ever taken her eyes off the presidency?

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yes, because people thought that having Bush, Rubio, Walker, Christie, and Kasich would guarantee that they wouldn't lose their only strong guy to a scandal, and they figured that 4 of those guys would be dropped out and endorsing the 5th by around the time of the Nevada caucus. They had no concept that Trump would get 25-30% of the vote, they thought he'd get 5-10% of the vote.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Happy Underpants posted:

How? How could anyone ignore the looming Hillary run? Has she ever taken her eyes off the presidency?

If he used Hillary he wouldn't be able to tap into the base's seething hatred of the feminine without being too obvious. Thus, Biden in a dress.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Dr Christmas posted:

What if Trump decides to run again in 2020? :getin:

Wouldn't Trump be old as gently caress by then? Like, Biden is 73 now and we're talking about Trump running by the time he's a year older than that.

Plexiwatt
Sep 6, 2002

by exmarx
is it better to be a "GOP talking point visualizer" or a "young adult movie novelizer" on the creative scale?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

gradenko_2000 posted:

Wouldn't Trump be old as gently caress by then? Like, Biden is 73 now and we're talking about Trump running by the time he's a year older than that.

Sure, but after this, what's going to compare the narcissistic high of millions wanting to make you the most powerful man on Earth? Not even running a Fox knockoff could compare to that. And who is the crucial gibbering racist idiot bloc going to go for?

Really, I'm just trying come up with a wacky scenario where the Democrats take the House back and de-gerrymander the country. It's sad and scary to think that's what has to happen if we want a Legislative Branch that is more concerned with functioning at a bare minimum than getting revenge on the country for failing to vote for a Republcian.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

His doc said he's the most health. All positive.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Trump is likely to completely melt down after this election and be in serious physical decline well before 2020. He's a junkie who will never get this kind of high again.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Plexiwatt posted:

is it better to be a "GOP talking point visualizer" or a "young adult movie novelizer" on the creative scale?

The latter has an advantage in that they are not usually aiding and abetting an unethical cause

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

GreyjoyBastard posted:

It's hilarious, because the GOP as a party denies that the tragedy of the commons is a thing (because it demonstrates that a free market with everyone acting in their own self-interest can lead to the worst possible situation for all), but it precisely describes the situation that resulted in Trump winning.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

nachos posted:

Trump is likely to completely melt down after this election and be in serious physical decline well before 2020. He's a junkie who will never get this kind of high again.

I mean

He's a 70 year old who probably hasn't done any real physical activity in his life and as far as we know believes in a lot of health woo-woo

It's not like he has any chance of being on an upward trajectory in that regard

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Our wonderful governor once again ladies and gentlemen. Unfortunately nothing will come of this yet again and we have to deal with two more years of this ignorant guy. I realize incumbent governors have an advantage but loving hell, this guy should have never been elected in the first place.

Not sure I should be happy or sad to be moving to Massachusetts next month :(

Though honest question, not sure where I should be voting in November. Last time Maine split the vote, but maybe I should research the ballot question first..

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

AbuBakerAlBaghdadi posted:

I mean

He's a 70 year old who probably hasn't done any real physical activity in his life and as far as we know believes in a lot of health woo-woo

It's not like he has any chance of being on an upward trajectory in that regard

He's also getting like 4 hours of sleep a night or less. This campaign is taking years off of his life.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
Is there actually a decent source for that "Trump is on amphetamines" thing, the best I've seen is an unnamed source on Gawker, although I've never really looked.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Periodiko posted:

Is there actually a decent source for that "Trump is on amphetamines" thing, the best I've seen is an unnamed source on Gawker, although I've never really looked.

No decent source.

Though, you'd think that'd be something that WikiLeaks would be interested in finding out...

you know, if it wasn't so obviously a Russian propaganda arm at this point.

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

The Puppy Bowl posted:

:
I guess the upshot is that she has always polled more positively while in office than while running,

It's a bit more nuanced than that. She poles horribly when asking for a promotion. She's fine running for re-election. She barely squeaked into her senate seat thanks to a libertarian spoiler but was re-elected by a nearly 35 point margin.

Seeing her in action soothes a lot of vague sexist fears I think and next time around people have confidence in her.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Trump's "most health, he's all positive." letter says he takes daily statins.

Don't know what those are or the side effects.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I'm extremely skeptical of the Clintons, and question their devotion to progressive causes, and carry the full roster of ~*BernieBro*~ hangups.

But I have to say, forums poster McAlister is the most impressive Clinton surrogate that I've run across. McAlister's effort post defending her healthcare policies was one of the best posts I've seen this election season.

Anyway far better than the retards at Vox or the :puke: Blue Nation Review.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

PhazonLink posted:

It's just bog standard cholesterol controlling medication.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

sarmhan posted:

The post 2016-GOP attempts to rebuild are going to be interesting. There's a lot of cracks in the party that they're going to have to fill.

They've held post-mortems in 2008 and 2012 which they immediately ignored I don't see them suddenly sobering up this time around.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

PhazonLink posted:

Cholesterol medication for those at risk for heart disease. Not at all surprising since he's a 70yr old blob.

Oddly enough one of the side effects can be sexual dysfunction. Sad!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I highly doubt that Trump has ever had his mental health seriously looked at in-person by an expert, in between him "doing a standard retard" I mean.

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

GalacticAcid posted:

I'm extremely skeptical of the Clintons, and question their devotion to progressive causes, and carry the full roster of ~*BernieBro*~ hangups.

But I have to say, forums poster McAlister is the most impressive Clinton surrogate that I've run across. McAlister's effort post defending her healthcare policies was one of the best posts I've seen this election season.

Anyway far better than the retards at Vox or the :puke: Blue Nation Review.

Thanks. I'm starting to dig into whether or not prior presidents ran charities while in office and I'm positively giddy at learning that not only did FDR hold annual fundraisers for his anti -polio charity ( now called March of Dimes - originally named after a hot spring FDR got treatment at ) in the Whitehouse. Not only did he invite wealthy philanthropists to party with him in the whitehouse in return for donations to his charity.

But also his wife raked in nearly 75k a year in 1930's money ( little over a million a year today with inflation ) doing paid speeches whose proceeds were donated to charity.. Way to go Eleanor Roosevelt.

I mean, I knew all along that charitable works in presidential candidates have historically been lauded rather than attacked. But to find such a precise analog of today in history is awesome.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Yeah but Hillary is having seizures and her eyes are rolling back. I know, I've seen seizures.

- My Mom

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

The Puppy Bowl posted:

This is the one downside to Republican total dominance of lower office in the US. They get a huge influx of up and comers that have proved themselves in the fighting pits of state legislatures to earn Governorships and Congressional seats only to find themselves with too many candidates that view themselves as "THE ONE" to coalesce around a few strong potential presidents that aren't bloodied all to hell.

Also hurts that their damaged philosophy attracts idiots and sociopaths.

Pretty obvious conclusion considering they've held strong independence as a virtue above all other things while stuff like 'cooperation' and 'sacrifice' is reserved for weak-willed liberals.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Necc0 posted:

They've held post-mortems in 2008 and 2012 which they immediately ignored I don't see them suddenly sobering up this time around.

The biggest problem wit the postmortems is that while they are 100% accurate, the base just can't bring themselves to even stomach Step One, don't purposefully antagonize Hispanics.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

lol yup

There is also an interesting prejudice in the fact he chose to present Fiorina as a man as a sign of strength and Biden as a woman as a sign of weakness

And yet, note how Fiorina's big burly avatar is the only one on the top bench not manspreading.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I think Cruz is the obvious GOP play for 2020. He'll be able to point to his convention speech as proof that he wasn't onboard the Trump Train and he's the ultimate answer to "well, we didn't run a real conservative, if we did, the ~SILENT MAJORITY~ will come out in droves."

And I think he's the only candidate more unlikable than Hillary, so she'll kick his rear end assuming the country hasn't gone completely to poo poo in those 4 years.

Also, he's (the whitest looking) Hispanic, so he totally gets the GOP more of that vote. (Spoilers, no, he won't.)

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Isn't Rick Perry taking a run at Cruz's senate seat? Cruz pissed a lot of people off apparently.

I'm sure he could still run without a senate seat though.

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

Grouchio posted:

So are we expecting more deadlock if the House remains slightly republican majority during Clinton's first years?

As others have said, yeah, there will be more deadlock. If the Senate goes Dem, that at least allows them to fill a number of bench vacancies. If the Republicans have 51 seats, you're going to see immense pressure on the more moderate Republicans (like Collins) to jump ship and switch over, which may be successful if the party seems to be in full-Trump mode after the election. There's usually at least one Senator who decides to go rogue when it means a poo poo-ton of personal power or election survival - ask Jim Jeffords, or Arlen Specter, or Joe Lieberman, or Richard Shelby, or Ben Campbell.

The real interesting question will be how well Ryan is able to hold poo poo together for two years. He can't continue to balance the "I'm a serious Republican" with "I refuse to deal with Democrats" positions he's been holding for the last year - he can do it now because he can claim that Obama doesn't get a real fourth year, but he can't honestly say that the people rejected Hillary Clinton when she wins by six to eight points. And he's going to end up in the same position as Boehner as a result, because the Freedom Caucus will have just as much or more power with the smaller majority. So either he gets to be the wunderkind he wants to be and get all the press adulation he wants, or he does what the Freedom Caucus tells him and he keeps his Speakership. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he's tossed out or resigns next year, and wouldn't be surprised if it were a result of the Freedom Caucus/Issa/Gowdy demanding impeachment hearings.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Eschers Basement posted:

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he's tossed out or resigns next year, and wouldn't be surprised if it were a result of the Freedom Caucus/Issa/Gowdy demanding impeachment hearings.

It's November 10th. Paul Ryan's phone rings.

"Paul? It's John. This can all be over and you can join me. I sip wine all day and mow my lawn. I've never been happier.

Do it, Paul. Let some other sucker run things for a while. It's better out here."

Paul hangs up the phone, looks at the "Hang in there, baby" cat poster he has on his wall, and sheds a single tear.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Let's say the Democrats get within, oh, let's say ten seats of taking the House. Does this affect any of the GOP logic at all or would that depend entirely on other factors and whether or not those Democrats are replacing key nuclei of insanity?

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Nessus posted:

Let's say the Democrats get within, oh, let's say ten seats of taking the House. Does this affect any of the GOP logic at all or would that depend entirely on other factors and whether or not those Democrats are replacing key nuclei of insanity?
That's the thing, they would most likely be replacing moderate Republicans because that's who you run in the close districts. The crazies are all in the safe seats.

After this election the Tea Party and Freedom Caucus types will make up a greater proportion of Republicans in the House, no matter what.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Paul MaudDib posted:

The medical world is way, way behind on IT and security in general. I used to work with an electronic health record system that worked with ActiveX browser components and IE8 was the order of the day because guess what, that's the latest thing supported on XP. It's probably a majority of the install base for medical providers. Most of the smart ones are running it in a sandboxed Citrix environment though.

The medical world is terrible on security though. Like "being able to access the EHR from the guest wifi, which the doctors are using to connect their tablets because the official wifi won't let them connect their devices" type bad. Or being able to connect to wifi-enabled drip pumps and alter settings using the default manufacturer password type bad.

Enjoy getting your next pacemaker, those aren't secure either.

Considering I was literally installing equipment for a hospital group this summer I can say "No."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

nachos posted:

It could be worse. Trump could have been running against a better candidate that wasn't smeared for 2 decades.

In all the alternate universes, there is one where 2016 Trump is running against 2008 Obama. I wish I could see a news feed from there.

• Locked thread