Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
I was in Portland for a conference a few weeks back and was near the stadium; these two photos made me lol a bit

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Seltzer posted:

How's PPL park? Gonna see my first game there tomorrow. It looks nice on tv. I want both teams to lose and I'm gonna call Giovinco rude names

Amazing. I hate Philly but I'd go back to that stadium.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Real Name Grover posted:

Oh poo poo :(

E: USSF said he won't be called up for WCQs, though that was probably obvious

This fuckin' season. :( Hope he's okay.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

A number of articles have linked Schweinsteiger to the Fire.

That wouldn't be entirely terrible.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
That whole "last Euro team" announcement did read like he'd end up overseas eventually but it's hard to see Chicago outbidding the inevitable Chinese/Qatari megadeal, unfortunately (especially since he's still under contract so if United wanted a fee you couldn't sign him until January).

This is of course assuming you don't just want to "trade" him to Columbus and their thriving German community for Garberbucks.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

A number of generally informed people have written that the Fire have put together a good offer. It wouldn't be until January.

Guess we'll see. :shrug:

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Teams in MLS still think they can fool fans into believing we're a real grown up league by making one single large transfer every few years. Forget that half the team works for less than graduate students at midwestern directional universities and that teams would probably be better off making 4-5 one million dollar purchases instead of one 10 million dollar purchase.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Teams in MLS still think they can fool fans into believing we're a real grown up league by making one single large transfer every few years. Forget that half the team works for less than graduate students at midwestern directional universities and that teams would probably be better off making 4-5 one million dollar purchases instead of one 10 million dollar purchase.

It's almost like TAM was created just for that reason. But by all means continue.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

It's almost like TAM was created just for that reason. But by all means continue.

Not really, but by all means continue.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

That might be relevant if teams didn't still just go for big marquee signings instead of actually building squads.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

XyrlocShammypants posted:

What graduate school are you talking about because I think I'll quit my job and re-enroll if the pay's that good.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

He's not in it for the money. He just wants to play against Will Johnson one last time.

Also, Seattle can get into playoff position tomorrow.

porkface fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Aug 28, 2016

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

porkface posted:

He's not in it for the money. He just wants to play against Will Johnson one last time.

Also, Seattle can get into playoff position tomorrow.

Update: they didn't.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Nothing says "MLS TV coverage" like commentary missing a goal because they were babbling about tifos

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
The best part was she finished the story!

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Toronto FC supporters did a really cool tifo on the weekend:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcGHrXHgFKA

The last two weeks of August every year, the land around BMO Field is used for the Canadian National Exhibition (think state fair) so that's what is up with the circus theme.

BUT ... all the oxygen is getting soaked up by the controversy over a "Montreal you suck" two stick:

https://twitter.com/ImpactLGBT/status/769929747937845249

In conclusion, BMO field is a land of contrasts. Thank you.

Welcome to GBS
Feb 26, 2011

Ciprian Maricon posted:

That might be relevant if teams didn't still just go for big marquee signings instead of actually building squads.

2015 MLC Cup Champion's Portland Timbers say hello.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Giovinco got injured in the derby against Montreal and will be out for a month, because TFC can't have nice things.

Meanwhile, after failing to win yet another surprisingly winnable game on Saturday, I am etching the gravestone of Vancouver's season (of course the epitaph will be "they never scored").

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

BUT ... all the oxygen is getting soaked up by the controversy over a "Montreal you suck" two stick:

https://twitter.com/ImpactLGBT/status/769929747937845249

In conclusion, BMO field is a land of contrasts. Thank you.

Big fan of this cartoon world where @ImpactLGBT exists. These MLS types are true sports likers

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
So I went to PPL park... here are my thoughts... The stadium is nice, the view is amazing and tickets are cheap. That's about where the good stuff ends. I thought that Union fans might be a different breed of sports fans than the usual philly sports crowd but they weren't. Imagine all that that entails. People bagging on Harrison should take a look at the fact that Chester has an MLS stadium before they start piling on us. Harrison is at least only 10 minutes from the Iron Bound on foot. It's near good food, good bars etc. Oh and it's rail accessible from NJ and NYC. The drive to Chester is pretty far from center city and driving is the only convenient way of getting there. The parking is overpriced (especially since the "lot" is a large uneven mound of gravel beneath an underpass). I was on the exact opposite end of the supporters section and there was a one man drunken Capo behind us that was so bad I actually moved. Oh and lastly the Doop thing is loving horrible in person. At least I got to see Alberg smash in a crazy goal as the sun set on the Delaware river. I wanted to like PPL park, I really did. I wouldn't mind going back for a redbulls game and I'm aware the stadium is probably miles better than a lot in the league but I was expecting a bit more.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Aug 29, 2016

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Welcome to GBS posted:

2015 MLC Cup Champion's Portland Timbers say hello.

You can't go "oh yeah TAM, definitely changing things up" with Portland as your example. They're doing the same Calvin-ball poo poo as always, plus a flashy DP in Lucas Melano for a handful of millions. That's pretty much business as usual for MLS teams and exactly the kind of poo poo XyrlocShammypants was saying the league should move away from.

I'm not sure the complicated and needless payroll and parity idiocy in the league would really allow for the kind of squad building Xyrloc is talking about, but I know for sure that Portland ain't a shinning example of it.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Imagine if teams spent 20 million on 11 players instead of on 3. It would be good imo.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
I'm trying to imagine New England spending any money on anything actually and I just cant picture it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Seltzer posted:

I thought that Union fans might be a different breed of sports fans than the usually philly sports crowd

man, why would you ever think this?

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Seltzer posted:

Imagine if teams spent 20 million on 11 players instead of on 3. It would be good imo.

Bet you without looking that DC doesn't spend $20 million total.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Ciprian Maricon posted:

They're doing the same Calvin-ball poo poo as always, plus a flashy DP in Lucas Melano for a handful of millions.

Melano is a "big name marquee" player? None of Portland's DPs are really the "flashy" type designed to sell tickets. The highest paid DP is Ridgewell at $1.1mil, the rest are all under $750k*. I mean, Gavin & Merritt are definitely on some "moneyball" poo poo, but our 2 main acquisitions this season were players coming off a season where their team was relegated. One, Vytas, has looked pretty good (IMO) and the other, Steven Taylor, has been... well at least better than Jermaine Taylor. That's not "flashy" that's identifying needs that offseason acquisitions (Klute and Valentin after selling Villafana) didn't fix, or replacing season ending in Borchers.

* - according to the MLS salary report. Also, holy gently caress, Amobi Okugo makes $300k while Diego Chara is only making $150k.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

highme posted:

Melano is a "big name marquee" player? None of Portland's DPs are really the "flashy" type designed to sell tickets.

Melano hasn't even reached puberty yet, so I don't get the idea that he's a big name signing. Look at his face and his haircut. Those do not belong to a full-grown man.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Melano's transfer fee is reportedly near 5 million dollars, that's a flashy purchase in our dumb little league and exactly the kind of buy Xyrloc was talking about when he mentioned MLS teams perpetually spending big on one dude when they should probably spend less on several. It's not "aging European star" like other teams but fundamentally it is still spending a ton of money on a single player when a team would likely be better served spending that money on a couple of players instead.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Aug 29, 2016

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
https://twitter.com/TaylorTwellman/status/770349324614131712

lmbo but fine with him leaving the hemisphere

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Real Name Grover posted:

lmbo but fine with him leaving the hemisphere

He heard the Turkish government had arrested a ton of league refs for allegedly being coup supporters and he just knew it was his once-in-a-lifetime chance to shine.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Melano's transfer fee is reportedly near 5 million dollars, that's a flashy purchase in our dumb little league and exactly the kind of buy Xyrloc was talking about when he mentioned MLS teams perpetually spending big on one dude when they should probably spend less on several. It's not "aging European star" like other teams but fundamentally it is still spending a ton of money on a single player when a team would likely be better served spending that money on a couple of players instead.
Are you saying teams should not spend big dollars on individual players?

Every other sport does this, why shouldn't MLS?

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Melano sucks but I don't think you can say he was a flashy purchase that they hoped to market the club around. If anything he's probably a player that they saw something in and hoped would grow into making that 5 million transfer fee worth it.

Steven Gerrard is a much better example of a flashy and way over priced player that is mainly there for marketing and merchandise and doesn't really do much of anything on the field.

poo poo, even Lampard came in and scored a bunch of goals once he was able to actually play.

threeagainstfour fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Aug 29, 2016

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

porkface posted:

Are you saying teams should not spend big dollars on individual players?

Every other sport does this, why shouldn't MLS?
Yes other sports do this, but in a game that's eleven-a-side you generally don't want to be spending most of your salary on just a few big-name players.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

If we get money out of it, I'm fine with it. With him and Gerrard next year, our offseason is going to be real interesting. I think Seattle's acquisition of Lodeiro really made our FO sit up and look around a bit. He is the exact kind of player we need and I think we'll see a 30+ Euro with his skillset coming this way in January.

highme
May 25, 2001

Are you guys forgetting that the DP salary isn't a full cap hit and that they only count between $150k-457k towards the cap depending on their age? Anything above that $457k only counts against the organizations revenue & not their ability to field a team.

They paid a $5mil transfer fee for Melano in hopes of getting a couple of years out of him and then selling him for more. Since Melano is 23 he's a young DP and only counts $200k against the cap. So if Merritt is willing to overpay Lanus for a kid they think they're going to flip to Europe in a couple of years, those funds only matter to Timbers Inc, and not the salary cap. It's not preventing them from going out and overpaying Amobi Okugo.

Adi will likely be sold at the end of the season to a team in a better league. They used TAM to pay down his salary to get him out of DP status so they could bring in Melano. The team will probably make a decent bit of money on any Adi transactions since (IIRC) they bought him for $1-1.5mil and he's had interest from Liga MX and lower division (but uncapped) European teams.

Melano has been a bit of a flop, but he's still only been in the league for a little over a year now. Hopefully he gets better now that he's getting acclimated to the style of play, but who knows. The othe 2 DPs are Valeri & Ridgewell. Maybe dropping $1.1mil a year on an aging Brit who was best known for wiping his rear end with money wasn't the best use of money, but things worked out ok. They paid a $3mil or so transfer fee plus $750k-ish salary for Valeri, and he's one of the best players in the league.

Basically, I'm not really sure what other strategy in regards to DPs they were supposed to use. Don't use that Calvinball rule and hope a bunch of $350k Amobi Okugos get you a cup?

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

If we get money out of it, I'm fine with it. With him and Gerrard next year, our offseason is going to be real interesting. I think Seattle's acquisition of Lodeiro really made our FO sit up and look around a bit. He is the exact kind of player we need and I think we'll see a 30+ Euro with his skillset coming this way in January.

I'm sure there will be more players in that age range brought in from Argenitine teams. Lodeiro, Higuain, Valeri are all good examples of the quality of that can be had there.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
I still say we'd be better at attracting South American talent if the league made its motto "Our checks actually cash and come regularly"

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

highme posted:

I'm sure there will be more players in that age range brought in from Argenitine teams. Lodeiro, Higuain, Valeri are all good examples of the quality of that can be had there.

The thing is we don't actually do a whole lot of scouting in South America. The rest of the league does for sure, but we don't.

highme
May 25, 2001

That was phrased weird, I meant league-wise, not necessarily the Galaxy doing it.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I haven't been watching much this season but Melano seemed pretty good in the last game?

then again so did Liam loving Ridgewell so maybe it was just a one-off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

highme posted:

Really, MLS has started to be pretty good at managing to find and prove these diamond in the rough players that would probably never even get a glance from Top European teams, and are not good enough to be prominent within their nation. This can even include European players like Andy Rose.

So more like diamonds that fell through the sieve. It'll also be nice to see if academies help break through pay for play. I feel good about the chances for continual improvement and settling into a niche within the soccer world assuming upcoming expansion doesn't ruin everything.

• Locked thread