Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Highwang is absolutely right about mods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I wonder if some people transform Abominations too much. I treat their beast mode like Houndmaster dog biscuits, mostly.

By which I mean forget about them until halfway through the fight which would you should have used them at the start of.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

RareAcumen posted:

That's just the surface of the garbage boat of mods DD gets.

Chitlin linked me to some mind-fraying ones. One of them being what would barely be described as Quiet from MGS5

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Highwang posted:

That's just the surface of the garbage boat of mods DD gets.

Chitlin linked me to some mind-fraying ones. One of them being what would barely be described as Quiet from MGS5

All of the terrible horrors I have seen pale in comparison to that final, crowning thing. I could not look, nor could I look away!

That mod that turns the hellion into a lady that kills by smashing things with her butt damaged my sanity a little

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Tylana posted:

I wonder if some people transform Abominations too much. I treat their beast mode like Houndmaster dog biscuits, mostly.

By which I mean forget about them until halfway through the fight which would you should have used them at the start of.

I forgot to check his skills before throwing mine into the dungeon in a desperate week three. The only thing he could do in human form was heal his stress and hp. :downs:

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Pvt.Scott posted:

I forgot to check his skills before throwing mine into the dungeon in a desperate week three. The only thing he could do in human form was heal his stress and hp. :downs:

That is an issue of positioning. All Abominations know all their skills at least any time when I've played. The inability to work from Rank 1 is a big PITA though. And they have 0 abilities at Rank 4 IIRC.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Tylana posted:

That is an issue of positioning. All Abominations know all their skills at least any time when I've played. The inability to work from Rank 1 is a big PITA though. And they have 0 abilities at Rank 4 IIRC.

It has been a really long time since I sat down and played Darkest Dungeon for more than one dungeon run once every month or so. I completely forgot about abominations working like that.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Yeah, it's very much that kind of game I find. Which is why I'm hoping this LP goes well, even if Highwang ends up having to give a highlights reel of the more boring grindy bits.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Thanks to this LP, I've begun playing DD again. I seem to be doing a lot better than I did when I played it before, I used to overspend on upgrading everything and often had no money left over for supplies. For a while I also tried just brute-forcing everything with no torches, which just ended up ruining me on de-stress costs.

One thing I only recently discovered is that you can change around skills while you're actually in the dungeon :doh:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Halser posted:

All of the terrible horrors I have seen pale in comparison to that final, crowning thing. I could not look, nor could I look away!

That mod that turns the hellion into a lady that kills by smashing things with her butt damaged my sanity a little

Shame, that sounds dumb as hell and I can't stop laughing at the concept of it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

RareAcumen posted:

Shame, that sounds dumb as hell and I can't stop laughing at the concept of it.

For all discussion of weird, wonderful, and awful game mods, we have such things to show you up in Games.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Cythereal posted:

For all discussion of weird, wonderful, and awful game mods, we have such things to show you up in Games.

That's mostly why I'm just laughing at the idea of it.

Halser posted:

If you can take another stress hit, I want a link to this thing.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

One thing I only recently discovered is that you can change around skills while you're actually in the dungeon :doh:

Whaaaaaa? Was that a post-EA thing?

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

RareAcumen posted:

If you can take another stress hit, I want a link to this thing.

I'm sure you can find it on the nexus. I've only seen screenshots of the mod in effect.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Pvt.Scott posted:

Whaaaaaa? Was that a post-EA thing?

I don't know how long it's been there, but you can definitely right-click on your heroes and change skills while you're in-dungeon.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

yup. you cannot do so in COMBAT though.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

RareAcumen posted:

I'm not an abomination, THIS is an abomination :v:

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
The Vestal, Crusader and Leper all refuse to be partied with anyone who watches dubs.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

RareAcumen posted:

"In time, you will know the tragic extent of my failings."

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
lovely 20min photoshop gooo:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Finally got caught up on all the videos, and I must say for a game that I've heard is so incredibly lethal I'm surprised no one's died yet despite all the close calls.

Although I have to ask, is the game always this dark and gloomy? I'm getting some distinct Cthulu Mythos vibes from the setting and the narrator/ancestor especially.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Halser posted:

And now that I've watched the video I can reveal something.

I have actually changed the lines in-game to be funnier, at least considering my own sense of humor.

I have lines for Miss("Why did I bring a Leper") and dodge("Outskilled") and stuff like that.
here's a few examples(there's a Ruins boss spoiler there!)
http://imgur.com/a/RRAsy

this was probably overwritten with recent patches so I'd have to redo everything again if someone wanted the mod, but it shouldn't take longer than 20 or so minutes.

First image doesn't show the text correctly, but it's supposed to be a very subtle "OH gently caress"

Can you tell me which files specifically need to be edited, and if I can use your standard text editor for it? Want to personalize mine.

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

Why would I draw dudes when I could be drawing literally anything else?

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Finally got caught up on all the videos, and I must say for a game that I've heard is so incredibly lethal I'm surprised no one's died yet despite all the close calls.

Although I have to ask, is the game always this dark and gloomy? I'm getting some distinct Cthulu Mythos vibes from the setting and the narrator/ancestor especially.

What, with the Occultist giving off such strong Abdul Alhazred vibes? Never! (also fishmen)

Basically, the answer to your questions, implicit or otherwise, is 'yes on all counts'.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

vdate posted:

What, with the Occultist giving off such strong Abdul Alhazred vibes? Never! (also fishmen)

Basically, the answer to your questions, implicit or otherwise, is 'yes on all counts'.

The sanity mechanic was also a big tip-off. :v:

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
Well, that and the tentacles.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Cythereal posted:

If it makes you feel better, I've already ground up three adventurers and it's only week 7 on my file! I'm massaging an A-Team, but I decided everyone else was expendable until I get some breathing room. Profits...have significantly increased.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The early (0-2 level) dungeons are entirely to lull you into a false sense of security.

I speak from experience. Terrible, dread experience.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

RickVoid posted:

Can you tell me which files specifically need to be edited, and if I can use your standard text editor for it? Want to personalize mine.

sure

the file is "miscellaneous.string_table.xml". I use notepad++ to read it, and it helps by coloring stuff so it's easier to read.

The lines that affect combat are generally the ones with "ui" tagged on it, like

quote:

<entry id="str_ui_dodge"><![CDATA[Dodge!]]></entry>

the string inside CDATA is what pops up when someone dodges an attack.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Help I'm dead from laughter.

Halser posted:

sure

the file is "miscellaneous.string_table.xml". I use notepad++ to read it, and it helps by coloring stuff so it's easier to read.

The lines that affect combat are generally the ones with "ui" tagged on it, like

the string inside CDATA is what pops up when someone dodges an attack.

Hmm. Might have to gently caress around with things.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Highwang posted:

Help I'm dead from laughter.

Hmm. Might have to gently caress around with things.

I better see some terrible memes six episodes from now

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I do wonder what powers the fish guys/cultists/etc are channeling, as they have more dark themed powers than the occultist does. Sure, the occultist has his stun that puts out the torch (though I've never seen anyone use it) but his tentacle motif is a lot different from the other wizards in Darkest Dungeon.

he literally uses the exact same tentacle animation as the cultists

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ZeroCount posted:

he literally uses the exact same tentacle animation as the cultists

And by implication of the narrator, it's living under the PC's house. Meaning the game will probably end with the adventurers killing its corporeal body but the experience drives them and the PC so insane that they become its replacement body or some such.

I'll be very surprised if the game goes "Congratulations, the evil is destroyed, your evil ancestor laid to rest, everyone goes home and lives happily ever after save for the lifelong cases of PTSD."

I am enjoying the LP, though. Not sure it's my cup of tea to pick up myself, but the LP is funny and informative and has been doing a great job showing off the game.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Cythereal posted:

And by implication of the narrator, it's living under the PC's house. Meaning the game will probably end with the adventurers killing its corporeal body but the experience drives them and the PC so insane that they become its replacement body or some such.

I'll be very surprised if the game goes "Congratulations, the evil is destroyed, your evil ancestor laid to rest, everyone goes home and lives happily ever after save for the lifelong cases of PTSD."

I am enjoying the LP, though. Not sure it's my cup of tea to pick up myself, but the LP is funny and informative and has been doing a great job showing off the game.

I don't think the Ancestor is evil, just a hell of a dick.

Wouldn't you doom humanity to eternal darkess and madness if you were tired of boring rear end luxury and being rich?

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

quote:

<entry id="str_ui_dodge"><![CDATA[Dodge!]]></entry>

Oh man. XML is funnier than most memes.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

StoryTime posted:

Linus Torvalds posted:

XML is crap. Really. There are no excuses. XML is nasty to parse for humans, and it's a disaster to parse even for computers. There's just no reason for that horrible crap to exist.

As always, Linus is 100% correct.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

StoryTime posted:

KozmoNaut posted:

As always, Linus is 100% correct.

I'm not sure I understand.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Halser posted:

Neither do I, but I think that's the point.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Halser posted:

LogicalFallacy posted:

StoryTime posted some typically crappy XML, I posted a quote about the crappiness of XML, that I had just read recently.

XML is poo poo that I have to deal with every day at work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer

Halser posted:

LogicalFallacy posted:

Linus, of Linux fame. He tears into XML, the coding language used here, for being bad. People share his opinions. :thejoke:

o/~ If you don't understand it, google it. o/~

Halser posted:

I don't think the Ancestor is evil, just a hell of a dick.

Wouldn't you doom humanity to eternal darkess and madness if you were tired of boring rear end luxury and being rich?

We'll see more of the Ancestor's failings as the LP progresses. It's... a bit of a show.

• Locked thread