Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Recoome posted:

https://twitter.com/patawright/status/769711628799479808

quite the turnout, also guess they have to hide their faces or something?

It's kinda ironic that those morons belt on about how backwards it is for Muslim women to wear head scarves and yet here we are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Nibbles! posted:

Not to mention certain members have also stated they'd ignore the result of a plebiscite if it went against their world view anyway.

It's not like it's a debate that needs to take place, it's Australia playing catch up with the rest of the developed world.

So I was gonna say this too but I wasn't sure it was true. Is it seriously non binding to actual legislation?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Maluco Marinero posted:

So I was gonna say this too but I wasn't sure it was true. Is it seriously non binding to actual legislation?

Yep, it carries no more legal weight than a Newspoll.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Comstar posted:

So that's the end result of designing a system like that.
Go free markets!

Gorbash posted:

So Labor seem likely to oppose the plebiscite - that's a good thing, yeah?
Sadly it is because the ALP tacticians see it as a way of wedging Turnbull and deepening the rift between him and the fringe muppet right faction of the LNP. Which is basically just what happened to the last ALP government and is why it never got a run then either.

Labor are ultimately unlikely to support a vote in parliament because they also are beholding to their bigoted right wing conservatives. Someone is doing the numbers I'm sure but there is still the posibility of collateral damage from someone publicly splitting (ala DLP).

So basically what ewe2 said.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please

Maluco Marinero posted:

It's not legally binding but when members are elected to reflect the views of their constitutes it's an affront to the process that they would ignore the result.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

You Am I posted:

It's kinda ironic that those morons belt on about how backwards it is for Muslim women to wear head scarves and yet here we are

it's those drat leftists preventing us from showing our faces!!!!!

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
FoDI coming

http://fodi.sydneyoperahouse.com/home/how-many-dangerous-ideas-can-one-person-have/

http://fodi.sydneyoperahouse.com/home/cheaters-sex-addicts-and-pickup-artists/

Lid fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Aug 28, 2016

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-28/man-arrested-over-adding-hydrochloric-acid-to-gay-club-dispenser/7792338?WT.tsrc=Facebook

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Cartoon posted:

Labor are ultimately unlikely to support a vote in parliament because they also are beholding to their bigoted right wing conservatives. Someone is doing the numbers I'm sure but there is still the posibility of collateral damage from someone publicly splitting (ala DLP).

More than that, the ALP have been deciding tactics depending on whether they can disagree with the Greens and blame them when a vote fails. That both majors are claiming helplessness against a minor party is indicative of the complete farce and dishonesty with which this and other issues are treated. There are a sizeable amount of MPs in both majors who want the issue settled but cannot make themselves heard over this stupidity.

This parliament will be exceptionally interesting to watch because the ALP now have less choice about disagreeing with the Greens if it wants to win a vote; if enough cross-benchers support a Greens position all is lost. Consequently the desire to cause a rift between the Greens and cross-benchers is too great for either major to resist.

Central to all this is the need to not actually address an issue; if its too complex or too hard, all the better to string it out over the course of a term and avoid actually doing anything. Look at 18c and marriage equality, both could be "solved" by the most minor of legislation, and look at the stunts around it.

The LNP don't actually want to fix 18c, everyone knows its 18d and the Right don't want to change an issue that they get support from the base on. The base thinks it's Malcolm's fault and that suits the Right.

The ALP don't want to fix marriage equality, it's too good an issue to distract the government with. The base thinks it's the Greens fault and that suits the ALP Right.

But the real issues they're both avoiding are economic. That's why culture wars are suddenly very important. But the Senate has different ideas, hopefully.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Bolt on FODI posted:

He is married with three children and two dogs.

Bolt making a strong play on the gay marriage slippery slope argument.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Nibbles! posted:

It's not legally binding but when members are elected to reflect the views of their constitutes it's an affront to the process that they would ignore the result.

This is the main reason to support the plebiscite in my opinion. I wouldn't bet on separate legislation passing, and I'm sure that the Liberal party is only too happy to shrug and say 'at least we tried'. If a plebiscite is held and the legislation isn't passed in the way that the public expects, then it will sink the Liberal party. Hell, the party might tear itself apart even if everything passes without a hitch. At least with a plebiscite, you will have a festering wound that will come back to bite them in the rear end, similar to what has been happening with the NBN.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

gently caress the plebicite. Sticking it in 2017 so you can have a year long period of throwing poo poo at LGBT? gently caress you.

Imagine the Safe Schools bullshit turned up to 11 and going on for the whole time and I'm going to kill myself

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Aug 28, 2016

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

gently caress the plebicite. Sticking it in 2017 so you can have a year long period of throwing poo poo at LGBT? gently caress you.

They have the excuse that the AEC can't actually organise one until next year in February some time.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Tokamak posted:

This is the main reason to support the plebiscite in my opinion. I wouldn't bet on separate legislation passing, and I'm sure that the Liberal party is only too happy to shrug and say 'at least we tried'. If a plebiscite is held and the legislation isn't passed in the way that the public expects, then it will sink the Liberal party. Hell, the party might tear itself apart even if everything passes without a hitch. At least with a plebiscite, you will have a festering wound that will come back to bite them in the rear end, similar to what has been happening with the NBN.

It's a choice between the lesser of two evils. Personally I feel like the damage that a plebiscite campaign is likely to do to (especially young/closeted) queer people is worse than the good of probably having marriage equality sooner. The Liberal party seems to be doing pretty good at tearing themselves to pieces even without holding the plebiscite and I don't think it's worth the heartache.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

SynthOrange posted:

Imagine the Safe Schools bullshit turned up to 11 and going on for the whole time and I'm going to kill myself

at least there will be plenty of opportunity for protesting and smashing the fash, friend :smith:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I can actually imagine the fascists might lose a lot of support if they start organising against same sex marriage.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I can actually imagine the fascists might lose a lot of support if they start organising against same sex marriage.

probably just more negative publicity. The Perth branch of the UPF/TBC have taken an active stance against Safe Schools and SSM (even attacked Safe Schools protestors).

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

ewe2 posted:

They have the excuse that the AEC can't actually organise one until next year in February some time.
I'd like to see that assertion actually tested in the open. It has the whiff of utter bull poo poo to me. And remember who is asking you to believe it to be true.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Nah, people don't care. When I pointed out Hanson's "gay marriage is icky and would lead to people marrying animals and children" stance to a cousin who has a gay sister and was posting stuff celebrating Hanson's election they were just like "I just know she's going to clean up our backyard," and plenty of my relatives that are queer friendly have no problem sharing "I EAT PORK gently caress MOOSLEMEN" memes from pages that post just as much "gently caress fags lol, Safe Schools is Cultural Marxist brainwashing" poo poo as they do Islamophobic stuff.

People compartmentalise that stuff just fine.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
A plebiscite will be fiiiiiiine:

A man has been arrested and charged after allegedly putting hydrochloric acid inside what is understood to be a lubricant dispenser at a gay club in Sydney's north-west.

Police said the 62-year-old man went into the Bridge Street premises in Rydalmere on Saturday, filling a dispenser inside a room with the highly corrosive acid.

The ABC understands the club in question is the Aarows club, which describes itself as "Sydney's gay and bi social club" with "three levels of adult adventure".

Items in the room had been fitted with alarms after they had previously been tampered with in a similar way, police said.

Security stopped the man before police arrested him, officers said.

Hydrochloric acid is a strong, corrosive acid which can produce burns, ulcers and scars when put into contact with skin.

The man has been charged with a range of offences, including administering poison with the intent to cause injury, distress or pain, and malicious damage.

He has been granted bail to appear at Parramatta Local Court next month.

ABSOLUTELY FINE!

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Recoome posted:

nah it's full of his patriotic poo poo, but it's in the style of colours.

also

https://twitter.com/tajournalist/status/769706680305131520

quite the cracking quacking rally they have. I wonder what that tattoo means

https://twitter.com/tajournalist/status/769732342688587776

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?
I heard that bunnings won't let you sell bacon or pork sausages if you're doing a bbq in their carpark!

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Did he think people put lube straight into their junk from the dispenser? Or was he going a hurr, I'ma gently caress some ppls hands up

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Mr Chips posted:

I heard that bunnings won't let you sell bacon or pork sausages if you're doing a bbq in their carpark!

NO CHRISTMAS LIGHTS IN <town>

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Starshark posted:

NO CHRISTMAS LIGHTS IN <town>

Or decorations on the bus. :colbert:

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Recoome posted:

nah it's full of his patriotic poo poo, but it's in the style of colours.

also

https://twitter.com/tajournalist/status/769706680305131520

quite the cracking rally they have. I wonder what that tattoo means

ISLAM
S
L
A
M

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

come on and islam, and welcome to the jam

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

NO Mankind

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Sydney's lockout laws are popular

SMH posted:

A majority of NSW voters say the controversial "lockout" laws in Sydney's centre should be extended across the state and three-quarters of young people support existing laws, an exclusive Fairfax poll has found.

Nearly 60 per cent of NSW voters support extending the 1.30am "lockout" and 3am last drinks in force across Kings Cross and parts of the CBD to the rest of the state, according to a Fairfax-commissioned ReachTEL poll of 1600 voters. Only one-quarter of voters are opposed to extending the lockouts statewide; the balance are undecided.

[T]he poll found broad support within the community for keeping a 1.30am lockout (70 per cent) and retaining the 3am "last drinks" time (72 per cent). Support for retaining a 1.30am closing time and 3am last drinks was highest within voters aged 18-34 demographic, the poll found, reaching nearly 75 and 78 per cent support for each of those measures respectively. About 54 per cent of those aged 18-35 supported extending the lockouts, those numbers increased nearly 10 percentage points among those aged over 65.

The poll was taken last Thursday and had a margin of error of 2.8 per cent. The results were weighted to reflect gender and age.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Libs still salty about mediscare, bother to make a press release qq'ing all about it. Read if you give a gently caress. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-28/medicare-figures-prove-labor-campaign-has-no-basis-ley-says/7791682

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

You Am I posted:

I call bandannas worn like that, by people like that, Hjidiots: hijabs for idiots.

NewMars fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Aug 28, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Frankly I think it's the pot calling the kettle black-bloc

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The results were weighted to reflect gender and age.

People with landlines don't like going out and they only got one or two to answer?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
I thought this was amusing

quote:

According to an online audit of the prime minister's official Twitter account almost half his followers are considered fake.

While the tech-savvy leader has more followers than any other serving Australian politician – just over 654,000 – TwitterAudit has found 298,000 of them aren't real.

That leaves him with an authenticity score of just 54 per cent – the lowest of any senior federal politician.

It also means his one-time leadership rival Tony Abbott – who once dismissively described social media as "electronic graffiti" – actually has more real followers: 400,000 of his 615,000 followers are considered authentic.

In the lead-up to the 2013 election the Liberal Party was forced to deny it had paid to increase Mr Abbott's numbers after his followers suddenly spiked.

This was pretty funny too

quote:

The plain fact is that, albeit by a nose, the Coalition won government. They thus get to put the main shape on savings and should be supported. Not just by Labor but by all the independents who presumably realise they are there not for themselves but for a better Australia, for all of us.
:qq::qq: why won't they let them govern?? :qq::qq:

The libs are starting to sound a bit pissed off that Bill is sounding more prime ministerial than the actual PM I guess

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
christ, people love to back a winner don't they

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

Credit where it's due: 60 Minutes' in-depth profile of Pauline Hanson was forensically reported, impeccably scripted, an interviewing masterclass and will stand the test of time as a brilliant piece of television journalism on one of the political phenomenons of our time.

But enough about 1996. What happened on Sunday night?

:supaburn:

goddammit Xenophons' going to support the pleb

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Aug 29, 2016

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Sydney's lockout laws are popular

Wait, Australians are authoritarians? Say it ain't so!

I see plenty of young people defending these laws, so I don't think the result is due to a biased sample.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

SynthOrange posted:

:supaburn:

goddammit Xenophons' going to support the pleb

He's officially saying they will announce a position later this week. Meaning he wants to have Turnbull grovelling at his feet for the next 72 hours and see what he can drag out of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

Bill, get out of the way and let the government govern
COMMENT Amanda Vanstone

:laffo:

• Locked thread