Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Frank Dillinger posted:

Not cool, bro.
It's a rolling probable cause truck man.
I'm not seriously suggesting drake is a nazi ffs.

e: Like you really thought something like that?

slidebite fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Aug 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

:stwoon:

Spotted this in Airdrie on Thursday. It was gorgeous. Looked it up, turns out a company called Avion made these rad air-stream-esque campers in the sixties.

I kinda want one.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

That does look awesome. I've always lusted for an airstream.

Texas tags?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
It's only taking 5 parking spots. Surely a Texan could do an even dozen with a setup like that?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

slidebite posted:

That does look awesome. I've always lusted for an airstream.

Texas tags?

Yeah, Texas. I wonder what they were doing up here, that is a LONG way to tow that little 4x4 with a camper that big.

Al-Can maybe?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Pretty much guaranteed

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

slidebite posted:

It's a rolling probable cause truck man.
I'm not seriously suggesting drake is a nazi ffs.

e: Like you really thought something like that?

Naw man, I like you guys! I just don't like seeing nazi poo poo pasted on stuff. It's a German cultural shame thing, really.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
There used to be these icbc stickers that looked like the graduated license stickers and also were an SS badge. A local 4x4 shop had them on their rides.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

slidebite posted:

After you finish the rim job, just swap it for real SS badges

Do this and we can go have drinks to the Austrian club in Calgary and I can point out the photo of the guy who's vehemently anti-semitic wife I had to sit and listen ramble off complete insanity as a teen so my mom could get some free cloths.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

SSS brought his subaru to my shop today. Looks like there're things that need to be lit on fire.

The pride of the manufacturing hub that is Airdrie Alberta.

But yeah this suspension is crazy jacked up. We tore the subframe out, cleaned it, primered it, and undercoated it.

There are some newer control arms that we also cleaned and painted after burning the bushings out. Original ones are still in the car for now.

Notice anything missing? Turns out his exhaust was holding up the transmission and 30% of the drivetrain. :stare:

So yeah, we wanted to put all new bushings in to prepare this wagon for winter, but this thing isn't leaving until that transmission support gets fixed, and we didn't have the parts here, plus it's sunday and I'm in the middle of nowhere.

On the plus side, while we were playing car jenga and moving things around to different bays, SSS heard the battery hissing on the Coronet. Looks like she cracked and done busted :saddowns: Also we fixed a power steering leak which was making the pump super loud.

With his ride in the air, the Helica became his chariot for the day/week, and I needed a place to park the truck fleet. Ahh, space.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
We did good. Except for the part where I almost died every time I drove that car for the last year or so?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

yikes, how old was the battery in the Coronet?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

1500quidporsche posted:

yikes, how old was the battery in the Coronet?

I think the sticker said 2006, which, given that it worked at all is pretty amazing. I'm not 100% certain though, it came with it when I bought it 3 years ago.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Except for the part where I almost died every time I drove that car for the last year or so?
I had one of those today too.

Took almost no effort to snap that fucker. Never lost more fluid than what it took to make that wet spot, and I've had to stand on that pedal a few times.
also cunifer brake line is loving incredible

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
That's some Final Destination poo poo.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
I had to get a bigger torque wrench because muh chebby needs its goddamn lug nuts torqued to 140 ft-lbs so I went to good old Princess Auto and grabbed one. I was pretty impressed, until I read the manual!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So my favorite comedian has a book coming out.
Quick overview/review HERE by someone who knows him pretty well.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Wait wtf Norm MacDonald's brother is Neil MacDonald?

Jesus Christ, Canada

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

DrakeriderCa posted:

Jesus Christ, Canada

Imagine growing up alongside Norm Macdonald.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

DrakeriderCa posted:

Jesus Christ, Canada

HEY, YOU'RE CANADIAN, DO YOU KNOW TED IN TORONTO???

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

DrakeriderCa posted:

Jesus Christ, Canada
I am a little surprised you didn't know that.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Imagine growing up alongside Norm Macdonald.
He'd be that smartass brother that you wanted to pummel but he'd say something to save his skin .... and then 20 minutes later you'd realize it was an incredible burn.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I just ordered 500 dollars worth of stainless steel for the roaster.

This loving pig better turn out amazing.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Thinking about flying down to your lovely province (probably Edmonton) from the NWT to pick up a truck and could use some advice/guidance.

I've got a little Sonic which is great for driving around town, but I want something to take the occasional trip down south with, tow a little trailer, drive out to the cabin in the snow, etc. Not offroading, but 2 wheel drive with all season tires isn't going to cut it.

I'm looking at like a 2005ish crew cab 4x4 for under $10k. Where would you guys recommend I check? I hear everyone uses Kijiji pretty much so I've been keeping my eyes open there. I am kind of leaning towards a dealer even though it'd be more than a private sale because I'd be flying in to buy it and convincing someone to get their 10+ year old vehicle checked out by a mechanic in such a short timeframe seems unrealistic. Not sure what other options I'd have (hire someone who knows their poo poo to go look at trucks?). Flying down to have a deal fall through would be expensive and annoying.

If this is absolutely the wrong thread, sorry, but it seems relevant?

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Slung Blade posted:

Oh it will.
Protip: put a good burn through the roaster before you make do the pig in it. I think you are doing a charcoal/wood roaster, correct? If so, get a nice hot roaring fire stoked in it for a few hours. Throw some bacon in or something to grease it up early.
First cooks always end up funny, so if you "waste" the first cook on something, the pig'll be better for it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

odiv posted:

Thinking about flying down to your lovely province (probably Edmonton) from the NWT to pick up a truck and could use some advice/guidance.

I've got a little Sonic which is great for driving around town, but I want something to take the occasional trip down south with, tow a little trailer, drive out to the cabin in the snow, etc. Not offroading, but 2 wheel drive with all season tires isn't going to cut it.

I'm looking at like a 2005ish crew cab 4x4 for under $10k. Where would you guys recommend I check? I hear everyone uses Kijiji pretty much so I've been keeping my eyes open there. I am kind of leaning towards a dealer even though it'd be more than a private sale because I'd be flying in to buy it and convincing someone to get their 10+ year old vehicle checked out by a mechanic in such a short timeframe seems unrealistic. Not sure what other options I'd have (hire someone who knows their poo poo to go look at trucks?). Flying down to have a deal fall through would be expensive and annoying.

Make friends with Powershift and troll auctions.

The low CDN$$ has made used truck prices go bonkers unless you luck out. Just this AM on my way to work I saw 3 more haulers loaded with late 00s+ trucks heading south.

If you're scared of an auction, jumping on something that comes up on Kijiji is about your only hope short of an inside track on something.

Slung Blade posted:

I am sure it will :)

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Siochain posted:

Oh it will.
Protip: put a good burn through the roaster before you make do the pig in it. I think you are doing a charcoal/wood roaster, correct? If so, get a nice hot roaring fire stoked in it for a few hours. Throw some bacon in or something to grease it up early.
First cooks always end up funny, so if you "waste" the first cook on something, the pig'll be better for it.

Yeah, charcoal with wood, will definitely do a burn in.

Think i should paint the interior with high heat?

I'm thinking no, but I dunno.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Might be worth just doing a bit of a side to see if it can hold out the time it takes to do the pig before doing the whole thing.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

odiv posted:

I just went through this myself. The $7k-$20k truck market loving sucks right now. As slide bite said, our lovely dollar means Americans are cherry picking all the good trucks, so all the small dealers are selling the garbage that's left at the wholesale auctions. When I was looking for a truck, I tried all the small dealers and the trucks were garbage. The only reasonable ones were on kijiji.

I ended up getting an Avalanche because it's super practical for me. Pulls any trailer I would realistically need to, has a box for stuff I need to toss in, and has an awesome interior for me, the wife and the dogs. Plus the folding midgate gives you options for moving longer stuff as well.

I found mine for $10k, for a 2007 with good mechanicals, perfect interior and some exterior rust. I'm sure you'd do just as well with a private sale. For your private purchase arrangements, that could be tough. I'd offer to help you out but frankly I'm so busy that my wife would kill me if I started shopping for someone else. You could make arrangements with a shop in Edmonton to have a truck inspected, and for the shop to email you an inspection report directly. It would cost some money, but could be worth it in the end.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

slidebite posted:

Make friends with Powershift and troll auctions.

The low CDN$$ has made used truck prices go bonkers unless you luck out. Just this AM on my way to work I saw 3 more haulers loaded with late 00s+ trucks heading south.

If you're scared of an auction, jumping on something that comes up on Kijiji is about your only hope short of an inside track on something.

DrakeriderCa posted:

I just went through this myself. The $7k-$20k truck market loving sucks right now. As slide bite said, our lovely dollar means Americans are cherry picking all the good trucks, so all the small dealers are selling the garbage that's left at the wholesale auctions. When I was looking for a truck, I tried all the small dealers and the trucks were garbage. The only reasonable ones were on kijiji.

Thanks for the feedback, both of you. It sucks to hear that the market is lovely right now, but it's good info to have. The other option is trading in my Sonic and getting a new or newish Acadia or something, but I'm not really too keen on that.

The concern I have with a private sale is that if it's at all a decent deal, jumping through hoops to get me an inspection is probably not worth the seller's time. Why deal with an out of province buyer with demands (that could be a scam) when you can just wait for someone local who has cash in hand?

I'll probably be down in Edmonton in a month or so, so I could try to schedule stuff to coincide with that, but I'm probably going to be there for like two days tops. And also I know gently caress all about trucks so I'd probably end up with a lemon unless I can get it inspected. Ugh, such a hassle. I wonder how much more it'd be to go through a dealer because it might be my only option.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

odiv posted:

Thanks for the feedback, both of you. It sucks to hear that the market is lovely right now, but it's good info to have. The other option is trading in my Sonic and getting a new or newish Acadia or something, but I'm not really too keen on that.

The concern I have with a private sale is that if it's at all a decent deal, jumping through hoops to get me an inspection is probably not worth the seller's time. Why deal with an out of province buyer with demands (that could be a scam) when you can just wait for someone local who has cash in hand?

I'll probably be down in Edmonton in a month or so, so I could try to schedule stuff to coincide with that, but I'm probably going to be there for like two days tops. And also I know gently caress all about trucks so I'd probably end up with a lemon unless I can get it inspected. Ugh, such a hassle. I wonder how much more it'd be to go through a dealer because it might be my only option.

There's a big ritchie bros auction in edmonton on the 7-9th with 174 trucks so far. create an account and look at the auction results for the april and februrary to get an idea of what's going to go in your price range. There's a michener allen auction on september 24th in edmonton that will probably have around 400 trucks and will have 10-25% lower prices. If you can come down for the day before and day of the auction, you'll find something really good within budget.

What to look for and expect, both from auction and if you're setting up private sales:

Chevy: 5.3 half tons go for a premium because they're less problematic and get better fuel economy than the rest, they also have a powertrain warranty to 160k vs 100 of the others so you won't get anything under 160k km for $10k. you can expect 20mpg out of a 5.3. 6.0 3/4 tons don't have as much of a premium because basically every $10k 3/4 ton is going to get 13mpg max. Basically every 4x4 GM in your price range is going to need the transfer case serviced because a clip wears a hole in the case and causes a fluid leak. the 08+ trucks seem to rust the gently caress out in no time though.

Ford: 5.0/3.5 f-150s and 6.2 1/2 tons will be out of your price range, if you're getting an f150 or f250 it will be a 5.4 which can cost a lot of money to deal with if not properly maintained. if it's ticking or violently shaking, it could be the cam phasers which is an expensive fix. The f-150s have a number of problem areas which when properly adressed allow the trucks to run up to 500k+. The first spark plug job could cost $500. the fuel pump driver is aluminum bolted to steel and can corrode, replacement is $150, it's a lottery on whether or not you'll need a rear diff rebuild by 200k which could cost $1000. The steering shaft is non-servicable and replacement is $200. There is a solenoid in the left rear corner of the engine bay that engages the front locking hubs, water can drip in and leak causing it to crack, causing a vacuum leak that causes the front hubs to lock on and off chewing them up, $35 for the solenoid or $1500 for the hubs depending on when it's caught/dealt with. They'll be cheaper than a silverado because of this. You can also expect 13-18mpg out of a 5.4 f-150, in 09 they got a 6 speed which helps a bit. in 2011 they went to the 5.0 which will likely be about $13k with 200k kms. in 09 they also went to a 1 piece spark plug which solves that problem. an 05+ F250 will have a 5 speed and not much changed beyond aesthetics up until 2011 when they went to the 6.2.

Dodge: The 5.7 hemi doesn't have a reputation for longevity. neither do the transmissions they put behind them, by 200k, the front end will likely need a serious service as well. They're the cheapest with the most expensive potential problems.

Depending on what level of luxury you're looking for, you can trade utility/luxury for mileage. looking at an 09-10, $10k will get you a 200k silverado 1500 crew cab, 160k f-150 crew cab, 140k dodge crew cab, or a 100k f-150 extended cab with crank windows. extended cab GM 1/2 tons almost don't exist. reg cabs are usually extreme poverty spec, as in no cruise control or anything.

If your budget is $10k. I would look for an 08-09 f-150 for around $9k leaving $1000 for problems that pop up. in a crew cab you'll be looking at 160k kms, extended cab around 100k kms. rangers aren't worth the premium in my opinion, and dakotas are beyond trash. Going retail, you're looking at 25% more expensive private party, and 50% more expensive from a dealer. Auctions are a bit of a gamble, but it usually pays off.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Holy poo poo, I think you're my new best friend. That's a lot of useful info, thanks!

I don't see anything in there about the smaller Chevy trucks like the Colorado/Canyon. About the same deal as the 1/2 ton Chevies?

I drove a government 2004 Colorado WT in Inuvik about a year ago and it was pretty much perfect, so I'm naively chasing that dream. Crew Cab is a must, not HUGE is a must, and I wouldn't want to go over $10k, but there might be a little wiggle room there for the right vehicle.

I registered for Ritchie Bros and it says I can register to bid online... I'm guessing I'd want to go in person though as you suggest to look at the trucks even though I basically don't know what to look for (I suppose I'd do some reading). I'm not in any particular hurry, so I might check their future auctions.

edit: Oh, funny story, I passed up a 2004 Colorado locally because the seller was throwing up like every possible red flag. It was kind of ridiculous really. No time to get it checked out, but he "swears to god" it's in good shape because his "cousin is a mechanic", let's me take it out for a test drive and then says, "Oh whoops, I should have mentioned it's not insured". Maybe it would have been a good deal, but I'm not about to hand over a bunch of cash under these circumstances.

odiv fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Sep 1, 2016

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Yeah, you don't want to spend $10k sight unseen, but registering lets you go into the auction results and see what sold for how much. I've seen a lot of auctions end up being a battle between 2 online bidders when everyone on site got out early because the truck was trash and the pics didn't show it.

Colorados are fairly uncommon at auctions, and both the i4 and i5 are problematic. There's barely any price difference between a colorado and a silverado 1500, the silverado is a lot more reliable.

What to look for mainly is road rash, on the inner fenders and radiator signs the vehicle lived offroad. A worn steering wheel from being driven with gloves, a worn drivers seat from getting in and out/short trips. Some trucks let you check the hours and idle hours through the trip computer on the dash. on a 5.4 listen for a loud ticking sound or a really rough idle, as both could be cam phasers. Check the glove compartment for any indication of the truck's history, run your finger along the inside of dash above the glove compartment and check for coal dust. feel for a lip on the edge of the front rotors. a truck that's been driven normally shouldn't have one. one that's been towing a lot or driven hard will have a lip. Ritchie bros puts the carfax for everything up, but it's very rarely reliable in my experiences.

That's about all you can really look for at an auction. private party with a test drive you can take it for a drive, listen for clunks, a whining diff, test the 4x4, or take it for a pre-purchase inspection somewhere.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Slung Blade posted:

Yeah, charcoal with wood, will definitely do a burn in.

Think i should paint the interior with high heat?

I'm thinking no, but I dunno.

It'll likely flake off, but I'd do it anyways. Gives it a layer of protection before the smoke/grease form a loving bond of happy flavor. Definitely do a pre-smoke/heat up to burn off any leftover chemical poo poo, and to see how it holds heat, etc.

I'd legit find the cheapest, fattiest chunk of meat you can get that you don't mind "Wasting" and do a big pre-smoke before anything expensive. Lets you get a feel for heat distribution, hold/burn times, etc. And gets that nice greasy-smoke layer going.

gently caress I wish I was out in AB to hang with you guys hahah.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

odiv posted:

More information and assistance has already been supplied than I could ever hope to signficantly add to, but I want to say that this thread is EXACTLY the right thread for this kind of thing - as you've seen. Last year goons in here helped me buy my truck ('97 Ranger, $2500) and I tried to pay it forward by checking out a ~$2000 V8 GM truck from Kijiji - Tommychu still DD's it, a year later, I believe. I haven't seen any replies from iv46vi yet, but he's in Edmonton and knows a thing or two about cars (and more than he's willing to admit about trucks).

On the 5.4 Ford F150 front, that's the work truck I've been abusing lately. Somebody else covers gas & maintenance, my responsibilities mostly concern getting it stuck in the mud as few times as possible (but at least once, accomplished this morning). But I can say that she's a thirsty, thirsty beast, somewhere less than 15mpg makes sense. She's quite comfortable to drive though, long highways are easy with the cruise control and I personally find the seats quite comfortable; in Edmonton traffic she's tall enough to see the construction and other troubles ahead of most of the cars and I can fit her into most parking spaces with enough time & patience. At work, she's pretty capable on the awful, slippery, slimy, heavy-clay mud & old peat that makes up the "roads" on the site - tractor-driving employees keep stopping to ask if I need a tow and except for this morning, the answer is usually "no". For reference, 2007 F150 extended cab 4x4, 5.4 "Triton" and a 6-foot bed. And about 30kg of mud stuffed up into every underbody cavity - I use a trowel to clean her.

If I was shopping for something with the same requirements as you, I think I'd be looking at F150 and Silverados - a buddy in Saskatchewan has one about that age and it's pretty good, too. A V8 is thirsty, but it's nice to have in something like that for several reasons, not least the ready availabilty of waste heat you can pump through the cabin.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Some early 00s Silverados/K1500/K2500 have a hard cold-starting issue that has to do with leaking injectors.

It's a surprisingly expensive job to repair (about $1000 in RockAuto parts, between all eight injectors, the many many intake manifold gaskets, etc) and extremely common.

No real harm to the engine but you could probably use it to hammer a clueless seller.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

AB:AI! I'm picking up another 4 aircraft galley trolleys tonight. One is spoken for. Who wants the others?

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Would these make decent tool carts for a mechanic?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

:siren:it's happening:siren:

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

1500quidporsche posted:

:siren:it's happening:siren:

:toot: Awwwww yisssssss. More Doritos.

Frank Dillinger posted:

Would these make decent tool carts for a mechanic?

I think they're great for such a thing. Also good as a mobile detailing supplies cart. SSW & Slung Blade, what do you guys think?

In other news, my dad just gave me this:

Powershift, how and with what should I polish it with? I think it's going to go on a wall in my house (or at the very least a wall in the garage).

Edit: I may or may not be able to secure a second identical unit - my dad's going to want more than beer for it though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

McTinkerson posted:

In other news, my dad just gave me this:

Powershift, how and with what should I polish it with? I think it's going to go on a wall in my house (or at the very least a wall in the garage).

Edit: I may or may not be able to secure a second identical unit - my dad's going to want more than beer for it though...

That looks like a fan or a stage 1 compressor from a JT8D, so those blades are probably titanium. About the only thing that works is elbow grease, sandpaper (start at 220, then 800, then 2000) and heavy-cut metal polish.

They're also worth kind of a lot on the collector's market too, if you can sell it without getting anyone into trouble that is...