Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Ditocoaf posted:

Okay, someone explain Pepe to me. I've seen the "feels good/bad man" emotes here, but I've had no reference for how the meme has evolved outside the walls of this esteemed forum or otherwise. I just eventually started occasionally seeing image macros that were obviousy dozens of reference layers deep.

What is the conceptual association of this frog?

The original comics, called Boy's Club by Matt Furie, became popular on the internet a while back. 2008 or so. For several years, they laid kind of dormant as an occasionally-referenced meme on 4chan and other such sites. Eventually, that one picture of Pepe looking sad gained a lot of traction as a reaction image in places like 4chan /r9k/, among people who were depressed about social anxiety and such. In other words, just the perfect breeding ground for alt-right types. Pepe just so happened to become a popular meme in the wrong place in the wrong time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Cythereal posted:

And Hillary addressed exactly this a couple days ago, responding with facts.

From a few pages ago, but I missed this, if Hillary talked about solutions for inner cities, I'd like to read it, where was the speech at?

and Trump changes hats for every panel, my immersion is ruined. Subpar!

vorebane fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Aug 28, 2016

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Does the Library of Congress still archive all tweets for future generations? I hope reincarnation is real because I want to see what the future thinks of us.

edit: They probably hate us for ruining the earth and making their life a living hell. Jesus, I hope reincarnation isn't real.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

stone cold posted:

Couldn't they trot out Nikki Haley? For them, she's a twofer token, right?

She got rid of the CSA flag, That makes her a PC coward.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Nikki Haley is more VP material than anything. I don't think the Republicans are ready for an ethnic minority/woman to head up the ticket. Her as VP can appeal to women or minorities, but a white guy as President reassures the base that "don't worry, were still in charge."

One person that gets overlooked for 2020 is Ben Sasse. He's young, charismatic, handsome and intelligent. He's relatively unknown which means he can more easily position himself between outsider and establishment, was one of the earliest members of the Never Trump movement but didn't shoot himself in the foot like Cruz. He seems to have a lot of allies in the party, most notably Mitt Romney, who can bring big donors and endorsements.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Ego-bot posted:

Nikki Haley is more VP material than anything. I don't think the Republicans are ready for an ethnic minority/woman to head up the ticket. Her as VP can appeal to women or minorities, but a white guy as President reassures the base that "don't worry, were still in charge."

One person that gets overlooked for 2020 is Ben Sasse. He's young, charismatic, handsome and intelligent. He's relatively unknown which means he can more easily position himself between outsider and establishment, was one of the earliest members of the Never Trump movement but didn't shoot himself in the foot like Cruz. He seems to have a lot of allies in the party, most notably Mitt Romney, who can bring big donors and endorsements.

He also stood agianst Trump, like openly. I think that unless the GOP can just squash trumpism utterly anyone who was never Trump is definitley not going to be in in 2020.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Ego-bot posted:

His name is Ben's rear end.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

vorebane posted:

and Trump changes hats for every panel, my immersion is ruined. Subpar!

I think there are supposed to be two people (frogs) there, one is trump in panel 2 and the other frog is the engineer.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Crowsbeak posted:

He also stood agianst Trump, like openly. I think that unless the GOP can just squash trumpism utterly anyone who was never Trump is definitley not going to be in in 2020.

Ben Sasse is probably better off waiting until 2024 if Clinton repeats the pattern of "unpopular when trying to get the job, super popular when holding it" and looks like a lock for re-election, anyway. Or run in 2020 to get name rec but don't get the stink on you, and let Cruz fall on the sword.

Of course this was my hot take on Obama in '07.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Sasse is also very, very, dumb and boring

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
He's smart compared to other anti trump people but that's like saying he's the tallest midget in the room.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Antti posted:

Ben Sasse is probably better off waiting until 2024 if Clinton repeats the pattern of "unpopular when trying to get the job, super popular when holding it"

There will be no repeat of the 90s

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Kilroy posted:

quick, someone tell hillary how to do a suplex

:golfclap:

The train has to be dead first tho.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

There will be no repeat of the 90s

Not Bill, Hillary.

Drops to mid forties like clockwork whenever she (or Bill) runs for office.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
It's going to be funny watching the Republicans try to desperately block David loving Duke from candidacy and there could be a non-zero chance he could pull a Trump in 2020. There is no way they can fix the party until they effectively kill it and have it be reborn. Because all the symptoms that led to Trump are festering and rotting right now. No band-aid's going to heal it.

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
David's a bit too outdated to pull a trump. He cares too much about the cohesiveness of his messaging and has actual beliefs.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Axetrain posted:

I think there are supposed to be two people (frogs) there, one is trump in panel 2 and the other frog is the engineer.

That's possible, but the engineer is in panel 3 looking smug to me, and the monologue is by whoever's not Trump being nervous, I don't think that's it. Somone better tell me about Hillary talking about inner city problems, though. :argh:

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
If politics were determined solely by memes, Trump would be having the lead right now.

Trump has locked up the anime, japan and pepe memes, but Hillary can still court the vaporwave and eurobeat memes.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/DrJillStein/status/769691238480146432?s=09

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Freakazoid_ posted:

If politics were determined solely by memes, Trump would be having the lead right now.

Trump has locked up the anime, japan and pepe memes, but Hillary can still court the vaporwave and eurobeat memes.

I could see CNN doing meme trend analysis without a shred of irony or shame by 2020.

Speaking of without shame.

I too am watching Jill like :stare:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

This isn't even dank. It's barely a meme! This is like watching your grandma discover Youtube videos that were viral ten years ago and sending you them in an email forward talking about how funny and amazing it is that Charlie bit his finger.

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Also shouldn't she not be using a laptop online because she believes that wi-fi makes you sick?

Unless the wi-fi cancer already got to the "consistency" part of her brain.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

These loss edits are getting...ahh never mind

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Quick question but who are the potential democrat candidates going on from 2020?

As an additional question there seem to be a lot of "Very Serious People"getting worried about economic stuff, that is none election related, in the US. Is there a possibility that, if there is another crash, the blame will fall square on the Democrats?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Josef bugman posted:

Quick question but who are the potential democrat candidates going on from 2020?

As an additional question there seem to be a lot of "Very Serious People"getting worried about economic stuff, that is none election related, in the US. Is there a possibility that, if there is another crash, the blame will fall square on the Democrats?

The blame has been falling on the Democrats for years, one of the right's favorite strategies is accusing the Democrats of doing exactly what they're doing. Not that the Democrats can't be incompetent morons as well.

Also these Very Serious People becoming Suddenly Concerned about the economy when Hillary is likely to win is totally election-related. That's like the worst possible angle of attack though since Trump's finances are :lol:.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Josef bugman posted:

It's safe to assume Clinton will run for re-election unless something serious happens to her, so we're talking eight years from now. In 2000 no one had heard of Barack Obama.

Tim Kaine will probably in the mix there somewhere, probably the people who were in the VP shortlist this time around (Tom Perez, the Castros, however Warren will be 75), but eight years is a long time for some new people to hopefully emerge.

2024 is going to be very interesting if we've had 16 years of Democratic presidents, continued congressional gridlock and a regional Republican party unable to get 270 EV.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

One of the biggest scams ever was convincing the majority of the country that conservative economics is the Grown Up Serious position. It alludes to the household example that maturely doesn't waste its money of luxuries in order to make sure important things are paid for. However conservative economics pretty much do exactly the opposite with important things like paying for infrastructure, honoring pensions, welfare, social security, medicare, etc being cut in order to make sure that rich companies and people are able to hoard money in order to spend it on ridiculous displays of wealth or just sit on it like a dragon. It also is mistaken that the only way that the economy can be good is if the rich are allowed to run free despite constant real life evidence to the contrary.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

If you want to map conservative economics into household economics, the Republican orthodoxy is basically the same as dad not going to work to earn money (cutting taxes), not taking a mortgage at a negative interest rate to stop renting (fearing DEBT), not buying the car the mom needs to go to work (infrastructure), not sending the kid to college despite having the money (education) and having the kid sleep out in the cold naked because there's no room in the house (healthcare and welfare).

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Radish posted:

One of the biggest scams ever was convincing the majority of the country that conservative economics is the Grown Up Serious position. It alludes to the household example that maturely doesn't waste its money of luxuries in order to make sure important things are paid for. However conservative economics pretty much do exactly the opposite with important things like paying for infrastructure, honoring pensions, welfare, social security, medicare, etc being cut in order to make sure that rich companies and people are able to hoard money in order to spend it on ridiculous displays of wealth or just sit on it like a dragon. It also is mistaken that the only way that the economy can be good is if the rich are allowed to run free despite constant real life evidence to the contrary.

Frugalness isn't really a bad thing, but yeah there's a difference between that and being cheap, especially on a country-wide or vast-wealth level.

EDIT:

Antti posted:

If you want to map conservative economics into household economics, the Republican orthodoxy is basically the same as dad not going to work to earn money (cutting taxes), not taking a mortgage at a negative interest rate to stop renting (fearing DEBT), and not buying the car the mom needs to go to work (infrastructure), and not sending the kid to college despite having the money (education).

Good analogy, but you forgot "spending what little money he has on his increasingly ornate and pointless gun cabinet"

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Radish posted:

In retrospect tricking the public into thinking that household debt is the same thing as sovereign debt was loving brilliant on their part.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Antti posted:

It's safe to assume Clinton will run for re-election unless something serious happens to her, so we're talking eight years from now.

Chelsea Clinton.

After that I think either Sasha or Malia should be old enough to run.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

Chelsea Clinton.

After that I think either Sasha or Malia should be old enough to run.

Ivanka Trump.

Seriously speaking, while I think the "hur dur dynasties" argument is a canard when it comes to Hillary, second generation is where I draw the line.

Also Michelle would outright not let them run. Like, she'd figure out a way to stop it. My dad actually closed the family business just to make sure I never take it up because the work sucked.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Crabtree posted:

It's going to be funny watching the Republicans try to desperately block David loving Duke from candidacy and there could be a non-zero chance he couldI've s pull a Trump in 2020. There is no way they can fix the party until they effectively kill it and have it be reborn. Because all the symptoms that led to Trump are festering and rotting right now. No band-aid's going to heal it.

I've said it before and I'm happy to repeat myself: the Republican establishment has been making this bed for at least 35 years (and it probably gets closer to 40+). They've been dogwhistling for cheap votes ever since the Nixon and Reagan eras, but the thing is... a dogwhistle is, to continue the analogy, a training implement. Eventually, the trainee will begin responding to actual commands, or even the anticipation of commands, faster than they will the whistle itself.

Donald Trump was just the first dude to come in and start barking commands now that basically two full American generations have undergone training, and the Republican establishment is just dumbfounded that people actually picked up on what the dogwhistles meant. Who knew?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

TheScott2K posted:

In retrospect tricking the public into thinking that household debt is the same thing as sovereign debt was loving brilliant on their part.

Yeah it's really saying something that conservatives of old were pretty clever as evil as they were while the current crop of idiots are just coasting along since they were raised as true believers.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Antti posted:

It's safe to assume Clinton will run for re-election unless something serious happens to her, so we're talking eight years from now. In 2000 no one had heard of Barack Obama.

Tim Kaine will probably in the mix there somewhere, probably the people who were in the VP shortlist this time around (Tom Perez, the Castros, however Warren will be 75), but eight years is a long time for some new people to hopefully emerge.

2024 is going to be very interesting if we've had 16 years of Democratic presidents, continued congressional gridlock and a regional Republican party unable to get 270 EV.

Oh, I meant that as in "after the 2020 election". But that should be interesting, would like to see some new blood making it's way through. Biden would be a bit too old as well at that time wouldn't he?

Yinlock posted:

The blame has been falling on the Democrats for years, one of the right's favorite strategies is accusing the Democrats of doing exactly what they're doing. Not that the Democrats can't be incompetent morons as well.

Also these Very Serious People becoming Suddenly Concerned about the economy when Hillary is likely to win is totally election-related. That's like the worst possible angle of attack though since Trump's finances are :lol:.

It wasn't in things like that, its more like reading articles in the economist and they seemed to be having nerves related to the US mortgage/ housing market. I know they are very much VSP but they are certainly not in the Trump tank.

I would simply prefer if stronger safeguards were in place in some areas, or if there is another bubble forming that this time the blame falls on the people at the top.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Aug 28, 2016

Pebble and the Penguin
Sep 9, 2010

You're going out there a silly, hysterical, screaming queen, but you're coming back a great, big, passing-for-straight Broadway star!
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/769724556949020672

Imagine being so stupid and uninformed about how our government works that you think the president just flips a bunch of switches to control all domestic policy.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Knight of Arboria posted:

Imagine being so stupid and uninformed about how our government works that you think the president just flips a bunch of switches to control all domestic policy.

Over the last 4 years I think it may have been better if it had been something like that.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Josef bugman posted:

Over the last 4 years I think it may have been better if it had been something like that.

Frankly, if congressional gridlock continues in the way it has for the past six years for another 2-4 years of a Clinton presidency, it may have to come to that.

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

The irony of Donald Trump framing debt as bad is hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

AP is making a strong case for the False Balance award of the cycle. First the Clinton Foundation thing, now this hilarious tweet:

https://twitter.com/AP/status/769635705047937024

If you wanted to just make an example map of the interactivity, do something silly like make all states bigger than 20 EV red and smaller than 20 blue.

The actual base map on the AP site has Clinton at 269, 78 tossup, Trump 191.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Aug 28, 2016

• Locked thread