Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

Manatee Cannon posted:

I remember getting phanpy at the very beginning of the game by setting my game timer to morning and crawling through the grass at the little patch you can access that leads back to the eight gym city I can't remember the name of.

Those Phanpy are a pain. They're incredibly rare, have a real bad catch rate, and will run if they break outta your ball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Ruggington posted:

if it's a gen 4 game togepi is actually usable and becomes good

i used it in gen 2 and it was good there too. but yes its especially good in gen 4

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

I'm sick of the hoppip hate in this thread. Its perfect and precious

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
I love Jumpluff and its unique typing. Pangoro is a mediocre pokemon with an absurdly awesome movepool. Hope this helps.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Gen 2 has many strong designs and many weak fighters. You can get a Phanpy early in Crystal because it spawns on Route 46, but it doesn't spawn there in any of the other Johto games.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Bongo Bill posted:

Gen 2 has many strong designs

Espeon and Tyranitar aren't "many"

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Wobbuffet and Shuckle??

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Here's a list of the good POkemon from gen 2

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Pok%C3%A9mon_by_index_number_%28Generation_II%29

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Ka0 posted:

I love Jumpluff and its unique typing. Pangoro is a mediocre pokemon with an absurdly awesome movepool. Hope this helps.

pangoro is a way more usable pokemon than jumpluff and had a mediocre movepool until oras gave it decent stab and coverage

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I've always been disappointed that Glitch Egg never broke out in a big way popularity-wise

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
A pure ???-type are you serious? that would've broken the meta-game in half back in the day, some bans don't need to be justified

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
pokemon variation in competitive is a lot better in singles than in VGC. in VGC you have like an absolute base tier that can't really be broken (nobody was winning worlds w/o utilizing both restricted spots and even then they're using one of the better mons not lugia for example) and then you get the weird meta choices that look super creative but in effect are often just as "rare" as a C-rank would be in say OU because of how often ppl realize it (raichu + hitmontop fit this). they seem like crazier choices but u have to remember theres no 100% viability score, things are viable based on the metagame around them to a degree.

in a standard singles ladder (so say ORAS OU) theres pretty generally 3 tiers of what u can expect to find. low ladder is usually ppl playing with gimmick teams or people that know next to nothing on how to play (probably younger folks) so youll see straight nonsense often there. this is something like where u find 6 pretty rear end mons for the environment they're in (examples things like lapras or non-mega gardevoir, etc.) you'll see a ton of variation at this stage but its mostly ppl with no idea whats going on.

the middle tier is where u see most of the standard stuff spammed a lot. folks who have figured out the game and understand how to play, have made a "good team" and it works for them better than previous attempts so they use it over and over and over. its also why you'll find a guy at like 1500 elo on the ladder with 1k+ games played, a terrible rank to be in at that place. he realized a sort of working formula and sticks to it religiously.

at the top typically you will find good teams (so a lot of lando, ferro, etc.) with stranger things mixed in specifically in mind to counter other stuff or provide a threat that the other team didn't expect to account for. one i remember liking the best was when a friend of mine topped UU ladder w/ Ursaring, w/o appropriate support around it Ursaring is pretty garbage but he made it work.

when u move past the ladder setting into the top of tournament play it starts to vary person to person. someone like cosine180 will use the most boring standard poo poo over and over and over and it will work bc he plays really well, so even if u come loaded with a counterteam he generally has experience playing vs that. someone like hellpowna, a really good DPP player, will bring something that looks like a gimmick team but functions well bc he's put thought into it. most people will fall somewhere between that spectrum, but remember the reward for coming up with a creative team is generally higher because even a slightly substandard mon in the hands of a good player is usually able to pull its weight.

the relative ability of the players involved plays a big part in it too. most ppl that get annoyed with seeing the same stuff over and over think a lot about stall - aka spamming the "perfected" stall teams that counter as much of the meta as possible. you dont see stall too often in tournament play where the general level is high enough that anyone shoudl realistically know how to beat a stall team, and the stall team doesn't have enough options to outplay at that point so they're usually left playing catchup.

this vids a bit long but goes into the thought process for playing vs stall and features some lesser seen mons (slurpuff, CM chandelure, mega sceptile) if you're interested at all: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0cG7v0ff2k

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Do wild Pokemon not run out of pp in gen 1? Took forever to catch a lvl 3 jigglypuff because it chain slept me :doh:

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

no enemy pokemon run out of pp in gen 1

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Is there any in game reason to get this Z Ring thing?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Rygar201 posted:

Is there any in game reason to get this Z Ring thing?

if you are a mom or a dad then sure but your kids would probably like one of those life-size pokemon pillows/dolls they have at pokemon center instead more

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

The White Dragon posted:

if you are a mom or a dad then sure but your kids would probably like one of those life-size pokemon pillows/dolls they have at pokemon center instead more

I am a dad and I straight up can't wait for my oldest to learn to read so we can play pokemon together :3:

She already 'plays pokemon' with me, my just pressing buttons on an old DS lite I have laying around

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

AlphaKretin posted:

Johto only has 100 new Pokemon, a decent chunk of which are evolutions/babies of Kanto Pokemon. You might want to rethink this run.

I'm picking up ones that have new evolutions, like Onix and Slowpoke, and I got a Togepi as well.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Spatula City posted:

ooof, yeah, you basically have to use some Gen I Pokemon if you want to not have a Bad Time in the early going. Well, or you start with Cyndaquil and grind quite a bit, because you'll need some HP to tank a U-Turn (if we're talking HGSS).
I guess you could also grind up Mareep till it evolves and rely on Thundershock & Flaaffy's okay bulk to carry you through. Scyther is part Flying, after all, and does not like special attacks much.
but generally the solution for Bugsy is Geodude or Spearow.

hmmm, I'm thinking about HGSS Gen II Pokemon availability.

Before Gym 1
Chikorita/Cyndaquil/Totodile
Hoothoot
Sentret
Spinarak
Ledyba
Mareep (Primo)
Wooper (Primo)
Slugma (Primo)
Dunsparce (but really, only feasible after, when you have Rock Smash)
Unown :buddy:
Crobat (if you grind like crazy!)

Before Gym 2
Togepi
Hoppip (lol)
Steelix (if you trade it to a game that has a metal coat, attach it, & trade back, lol)
Slowking (same as above, but with King's Rock)

Before Gym 3
Pineco
Heracross
Aipom
Yanma
Sunkern (lol)
Bellossom (National Park-won Sun Stone)
Scizor (same as w/Steelix & Slowking)

Before Gym 4
Sudowoodo
Espeon
Umbreon
Stantler
Marill (rare as gently caress)
Snubbull
Miltank
Corsola (rare as gently caress, need Good Rod)
Qwilfish (rare as gently caress, need Good Rod)
Chinchou
Girafarig
Entei & Raikou (theoretically)

Before Gym 5
Politoed (same as Slowking)
Shuckle
Smeargle
Natu
Mantine

Before Gym 7?
Misdreavus (Safari Zone)
Murkrow (Safari Zone)
Larvitar (Safari Zone)

Before Gym 8
Kingdra (same as w/ Slowking, Steelix, and Scizor, but with Dragon Scale)
Delibird
Swinub
Remoraid
Phanpy
Teddiursa
Gligar
Skarmory
Wobbuffet

Pre-E4
Tyrogue/Hitmontop
Lugia or Ho-Oh

Post E-4
Houndour
Sneasel
Ho-Oh or Lugia

lol I'm so glad Nintendo never did anything like this again.

Where the gently caress do you get Slugma that early

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

mabels big day posted:

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Primo#Generation_IV

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Ka0 posted:

yare yare... you've really pissed me off now...
/

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Ka0 posted:

I love Jumpluff and its unique typing.

tropius and skymin cough nervously

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

mabels big day posted:

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Primo
http://www.filb.de/games/tools/aikotoba?l=en

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

mandatory lesbian posted:

tropius and skymin cough nervously

rowlet hoots softly

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

wait wait wait wait

hold the gently caress up

psyduck is not psychic type??

???????????????

:psyboom:

Nethilia
Oct 17, 2012

Hullabalooza '96
Easily Depressed
Teenagers Edition

Phweengee posted:

A couple of rapidly expiring Darkrai codes. Please enjoy.

The actual codes themselves don't expire til November. The cards are just gone from stores.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Kerrrrrrr posted:

wait wait wait wait

hold the gently caress up

psyduck is not psychic type??

???????????????

:psyboom:

smh if you don't have all gen one typings memorized by now

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
when i was a young boy i had the pokemon field guide and it said golduck was water/psychic and i was incensed by it

i'm pretty sure it was an official nintendo thing too lol, i remember it was green and had all 150 pokemon in it

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

i had no clue that guy actually gave you anything worthwhile. never bothered with him. weird that he gives mareep and wooper, i'm pretty sure you can catch those before the first gym anyway

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

this guy is my new favorite character

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

which one

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

oddium posted:

which one

the one in the middle

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

mabels big day posted:

i had no clue that guy actually gave you anything worthwhile. never bothered with him. weird that he gives mareep and wooper, i'm pretty sure you can catch those before the first gym anyway

It's an RPG, you should always talk to everyone until you exhaust their dialog

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

pik_d posted:

It's an RPG, you should always talk to everyone until you exhaust their dialog

idk, I never liked the NPCs who ask you to tell them something, especially in gen 3 when they had you choose from that list of words to come up with a "trendy saying". I thought it was something like that and I didn't want to try and figure it out

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

mabels big day posted:

slugma is the only one worth getting, well, the only one you can't get immediately after the first gen anyway, slugma isn't exactly amazing

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

mabels big day posted:

the one in the middle

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

Nethilia posted:

The actual codes themselves don't expire til November. The cards are just gone from stores.

Nope. You're thinking about the Arceus cards that were just given out. The Darkrai cards were given out back in May. On the back it says the codes expire August 31.

tom bob-ombadil fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Aug 28, 2016

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

mandatory lesbian posted:

when i was a young boy i had the pokemon field guide and it said golduck was water/psychic and i was incensed by it

i'm pretty sure it was an official nintendo thing too lol, i remember it was green and had all 150 pokemon in it

I remember how badly the official guides were written back then.

The one I had for G/S claimed Magneton got worse between R/B/Y and G/S because when it got the steel typing it lost speed so Electrode was what you should be using.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
When Kurt wants you to wait a day, is that an arbitrary amount of in-game time, or a real world 24 hours? Because I've got him making me five Heavy Balls and I gave him the apricorns about a week ago, but haven't played HGSS since then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Zodack posted:

When Kurt wants you to wait a day, is that an arbitrary amount of in-game time, or a real world 24 hours? Because I've got him making me five Heavy Balls and I gave him the apricorns about a week ago, but haven't played HGSS since then.

Fairly sure just a real world day, because imagine having to play or keep the game running for 24 hours every time you wanted to craft new balls