Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Actually, the NX is going to be CAD. It is every Loss.jpg edit combined together into a sentient being of meme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I'm fairly sure Nintendo already came up with something that does that. They named it the Miiverse.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
here's your new son: the NX Lad

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The game boy was a great name. I miss it and hope they can have as good a name for a thing again

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!

Real hurthling! posted:

The game boy was a great name. I miss it and hope they can have as good a name for a thing again

The Nintendo game man.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Soul Glo posted:

I hope the NX has the right kind of RAM

Good news!

Latest rumours point to the NX having RAMBUS™ RDRAM.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

But they can't use gendered names on their devic-- I got it! Nintendo Person.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Actually, the NX is going to be CAD. It is every Loss.jpg edit combined together into a sentient being of meme.

Incorrect. This actually means that you can only buy the system in Canadian dollars, which means it's 20% more expensive than it bloody well should be because gently caress Canada. :canada:

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Here, i'll do Nintendo's marketing for them, provided the rumors are true:

Capitalize on the Pokemon GO thing, and call it the 'Nintendo GO.' The marketing slogan is 'Play wherever you GO.' Your commercial is a person playing something on the tv, disconnecting the handheld and continuing the game from home on the bus, and then getting home and plugging it back in to the dock and continuing the game from the bus. Emphasize that it's the same games, no matter what 'mode' you have the system in.

There, Nintendo. A clear, concise message that leaves no doubt about what the NX is. Feel free to do none of that, because you're Nintendo.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I don't know, I thought the Wii's marketing campaign with the "Wii would like to play" stuff was pretty clever.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Martinpale posted:

Here, i'll do Nintendo's marketing for them, provided the rumors are true:

Capitalize on the Pokemon GO thing, and call it the 'Nintendo GO.' The marketing slogan is 'Play wherever you GO.' Your commercial is a person playing something on the tv, disconnecting the handheld and continuing the game from home on the bus, and then getting home and plugging it back in to the dock and continuing the game from the bus. Emphasize that it's the same games, no matter what 'mode' you have the system in.

There, Nintendo. A clear, concise message that leaves no doubt about what the NX is. Feel free to do none of that, because you're Nintendo.

It's not exactly original, though. I mean, there's already Hitman GO, Tomb Raider GO, Lara Croft GO etc. Even before Pokémon, there was Angry Birds Go! (Not to mention CS:GO...)

It might not be in Nintendo's interest to mix the NX with those.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Rexroom posted:

It's not exactly original, though. I mean, there's already Hitman GO, Tomb Raider GO, Lara Croft GO etc. Even before Pokémon, there was Angry Birds Go! (Not to mention CS:GO...)

It might not be in Nintendo's interest to mix the NX with those.

The biggest problem is, when Nintendo does 'original', you end up with 'what the gently caress is a WiiU? Is it a controller for the Wii?'

It doesn't have to be 'GO', but the name has to clearly say what the system is, especially after all the WiiU marketing confusion. 'Playstation 4 is the 4th Playstation.' 'Nintendo DS has Dual Screens' and so on.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Martinpale posted:

Capitalize on the Pokemon GO thing, and call it the 'Nintendo GO.'

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

MechaCrash posted:

I don't know, I thought the Wii's marketing campaign with the "Wii would like to play" stuff was pretty clever.

Yah the unimposing Japanese businessman asking to play with you was a lot better that the WiiU marketing campaign which was an authoritative sumo pointing and shouting "U, buy this!"

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Martinpale posted:

The biggest problem is, when Nintendo does 'original', you end up with 'what the gently caress is a WiiU? Is it a controller for the Wii?'

It doesn't have to be 'GO', but the name has to clearly say what the system is, especially after all the WiiU marketing confusion. 'Playstation 4 is the 4th Playstation.' 'Nintendo DS has Dual Screens' and so on.

I think the Wii U was just a uniquely terrible mis-step in advertising. They emphasized the controller, barely showed the actual console, chose poor examples for what the new system can do (kinda hard to see a graphical difference in Mario generations with the way the commercial was shot and all that), and to top it all off the name Wii U fits the same pattern as the various accessories (Wii Balance Board, Wii Remote, et cetera), all of which added up to exactly the sort of "so it's just a new controller, then?" confusion that you describe.

I'm not saying Nintendo can't or won't gently caress up like that with the NX, but I am reasonably sure they learned their lesson and will not make the same mistakes this time. They already learned from their "rush it out the door, then have no games for the first year" gently caress up. Even if the new name does not adequately convey what it is, it will hopefully at least convey "this is a new system, not an add-on to an old one."

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Martinpale posted:

I think the problem for that was more how they marketed the Wii U, because a lot of people seemed to think it was just a controller for the Wii.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

no see nintendo fucks up their marketing EVERY time because nintendo smh. if only i was in charge

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

romanowski posted:

no see nintendo fucks up their marketing EVERY time because nintendo smh. if only i was in charge

If only we could combine the Xbox One hate thread and the Wii U hate thread, we could get the best selling and designed console ever.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Raserys posted:

Why is the NX sad :(

His father died before he even came out

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

They should call it the Nokia NGAGE to keep things clear for consumers.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

elf help book posted:

If only we could combine the Xbox One hate thread and the Wii U hate thread, we could get the best selling and designed console ever.

Pfft, it's easy to make a good console. Just put good stuff in and don't put bad stuff in.

Like the wrong ram.

Or motion controls.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Wheany posted:

Pfft, it's easy to make a good console. Just put good stuff in and don't put bad stuff in.

Like the wrong ram.

Or motion controls.

Hey console making morons: HIRE THIS GOON

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Wheany posted:

Like the wrong ram.

Or motion controls.

You might like the Xbone, then.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Wheany posted:

Like the wrong ram.

Or motion controls.

Motion controls own, get outta here

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Raserys posted:

Why is the NX sad :(

It's so lonely as the only good console on the market.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Motion controls own, get outta here

Motion sick: the legend of goodwill's wii mountain

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Here Nintendo, let me do your marketing for you: *lists a bunch of stupid, terrible ideas* was that so hard, guys? :rolleyes:

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
are you saying that goons.... have bad ideas???

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
Here is my marketing idea: Make ads and play them before popular Youtube videos. Thanks.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Newest Rumor:

Nintendo is satisfied with the choice of not marketing their new console and will just release it whenever with absolutely no fanfare. They quite literally do not care anymore about communicating with fans of their product.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Nintendo NX - It's the NeXt Console

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Reiley posted:

Nintendo NX - It's the NeXt Console

nintendo NeX US

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

MechaCrash posted:

I think the Wii U was just a uniquely terrible mis-step in advertising. They emphasized the controller, barely showed the actual console, chose poor examples for what the new system can do (kinda hard to see a graphical difference in Mario generations with the way the commercial was shot and all that), and to top it all off the name Wii U fits the same pattern as the various accessories (Wii Balance Board, Wii Remote, et cetera), all of which added up to exactly the sort of "so it's just a new controller, then?" confusion that you describe.

I'm not saying Nintendo can't or won't gently caress up like that with the NX, but I am reasonably sure they learned their lesson and will not make the same mistakes this time. They already learned from their "rush it out the door, then have no games for the first year" gently caress up. Even if the new name does not adequately convey what it is, it will hopefully at least convey "this is a new system, not an add-on to an old one."

But they already had done all of that exact same stuff with the 3DS only a year or two beforehand?

I have to congratulate them though, they've done an excellent job of keeping all their stuff under wraps. It took us a long time to figure out the basics of the design specs, though rumors had been going around for awhile and we still aren't in any way sure about button/controller layouts, what the screen will be able to do, etc. Of course that might not actually be to their advantage in the long run.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE
http://m.ign.com/articles/2016/08/26/nintendo-nx-detachable-controllers-will-reportedly-feature-motion-sensing-advanced-vibration

Not sure if posted yet. Not a super surprising rumor but I like it nonetheless.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
I'm going to go insane if we don't get a reveal date this week. Ugh.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Barry Convex posted:

better prepare, then

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Barry Convex posted:

Its not even September champ

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

zolthorg posted:

Its not even September champ

yikes. I gotta renew my vehicle registration!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

a.lo posted:

yikes. I gotta renew my vehicle registration!

You. You know something, don't you? 'Fess up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

You. You know something, don't you? 'Fess up.

Mario Kart GO will feature hatching item boxes and fake item box lures and catching all 151 Mario and Friends Augmented Reality Kart Racers by chasing them down on the IRL roads in your own vehicle and using your smartphone camera to see them and throw bananas.

After you beat them in a 'Street Pass Race' you can use that driver in Mario Kart 8.5 Birth by Sleep Final European Extreme Remix which will run on the NX with perfect frame-timing aka pure 1080'60

• Locked thread