Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Chichevache posted:

Unfortunately they're related to my girlfriend

Sever.

No amount of sexing is worth that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
I promise I will go on a ride with them soon. I don't have a go pro though :sigh:. I'm pretty sure I'd rather do it without Lady Chiche on the back. I'd rather not risk a pillion on a ride I know will be stupid.

They're hella mad at me right now because the 100 pound dog they keep in a trailer has more fun when we take it on walks and stuff when it stays with us. Now it doesn't want to go home with them and they have to drag it out of the house. :laffo:

Speaking of having a beast that's too big for them, the rider on the Gladius wants to switch up to a Aprilia Mille without even having learned how to turn.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

HotCanadianChick posted:

Sever.

No amount of sexing is worth that.

This isn't even the bad side of her family. :cripes:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

This isn't even the bad side of her family. :cripes:

Double sever the family, keep the girlfriend.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Chris Knight posted:

Double sever the family, keep the girlfriend.

Working on it. She's still doing her master's degree (black sheep of the family lmao) but when she's done and we are finally making money that should be the end of them.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

If you're in the LA area I'll ride with you sometime. I don't have any bike friends here. I'm real slow tho. I live in Ventura county so my weekend leisure rides are usually on the 150 and stuff. Other than that I'm just a commuter

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Chichevache posted:

Working on it. She's still doing her master's degree (black sheep of the family lmao) but when she's done and we are finally making money that should be the end of them.

Do what I did and move with her across the country. Being half a continent away minimizes family issues.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Day Man posted:

Do what I did and move with her across the country. Being half a continent away minimizes family issues.

This.

His family is in PA, mine is spattered across the south. Its peaceful. :D Hopefully in 4-6 years we can go to continents away from relatives instead of KMs.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

A MIRACLE posted:

If you're in the LA area I'll ride with you sometime. I don't have any bike friends here. I'm real slow tho. I live in Ventura county so my weekend leisure rides are usually on the 150 and stuff. Other than that I'm just a commuter

I'd love that, man. I'm in San Fernando Valley, Northridge area. I definitely wanted to start doing some goon rides now that I am back in Socal. And a nice leisurely one would be good, I'm not looking to trash my bike until I actually have a spare.

Day Man posted:

cursedshitbox posted:

This.

His family is in PA, mine is spattered across the south. Its peaceful. :D Hopefully in 4-6 years we can go to continents away from relatives instead of KMs.

:agreed: California is too expensive for us anyway. We've been considering Colorado.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?
I've never had a bike that leaked and I'm not that good about engine maintenance. how hosed up do you have to be to get a fucker to leak?

disclaimer: the cm400t that i left in the garage for months without putting stabil in it (carb seals failed)

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Verge posted:

I've never had a bike that leaked and I'm not that good about engine maintenance. how hosed up do you have to be to get a fucker to leak?

disclaimer: the cm400t that i left in the garage for months without putting stabil in it (carb seals failed)

I guarantee this dude doesn't replace his crush washers if/when he does oil changes.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Chichevache posted:

I guarantee this dude doesn't replace his crush washers if/when he does oil changes.

I don't and never had a leak.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I just did my first crush-washer-reusing oil change, I'm a bad motherfucker with no need for rules :c00lbert:

I'll replace it next time i promise

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?

Chichevache posted:

it's so cheap though! i do forget sometimes...

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

So I am 99% sure I have either racetech emulators or intimators or something in the front end of my SV from the previous owner. The forks are very planted and appear to also be resprung for closer to my weight. Given how much everyone complains about stock SV suspension, mine is working just too good to be stock. I have not had the forks apart to check the specifics though.

When I hit a bump that really rapidly expands and re-compresses the forks, I hear a clunk come from the forks. There are no apparent ill effects from this, just a noise. Is this a known thing with emulators (I've never used them before), or should I be tearing the forks apart to figure it out?

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Aug 29, 2016

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Showa forks do it. My sv makes that noise too.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Springs hitting the inner tube?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I've had plenty of Showa forks that were quiet, but it seems you are right in that this is a known SV issue and not really an issue other than being annoying.

http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66278#/topics/66278?_k=qjgisg

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

So I am 99% sure I have either racetech emulators or intimators or something in the front end of my SV from the previous owner. The forks are very planted and appear to also be resprung for closer to my weight. Given how much everyone complains about stock SV suspension, mine is working just too good to be stock. I have not had the forks apart to check the specifics though.

When I hit a bump that really rapidly expands and re-compresses the forks, I hear a clunk come from the forks. There are no apparent ill effects from this, just a noise. Is this a known thing with emulators (I've never used them before), or should I be tearing the forks apart to figure it out?

My ancient rebuilt 41mm damper rod Showas with Race Tech GVE's and .90 springs do not clunk. You can check what's in there without rebuilding the forks or tearing the front end apart. Unload the front end. Remove the fork cap, spacer, washers and springs (turn the spring as you pull it out to help get the oil off it). Stick a long grabber down the fork tube, you should be able to grab the emulator and pull it out, without the spring it is just sitting on top of the damper rod.

MS Paint, engage:

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
Question for you guys: Going to swap the SV to to a bar soon and heard it was a good idea to fill an inner tube with sand and insert it into the bar for help with vibes. Is this true?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Yooo I'm doing the same. Just based on physics, it should help. Gotta get a pretty thin bicycle tube for it though, my first one ended up way too thicc and burst sand all over. My renthals came with these little plugs 4" from both ends, pull those out first.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

XYLOPAGUS posted:

Question for you guys: Going to swap the SV to to a bar soon and heard it was a good idea to fill an inner tube with sand and insert it into the bar for help with vibes. Is this true?

it's an option for sure. personally I have a thumper and a big vtwin (tuono) and bar end weights/barkbusters have been sufficient to kill the worst of the vibes.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I did the inner tube full of sand thing back in the spring and it's super nice. I think I posted it in here or the what did you do to your ride today thread. Really kills the high-frequency buzz that makes your hands tingle after a ride.

Yeah, here it is:

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Last night I put on new Euro bars, a new mirror, and rebuilt the left indicator.
Before:

After:

Obviously I need to take some poo poo off my keychain and repaint my clamps and triple.

Since the new bars are longer than stock, I expected vibration to be worse, at least in amplitude. They're also not tapped for weights, which means my options for universal bar end weights that are heavy enough are pretty limited and expensive. Also don't want to make them any wider than I have to. So I decided to make my own bar snake. Turns out a standard road bike tube fits perfectly inside a 7/8" bar. I ziptied off one end, snaked a wire through, and dragged the whole thing through the bar. Then I got a funnel and filled it with sand and packed it all in and ziptied it off on the other end. They're now 1150 g, compared to ~450 g empty and the stock bars were 747 g. Hopefully it works.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Please use a bar with a crossbar, other options are shameful

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
What is even the purpose of a crossbar

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Speaking of handlebars, my only experience is with clipons. Eventually I'll be buying a new bike. I get that clipons are awful and I need bars, but can anyone give me some examples of why that is? I don't hate my clipons.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Lynza posted:

Speaking of handlebars, my only experience is with clipons. Eventually I'll be buying a new bike. I get that clipons are awful and I need bars, but can anyone give me some examples of why that is? I don't hate my clipons.

Clipons are not inherently bad; the reason they generally suck for the street is that there is very little to no rise (height) to them and they are narrow, which makes you lean over farther which is uncomfortable and leads to the steering being twitchy. Handlebars are mounted on top of the triple so they have more rise and are straighter and wider making it really easy to be comfortable and give good control over the bike. There's also a plethora of handlebar options making it easy to get exactly the amount of height, width, and pullback you prefer. There are such things as riser clipons, or risers for existing clipons, but the options are more expensive and limited. Some bikes come stock with tall clipons, like my Hawk GT, which are like 5" tall, so no risers are needed.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
You have a Ninja 300 or something don't you Lynza? Those aren't real clipon clipons are they? They're more like clipon-style risers, which isn't a lot different from a low bar in terms of ergos.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Renaissance Robot posted:

You can stick one of those foamy bar protector pool noodle things on it and pretend you're 12 years old and riding a BMX bike :madmax:

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Yeah, it's a 300. I don't know enough about handlebars to know if they're real ones or not. My bike is mostly stock, excepting some shorty adjustable clutch/brake levers I added, grip warmers, and some little convex mirrors so I can see if stuff is behind me at a distance.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Ninjas (250,300..500?) have those pseudo-clipons that are bolted directly to the triple instead of the fork tubes:

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
Yep, that's mine for sure.

For reference, I'm strongly considering an FJ-07 as my next bike.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

I don't know if this is a serious question or not but the purpose of a crossbar is to keep thinner diameter handlebars from flexing. You won't normally see it on a tapered bar because they are thicker at the clamp and then taper to the thinner size at the controls.

edit: I should add that that's for street bikes. In dirt applications they are there to keep your bars from getting hosed up when you inevitably bin the thing.

GabbiLB fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Aug 29, 2016

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Much different ergos than your 300. Cycle Ergos doesn't have the FJ-07 yet but here is the FJ-09 for comparison (5'5" rider):

There's a lot of pullback in those bars, so it's a very upright riding position.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein

Gorson posted:

Much different ergos than your 300. Cycle Ergos doesn't have the FJ-07 yet but here is the FJ-09 for comparison (5'5" rider):

There's a lot of pullback in those bars, so it's a very upright riding position.

And of course I realized the 07 may or may not even be available outside Europe. I sat on an FJ-09 at the dealership a few months back and really liked it. I haven't ridden one yet, though. No sense in doing it until I'm closer to buying, anyway. I also really liked the Versys, so that's another option. Both of them appear to have standard handlebars, so I guess I'll figure it out.

Much thanks for the info, by the way!

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Lynza posted:

And of course I realized the 07 may or may not even be available outside Europe. I sat on an FJ-09 at the dealership a few months back and really liked it. I haven't ridden one yet, though. No sense in doing it until I'm closer to buying, anyway. I also really liked the Versys, so that's another option. Both of them appear to have standard handlebars, so I guess I'll figure it out.

Much thanks for the info, by the way!

A nurse I know loves the Versys so much he has two. A 1000 in California and a 650 back in the Phillipines.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Gorson posted:

Ninjas (250,300..500?) have those pseudo-clipons that are bolted directly to the triple instead of the fork tubes:

I don't suppose there's a version of the sandbag inner tube vibration damper that works with these kind of handlebars?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I don't suppose there's a version of the sandbag inner tube vibration damper that works with these kind of handlebars?

Do clipons build up the same kind of resonance that a bar does?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

You can stick one of those foamy bar protector pool noodle things on it and pretend you're 12 years old and riding a BMX bike :madmax:

This is the main thing I miss about the protapers I had on my klr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Do clipons build up the same kind of resonance that a bar does?

I haven't had much vibration at all on mine, so I guess it's just heavy bar-ends that help, or the placement makes it less vibey.