Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

cenotaph posted:

The eugenics wars and WW3 were probably more believable when they were written.

There are still people who see WW3 looming every time Putin sneezes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

cenotaph posted:

The eugenics wars and WW3 were probably more believable when they were written.

I dunno, between Trump and Putin, the whole "ah, think god we're not distressed about the end of the world anymore like in the 60s and 80s" feeling has worn off for me.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

There are still people who see WW3 looming every time Putin sneezes.

Fuckin' ECON, man!

funny way to spell
Nov 4, 2012
I've just found a massive plot-hole in Star Trek. On stardate 46379.1 the USS Enterprise D arrives at Deep Space Nine "to assist in the reconstruction of the Bajoran aqueduct systems, damaged during the Cardassian occupation". The exterior view of the Enterprise docked at an upper pylon is shown in both the DS9 episode "Emissary" and in the Next Generation episode "Birthright, Part I". However, in the TNG episode Bajor is nowhere to been seen. Both episodes take place before the station was moved closer to the wormhole by order of Major Kira in "Emissary, Part II"

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Well, pack it in, guys. That plot hole has rendered Trek utter poo poo and retroactively destroyed any enjoyment I've ever taken in the franchise.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

That's because the entire planet of 'Bajor' is the product of anti-cardassian propaganda

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Easy. The shot in Birthright takes place at a different time, perhaps a few hours later, at which point DS9 has rotated so that Bajor is behind the camera rather than in front of it. :colbert:

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
Wait, Birthright Part 1 (Stardate 46578.4) takes place way after Emissary Part 2 (Stardate 46379.1).

Emerson Cod fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Aug 29, 2016

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Tunicate posted:

That's because the entire planet of 'Bajor' is the product of anti-cardassian propaganda

It exists, but the occupation was drummed up by the Federation as an excuse to give the Bajorans, who secretly control the Federation, their own planet.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Railing Kill posted:

Of all of the near-future (well, at least at the time) stuff in the Trek timeline (Eugenics Wars, WWIII, etc.), the Bell Riots seemed like the most plausible to me. It feels like the most likely scenario to come to pass, even forgiving the sci fi tech involved in some of the other scenarios. People are just so goddamn stupid and small-minded and fall for authoritarian hucksters all the time. That, paired with how we are hurtling toward a post-labor global economy in a lot of places, so all of that is going to make things lovely one way or another. Some US cities have already tried penning-up homeless people in the last few years. The Sanctuary District was the first thing I thought of when I read about it. :(

I've been saying for years that poo poo is going to happen. It's a near certainty at this point

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

(((Bajorans)))

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Data Graham posted:

(((Bajorans)))

:gowron:

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

funny way to spell posted:

I've just found a massive plot-hole in Star Trek. On stardate 46379.1 the USS Enterprise D arrives at Deep Space Nine "to assist in the reconstruction of the Bajoran aqueduct systems, damaged during the Cardassian occupation". The exterior view of the Enterprise docked at an upper pylon is shown in both the DS9 episode "Emissary" and in the Next Generation episode "Birthright, Part I". However, in the TNG episode Bajor is nowhere to been seen. Both episodes take place before the station was moved closer to the wormhole by order of Major Kira in "Emissary, Part II"

Boy I sure hope someone got fired for that blunder.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Kin posted:

I guess that's more of Star Trek i'd actually like to see. gently caress going back to ToS era, stick with post DS9/Voyager, but have some nice character rich storylines exploring parts of the Star Trek universe we don't really see, like the very fringes of Federation space where poo poo is a little bit wilder.

I'd love it if the format change a bit too (like with Deep space 9). So instead of a ship, we've got this band of characters on some commerce hub world of sorts at the fringes/badlands. They might not be part of the Federation yet or whatever and the general overarching story is about them dealing with all the different factions kicking about up there whilst eventually choosing to join one. Throw in some universe level bad guys like the Borg or whatever and i think you could have some great stories about how fundamentally small and overwhelmed they are compared to the bigger picture.

Their isolation might also be a way of getting around the super tech that's floating around in TNG and beyond. No replicators, no time travel, barely any high level tech other than what makes its way there, etc. You could still do some space travel, but it would be limited to a small region of space and only a handful of planets that we could get more familiar with over the series instead of generic planet of the week.
I would like to see a post-VOY series that explores some of the species we've run into in ST but barely know anything about. Like the Breen, Gorn, Tholians, etc. Post Dominion War AQ would be interesting since you have a destroyed Cardassia, and changed alliances.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Data Graham posted:

(((Bajorans)))

lol

unrelated, "The Conscience of the King" is really really good. Does Riley ever pop up again? He was kind of fun in his appearances.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

egon_beeblebrox posted:

lol

unrelated, "The Conscience of the King" is really really good. Does Riley ever pop up again? He was kind of fun in his appearances.

I think that and Naked Time are his only appearances, at least of any significance. Conscience of the King is one of those dark horse episodes that people never really talk up but it's great. It's obviously a recycled script from Have Gun Will Travel or something (the whole eyewitness thing makes no sense once audio tape and photos are widespread, let alone in the 23rd century), but it's really well performed by everyone.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

FlamingLiberal posted:

I would like to see a post-VOY series that explores some of the species we've run into in ST but barely know anything about. Like the Breen, Gorn, Tholians, etc. Post Dominion War AQ would be interesting since you have a destroyed Cardassia, and changed alliances.

There is a natural instinct towards wanting to see more and to fill in the blanks in an expanded universe, but there is an appeal to the principle of keeping some things-like the Gorn and Tholians-episodic. Gives a sense of a bigger universe with millions of different adventures. lovely old Gene edict or not, "don't give us pitches about anything from The Original Series" makes sense.

(this was immediately undone by Gene himself with The Naked Now, but still)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pakled posted:

Easy. The shot in Birthright takes place at a different time, perhaps a few hours later, at which point DS9 has rotated so that Bajor is behind the camera rather than in front of it. :colbert:
Definitely this. It's almost like they put the line in Season 7 just to explain this. There is really no reason for DS9 to rotate that I can imagine, but Ezri says she can feel it rotating in the space sickness episode.

Data Graham posted:

(((Bajorans)))
lol
also (((Ferengi))) etc

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Gaz-L posted:

I think that and Naked Time are his only appearances, at least of any significance. Conscience of the King is one of those dark horse episodes that people never really talk up but it's great. It's obviously a recycled script from Have Gun Will Travel or something (the whole eyewitness thing makes no sense once audio tape and photos are widespread, let alone in the 23rd century), but it's really well performed by everyone.

I loved "Conscience of the King" when I was watching TOS for the first time a little while back. I counted it at or near the beginning of that run of classic episodes in the middle of season one.

Tighclops posted:

I've been saying for years that poo poo is going to happen. It's a near certainty at this point

I'm ready to eat the rich. :yum:

I made a hasty costume for a time travel-themed Halloween party a few years back. It consisted of a clip-on lanyard with an ID card in it. I made a "Sanctuary District C" badge with the government logo on it and stuff. It looked real official. The printed name was "Benjamin Sisko," which I crossed off and wrote "Gabriel Bell" under it with Sharpie. That was it. The badge and logo did look pretty rad for something I threw together in five minutes, but it was otherwise as low-effort as I've ever put into a costume.

I wish I still had it, otherwise I'd post a picture. It was sitting in my desk drawer for a couple of years, but I think I threw it out recently. :(

Data Graham posted:

(((Bajorans)))

hahahahahaha oh poo poo the insanity of the 2016 election has breached the Trump Thread! Other threads are at risk! *warning klaxons* :siren: :siren: :siren:

HeartPlug
Aug 22, 2016

Sand will cover this place
Sand will cover you
Crossposting

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

funny way to spell posted:

I understand this is a joke, but if that was a real camera set up like that Bajor wouldn't be in frame most of the time unless the station rotates.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Trent posted:

Definitely this. It's almost like they put the line in Season 7 just to explain this. There is really no reason for DS9 to rotate that I can imagine, but Ezri says she can feel it rotating in the space sickness episode.

DS9 rotates all the time though? Look at the background stars on any scene on the station with a window (Sisko's office is a good one) and you'll see the stars moving across.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Trent posted:

lol
also (((Ferengi))) etc

I think Exri was feeling something that wasn't necessarily there, like space vertigo or something. If I go up high enough on a ladder, I can "feel" it moving while it's stationary.

There are reasons to rotate a space station though (which DS9 seems to do). Maybe they want to keep the paint fading evenly or not have one hot side and one cold side or maybe it keeps quantum bullshit from interfering with the subspace horseshit.

Also, even if DS9 was kept in a fixed orientation relative to Bajor (like the ISS is with Earth), the Enterprise could just be docked on a different pylon.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It rotates so everyone gets a nice view, you derps. It rotates because it can.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Even if the station doesn't rotate, Bajor would not stay in the same place from the point of view of someone looking out a window.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Unless we're saying 'not rotating' as in tidal lock.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Keep in mind it's just a show, you should really just relax

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo

What's worse is how hosed up the scale is. Look how absurdly huge DS9 must be.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Wowbagger2004 posted:

What's worse is how hosed up the scale is. Look how absurdly huge DS9 must be.

Nothing next to Spacedock. Or Yorktown.

It was built to process the entire planet's slave ore output, it's allowed to be big.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Aug 29, 2016

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

If they had space pirates or bounty hunters or poo poo, I hope they'd do something novel than just Hardman Leatherjacket and his buddy/rival, Basicallyhans Olo. Like the Tosk, that was a novel concept, and there was plenty of weird poo poo right in the old school TOS area.

Like aliens of the basically-human stripe who are all trying to be loud flashy battlers against each other even though the stakes are something like "become president" or "secure resources for my family." Like if Kirk ran into the Hunger Games or something. That would have an interesting premise, and it would also call back to an actual moral issue, that of interventionism - just what the gently caress are they supposed to do about this bullshit situation?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I went to this magic card store and was talkin' shows and guys there were like "DS9 is the worst Trek, we love Dr. Who"

I probably shouldn't go there anymore

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Sever

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Gammatron 64 posted:

I went to this magic card store and was talkin' shows and guys there were like "DS9 is the worst Trek, we love Dr. Who"

I probably shouldn't go there anymore

I've met multiple (!) people who say that DS9 is the worst Trek and Voyager is the best.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I could see someone maybe thinking that DS9 is the worst if their brain is completely broken and they think "they aren't even on a spaceship so they can't even explore" and I guess they've never even seen DS9. To think that Voyager is somehow the best inexcusable.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Pakled posted:

I've met multiple (!) people who say that DS9 is the worst Trek and Voyager is the best.

I have heard this several times as well. There really is no accounting for taste.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

One friend of mine says DS9 is better, but he'd rather watch Voyager. Which is very strange.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

egon_beeblebrox posted:

One friend of mine says DS9 is better, but he'd rather watch Voyager. Which is very strange.

The Seventh Seal is a better movie than Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, but usually I'd rather watch Bill and Ted.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I can see people not liking DS9 because they're dumb and don't like serialized political intrigue or whatever.

Comparing Voyager to TNG though, I can imagine people just find Voyager to be more "comfortable" somehow. Like it's got a more balanced cast and feels more like a "family", what with the matriarch figure and the various crew members behaving more like sitcom rivals and supporting characters than military or science officers. Voyager people aren't into "sci-fi", even by the loose definition of it that TNG fits into; they're into broad character drama and the chemistry between people like the Doctor and Seven.

TNG is more something you have to sit down and "get into". Voyager is more detached, something you can dip into and out of without any real commitment to paying attention to it.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
At least I've never met anyone who likes ENT the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

McNally posted:

The Seventh Seal is a better movie than Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure

Look at this bullshit opinion right here.