Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

scarycave posted:

Speaking of Zelda shopkeepers, I think it's pretty funny that the shopkeeper in Link's Awakening roasts you if you steal and comeback.
And then everyone on the island starts calling you THIEF. Really freaked me out as a kid.

Never stole from that man again.

Actually, everyone starts calling you THIEF automatically if you steal from the shop, whether you've gone back in and had him kill you or not.

There is a glitch to get the bow cheap, but you still have to have the full amount to buy it - if you do a quick save & quit (A+B+Sel+St to open the menu) while your rupees are counting down, then reload the game, your rupees will be at the amount they were when you opened the menu. (I'm not sure if they fixed it in the DX version.)

Edit: Apparently, if you hold select, Start, and B before pressing A to confirm buying the item, you keep all your rupees.

m2pt5 has a new favorite as of 22:33 on Aug 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Nostradingus posted:

Beedle opens a trap door and drops you out of his shop if you don't buy anything in Skyward Sword.

oh poo poo, my man beedle is in skyward sword?

does he still give out complimentary coupons?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

scarycave posted:

Speaking of Zelda shopkeepers, I think it's pretty funny that the shopkeeper in Link's Awakening roasts you if you steal and comeback.
And then everyone on the island starts calling you THIEF. Really freaked me out as a kid.

Technically, they start calling you THIEF once you successfully steal, unrelated to any potential frying if you return to the shop. But yeah, I only ever did that once, and only because I'd been told something would happen; I didn't even think to try to steal.

e: ninja'd.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I almost never see it used, but we even have :shopkeeper:

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.

Aphrodite posted:

The gun dealers also get mad if you only sell stuff instead of buy.

Joke's on them since the combat rifles I just sold were his I just stole from the back room.

Train cops will freak the ever-living gently caress out if you use the wrong (i.e. non-aug) screen to move between zones at the train stations, complete with dialogue cutscenes of them demanding your papers.

It's delicious.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

FredMSloniker posted:

Technically, they start calling you THIEF once you successfully steal, unrelated to any potential frying if you return to the shop. But yeah, I only ever did that once, and only because I'd been told something would happen; I didn't even think to try to steal.

e: ninja'd.

Try stealing from the bird running a shop in Twilight Princess and see where it gets you :toughguy:.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Rampant Dwickery posted:

Train cops will freak the ever-living gently caress out if you use the wrong (i.e. non-aug) screen to move between zones at the train stations, complete with dialogue cutscenes of them demanding your papers.

It's delicious.

Yeah I had that happen last night, some guy got pissed at me. The game does a decent job of giving a sense of sheer loving frustration too, because whilst you could kill one or two easily, you'd get bum rushed and wrecked in no time. You're put in a position where you have to quietly suffer people mistreating you, whispering slurs, refusing you service, and harassing you.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Try stealing from the bird running a shop in Twilight Princess and see where it gets you :toughguy:.

It will forgive you if you pay it, but good luck doing that. :freep:

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
Another Sleep Dogs one: if you attempt to engage any of the monks at the temple in hand-to-hand combat, they will block your attack effortlessly and throw your rear end on the ground. Then they continue walking serenely. Do not gently caress with those dudes.

Also, I never tire of those pork bun vendors: "Man who doesn't buy pork bun is not a whole man!"

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

FELD1 posted:

Another Sleep Dogs one: if you attempt to engage any of the monks at the temple in hand-to-hand combat, they will block your attack effortlessly and throw your rear end on the ground. Then they continue walking serenely. Do not gently caress with those dudes.

Also, I never tire of those pork bun vendors: "Man who doesn't buy pork bun is not a whole man!"

Man I want a pork bun right now.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

scarycave posted:

gently caress that, I'm not grinding rupees to get the shovel and bow.

Jedrick
Mar 21, 2010

:420: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Smoke weed every day.
:420:

Lotish posted:

Man I want a pork bun right now.

No game has made me crave so many foods quite like Sleeping Dogs.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Jedrick posted:

Nor has one let me live out the vindictive desire to throw my annoying, loud neighbors over a balcony quite like Sleeping Dogs.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nuebot posted:

Nor has one let me live out the vindictive desire to throw my annoying, loud neighbors over a balcony quite like Sleeping Dogs.

A real man shoves them in the trunk of a random car and drives it off the nearest pier :colbert:.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Final Fantasy Record Keeper gets a lot of mileage out of streamlining the entire series down to basically just boss fights, but that does mean that everything they've never really designed bosses of their own.

Until now! Their current event is a lineup of bosses that they've designed based on something else completely, which is really cool. Especially given what they are based on:

It's a boss lineup entirely of protagonists, who have boss scripts based on their game's actual mechanics.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Jedrick posted:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

My favorite little thing about Sleeping Dogs is the mission where you have to kill someone to prove that you're not a cop. At that point I had already killed dozens of people.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Alhazred posted:

My favorite little thing about Sleeping Dogs is the mission where you have to kill someone to prove that you're not a cop. At that point I had already killed dozens of people.

i liked the torture scene where they drill your knees and immediately have you doing jump kicks once the fighting begins.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It's really dark, but I cracked up how you can break both legs of one potential romance and lock her in the back of your car without any dialogue drawing attention to this. Like, they just remove her NPC protection and don't expect you to take advantage?!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Action Tortoise posted:

i liked the torture scene where they drill your knees and immediately have you doing jump kicks once the fighting begins.

My only problem with Sleeping Dogs was they really should've gone with just stumbling the hell out barely-alive after being tortured, and fast-forwarding X days/weeks spent in hospital recovering... to revenge.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

My only problem with Sleeping Dogs was they really should've gone with just stumbling the hell out barely-alive after being tortured, and fast-forwarding X days/weeks spent in hospital recovering... to revenge.

Sleeping Dogs is not a game you play for realism.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Action Tortoise posted:

I saw it coming and still hated that part.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Finally read all of this thread. So many little things I never knew about MGS:TPP, holy crap. Thankfully it's still installed.

I didn't even know there were alternate endings besides GO KILL WHITE FROST for Witcher 3. And I am enjoying the gently caress out of the New Game+ playthrough. The fact that they added a whole new higher tier set of equipment of witcher gear, "legendary" as free DLC is just the tits.

Other favorite things:
If you let Letho trick the nilfgaardians into thinking he's dead by having them remove his amulet, he won't have it for the rest of the game, including when he helps out with the defense of Kaer Morhen, if you ask.
All of the voice acting. All of it. It's all done with such care and love and attention to the tiny things in every situation it makes it a real pleasure to go through conversations. Oh god, and the Baron with the naming of the botchling. I could FEEL that.

The fact that Factorio is robust enough to make this happen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kry8lbrHjeY

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

holy moly

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

DelphiAegis posted:

All of the voice acting. All of it. It's all done with such care and love and attention to the tiny things in every situation it makes it a real pleasure to go through conversations. Oh god, and the Baron with the naming of the botchling. I could FEEL that.

The voice acting's absolutely fantastic and there's so many powerful scenes where the actors just knock it out of the park, but my favorite is still probably Geralt's drunk voice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FMKKqZWR3A&t=381s

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Now I want to play sleeping dogs again,it's a shame they rush the ending so much, the whole wedding thing happens too soon and the emotional impact is lost and then you get tortured by a guy who's only been mentioned in passing upto that point and then the games over not long after that, good game though.

As for content, I've been playing through the walking dead (telltale) and I've enjoyed it loads and there was loads that I forgot, I love how clem as a child never forgets whatever the final thing lee tells her before he gets left to turn I chose to tell her to stay away from cities at the end of episode 1 and it wasn't until way late episode 2 near the end when she told someone that's it's a bad idea to go near cities.

also : gently caress arvo

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

My favourite thing in the Witcher 3 was this: even unimportant little sidequests got characters where they developed proper personalities and backstories and unique character models. Normally if you see someone with a unique hairdo or more than a template personality, your mind goes 'oh boy Story Character coming up'.

Witcher has people like Tamara, her buddy the only decent witch hunter, the Nilfgaardian ambassador's daughters, Von Gratz the doctor... You'd think they wouldn't have put in so much effort if they weren't a big deal, but instead you see them in one quest and then they go back to their lives. It goes a massive way towards making the setting feel like a world instead of Geralt's adventure land

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

If I couldn't get into the gameplay if The Witcher 1 or 2 what's the chances of me liking 3? The others just felt really clunky

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Len posted:

If I couldn't get into the gameplay if The Witcher 1 or 2 what's the chances of me liking 3? The others just felt really clunky

It is way less clunky.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Len posted:

Gameplay is very different from 1, and resembles 2 but a lot less clunky. Some people didn't like 3's combat, I thought it was perfectly fine and definitely didn't detract from the game. Its really hard to say given how different (better) it was from the previous ones. I liked it enough that I'd say its worthwhile.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Cool. I'll wait till Tuesday then when the used prices of the base game should drop hella hard. The complete version is just all the free dlc plus the two paid expansions right?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I'm waiting for some kind of Ultimate Edition with all the DLC included to get Witcher 3, but it gets harder and harder to put it off the more I hear about it

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

2house2fly posted:

I'm waiting for some kind of Ultimate Edition with all the DLC included to get Witcher 3, but it gets harder and harder to put it off the more I hear about it

Just get the base game and season pass on sale. Other than the 2 expansions all the dlc is free.

Hobo By Design
Mar 17, 2009

Hobo By Intent or Robo Hobo?
Ramrod XTreme
I started playing Witcher 3 about two weeks ago. I wrote off the initial reaction as hype but I'm flabbergasted by the detail, scope, and characterization. Some shady bandit people waved me down to to go "find their friend." On the trail, I stopped for a second which happened to be near a beggar doing his spiel and the bandits told the beggar off for distracting me. You could miss it as it happens because the streets are full of people talking to each other, but they wrote unique npc interactions just for that minor sidequest.

Hobo By Design has a new favorite as of 22:14 on Aug 28, 2016

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

2house2fly posted:

They just announced a GOTY edition with all the DLC. It is coming out within a few weeks. The expansions are some of the best content of the game and some of the best DLC around period. Just wait for that.

Nohman has a new favorite as of 22:33 on Aug 28, 2016

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Nohman posted:

They just announced a GOTY edition with all the DLC. It is coming out within a few weeks. The expansions are some of the best content of the game and some of the best DLC around period. Just wait for that.

It comes out the day after tomorrow, so yeah, wait a bit. Both expansions are really great.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
One thing I noticed last night, since I did the master swordsmithing quest again.

The setup is this master swordsmith can't make swords due to underworld ties and forcing him out since he didn't want to pay their fees. So he instead becomes a maker of dumplings. The quest is even called, "Of Swords and Dumplings" or something like that. But after you finish the whole quest and unlock him as a vendor, he will always sell a stack of dumplings. :3:

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Nohman posted:

I don't think I've played DLC this good in a goddamn long time.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Len posted:

it's better than 2.

just a quick combat thing: dodge for humanoids, roll for beasties

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The combat in 3 is still the worst part of it, but everything else is so incredibly good that it's well worth playing. Witcher 2 is sort of an acquired taste in general, so there is a decent chance you'll like 3 even if you hated 2. It's an extremely rare case of something you play not for the gameplay, but for the writing, story, characters, etc. I first started playing it over a year ago, and I'm just now arriving at the very end of it. It's a real journey. (and then I have the expansions to go after that :allears:)

Note that the performance is not great in places on PS4 if that's the version you were looking at.