Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

The type system in r is real garbage. It's like they managed to get the worst of both worlds while combining it with weird array structures which give you different types depending on how you index.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

so loving future posted:

good call definitely learn the thing that's sorta like the thing that everyone uses :cool:

it is easier to learn hg and then learn how to translate hg concepts into git's weird ui than it is to start by learning git

and a lot of git tutorials spend an entire first chapter jerking off over git's content addressable store even though this is not something you need to know at all

also some high profile projects and companies actually use hg believe it or not

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Mr Dog posted:

it is easier to learn hg and then learn how to translate hg concepts into git's weird ui than it is to start by learning git

isn't that basically true for any programmy thing though? agonizing over which one to learn first is time not spent learning your first one and figuring out how to use that info elsewhere?

last time at uni i went through smalltalk, c++withoutthe++, college we did cobol and jcl, and now i'm going through babbys first programming language with java and it feels a bit weird cause i keep thinking "shouldn't we be doing something a bit more procedural before leaping straight into oo?"

Shaggar posted:

documentation in intro cs classes are to show what your intent was and how you think it works as compared to the actual results.

sad but true

if only they documented the questions half as well as they expect me to document the answer

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
i have a compsci masters and i did not touch a VCS once single time as part of my course

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

we use SVN at work :shobon:

:same:

we've actually been talking about switching to git soon so hopefully that actually happens

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Luigi Thirty posted:

i downloaded that 68k emulator/debugger easy68k to play with. it includes all kinds of simulated peripherals, serial connection, file i/o, even TCP and UDP networking. i decided i wanted to try clearing the 7-segment LEDs

code:
START:
    move.b #8, d0 ;clear 8-character LED
    move.l #$00E00000, a0

CLEARLCD:
    move.w #$0000, (a0)+ ;gently caress poo poo PISS	
    subq #1, d0
    cmp #0, d0
    bne CLEARLCD

:aaaaa: this instruction set is magic holy poo poo autoincrementing memory addresses

this is very old but the 68K instruction set really is the best by far, I wish for a completely reasonable 64-bit extension

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Luigi Thirty posted:

64 bits is enough for anyone when your money is denominated in mills

I know someone who had to stop using TurboTax because of Rule 36 overflow issues

at that point you really should be paying an accounting firm to manage your money

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

i expanded my directory enumerator to look for a file named "program.bin" (the number displayer with ORG $1000 changed to ORG $800000), load it into 0x800000 and execute it. i've invented dos.

you actually invented TOS since it's 68K and using FAT

now you need an Atari ST

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

quiggy posted:

first semester of freshman year, we took an "intro to programming for engineers" course, which was half matlab and half c. you have never seen something as awful as watching someone who has never tried to program before learn off of matlab and c, and needless to say the only people who got reasonable grades in that class were people who already knew how to program

hey, i took that class when i was in college too! except for me it was half fortran 77 half c. i imagine people who'd never touched a computer before didn't do all that well, but as someone who'd been touching computers for a decade by that point, i don't really care

and hey we did do stuff like computing the lift generated by an airfoil with basic numerical methods, which is kind of cool, so it wasn't a total waste of time either

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

:3:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr Dog posted:

and a lot of git tutorials spend an entire first chapter jerking off over git's content addressable store even though this is not something you need to know at all

also some high profile projects and companies actually use hg believe it or not

hg was better, but git won

accept it

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

i think git won completely on the back of github too. just goes to show that accessibility will always beat quality

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
worse is still better, turns out

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

git has better out of the box support for rewriting local history so it's better

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

hg was better, but git won

accept it

kinda, like it depends how you had better

- a big large project switched to it first based on their experiences using other tools, while most other large projects still used svn
- git's content addressable store model, well, storing snapshots, not deltas, is a reasonable thing to do, the internals of mercurial are funny
- github meant a lot of people jumped ship because sourceforge was a complete pain in the rear end
- hg had a nicer interface but things like rebasing took a while to appear
- git worked very well for "I want to fork this and send patches" and github PRs can be tricked into being a mechanism for this
- git is slowly gaining useful defaults but you'll have to often hack around it to produce your own workflow
- git is still hilariously bad at large files, and a lot of people still copy paste their way through it

but uh, people still use and maintain mercurial, same as git so neither one has won, I mean, people still use svn too

git's success is probably as much due to stackoverflow as github, the former providing the cookbook for git

people who use svn will likely find the jump to hg much, much easier too

i dunno, i remember sourceforge, google code, i remember svn as being the "end-of", it really depends which bubble you're in

tef fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Aug 27, 2016

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
you can still use hg just know it won't be a popular choice but tbh it's a pointless detail compared to how you track issues and merge branches

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

eschaton posted:

you actually invented TOS since it's 68K and using FAT

now you need an Atari ST

ok got one. now what

i think to invent TOS i need to implement an ugly-rear end green desktop

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
amiga rules, atari drools!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

so I've got my Pentium 90 running Windows 3.1 and my Windows 10 computer connected with a null modem cable

what fun can I have with this and my 3D engine

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I wonder what is more powerful

The p90

Or the new pc's embedded controller

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Btw you can get ISA Ethernet cards that do 10mbps

I have one from uhh Netgear I think and it works fine in Windows 3.11 For Workgroups

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Luigi Thirty posted:

so I've got my Pentium 90 running Windows 3.1 and my Windows 10 computer connected with a null modem cable

what fun can I have with this and my 3D engine

ask it what 4195835/3145727 is

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Hard Drivin' supported up to 5 (I think) game boards connected via serial link to the master board which showed the scene from different angles, multi monitor 3D in 1988

also since I got a promotion I'm spending $Texas on the Atari ST system I've wanted for 20 years

1040STf, VGA adapter, Marpet memory expansion to 4MB, hard drive emulator

gonna write hella 68000 asm on it

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Progressive JPEG posted:

Btw you can get ISA Ethernet cards that do 10mbps

I have one from uhh Netgear I think and it works fine in Windows 3.11 For Workgroups

that would probably be a more ideal solution but goddamn Watcom requires a serial connection for debugging DPMI applications anyway

I'm not sure if Windows 3.11 can connect to modern MS workgroups but I could just set up an FTP server pointing to my dosbox folder anyway

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Aug 28, 2016

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

flakeloaf posted:

ask it what 4195835/3145727 is

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

that would probably be a more ideal solution but goddamn Watcom requires a serial connection for debugging DPMI applications anyway

I'm not sure if Windows 3.11 can connect to modern MS workgroups but I could just set up an FTP server pointing to my dosbox folder anyway

a long time ago I had a 3.11 comp connected to xp over an isa Ethernet card and NetBIOS.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i need to publish a thing i coded for my student project, help me choose open source licence (idk much about this). i get that it likely won't ever be read through by anyone (i mean the project, no one reads licences), even partially, but why bother doing if im not doing it right.

my "project" uses some core python 2 stuff and 5 external libraries for python. 3 are licensed under bsd-new, 4th has modified psf licence for it's bsd-compatible code, and last is creative commons zero.

im looking at the licenses and its a loving mess with licences all over the place. while im p sure that i do not want anything like gnu gpl v3, im not sure how do i pick between apache 2, mit, and bsd-new.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

quiggy posted:

:same:

we've actually been talking about switching to git soon so hopefully that actually happens

i made sure to ask every employer in my current round of interviews what their source control was

svn wasn't a straight deal breaker but i now consider it a red flag

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i need to publish a thing i coded for my student project, help me choose open source licence (idk much about this). i get that it likely won't ever be read through by anyone (i mean the project, no one reads licences), even partially, but why bother doing if im not doing it right.

my "project" uses some core python 2 stuff and 5 external libraries for python. 3 are licensed under bsd-new, 4th has modified psf licence for it's bsd-compatible code, and last is creative commons zero.

im looking at the licenses and its a loving mess with licences all over the place. while im p sure that i do not want anything like gnu gpl v3, im not sure how do i pick between apache 2, mit, and bsd-new.

use gnu gpl v3

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

use mit

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

you just copy paste in the mit license and your all set

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

cinci zoo sniper posted:

If no one is going to use it anyways you might as well go GPL3.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
In the case that anyone wants to use it, do you prefer:

1) They must open source whatever they use it for, meaning they may choose not to use it, or
2) you don't give a gently caress, people can do whatever

If 2), paste in the MIT license and be done with it. If 1) use GPLv3, or AGPL if you want to be thorough

(AGPL gets rid of the "loophole" in gpl where you don't have to open source your modification of the thing if you use it in a web thing)

Arcsech fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Aug 29, 2016

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Necc0 posted:

i made sure to ask every employer in my current round of interviews what their source control was

svn wasn't a straight deal breaker but i now consider it a red flag

it only works with us because we're a small company. svn's branch support is so loving bad that i can't even begin to imagine it working in a setting of 10 or more programmers

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

thanks everyone for licencing advice, mit it is. i dont give a poo poo what all 0 people are going to do with it, as long as it's least amount of hassle for them

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

quiggy posted:

it only works with us because we're a small company. svn's branch support is so loving bad that i can't even begin to imagine it working in a setting of 10 or more programmers

what problems are you having w/ branches? works fine for me

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Shaggar posted:

what problems are you having w/ branches? works fine for me

purely command line syntax / difficulty merging. like i said i dont have a huge amount of experience with it but it leaves a lot to be desired

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
why would you use command line tools? are you from 1970?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Shaggar posted:

why would you use command line tools? are you from 1970?

yes

• Locked thread