Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

So I played in a game today where our Colorado died really early to a DD that rushed our cap and then proceeded to get REALLY mad in chat. He rambled on about lemmings and how everyone else was bad. So I said 'shutup dead idiot' in chat which made him even more angry. Boy if we were in irl he would totally beat me up and I wouldn't call him a dead idiot to his face.

Anyway - this is him: https://na.warships.today/player/1014628860/IamNOTyourPREYscum

I rest my case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

JuffoWup posted:

It isn't gradual. As soon as you are pink, you get reflected damage for any more team damage.

I know this because I watched a guy in a cruiser yell at wdarkk in a battleship for getting in front of him. Thing is, said cruiser was chucking a volley of he which set dark on fire. Dark just let it tick till the guy turned pink. Then the guy started taking that fire damage in reflection. Now, for those unaware of how fire and flood damage works, it isn't a fixed amount. It is actually a percentage of your total health. This means the guy was taking 1k/s damage from the fire he set on dark because of dark's larger hp pool.

That guy was mad. I said "enjoy pink" or something and he got mad at me for getting shot by him.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

wdarkk posted:

That guy was mad. I said "enjoy pink" or something and he got mad at me for getting shot by him.

I was there for this and it was hilarious.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

"- Extremely rarely uses torpedoes
- Key vehicle - Minekaze"

Sounds like a recipe for success!

Got to the B hull in my Colorado, thank goodness. I might still be a bit too eager to brawl in it though. Well above average in damage and well below average in survival...

Kim Jong ill
Jul 28, 2010

NORTH KOREA IS ONLY KOREA.

AfroSquirrel posted:

"- Extremely rarely uses torpedoes

This is just warships today being poo poo. My key ship is the Minekaze, followed by the Farragut and Myoko. I'm very good in the Minekaze and use torps as often as I can in the other two, but WST still says I rarely use torps. I'm sure that's the conclusion you could draw comparing raw numbers of torps vs shells, but it's a retarded comparison to make, especially when I have a ship like the Farragut that shits shells at warp speed.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Note that I have definitely seen pink players TK allied ships without dying, so no the reflection mechanic is not always on with them. Once reflection activates it reflects all damage, so other friendlies wouldn't be taking damage at that point (barring poo poo like fires and flooding). It simply activates after pink players have caused some amount of friendly fire damage. Now whether the amount before they start reflecting is percentage-based or set I'm not sure.

Also, as mentioned, the WoT mechanic where eventually TKers are free game for anyone does NOT exist in WoWS - if a "friendly" starts deliberately shooting you, just weather and dodge it as best as you can, but do not return fire, as that may very well make you pink as well.

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.
Ahhh weekends are the worst. I'll play my Blys and have 78000 average damage over eight games but only a 50% win rate.

This has been your official weekly weekends are the worst post.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Lord Koth posted:

Note that I have definitely seen pink players TK allied ships without dying, so no the reflection mechanic is not always on with them. Once reflection activates it reflects all damage, so other friendlies wouldn't be taking damage at that point (barring poo poo like fires and flooding). It simply activates after pink players have caused some amount of friendly fire damage. Now whether the amount before they start reflecting is percentage-based or set I'm not sure.

Also, as mentioned, the WoT mechanic where eventually TKers are free game for anyone does NOT exist in WoWS - if a "friendly" starts deliberately shooting you, just weather and dodge it as best as you can, but do not return fire, as that may very well make you pink as well.

I have also seen an Atlanta die in the first 20 seconds of the game through reflected fire, so there also must be some sort of multiplier when you get close to red.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

This was one of the worst weekends I've ever had in a wargaming product. Something dumb like 25% win rate and a 700 or so aggregate.

I need to remember I can not be aggressive in my BBs without a div mate to watch my back. Also I need to suck less, but I just want to brawl :saddowns:

It also didn't help that when I had a good game where I would 3+ kills and 120k damage, my team would still find a way to throw the game. God I forgot how much that destroys your will to keep playing/living.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Burt posted:

I have also seen an Atlanta die in the first 20 seconds of the game through reflected fire, so there also must be some sort of multiplier when you get close to red.

There also must be some sort of damage threshold to hit pink, yesterday some dense fucker in a Myoko drove up and torped my last 5k of Colorado hp after I called him a useless fucker for refusing to screen our Bayerns and me against a pair of HE spamming DDs, and then "stole" the kill on a Colorado at which he'd spent the whole time flinging HE, and he didn't turn pink.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Victor Surge posted:

Ahhh weekends are the worst. I'll play my Blys and have 78000 average damage over eight games but only a 50% win rate.

Weekends are the worst, but divisioning up with other goons helps quite a bit.

We had some pretty good games on the EU server yesterday, at one point we were running 3x Scharnhorsts and just owning face.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Bad weekends?

Double Strike, Confederate, most base xp on both teams but nope it's a loss!

19 planes shot down. Our Air Superiority Indy got 6.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Victor Surge posted:

Ahh so it's not just me then. Bought a Scharnhorst last Monday. During the week it was great to play with, but this weekend was just awful. Constantly ending up with teams that would turtle on the border and what have you. Probably would have helped if I played with goons. I think I'm gonna avoid playing on weekends because I really do feel like the difference between the playerbase is night and day.

I did fully upgrade my Colorado, and that was fun to use. Managed to erase an Atlanta one minute into a match from 17km :haw:

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Aug 29, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Handsome Ralph posted:

Managed to erase an Atlanta one minute into a match from 17km :haw:

"Call me General Sherman, 'cuz the last time Atlanta got that rekt he was setting fire to it."

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
If you want to keep your sanity during weekend play either something capable to invisible fire or a destroyer.
I suppose a carrier would work too if that's your thing.
Much easier on the nerve than trying to solo push in a Tirpitz.

Krogort fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Aug 29, 2016

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

New to this game, loved the Nassau but having difficulty hitting stuff for meaningful damage with the kaiser. Main issue is hitting stuff moving away or toward at long range.

Does the up/down marker make a difference? Ie is 4 across one up equal to 5 across?

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Every time I want to play this game I queue up in my midway. I wait a couple minutes. Then I close the client and play something else.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I'm going to be controversial here but I think Nagato is still the best T7 BB, including Scharnhorst. In fact, with its favourable MM currently, I would say its the peak BB experience in the game. I sold my Amagi to rebuy it (having bought a Tirpitz) and it just feels like the perfect BB. I have a 14 point captain and am working towards a full secondary build.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

kaesarsosei posted:

I'm going to be controversial here but I think Nagato is still the best T7 BB, including Scharnhorst. In fact, with its favourable MM currently, I would say its the peak BB experience in the game. I sold my Amagi to rebuy it (having bought a Tirpitz) and it just feels like the perfect BB. I have a 14 point captain and am working towards a full secondary build.

The accuracy and armor are so bad that I just can't enjoy this ship.
I played it with the secondary range upgrade and a captain with AFT.
Un insight I think that manual secondaries are a must have for any secondary build and the range upgrade isn't worth it without that skill.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Krogort posted:

The accuracy and armor are so bad that I just can't enjoy this ship.
I played it with the secondary range upgrade and a captain with AFT.
Un insight I think that manual secondaries are a must have for any secondary build and the range upgrade isn't worth it without that skill.

The armor is not as good as Colorado or the Germans, agreed. However its guns are much more accurate than any other <T8 BB. In fact I recall seeing a "sigma chart" which has something to do with accuracy, and the Nagato had a 2.0 value, the only BB better is Yamato. Fuso and New Mex were at 1.5, most other T6,7,8 BBs are 1.8.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
My biggest Problem with the Nagato atm is that you habe to be very careful what and when to engage since the speed is rather low while angling at all times to protect your vulnerable citadel. On the other hand Scharnhorst, Gneisenau and Bismarck can just do whatever they want since lol german BB citadel armor and having better/more HE secondaries while also being faster. Having said that pens with the 410mm are incredibly satisfying.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

I feel sorry for you guys who had bad weekends. My weekend in this game was fantastic. I ploughed through the Kaiser and much of the Konig. Both of those ships are good. The Kaiser might be the best BB at T4. It just dominates everything. The Konig is much more even with the NY and Kongo. I find that those German 12 inchers can easily pen the other BBs, but citadeling other BBs is extremely rare. Still, I got confederate three games in a row with it last night. Just a fun ship.

Also picked up a Furutaka after deciding to finish the Kuma. But I haven't played much of it yet.

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

New to this game, loved the Nassau but having difficulty hitting stuff for meaningful damage with the kaiser. Main issue is hitting stuff moving away or toward at long range.

Does the up/down marker make a difference? Ie is 4 across one up equal to 5 across?

Ships that are appreciably angled to you are more difficult to hit and significantly more difficult to damage thanks to their smaller profile and angled armor. So don't worry about those particular situations if you're struggling. In fact, knowing how much to lead and how much higher or lower to put your reticule is something that will just come to you with repetition. That said, if you have multiple targets to choose from *always* pick the one that is broadside to you. Exceptions would be for a much more important/dangerous target like a destroyer or cruiser that is closing on you fast, or a low health target that needs to be finished off. Both otherwise try and ignore ships that are heavily angled unless you have no other choice. You will contribute significantly more damage by shooting the broadside target.

Ice Fist fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Aug 29, 2016

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

kaesarsosei posted:

The armor is not as good as Colorado or the Germans, agreed. However its guns are much more accurate than any other <T8 BB. In fact I recall seeing a "sigma chart" which has something to do with accuracy, and the Nagato had a 2.0 value, the only BB better is Yamato. Fuso and New Mex were at 1.5, most other T6,7,8 BBs are 1.8.

Nagato and Colorado B hull are both 2.0, as are Scharnhorst, Warspite, Koenig, and North Carolina. Practically speaking there's little difference between most battleships in accuracy, and sigma isn't the only value for it - as an example, highly rated for accuracy New Mexico has a sigma of 1.5, while routinely lambasted as having the worst battleship accuracy in the game Mikasa and Myogi both have 1.8

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Aug 29, 2016

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
In the Konigsberg, should I be shooting HE or AP for the most part? I assume the Furutaka should be shooting AP since the guns are pretty big for the class.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

AP, Konigsberg and Nurnberg have pretty weak HE, but the highest penetration on their AP in their tiers, high enough that you can reliably pen battleships

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Inspector_666 posted:

In the Konigsberg, should I be shooting HE or AP for the most part? I assume the Furutaka should be shooting AP since the guns are pretty big for the class.

Koingsberg is all AP all, all the time. Even against DDs sometimes. German HE is kinda anemic. Furutaka gives you options, both the AP and HE are good, generally AP on cruisers and HE on BBs at range. If you get a little closer you use AP, but you really don't want to be close in a Furutaka, since they can be citadel'd by a stiff breeze.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Test server will have a nice buff for cruisers including a significant reduction in radar reload time and spreading the sonar and AA consumable into two different slots.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

NTRabbit posted:

AP, Konigsberg and Nurnberg have pretty weak HE, but the highest penetration on their AP in their tiers, high enough that you can reliably pen battleships

CitizenKain posted:

Koingsberg is all AP all, all the time. Even against DDs sometimes. German HE is kinda anemic. Furutaka gives you options, both the AP and HE are good, generally AP on cruisers and HE on BBs at range. If you get a little closer you use AP, but you really don't want to be close in a Furutaka, since they can be citadel'd by a stiff breeze.

Thanks. I've been having good games with the Konigsberg but felt like I wasn't doing enough damage.

It's a very fun boat, everything on it is fast.

From Tier V on, I assume it's generally "Shoot AP from everything unless you're trying to start a fire"?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Inspector_666 posted:

Thanks. I've been having good games with the Konigsberg but felt like I wasn't doing enough damage.

It's a very fun boat, everything on it is fast.

From Tier V on, I assume it's generally "Shoot AP from everything unless you're trying to start a fire"?

You'll like Nurnberg then, it's Konigsberg turned up to 11.

Except the Yorck at 7, because it has weird guns that lob high, slow moving shells, so there it's about range rather than target - shoot HE above about 8km, AP below it.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

El Disco posted:

Bad weekends?

Double Strike, Confederate, most base xp on both teams but nope it's a loss!

19 planes shot down. Our Air Superiority Indy got 6.

I had ridiculous games in my Nassau over the weekend, one game I got a Devastating Strike, Confederate, and Close Quarters Expert, and then I followed up in the next game with Fireproof, Dreadnought and another Close Quarters Expert.

I also completely unnecessarily rammed an enemy Wyoming in the center gap towards the end of my 5th match in a row on Solomon Islands, while quoting Nux. poo poo owned, but no-one else had seen Mad Max.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Aug 29, 2016

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.
After playing the Konig, I think it's the best tier 5 battleship. It's guns handle really well, are easy to angle with while still getting all guns on target, and even if they rarely citadel, will still routinely do 10k+ damage to battleships that're 12km or more away. Its speed and turning are respectable too. What I really like, though, is its armor. It's a very tough ship to kill, and if angled well can even handle higher tier ships.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Adventure Pigeon posted:

After playing the Konig, I think it's the best tier 5 battleship. It's guns handle really well, are easy to angle with while still getting all guns on target, and even if they rarely citadel, will still routinely do 10k+ damage to battleships that're 12km or more away. Its speed and turning are respectable too. What I really like, though, is its armor. It's a very tough ship to kill, and if angled well can even handle higher tier ships.

Pretty much this. Getting 10k+ salvos into something is hilarious. They have hilarious pen even if they can't punch through a BB citadel. I think I citadeled a NY once in all my games in the ship.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Krogort posted:

Test server will have a nice buff for cruisers including a significant reduction in radar reload time and spreading the sonar and AA consumable into two different slots.

Yeah, because high tier IJN destroyers needed to be screwed over even more. It's almost like the singular DD line at high tiers that is massively overperforming already rarely gives a poo poo about RADAR, because they're either visible or shooting from outside its coverage range anyways, so better gently caress over the weaker ones even more. And good to know they're only buffing the US - which admittedly needs something - and, I'm sure completely coincidentally, the Russian line of cruisers, which DOESN'T actually need any help whatsoever, while the Germans get nothing and the IJN cruisers once again wonder why every single other cruiser line gets either additional or special consumables. And no, "Zao" does not actually explain poo poo as to why they get nothing, because Ibuki and Mogami aren't currently OP whatsoever, and Moskva is basically neck-and-neck with Zao regardless.

So no, this is actually loving retarded.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Aug 29, 2016

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Lord Koth posted:

Yeah, because high tier IJN destroyers needed to be screwed over even more. It's almost like the singular DD line at high tiers that is massively overperforming already rarely gives a poo poo about RADAR, because they're either visible or shooting from outside its coverage range anyways, so better gently caress over the weaker ones even more. And good to know they're only buffing the US - which admittedly needs something - and, I'm sure completely coincidentally, the Russian line of cruisers, which DOESN'T actually need any help whatsoever, while the Germans get nothing and the IJN cruisers once again wonder why every single other cruiser line gets either additional or special consumables. And no, "Zao" does not actually explain poo poo as to why they get nothing, because Ibuki and Mogami aren't currently OP whatsoever, and Moskva is basically neck-and-neck with Zao regardless.

So no, this is actually loving retarded.

Putting hydro and AA in different slots is a buff to Japanese and German cruisers, but I agree with your other points.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

AfroSquirrel posted:

"- Extremely rarely uses torpedoes has no idea his destroyer has torpedoes

fixed that

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

El Disco posted:

Putting hydro and AA in different slots is a buff to Japanese and German cruisers, but I agree with your other points.

Too bad the IJN hydro is absolutely inferior to the german version.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
After playing this game for a week or so, I've come to the conclusion it is super loving fun, like tanks used to be.

Also it makes me want a true MMOG WW2 combat ship simulator. Like Fighting Steel Online.

It would be hilarious to see people try and actually hold formations, though mostly I think they would not and wouldn't pay any attention to shell fall, penetration scales, relative range or positioning.

In fact most people wouldn't play when they realized maneuvering for an hour was 90% of the engagement. :D

Speaking of which, in real life daylight torpedo attacks by destroyers and cruisers against battleships battleships almost never happened before the target was already a burning hulk for a very good reason.

Destroyer captains captains referred to such shenanigans as the the death ride. or going on the death ride.

If destroyers, cruisers, or even sometimes capital ships (as the German Battlecruisers at Jutland) were ordered into the maw like this, you knew that something pretty loving seriously wrong had happened and the death riders were buying time for the capital ships to escape with their lives.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 29, 2016

Astroclassicist
Aug 21, 2015

Learning to play this. Just reached Tier 4 in Japanese Destroyers. I've yet to find anything more satisfying then hiding behind an island and letting a battleship sweep slowly into 1k torp range.

Edit. Mock my scrub stats here https://eu.warships.today/player/501018680/LordStrange

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Astroclassicist posted:

Learning to play this. Just reached Tier 4 in Japanese Destroyers. I've yet to find anything more satisfying then hiding behind an island and letting a battleship sweep slowly into 1k torp range.

Just as fun: Deleting cruisers from halfway across the map in a battleship.

Whereas torpedoes are more 'Oh poo poo oh poo poo oh poo poo TURN YOU SLOW MOTHERFUCKER TURN GODDAMNIT no no no NO NO NO NO', a salvo of battleship guns is more like 'SURPRISE!! YOU'RE DEAD!'

Both are equally awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Junkozeyne posted:

Too bad the IJN hydro is absolutely inferior to the german version.

Yes which is why every IJN cruiser takes Defensive Fire over hydro. But if they let them take Defensive Fire AND hydro, it's a buff. Though probably more of a buff to German cruisers that usually give up AA for hydro.