Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Blue Train posted:

they don't sell the one I have anymore but I use something similar to this, assuming you have a USB port and aux port it works fine. a lot cheaper than a new head unit

https://www.amazon.com/CyberTech-Br...ZMX78B581KCX6PR

Cool, but it doesn't seem like this would give me the controls through the stereo that I'm looking for as it's through aux.

FunOne posted:

Whats wrong with Bluetooth?

Historically the fidelity wasnt as good as a wired USB connection but like I said it's been several years since I last tried it so I'm willing to give it another shot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Desk Lamp posted:

Works fine on a 2016 Mazda 6, it will read your messages to you and allow you to play/pause music and Youtube from the controls. It does have some quirks occasionally, mostly when getting back in the car after another phone has been paired with it. No Android Auto thus far but you probably know that already.

Nice, thanks!

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Android n on nexus 5x seems to have great battery life, I think I wont root and enjoy snapchat and android pay.

It seems data saver helps with wakelocks? All I will lack is kernel tweaks for battery and app ad blocking, but apps that have adverts are pretty crappy anyway.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Okay so I just updated to 6.0.1 on my Galaxy S6. Mostly fine, except for the lock screen: I have it set to a pattern unlock, but it makes me first swipe the screen before I can enter my pattern. Some furious Googling has been unable to find a solution. Does anyone have experience with this and might be able to help figure it out? It is super annoying.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

thehoodie posted:

Okay so I just updated to 6.0.1 on my Galaxy S6. Mostly fine, except for the lock screen: I have it set to a pattern unlock, but it makes me first swipe the screen before I can enter my pattern. Some furious Googling has been unable to find a solution. Does anyone have experience with this and might be able to help figure it out? It is super annoying.

Yes the solution is to use the fingerprint scanner instead.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

nimper posted:

Yes the solution is to use the fingerprint scanner instead.

That's not really a solution, but I guess it will have to suffice.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

thehoodie posted:

That's not really a solution, but I guess it will have to suffice.

It's more secure than your pattern... I've been able to "hack" into phones by looking at the smudges on the screen.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

It's more secure than your pattern... I've been able to "hack" into phones by looking at the smudges on the screen.
I'm not saying that I don't believe it's possible, but I'm saying I don't believe that this particular poster on the Something Awful forums has people in his life who let him touch their phones.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

FunOne posted:

Whats wrong with Bluetooth?

it sounds like poo poo

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Millstone posted:

it sounds like poo poo

maybe it's the source material

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Millstone posted:

it sounds like poo poo

Then wouldn't you want an analog input and not USB? Didn't USB inherit the same issues?

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

So what's everyone's opinions as far as cases for a Note 7?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

10 Beers posted:

Spigen and Diztronic are always good. Choose the one you like the best from those two brands.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

10 Beers posted:

I got a Caseology but I don't really like the sharp edge where the spen cutout is. Wondering if it's the same with the Spigen or Diztronic cases.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

FunOne posted:

Then wouldn't you want an analog input and not USB? Didn't USB inherit the same issues?

No, a Bluetooth signal is subject to interference, USB sends a straight digital signal to the head unit for the head unit to decode. Dedicated head units can cleanly decode the signal so they are the best quality option.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

MMD3 posted:

No, a Bluetooth signal is subject to interference, USB sends a straight digital signal to the head unit for the head unit to decode. Dedicated head units can cleanly decode the signal so they are the best quality option.

So, BT sends an analog signal? I don't have any insight into this, but this doesn't seem right.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Thermopyle posted:

So, BT sends an analog signal? I don't have any insight into this, but this doesn't seem right.

It isn't. It's true that Bluetooth is subject to interference, but in a car the interference will be minimal. The interference will not degrade the audio signal, but may cause glitches (depending on whether Bluetooth handles error detection and/or supports retransmission of lost packets). The audio quality reduction is just from compression.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Other things that cause Bluetooth glitches:

Android

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Fact.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
So does daydream (the screensaver) just not work on any device? I've got a Note5 and another samsung tablet that I just cant get it to work on.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Works fine for me. I use it every night as my bedside clock. I trigger it through tasker though. I'm not sure what the normal way of triggering it is.

edit: Nexus 6P, but I used it on all of my Moto devices too

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Krime posted:

So does daydream (the screensaver) just not work on any device? I've got a Note5 and another samsung tablet that I just cant get it to work on.

Screensaver is the official name in N, because Daydream is now a VR thing.

Did you set it to activate on "charge" (or "either")? The default "dock" is generally not something people have (and I'm not sure how a phone would detect it, w/o pogo pins). The option is behind the overflow button.

e: or a qi charger i guess VVV

Grim Up North fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 28, 2016

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Krime posted:

Worked fine on my Nexus 7 and Nexus 5 when on my Tylt Vus but they got so hot I thought it would burn the house down so I never tried it except one time.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

So I just got a Nexus 5X after slumming for years. Can I do VR with this phone? Like, Cardboard is older than this phone so I assume it must be capable, but I've seen headlines saying the Nexus phones are not "Daydream-Ready" or whatnot?

And speaking of slumming, the phone I upgraded from was a Moto G 2nd gen. I've never actually had two working phones at the same time before. Is there anything useful/cool I can do with a secondary phone besides keeping it in a drawer in case my new phone spontaneously combusts?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

So I just got a Nexus 5X after slumming for years. Can I do VR with this phone? Like, Cardboard is older than this phone so I assume it must be capable, but I've seen headlines saying the Nexus phones are not "Daydream-Ready" or whatnot?

You can do VR just fine with the current gen software. VR video should work just fine.

Daydream is the branding for their next generation stuff which will include baseline capabilities for the sensors, BT, graphics, etc. I would not expect the 5x to be compatible with those specifications, but you'll still be able to do VR Youtube just fine.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

The real problem is that the only codec that A2DP devices are required to support is SBC, which was a codec designed to be implementable in software on embedded CPUs from 2000.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Sir Lemming posted:

Other things that cause Bluetooth glitches:

Android
This is sooooooooo loving true. Still that my car won't connect to BT automatically when it starts half the time. It'll connect when I manually tell it too, but when it does that I magically don't have steering wheel controls anymore.

Started mostly when I did the first N beta, but persisted through a wipe back to M and through to N release now.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

b0lt posted:

The real problem is that the only codec that A2DP devices are required to support is SBC, which was a codec designed to be implementable in software on embedded CPUs from 2000.

So it sounds like BT is ok if you can figure out through esoteric spec sheets if both sides of the connection support a higher quality codec.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I just buy chinese knockoff poo poo and it works fine :shrug:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Well, I've never had a complaint about BT audio quality either (except for jankiness during interference or system load), but I'm not an audiophile so maybe I'm on the old crappy codec and just don't know it.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
The volume button on my Nexus 6P bent towards the top. Everything was fine for a few hours and I could still change the volume through the in-phone option, but then my phone froze and I reset it. It bugged out and said "no command", and through fixing it I had to press the volume up button, which was no easy feat. Now it's booted up, but the volume keeps going up on its own; I imagine whatever sensor is in there is stuck so close to the "on" position that it's super sensitive. It's hard to turn the phone screen off because it keeps thinking the volume is being messed with and pressing the power button won't put it to sleep.

I filed a claim with Nexus Protect, hopefully it's as fast as advertised and I have a new phone tomorrow. I don't know how this happened or even when it happened because I don't actually mess with the volume that much.

So it's time to look into a case so this doesn't happen again. What's the recommended case for the Nexus 6P?

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I want the new Nexus phone to come out!! Come on Google :argh:

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

myron cope posted:

I want the new Nexus phone to come out!! Come on Google :argh:

Why? They're HTCs, they're not going to be any good.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Opinions on USB-C external battery packs? This is the only one I found that looks decent: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014ZO46LK

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

Opinions on USB-C external battery packs? This is the only one I found that looks decent: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014ZO46LK

Didn't they just do a recall of their stuff for not being USB-C compliant?

E: Yep, cable recall. http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/08/28/anker-issues-recall-and-replacements-after-researcher-demonstrates-unsafe-usb-c-cables/

I use this one and it works great. You'll need a separate C to C cable to fast charge the 6p though.

https://www.amazon.com/Tronsmart-12000mAh-External-Battery-Technology/dp/B01GVBFBBO

anakha fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Aug 29, 2016

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Goddammit.

Thanks for the recommendation, I want to try and get one at least 20,000 mah. Maybe the Anker one post-recall would work?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I have this and I like it. [Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 + USB-C Port] RAVPower 20100mAh Portable Charger (Quick Charge Input & Output; Type-C Port) External Battery Pack Power Bank for Phones, Tablets and More Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0156HCJQO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_dc8WxbNMRHBY9

Quick charges on USB-C, both the battery and the phone.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

I have this and I like it. [Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 + USB-C Port] RAVPower 20100mAh Portable Charger (Quick Charge Input & Output; Type-C Port) External Battery Pack Power Bank for Phones, Tablets and More Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0156HCJQO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_dc8WxbNMRHBY9

Quick charges on USB-C, both the battery and the phone.

Perfect, thank you!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

:vince:

ErikTheRed posted:

If anyone is curious about it I picked up a ZTE Axon 7 (the grey color).
Seems like a pretty good pick at the $400 level. It's fast, the screen looks great and battery life seems incredibly good compared to my 2014 Moto X. I like the size
ZTE's skin is alright (it's not wildly different from stock Android), though it's really stupid you can't disable the notification bell on the lock screen. The camera takes very nice photos with good light, but as reviews have stated the low-light performance is not very good.
It's sounds like the phone should get Nougat pretty soon so that's nice as well.
It's great that $400 off contact now nets you an awesome phone.

What's your opinion on the capacitive buttons? I've heard they're quite close together, and not backlit. Also, are they really just dots, as youtube reviews seem to indicate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cosmo321
Jan 6, 2011

Thermopyle posted:

Well, I've never had a complaint about BT audio quality either (except for jankiness during interference or system load), but I'm not an audiophile so maybe I'm on the old crappy codec and just don't know it.
It's ok to laugh at people who thinks the compression/somewhat old codecs matters in a noisy environment like a car or when using headphones outside anyway. Jankiness from a poor signal is annoying though.