Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Yeah, pretty much every spirit we've seen so far would be an especially uncomfortable puberty companion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Splicer posted:

Or he's a teenager. Do none of you remember being a teenager. Apart from the "There's a ghost in my head" part, everything Isaac has said on this page is pure teenager.txt

I remember wanting to fight and/or gently caress everything that moved in my line of sight but I definitely do not remember holding onto my grudges indefinitely

that poo poo shouldn't kick in until you're 40 or so

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

teenager hurt by spectral child
21st century schizoid weeb

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

We wish to communicate with you!

wokow6 posted:

Do you guys think Isaac's problem has been somehow enhanced by his spirit? Cause from what we know, a tool and a medium starts taking on physical aspects of the spirit. What if mediums start taking on some personality aspects of the spirit?
They take on the physical aspect at the very least. I remember exposition way back when that Isaac's hair wasn't always so anime, and that it's a result of him being possessed.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

heenato posted:

They take on the physical aspect at the very least. I remember exposition way back when that Isaac's hair wasn't always so anime, and that it's a result of him being possessed.
Don't point your emotions at me, you chump elf!

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
New page up: http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-141

"New scene next time", so we wont know how this pans out for a while I guess

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

pik_d posted:

we wont know how this pans out for a while I guess

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

God help me, I agree with Bravest.

FFS how long has this chapter been so far?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Zach's been taking a lot of breaks recently, it feels, so it's even slower now.

I'm reminded of gigi talking about CQ, saying she's simplifying a lot of stuff to get it done and that maybe just maybe it's not super smart to y'know make a loving massive thing your first webcomic project.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
I love this comic, but drat does Zach need to work on the pacing. The constant scene switching right as things are about to go somewhere just makes it feel like there's never any resolution, and when it does come-- even on a reread-- it's been so long it loses its impact.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
I agree. It clearly wasn't his intention, since he said something along the lines of "yeah the ghost train is probably going to be the longest chapter". The shortcut chapter was very fun and well paced! It pretty much just followed max and Isaac the whole way to school. Since then, the action has gotten very fragmented and more drawn out.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
Zack could probably use a real-rear end editor who can question what's really necessary to the story and keep him on a tighter schedule. The first page of chapter 5 was 20 months ago, at this rate we'll be on chapter 8 or 9 by 2020, if that.

Fecha posted:

I agree. It clearly wasn't his intention, since he said something along the lines of "yeah the ghost train is probably going to be the longest chapter". The shortcut chapter was very fun and well paced! It pretty much just followed max and Isaac the whole way to school. Since then, the action has gotten very fragmented and more drawn out.

It seems like Zack is having problems telling one story at a time, like with the mid-chapter jump to Dr. Zarei. He's mentioned writer's block slowing him down before, maybe jumping between plots is what's helping him keep going.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
It's a pacing trick that shows up in TV a lot (main example that springs to mind is CSI and everything that ever aped its format) to maintain tension by having at least two running plotlines and flipping between them every few minutes.

Obviously this works much less well when you're doing the equivalent of watching roughly 30 seconds every three or four days.

Regardless of how well it comes out in archives, I do agree he should probably look at forcing himself to go back to shorter more concise chapters. On the bright side he does seem like the type who could actually learn that lesson, though we will have to finish this one off first.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Renaissance Robot posted:

It's a pacing trick that shows up in TV a lot (main example that springs to mind is CSI and everything that ever aped its format) to maintain tension by having at least two running plotlines and flipping between them every few minutes.

Obviously this works much less well when you're doing the equivalent of watching roughly 30 seconds every three or four days.

Regardless of how well it comes out in archives, I do agree he should probably look at forcing himself to go back to shorter more concise chapters. On the bright side he does seem like the type who could actually learn that lesson, though we will have to finish this one off first.

At this point we're jumping between four or five running plotlines, though. (the four main kiddos + zarei, maybe?) Two might be manageable in webcomic format, three plus is pushing it in any medium.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

At this point we're jumping between four or five running plotlines, though. (the four main kiddos + zarei, maybe?) Two might be manageable in webcomic format, three plus is pushing it in any medium.

I wouldn't say any medium. In this it's rough going because webcomics are so spaced out to begin with, yeah, but Seinfeld usually went with the "four simultaneously running plotlines that all combine at the end of the episode" format, for example.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

And who can forget George "RailRoad" Martin and his 30 viewpoint chapter books.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
We were trapped in a single gym class for four months.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i will wait for the ghost comic, and enjoy updates

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Idran posted:

I wouldn't say any medium. In this it's rough going because webcomics are so spaced out to begin with, yeah, but Seinfeld usually went with the "four simultaneously running plotlines that all combine at the end of the episode" format, for example.

Fair enough. Most shows go for A plot/B plot though, and also are not as good as Seinfeld.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

oddium posted:

i will wait for the ghost comic, and enjoy updates

Me too. I don't know why people expect a free webcomic to be as well paced and edited as a professional production like a TV show. It's not like Zach is swimming in money to afford an editor.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I don't know why suddenly not paying for something somehow makes it immune to criticism?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Rohan Kishibe posted:

I don't know why suddenly not paying for something somehow makes it immune to criticism?

That's not what he said, he said the fact is a work by an amateur with no support means some stuff isn't gonna be up to snuff when compared to professional comics/manga. His output is what, 8 pages a month, and the dude struggles to keep it up at times too. A serial story told in 8 pages a month is gonna have pacing issues regardless, I feel.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

"You shouldn't complain about the thing, it's free" is a faulty argument, because it fails to take into account that in this day and age, being a free webcomic is not in the least bit remarkable.

"You don't have to pay for this thing." True, but I also don't have to read it, either. I am choosing to spend my time here, losing time I could instead be using to, say, catch up on Monster Pulse.

"It's free, so keep your expectations realistic" is a similar but much better argument that I rarely see. Edit for clarity: And I think that's what's being said here.

Also, it's constructive criticism, on an internet comedy site's forums, that Zack will probably never read. You don't have to defend his feelings. :ssh:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Criticism should be reasonable to the context of what's being criticized.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

Have you ever read the wheel of time? Don't. Just imagine what's going on here except sometimes the focus on one plotline lasts for most of a doorstopper of a book and still doesn't reach a satisfactory jumping off point by the end. And you have to wait years between installments.

Then imagine that after over a dozen books the last one wraps everything up super quickly by murdering a bunch of the more troublesome characters with little fanfare.

In conclusion, I hope Zack doesn't die leaving Paranatural to be finished by someone else. That would suck.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Who What Now posted:

Me too. I don't know why people expect a free webcomic to be as well paced and edited as a professional production like a TV show. It's not like Zach is swimming in money to afford an editor.

I don't see how "Hey, maybe you should work on your pacing" is some kind of extremely unreasonable demand, especially when there are actual examples in the archives of chapters which were paced way better.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

asking someone to tweak their pacing isn't unreasonable, asking someone to hire on an editor to their passion project webcomic is.

That said this probably would have been better received as two chapters with more of a clean break between hitball and stalking the teachers. That it's all somehow the same big chapter makes what's already a sprawling arc look even worse.

EDIT: to clarify I think the pacing on this tiny little chunk is actually okay! As long as we stay with these 4 stories, jumping between them in quick bursts isn't that bad a storytelling technique, if a little slow to satisfy due to delays. if it starts flashing to Zarei and Doorman and Suzy and whoever else again that's when it it'll crumble real quick.

Maduo fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Aug 29, 2016

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Poison Mushroom posted:

Also, it's constructive criticism, on an internet comedy site's forums, that Zack will probably never read. You don't have to defend his feelings. :ssh:

Placing constructive criticism where the creator can't read it does not seem constructive. I mean how are you intending it to help him improve? Sounds like just standard criticism...

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Who What Now posted:

I think you're confusing "This isn't paced very well, I see what he's going for but it's not quite working." with "This isn't paced very well, YOU FUCKER ZACH I HOPE YOU DIE."

Commenting on what isn't working in a comic in a forum for discussing that comic isn't a weird thing to do.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

Since this seems to be the post that started this whole mess let me clarify:

Kabanaw posted:

Zack could probably use a real-rear end editor who can question what's really necessary to the story and keep him on a tighter schedule. The first page of chapter 5 was 20 months ago, at this rate we'll be on chapter 8 or 9 by 2020, if that.

This isn't me saying Zack should literally go out and hire an editor, I'm just saying he could use one. Most writers could, but Zack in particular seems to have trouble keeping his story concise. It's not a particularly constructive criticism, sure, but then again I'm not expecting Zack to ever read this.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i don't care how short or long a comic is or how quickly it updates as long as it's good. and let me tell you. paranatural is good

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Aw man, here comes my hot take, you better get a bucket of cold water and a fire extinguisher ready for this!!!!!!

I think this'll read fine, when it's completed. Good/decent stories can be horribly marred by their pacing. Imagine if Harry Potter came out but only two pages every three weeks.

Anyone re-read hitball or the train part lately and think it still drags on?

donges
Aug 4, 2012

I'd rather be vomiting and I despise vomiting. Blegh!

RareAcumen posted:

Aw man, here comes my hot take, you better get a bucket of cold water and a fire extinguisher ready for this!!!!!!

I think this'll read fine, when it's completed. Good/decent stories can be horribly marred by their pacing. Imagine if Harry Potter came out but only two pages every three weeks.

I was going to say this - I'm pretty sure that when read serially, it'll feel fine, pacewise. I wonder how long people can keep giving the same "constructive criticism" about webcomics.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

That would have been terrible because each book was written to be experienced as a book, if it were released as a series of pages or chapters it'd have been written differently.

Paranatural works because it has a zillion gags on every page, which keeps it entertaining page-to-page. That hasn't stopped the chapter's plot from dragging on pretty badly.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Maduo posted:

asking someone to tweak their pacing isn't unreasonable, asking someone to hire on an editor to their passion project webcomic is.

That said this probably would have been better received as two chapters with more of a clean break between hitball and stalking the teachers. That it's all somehow the same big chapter makes what's already a sprawling arc look even worse.

EDIT: to clarify I think the pacing on this tiny little chunk is actually okay! As long as we stay with these 4 stories, jumping between them in quick bursts isn't that bad a storytelling technique, if a little slow to satisfy due to delays. if it starts flashing to Zarei and Doorman and Suzy and whoever else again that's when it it'll crumble real quick.

I read this and was really confused for a bit, then realized that I'd forgotten that Hitball was still part of this chapter. :psyduck:

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

I know! I almost had to double check to make sure.

RareAcumen posted:

I did the train part a while back and that definitely flows better in one piece, but there are a few bits that go a couple pages too long maybe? Others could easily disagree. I might try rereading hitball but I'm a little more confident that will flow smoothly, as that was during the worst of Zach's delays and pushbacks.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
I reread the hitball stuff recently and it's actually not much of an issue on rereads. It's just that sports anime would translate horribly if read at the rate of 2 pages per week. I think overall Paranatural is actually one of the best webcomics re: this issue! Zack works hard to fill every page with entertaining content and background details / gags to enjoy. Sometimes his scenes last longer than they need to, an issue I can relate to as a writer. For example, I think the recent scene between Spender and Isabel could probably have been a few pages shorter.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Update! Let's slow this down with a new plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Even so, I missed those two.