Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Lastgirl posted:

but you are aware

that students of drunken style actually train for it

its not actually as random and jerky as it is

the fact that jackie chan pretends that liquor actually helps him goes to show what an amazing physical comedy actor he is

if you try it drunk, you will just most likely injure yourself

which is what trump will exactly do :smugbert:

Wait so drunken boxing style is real? Know of any sweet vids?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Feral Integral posted:

Wait so drunken boxing style is real? Know of any sweet vids?

yes it's an actual style

hold on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9wq7QC1Qi0

it is an insanely hard skill to master

so this video, im just showing that this guy has incredible core to control his movements

Lastgirl fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Aug 29, 2016

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I'm tired and can't tell if you are being serious but I certainly wasn't :confused:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Weirdly enough Trump doesn't even drink, that's his regular personality. Just imagine how he would be if he had half a bottle of whiskey.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Bad Moon posted:

I'm tired and can't tell if you are being serious but I certainly wasn't :confused:

sure but i'm just saying....

Air is lava! posted:

Weirdly enough Trump doesn't even drink, that's his regular personality. Just imagine how he would be if he had half a bottle of whiskey.

exactly what he is saying.

Trump is going to flop so hard, so you're just actually insulting people who actually TRAIN for drunken style kung fu~ :ocelot:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Freakazoid_ posted:

More like a typical principal. All rules, no sympathy. Nobody likes 'em but the olds and hall monitors.

Hillary is basically :ughh: distilled into a human being, which is honestly what the US deserves right now.

like her campaign slogan should be CLINTON/KAINE 2016: For gently caress's sake you people literally nominated Donald Trump

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Air is lava! posted:

I like how Trump's sole virtue is also what makes his actions even more baffling. If he was wasted 24/7 he'd at least have an explanation for the poo poo he does.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Lastgirl posted:

sure but i'm just saying....

exactly what he is saying.

Trump is going to flop so hard, so you're just actually insulting people who actually TRAIN for drunken style kung fu~ :ocelot:

He didn't, though. He insulted Trump. Bad Moon is suggesting that Trump is the kind of guy who would watch a movie that is almost entirely about rigorous kung fu training and then think "yeah, I've just got to be a wildcard, no preparation at all, that's the ticket"

He didn't even mention drinking, just the unpredictability of the style. This compares well to Trump's strategy of "IMPROV EVERYTHING TO REMAIN UNPREDICTABLE, WILDCARD", as Trump is someone who wouldn't understand why something designed to look like random jerkiness is not the same as random jerkiness

Mr Interweb posted:

Has this been posted?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/08/28/donald-trump-has-a-massive-catholic-problem/

This is a pretty BFD isn't it? Catholics are not only a huge portion the general population, but also a huge portion of the Republican population. A 20+ point shift surely makes it seem like it would be possible to take back the House, right? And that same article has a chart showing Hillary is doing better than Obama in every single demographic. I never thought I'd witness such a thing.

Catholics tend not to vote on "religious" lines. Liberal Catholics vote for Democrats, conservative Catholics for Republicans, moderate Catholics tend to swing from election to election. All of the recent discussion on the Catholic vote seems kind of silly when it's clear that Catholics don't vote in a way that's much different from the general public.

Trump's popularity dip with Catholics is pretty well-represented by his popularity dip with the general population.

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Aug 29, 2016

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Reading about how Trump doesn't drink reminds me of how people used to say they wanted to have a beer with GWB (who was a recovered alcoholic and teetotaler), and the constant "Drunken Uncle Joe Biden" jokes (who is actually also a teetotaler).

Meanwhile, who was the most recent top political figure in America that you could (and some actually did) have a beer with? You guessed it. :cheers:

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

QuarkJets posted:

He didn't, though. He insulted Trump. Bad Moon is suggesting that Trump is the kind of guy who would watch a movie that is almost entirely about rigorous kung fu training and then think "yeah, I've just got to be a wildcard, no preparation at all, that's the ticket"

He didn't even mention drinking, just the unpredictability of the style. This compares well to Trump's strategy of "IMPROV EVERYTHING TO REMAIN UNPREDICTABLE, WILDCARD", as Trump is someone who wouldn't understand why something designed to look like random jerkiness is not the same as random jerkiness

sure but thats not what im arguing

i might as well agree that yes, random flailing is what he thinks he'll master as a kung fu but also am saying it is still an insult~

let it go~

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lastgirl posted:

sure but thats not what im arguing

i might as well agree that yes, random flailing is what he thinks he'll master as a kung fu but also am saying it is still an insult~

let it go~

you were just sperging about martial arts while

hitting return after every sentence like

this is 1998 and you're on aol

neither of these things are related to us politics

do you want to build a snowman~

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

you were just sperging about martial arts while

hitting return after every sentence like

this is 1998 and you're on aol

neither of these things are related to us politics

do you want to build a snowman~

sure~
snowmans
are
cool

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

How can you tell if a Tweet was from an Android or iOs device if there's no "watermark" stamped onto it?

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Trump is actually very predictable considering he reliably says or tweets something demonstrably ignorant or stupid almost every day. The only thing unpredictable is what flavor of stupid it is.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Donkwich posted:

Trump is actually very predictable considering he reliably says or tweets something demonstrably ignorant or stupid almost every day. The only thing unpredictable is what flavor of stupid it is.

exactly

he's the Wimp Lo of politics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d696t3yALAY

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Donkwich posted:

Yeah. He's only unpredictable if you think of him as a politician of leader. Think of him as a narcissistic manchild looking to personally profit who depends on the rate of bigots for power and he becomes much easier to read.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

He thinks losing is winning!

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Reading about how Trump doesn't drink reminds me of how people used to say they wanted to have a beer with GWB (who was a recovered alcoholic and teetotaler), and the constant "Drunken Uncle Joe Biden" jokes (who is actually also a teetotaler).

Meanwhile, who was the most recent top political figure in America that you could (and some actually did) have a beer with? You guessed it. :cheers:

Actually...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok2g6M4wTeg

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Holy poo poo this is so accurate. I never made the connection thank you

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
fwiw sleep deprivation does make you act like a drunk

my personal conspiracy theory: Prester Jane's diagnosis is right, and Trump keeps himself awake by indulging in his narcistic supply

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Yinlock posted:

Hillary is basically :ughh: distilled into a human being, which is honestly what the US deserves right now.

like her campaign slogan should be CLINTON/KAINE 2016: For gently caress's sake you people literally nominated Donald Trump

What are you talking about. Her convention was so successful you had prominent Republicans wondering why they felt optimistic and proud of America after watching it, compared to the sick depressed feeling the Republican convention left in their stomachs.

She got a double digit boost that a month later still hasn't faded.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

VitalSigns posted:

What are you talking about. Her convention was so successful you had prominent Republicans wondering why they felt optimistic and proud of America after watching it, compared to the sick depressed feeling the Republican convention left in their stomachs.

She got a double digit boost that a month later still hasn't faded.

I think he means that while she"s a bit awkward when she tries to be inspiring or relatable to young people, she's actually really good at expressing :ughh: See: the most recent Benghazi hearings.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Hillary was legit amazing at that last Benghazi hearing, if that didnt get noticeably under her skin I don't see how Trump will. it also removes any doubt that she will be troll-Hillary from day one. She knows how awful and shallow and immoral Republicans are, she won't spend half a decade hoping they'll work with her.

However, the AP will probably declare the debate a tie. "Trump holds his own against challenger who is well practiced on national debate stage"

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Dr Christmas posted:

I think he means that while she"s a bit awkward when she tries to be inspiring or relatable to young people, she's actually really good at expressing :ughh: See: the most recent Benghazi hearings.

Pretty much this, yeah.

mercantilism
Oct 22, 2012

Augus posted:

He thinks losing is winning!

We trained him wrong.

As a joke.

AMorePerfctGoonion
Aug 11, 2016

by exmarx
Trump is offering Clinton a "you show me yours and I'll show you mine" deal (sorry for that mental imagery) regarding more detailed medical records. I think he knows he can get his quack to sign off virtually anything for a 5 minute spin in Trump's limo. What amazing medical facts will we find out next?

"Mr. Trump will not only be the healthiest president in history but also healthier than all future presidents, even the cyborg ones."

"Mr. Trump isn't fat, he just has a powerful and protective crumple zone."

I can't wait to see a list of all his "positive" test results

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Just posting to say that I went to rave over the weekend and had some pretty good conversations with some black people about a lot of the same stuff that was posted a while back in this thread when it derailed into The Black Experience chat.

So thanks, USPOL thread.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

AMorePerfctGoonion posted:

Trump is offering Clinton a "you show me yours and I'll show you mine" deal (sorry for that mental imagery) regarding more detailed medical records. I think he knows he can get his quack to sign off virtually anything for a 5 minute spin in Trump's limo. What amazing medical facts will we find out next?

"Mr. Trump will not only be the healthiest president in history but also healthier than all future presidents, even the cyborg ones."

"Mr. Trump's orange skin is a sign of the next step in human evolution and not a side-effect of sleeping surrounded by irradiated gold to recharge his dark energies"

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Hillary should offer her medical records for his tax returns.

AMorePerfctGoonion
Aug 11, 2016

by exmarx
"Mr. Trump's hands are actually of above average size, they only look small because the rest of his body is absolutely massive."

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Yinlock posted:

"Mr. Trump's orange skin is a sign of the next step in human evolution and not a side-effect of sleeping surrounded by irradiated gold to recharge his dark energies"

I'm predicting the phrase "Genetic destiny" will be used at some point.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

FIRST TIME posted:

Just posting to say that I went to rave over the weekend and had some pretty good conversations with some black people about a lot of the same stuff that was posted a while back in this thread when it derailed into The Black Experience chat.

So thanks, USPOL thread.

Not talking, but ditto this. I'd honestly love a black experience chat thread.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!
At risk of perpetuating a lovely derail, the idea that there were no unambiguously matriarchal societies hinges on the qualifier "unambiguous," ie, there are none known to have ever been as misandristic as feudal and modern societies have been misogynistic. There are partially matriarchal societies in the present day:

http://mentalfloss.com/article/31274/6-modern-societies-where-women-literally-rule

They just aren't literally Amazons (which were the fever dream of the ancient Greeks, who hated women in a way the Republican party can barely imagine). Frankly, using that standard to deny that women have ever held power or authority is no better than advocating for The Bell Curve or Protocols of the Elders of Zion, in service of a similar narrative.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Aug 29, 2016

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

She should hit back with an offer for both of them to go get checked at the Walter Reed by the same, actual doctor.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

"Mr. Trump's hands are actually of above average size, they only look small because the rest of his body is absolutely yuuuge."

:cmon:

AMorePerfctGoonion
Aug 11, 2016

by exmarx

Hodgepodge posted:

At risk of perpetuating a lovely derail, the idea that there were no unambiguously matriarchal societies hinges on the qualifier "unambiguous," ie, there are none known to have ever been as misandristic as feudal and modern societies have been misogynistic. There are partially matriarchal societies in the present day:

http://mentalfloss.com/article/31274/6-modern-societies-where-women-literally-rule

You are confusing matriarchy with matrilineality and matrifocality. Even in those examples you posted, the actual positions of political power are held by men even if female support is necessary.

1. "men handle politics."

2. "the clan chief is always male, "

3. "men traditionally hold leadership positions within the society"

5. "Much like the Akan, however, the societiy is matrilineal but not matriarchal: the men govern the society and manage property."

quote:

They just aren't literally Amazons (which were the fever dream of the ancient Greeks, who hated women in a way the Republican party can barely imagine). Frankly, using that standard to deny that women have ever held power or authority is no better than advocating for The Bell Curve or Protocols of the Elders of Zion, in service of a similar narrative.

Well, that's a very hyperbolic strawman attack that I have to respond to. All I am saying is that like other social animals, primitive human societies are structured around sex. They are universally patriarchies. This is the consensus of professional anthropologists. This doesn't justify modern society being patriarchal or sexist anymore than pointing out that the rape of women is a universal phenomenon in human societies justifies sexual assault. In fact being aware that we have a powerful natural, evolved tendency to expect that power will rest in the hands of men is anti-sexist.

AMorePerfctGoonion fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Aug 29, 2016

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

I'm calling bullshit on the fact that Black Experience apparently isn't a band name. What kind of world is this?

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Well, that's a very hyperbolic strawman attack that I have to respond to. All I am saying is that like other social animals, primitive human societies are structured around sex. They are universally patriarchies. This is the consensus of professional anthropologists. This doesn't justify modern society being patriarchal or sexist anymore than pointing out that the rape of women is a universal phenomenon in human societies justifies sexual assault. In fact being aware that we have a powerful natural, evolved tendency to expect that power will rest in the hands of men is anti-sexist.

You mean "universally not matriarchies". There's plenty of archaeological evidence for egalitarian societies.

(edit: in the sense that there's a rich data set to indicate that some societies were egalitarian, I'm not claiming they were especially common or even the norm.)

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Yinlock posted:

I'm calling bullshit on the fact that Black Experience apparently isn't a band name. What kind of world is this?

Sounds like an In Living Colour cover band to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AMorePerfctGoonion
Aug 11, 2016

by exmarx

botany posted:

You mean "universally not matriarchies". There's plenty of archaeological evidence for egalitarian societies.

(edit: in the sense that there's a rich data set to indicate that some societies were egalitarian, I'm not claiming they were especially common or even the norm.)

You are absolutely correct - I went too far then.

• Locked thread