Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

DiHK posted:

Spandau Citadel
looked it up and i had no idea about this, but that thing was last invested in 1945!

quote:

The Citadel's tracé à l'italienne design which although several hundred years old presented a difficult structure to storm. So instead of bombarding and storming the Citadel, the Soviets invested it and set about negotiating a surrender. After negotiations, the citadel's commander surrendered to the Lieutenant-General Perkhorovitch's 47th Army just after 15:00 on 1 May 1945, saving many lives and leaving the ancient infrastructure intact.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spandau_Citadel
I hope to God they used all the old conventions, but I bet they didn't.

Also, just how Catholic are you willing to get? Because Wuerzburg is Catholic as all gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

spectralent posted:

Depressingly it's still a shades of grey situation since the real pieces of poo poo were perfectly happy to worm their tentacles into a lot of people who were innocent or just wanted to keep their heads down, either coercively or via outright force. The poor sod from the Dirlewanger situation is SS because he got conscripted, for instance.

If you had to summarize too hard, I'd say all three stages aren't really wrong. Cartoonish villains built a society where all the shades of grey in people were used to drag people into being cartoonish villains.

Sorry I can't help but make the joke 50 shades of feldgrau.

Menelven
Mar 28, 2010
I was digging through a box today and found a translated account of my Polish Great-Grandmother's experiences in Nazi camps. I've typed it up because I found it interesting and horrifying, and thought some other people might find it interesting.

'Marianna nee Wawszczyk, born 01/09/1900

My account from the concentration camp'

Last address of residence: ul. Brzozowa 17/18, Warszawa
During the (Warsaw) Uprising, on 2 September 1944, Germans took me to the
concentration camp in Oświęcim. They took from me everything I had: my money,
jewellery; they stripped my clothing off me – my new fur. They shaved my hair to skin.
Next, they gave me filthy rags and big wooden boots and told me to put them on. The
boots slipped off my feet, and when I stumbled over them, a female SS guard used to hit
my head with a stick. Hunger was incredible; for the whole day we were given a tiny slice
of bread and a soup made from unpeeled potatoes; the soup was with sand – because
potatoes were not washed. Everyday we were taken to be cold showered. While we all
were standing naked, a German checked our teeth. On 18 September 1944 we were taken
to the Rawensbruck camp.
Number of the camp: 71864, Category: Political
Despite ground frost, we spent first 3 days under the walls, on the sand; we had no
garment, just shabby dresses, no stockings, shaved heads. They gave us no blankets and
no hot drinks. Behind the walls there was a gas chamber; nauseating smell of burning
bodies was rising from the chimneys. These were the bodies of dead women who died of
debility and camp illnesses. We were told that (…) - TEXT CUT OFF (…) even when we
wanted go to the toilet, otherwise we would be immediately sent to a bunker. Next, we
were taken to have a cold shower. Each of us was checked for gold by a German woman
on a gynecological table. In this death-trap, everyday we were woken up at 4 am by SS
men with dogs and then we had to stand on an assembly for a couple of hours in rain and
cold. We had only our rags on, nothing on our heads, we couldn't put anything on our
heads – if we did so, they would hit us. Sometimes, one could manage to wrap some piece
of paper from a palliasse around one's legs, so that it was warmer. However, not always it
was possible, as when you were caught, you were taken to a bunker. They used to beat
and kick us for nothing. Next, they took us to Buchenwald camp, number 34472, to
ammunition plant Meuselwitz, where I had to work. We could hear blitz during days and at
nights. During a blitz, Germans would lock us in the cellars under the plant. They would
hide themselves in shelters. One day, our camp was bombed. It was at the beginning of
March in 1945. Germans allowed us to hide in a forest which bordered with our camp. And
then, it was this forest which was bombed. Many women died. A bomb fell next to me and I
got covered with soil up to my waist. I couldn't walk. Since then, I wasn't asked to work at
the machine anymore. Then I worked in a commando only, clearing the ruble. On 12 April
1945, there was the evacuation of the camp. They led us for 25 km daily, in rain and snow;
we would sleep in a place where the night would set in: in ditches, with a stone under the
head and a wet blanket, as it was sleeting. On 9 May 1945, Germans left us in the Czech
Republic, where we met the Soviet Army. Joy was indescribable. We were liberated after
so many sufferings.
I returned to Warsaw on 25 May 1945 and got registered in the Polish Red Cross.
TEXT CUT OFF'

Her son, my Grandfather fought for the Free Polish, having managed to escape to England. After the end of the war, and when the Soviets weren't leaving, he settled here. Even lost his Polish citizenship, although he would occasionally go back to visit family.

He left us a badge from the solidarity movement, which I find fascination. Wish he had survived long so I could have got to know him, seems like an interesting man.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

P-Mack posted:

Taiping Tianguo
Part 27

[...]

So yeah, next update we'll catch up on the Arrow War. No idea when that will be as another babby is imminent and the concept of spare time will soon be a cruel joke.

First of all, congratulations!

Thanks for talking about this, I knew nothing about the Taiping War. In the current phase I feel kind of bad for Li Xiucheng since I'm a sucker for competent leaders on the losing side.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

HEY GAL posted:

Also, just how Catholic are you willing to get? Because Wuerzburg is Catholic as all gently caress.

Let me put it this way: I'm bringing a of copy of Ninety-five Theses and some double sided tape to St. Peters Basicilla, which the only actual church on the agenda.

Honestly the religiosity of the fortress doesn't matter to me in this case, I just wanted to squeeze a star fort into the Deutschland stage of the trip.

I still gotta figure out Rome apart from Popeland, Historic Rome and the Coliseum.

Dusty Baker 2 posted:

Her parents moved her to Dresden, btw

How can you cliff hang on that?

So I had a great Uncle who was a US medic and was involved in the Italian Campaign. I had another great Uncle who was an 88 gunner on the Ostfront. Everybody thought he died until he showed up in '51 having walked back from a POW camp. Then there's one of his brothers who died in a Nazi camp because :gay:, and then there's their Uncle who has a Nazi funded headstone complete with a swastika. He wasn't a soldier though, and nobody really knows what he was up to but he died in '43.

DiHK fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Aug 28, 2016

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

spectralent posted:

You'd think but my uncle and grandma don't seem to bear that out. They all seem to have a bit of a "It's a shame but it was what was happening" kind of view on it.

Yeah, I guess there's sort of an emergency release valve in the brain for that sort of thing.

How did people clean up battlefields back in the day? I mean taking care of the bodies seems simple enough, but how did they clean up all of the blood when there was a battle at a village or city or on somebody's crops? They can't just do daily life when the ground is all bloodstained, can they?

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

SlothfulCobra posted:

Yeah, I guess there's sort of an emergency release valve in the brain for that sort of thing.

How did people clean up battlefields back in the day? I mean taking care of the bodies seems simple enough, but how did they clean up all of the blood when there was a battle at a village or city or on somebody's crops? They can't just do daily life when the ground is all bloodstained, can they?

Why not?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
one sack that tilly's guys were involved in left the central fortress of the place they were sacking as bloody on the inside as though it had been painted and it stayed that way for years, but i can't find the name of the city

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

Somebody just posted a picture in the Venezuela thread of people queuing for bread with a bullet riddled dead body ten feet away.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's weird because there seem to be really different degrees of it. Gramps has his "funny war stories" but doesn't talk about the actual combat stuff that easily, but when he does he has a kind of quiet pride in it. Then we've got my friend's uncle, who once punched someone for saying "thank you for your service", and his grandpa, who used to tell him awesome action stories starring himself which my friend later realised meant his grandad had killed at least ten people and been shot twice.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

HEY GAL posted:

one sack that tilly's guys were involved in left the central fortress of the place they were sacking as bloody on the inside as though it had been painted and it stayed that way for years, but i can't find the name of the city

"My lord, the crossbowmen all have hand cramps from scrubbing the dirt!"
"drat, if only we didn't have to clean the blood out of everything... But them's the rules."

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

"My lord, the crossbowmen all have hand cramps from scrubbing the dirt!"
"drat, if only we didn't have to clean the blood out of everything... But them's the rules."
it's worth it to know that our organization cares so much about civilian mental wellbeing

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

"Your hauptmann shot a bullet through my window and killed my wife"

"Motherfucker we have to eat dinner SOMETIME"

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
The dream team of all-time generals has already been done, I read a lovely novel to that effect once. I don't remember it well, but I think it included Patton, Bonaparte, and Jackson and/or Lee, among a few others.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
it would take people from each period a while to "get" war from the other ones

17th century warfare would probably drive napoleon nuts

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Aug 29, 2016

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Dream team of admirals could be fun. Horatio Nelson, Chester Nimitz, and John Jellicoe are a good starting point.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Yeah, but it was bringing them all together in modern times for some reason, maybe Armageddon/Ragnorak?

I agree that any officer would be frustrated, at best, with soldiers from a century and change before, but conversely, once you get the guys from 1600 (BC or AD) to wrap their heads around the concept of tanks*, they'd love that poo poo, like the scenario of giving Wm. T. Sherman an M4 Medium (well, if we're going for that joke, probably better to give Jeb Stuart an M5 Light, because he'd immediately grok the tactics), I'm pretty sure even your guys -- or hell, even the Ancient Egyptian Pharoahs, they were big on chariot-mounted archers -- would jizz their pants (hose, loincloths, whatever) upon seeing the modern state of heavy cav/lancers/dragoons.

In that vein, can you even imagine showing Custer footage of his unit's recent actions? :3:

On a tangent, does anybody do brevet ranks (awarding a higher-ranking title, without the pay or command to go with it, unless they get really desperate) these days? It was a big thing in the ACW -- Custer, for example, was brevetted to Major General during the war, the returned to his "proper" rank of LTC commanding a short regiment after -- but modern armies probably give you medals instead.

*I wonder how much effort it would take to get, say, Wallenstein or a non-Stargate-verse ancient Egyptian to accept an M1 Abrams. At what point in history/what level of technology would they be more likely to accept "yeah, we have machines to do the job of horses" than Warhammer 40k-style "machine spirits 'n' poo poo"?

Cythereal posted:

Dream team of admirals could be fun. Horatio Nelson, Chester Nimitz, and John Jellicoe are a good starting point.
I'd pick Bull Halsey instead of Nimitz, because he was more in the vein of the other two. Kind of the whole point of the action at Leyte Gulf was to lure the Japanese fleet into the guns of the American battleships, but then Halsey fell for the decoy and took the Iowas off after the empty enemy carriers, and Taffy 3 and a couple of ancient BBs actually won the battle. Halsey really wanted to outdo Jellicoe, but missed his chance.

And add either Dönitz or Rickover for the submarine command.

Edit: Jellicoe wasn't THAT great, on the whole. He was the next best thing to Nelson, but ... using Nelson's tactics and kinda-maybe winning the big battle of his time, not a decisive victory like Nelson had. I'd swap him out for a destroyer guy in the all-star team, to cover all the bases.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Aug 29, 2016

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
People from uncontacted tribes can learn how to operate machinery, there's no reason anyone since the biological evolution of modern humans couldn't be taught how to drive and shoot and load.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
So that British tank effortpost eh? It's on a pc which decided to kill the gently caress out of itself. Annoyingly I wad past the "make list" and "find vool pictures" stages and onto actual writing :negative:
Fingers crossed the machine shall live again within the week.

Which neatly seagues in: to have a person understand a machine you teach them to take it apart and rebuild it. Teach them to be mechanics first, soldiers after.

ArchangeI posted:

So Clausewitz and Jomeni are irrelevant because neither predicted COIN warfare?
Depending on how you chose to read it, Clausewitz actually did.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

ArchangeI posted:

So Clausewitz and Jomeni are irrelevant because neither predicted COIN warfare?

They're irrelevant because everything worth saying about war was said by Sun Tzu. :colbert:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Goddamn, I got really busy right after the new thread started and it's taken the rest of the month to catch up. It's all been worth it though-this is by far the best goddamn thread on this entire forum.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
Re: historical fashion: http://www.nybooks.com/daily/2016/08/13/dressing-for-king-first-book-of-fashion-matthaus-schwarz/

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Xerxes17 posted:

Thread title suggestion: "Ask us about Military History: Operation Just Post".

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
What would people pick as a Nightmare Team of military leaders? Grigory Kulik in charge of armour, George McClellan in charge of military intel, Gaius Terentius Varro commanding the infantry, Napoleon Bonaparte handling the logistics?

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Delivery McGee posted:

Edit: Jellicoe wasn't THAT great, on the whole. He was the next best thing to Nelson, but ... using Nelson's tactics and kinda-maybe winning the big battle of his time, not a decisive victory like Nelson had. I'd swap him out for a destroyer guy in the all-star team, to cover all the bases.

Okay, this touches on a question we might have answered before but which I can not remember: Nelson was known (or is known today) for his great reliance on individual initiative of his captains - the whole "No Captain can do very wrong if he puts his ship alongside the enemy"-thing. I also understand that the Royal Navy pretty much declared him one of the lesser Gods of Warfare as soon as he died. People keep saying that in the rough century between Nelson's death and the start of WWI, the Royal Navy became an organization that de-emphasized initiative and rewarded blind obedience to flag signals, because they misinterpreted Nelson's command style. My question is this: what did the Royal Navy think Nelson did to make them come to that conclusion? How come no one challenged that view of Nelson?

Fangz posted:

What would people pick as a Nightmare Team of military leaders? Grigory Kulik in charge of armour, George McClellan in charge of military intel, Gaius Terentius Varro commanding the infantry, Napoleon Bonaparte handling the logistics?

Napoleon was fairly capable in terms of logistics. For real logistics fuckups you need someone like Erwin "My supply line runs through hundreds of kilometers of desert and across a sea that is heavily interdicted by the enemy, let's attack anyway because lol so random" Rommel.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
that outfit's got 4800 slashes in it, it says so in the caption. fancy

edit: wtf, she says you can't do anything in those clothes? that's bullshit. they are both comfortable and warm. and you keep everything up by lacing it together. yes, you have to re-tie your garters every now and then or else your stockings will fall down, but we have to re-tie our shoes now, don't we?

edit 2: yessssss

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Aug 29, 2016

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Delivery McGee posted:

*I wonder how much effort it would take to get, say, Wallenstein or a non-Stargate-verse ancient Egyptian to accept an M1 Abrams. At what point in history/what level of technology would they be more likely to accept "yeah, we have machines to do the job of horses" than Warhammer 40k-style "machine spirits 'n' poo poo"?
he knows what machines are, the real problem would be getting him to use them like cav instead of like artillery, which in the Imperial army of the time was large and stationary. spin it as "everyone can drive a carriage with a large gun on it now" and less like "cannon that take themselves to the field" and we're good

edit: just give them to pappenheim and stalhandsck, things'll sort themselves out

edit 2: i think i'd take baner off my team tbh, you can have drive and "Swedish aggressiveness" without getting careless and sloppy and that's Torstensson.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Aug 29, 2016

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Fangz posted:

Roman Ungern-Sternberg as political leader in charge of objectives. Why yes, I can forge a pan-european empire united to the beat of the reindeerhide drum, with only a brigade to my name, just watch me! :downsgun::hf::hist101:

Tias fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Aug 29, 2016

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

ArchangeI posted:

Napoleon was fairly capable in terms of logistics. For real logistics fuckups you need someone like Erwin "My supply line runs through hundreds of kilometers of desert and across a sea that is heavily interdicted by the enemy, let's attack anyway because lol so random" Rommel.

I think you mean Erwin "hosed up my supply lines so badly even Hitler knew what a bad idea it was" Rommel.

Also Halsey in charge of meteorology.

Yorktown's staff and air wing leadership pretty much all go on the dream team. It's kind of funny how much better they were at it than the rest of the early war carriers.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Aug 29, 2016

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tias posted:

Roman Ungern-Sternberg as political leader in charge of objectives. Why yes, I can forge a pan-european empire united to the beat of the reindeerhide drum, with only a brigade to my name, just watch me! :downsgun::hf::hist101:
the craziest Crazy General?

edit: put wallenstein and jackson in a room together :pwn::respek::pwn:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

xthetenth posted:

I think you mean Erwin "hosed up my supply lines so badly even Hitler knew what a bad idea it was" Rommel.

Also Halsey in charge of meteorology.
the gently caress is wrong with the way Nazis thought about that poo poo, it seems like an entire culture of no-planning bullshit, which Disinterested went into in detail after detail
what happened in their staff colleges? or did Nazism just make them all stupid

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

HEY GAL posted:

the gently caress is wrong with the way Nazis thought about that poo poo, it seems like an entire culture of no-planning bullshit, which Disinterested went into in detail after detail
what happened in their staff colleges? or did Nazism just make them all stupid

"Will".

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
so fascism makes you stupid, and suddenly you have a modern 20th century army reenacting the most dumb parts of the 17th century
:yeah:

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Aug 29, 2016

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

If you want to understand, then get strung out on terrible anime where the protagonist routinely undergoes a mental break or eventually builds up enough will through hardship to overcome the enemy in a climactic stike no matter what the material conditions are. The same narrativist mentality is the driver here.

No wonder there is such a crossover between anime shut ins and the alt-right.

Смерть фашистам, смерть Анимэ. :ussr:

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

HEY GAL posted:

so fascism makes you stupid, and suddenly you have a modern 20th century army reenacting the most dumb parts of the 17th century

Of all the zeitgeists that could enter the mainstream political thoughts, I wish "fascism makes you stupid" would win.

HEY GAL posted:

the craziest Crazy General?

edit: put wallenstein and jackson in a room together :pwn::respek::pwn:

Dude made Stalin and Hitler look like sensible strategists. "Oh hell, I'm the reincarnation of Kali, destroyer of worlds, why shouldn't I try to lead a mongol empire?" :pseudo:

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

HEY GAL posted:

If you wanted to be more charitable you could say that a significant part of it was getting hopped up on their own hype and believing that logistics didn't matter because they were going to win in weeks anyway.

On the other hand I dislike being charitable to nazis.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

spectralent posted:

If you wanted to be more charitable you could say that a significant part of it was getting hopped up on their own hype and believing that logistics didn't matter because they were going to win in weeks anyway.
but that's not what you prepare for, you prepare for the worst-case scenario whether or not it'll actually happen

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Fangz posted:

Raglan and Cardigan.

Oh wait, that happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

HEY GAL posted:

but that's not what you prepare for, you prepare for the worst-case scenario whether or not it'll actually happen

But the worst case scenario is we win a month! Can't you see?! :shepface: