Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
that's a drag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
what svn gui is best

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
eclipse or visual studio

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

fleshweasel posted:

what svn gui is best

not tortoise, that's 4 drat sho

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Luigi Thirty posted:

Hard Drivin' supported up to 5 (I think) game boards connected via serial link to the master board which showed the scene from different angles, multi monitor 3D in 1988

also since I got a promotion I'm spending $Texas on the Atari ST system I've wanted for 20 years

1040STf, VGA adapter, Marpet memory expansion to 4MB, hard drive emulator

gonna write hella 68000 asm on it

what about a TT, you could explore all the awesome poo poo the 68030 lets you do

hell you could port your 3D code to it

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

mit is pretty good but apache 2 is strictly better unless you have ideological objections to patent indemnification or something

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

How do people feel about BSD3? I'm trying to decide on a license for an astronomy library that I'm writing in Haskell, and the Haskell community seems to favor BSD3, so I was considering using that.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
it's fine

BSD-new or MIT can make things slightly easier for people who want to take and use something as part of a larger system but if everybody else is using BSD-3 then there's no reason not to use it

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

VikingofRock posted:

How do people feel about BSD3? I'm trying to decide on a license for an astronomy library that I'm writing in Haskell, and the Haskell community seems to favor BSD3, so I was considering using that.

4 clause is "i'm not endorsing your product, anything you release with this code needs to say it uses it"
3 clause is "just don't make it look like i'm endorsing your product"
2 clause is "just do whatever, idgaf"

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

VikingofRock posted:

go with what the community uses

i release all ruby things under an apache license, because that's what ruby hellfuckers want to see

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

use whats common in your industry/lang/framework. don't use wtfpl. if you have no drat idea at all, use mit

just dont use wtfpl

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Shaggar posted:

eclipse or visual studio

visual studio doesn't have a built in gui for this does it? I use visualsvn and its meh

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

eschaton posted:

what about a TT, you could explore all the awesome poo poo the 68030 lets you do

hell you could port your 3D code to it

TTs and Falcons are ridiculously expensive and I'm not spending 600 dollars on this idiot project I'll forget about in a month

I did grab a 68k assembler for the ST (the emulator and assembler both support all 68k series CPUs) and a bunch of ST reference manuals though. the software architecture is interesting

there's the BIOS which handles low-level peripheral interaction, the XBIOS which handles high-level hardware interaction, and GEMDOS which does all the fancy back-end TOS magic and provides a VT52-compatible text console too.

GEM provides the VDI device-independent graphics library (which uses graphics primitives run via invalid opcodes and an exception handler!) and the AES user interface which gives you a multitasking desktop.

and 500 pages of documentation to figure out how it all works together

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Aug 29, 2016

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Shaggar posted:

why would you use command line tools? are you from 1970?

I bet this joker doesn't even use the best development environment: Emacs

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Bloody posted:

use whats common in your industry/lang/framework. don't use wtfpl. if you have no drat idea at all, use mit

just dont use wtfpl

yah if you're gonna use a joke idiot license use abrms

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

don't use joke idiot licenses

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

fleshweasel posted:

visual studio doesn't have a built in gui for this does it? I use visualsvn and its meh

I use ankhsvn or w/e. it integrates w/ the vs team stuff.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

cinci zoo sniper posted:

thanks everyone for licencing advice, mit it is. i dont give a poo poo what all 0 people are going to do with it, as long as it's least amount of hassle for them

mit is the least amount of hassle

if you're looking to make it public domain, i'd recommend the cc0 license

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i use gpl3 for personal stuff with the attitude that if someone's gonna mess around with it and share-alike then have a blast but if they're gonna throw it into something thats closed off then gently caress you pay me

of course none of my personal projects are worth any of that but i can still pretend

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Bloody posted:

i think bloody might have revealed his trigger words by accident

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
given that we're going licence talk, on the off chance i ever finish my game i'd like to sell it, but still have the source be open.

is there a licence that's like "please don't just download and compile the source, remove the 'please consider buying/donating' message, and start selling it as your own. if you want to use snippets in your own projects though, or learn from this go nuts"

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
i mean i'm directly copying snippets from an apache licensed project in order to get things started for example

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

gonadic io posted:

given that we're going licence talk, on the off chance i ever finish my game i'd like to sell it, but still have the source be open.

is there a licence that's like "please don't just download and compile the source, remove the 'please consider buying/donating' message, and start selling it as your own. if you want to use snippets in your own projects though, or learn from this go nuts"

you can do this just by not including the non-code parts of the game (e.g. art assets, levels, etc.) in the bit you're open-sourcing. if someone wants to use your code for inspiration/copy your implementation of something/whatever they can totally do that, while if someone wants to take it and sell it themselves they have to put so much work in that it becomes more of a homage or a clone than a straight knock-off.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Jabor posted:

you can do this just by not including the non-code parts of the game (e.g. art assets, levels, etc.) in the bit you're open-sourcing. if someone wants to use your code for inspiration/copy your implementation of something/whatever they can totally do that, while if someone wants to take it and sell it themselves they have to put so much work in that it becomes more of a homage or a clone than a straight knock-off.

i see, so in order to do this i'd need non-code parts of my game and possibly also code parts of my game? i'll bear it in mind should i get that far.

fakeedit: https://github.com/djmcgill/carved/ but FFIing into unity is pissing me off so i'm rewriting the rendering in rust using gfx

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

yeah it's similar to how id open-sourced the quake engines, content remains non-free but the engine becomes GPL

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

gonadic io posted:

no licence (all rights reserved), but source on github

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

quiggy posted:

it only works with us because we're a small company. svn's branch support is so loving bad that i can't even begin to imagine it working in a setting of 10 or more programmers

uh, just develop on trunk? easy!

every time someone branches here it ranges from a small to a large mess. it's probably down to no one having much useful experience with svn (other than right click -> commit...) and our project structure being unbelievably lovely

i think svn would be fine with a better team. i don't like how slow it is when checking out a new branch, but eh

people who use svn properly: do you check out just trunk + relevant branches, or everything at once?

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

not tortoise, that's 4 drat sho

nah, tortoise is legit good

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

Hard Drivin' supported up to 5 (I think) game boards connected via serial link to the master board which showed the scene from different angles, multi monitor 3D in 1988

also since I got a promotion I'm spending $Texas on the Atari ST system I've wanted for 20 years

1040STf, VGA adapter, Marpet memory expansion to 4MB, hard drive emulator

gonna write hella 68000 asm on it

hard fuckin drivin' :woot: http://www.jmargolin.com/schem/schems.htm

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

huh. i thought :woot: was an emoticon.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
:woop:

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Bloody posted:

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
the most offensive thing about them to me is how they're not even funny

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

GameCube posted:

huh. i thought :woot: was an emoticon.
:w00t:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Symbolic Butt posted:

the most offensive thing about them to me is how they're not even funny

much like you're postinG!!!!

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

redleader posted:

uh, just develop on trunk? easy!

every time someone branches here it ranges from a small to a large mess. it's probably down to no one having much useful experience with svn (other than right click -> commit...) and our project structure being unbelievably lovely

i think svn would be fine with a better team. i don't like how slow it is when checking out a new branch, but eh

people who use svn properly: do you check out just trunk + relevant branches, or everything at once?

we just develop straight on trunk, but it only really works because we have a grand total of 5 software goons. i can't imagine a large project only on trunk

Skim Milk posted:

I bet this joker doesn't even use the best development environment: Emacs

vim supremacy motherfucker

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

quiggy posted:

you can run vim in emacs so emacs is a superset of vim and bigger is better unless you're some kind of america-hating hippie traitor

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Soricidus posted:

america-hating hippie traitor

this is me to a tee tho

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

theres nothing hard about multiple branch development on svn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

quiggy posted:

we just develop straight on trunk, but it only really works because we have a grand total of 5 software goons. i can't imagine a large project only on trunk

i've recently started using visual studio code for rust development on mac and i like it so far. a longer startup time than ST3 (so it won't replace it as my general text editor) but developed by an actual team, has support for ligatures ( https://github.com/tonsky/FiraCode ) which I like

• Locked thread