Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AMorePerfctGoonion
Aug 11, 2016

by exmarx

Hodgepodge posted:

The real question is: how low will the bar be set on a Trump debate "win"?

Will he have to clear a standard set in picometers, or will the media be using Planck units?

Planck units would be the most useful, since at that scale the uncertainty principle comes into play. As Trump's policy positions are a complete unknown, we can get an exact measure of his Joementum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Man, wouldn't it be nice if we had a national level voter database that gave out ID cards as well?

Oh right, STATES RIGHTS :911:

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Something something something Diebold.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

He's not in office anymore so I don't get why this is really newsworthy at this point.
I want to live in your world where this is true.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

iospace posted:

Man, wouldn't it be nice if we had a national level voter database that gave out ID cards as well?

Its almost like you want to set us up with the Mark of the Beast.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Feldegast42 posted:

Its almost like you want to set us up with the Mark of the Beast.

Burn it all down :devil:

e:
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/770259753880653824
Get wrecked, fuckers.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

iospace posted:

You'd have to have a new constitutional amendment turning over the entire voting process to the federal government to make that work.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

The free market works.

*notices it's 9:30am*

Oh look, the NYSE is about to open.

*points mat towards Wall Street*

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

William F Cuckley posted:

You'd have to have a new constitutional amendment turning over the entire voting process to the federal government to make that work.

You should read Article I Section 4 of the US Constitution, friend.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
that mylan generic will be a mere 3x the price of an epipen in 2007 :smith:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

AMorePerfctGoonion posted:

Really? Apart from the story that he speaks at a fourth grade level some months ago, the mainstream media seems focused on how outrageous his rhetoric is and not his mental incompetence. Jock and meathead don't really apply to older men, and empty suit isn't a stereotype about intelligence but about a lack of conviction. If, for example, Clinton displayed the same ignorance about basic policy issues and world politics (e.g. Crimea) I'm sure she'd be stereotyped as dumb chick.

Turn on MSNBC some time. for the past month they've made joyful schadenfreude their theme and it's amazing.

We're not in disagreement that it's much harder for women to be taken as intelligent. Hell, I've heard people call Clinton a moron and she's likely the most intelligent candidate to run in 20 years. I just don't think Palin was covered any differently than, say, Dubya.

I've always used and heard empty/stuffed suit as someone too clueless to make an impact. I wonder if there are regional differences? You're onto something with older men, all the ones I can think of are very specificaly targeted (yokel, Fudd, Fossil, relic)

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

emdash posted:

that mylan generic will be a mere 3x the price of an epipen in 2007 :smith:

There is some added demand thanks to the law allowing communal epipens in schools, though honestly, that demand should be fading by now. The "baseline" demand is still going to be higher than 2007, add in inflation...

And it still shouldn't be 3x the cost.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

You should read Article I Section 4 of the US Constitution, friend.

There's a lot more to it than just that.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

William F Cuckley posted:

There's a lot more to it than just that.

Not really, no.

peengers
Jun 6, 2003

toot toot

Feral Integral posted:

Wait so drunken boxing style is real? Know of any sweet vids?

Yes and no. A number of sets (think routines) have components of "drunken style" or are "drunken style" sets, but as a cohesive system I'm only aware of one person in the states that teaches it. That's Neil Ripski, he did a pretty good reddit AMA you can find here. As I understand it, the "completeness" of the system was kind of added by him. Kinda neat though.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Joementum posted:

Not really, no.

While I'm going to agree, the massive outcry on the right would effectively prevent such an action. Look at how they managed to gut the VRA and instantly went and passed laws that were blatantly racist.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Instant Sunrise posted:

Something something something Diebold.

It worries me some not in the old school "Diebold's rigging the elections for the neo-cons!!" way but in the fresh, modern "Vladimir Putin is literally having Russian Intelligence hack various US institutions with the aim of helping Trump get elected" way.

Like, Putin wants Trump to win this election so badly that it is palpable. Not only is trump personally tied to Russian money, he also doesn't give a poo poo about NATO (Putin's biggest boogieman) and would gladly let Russia do whatever the gently caress it wants while he enjoys being a Celebrity President.

Putin is pushing the envelope in regards to how overtly a foreign power can try to influence a US election. This is brand new territory here, unprecedented.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The drunken boxing tangent is missing the important part of that quote- what Trump is actually comparing the debates to is a rigged event that only resembles sports where wild, unpredictable upsets appear to happen but really everything was planned in advance including who wins. Which he should know because he's participated in it in the past.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

How are u posted:

It worries me some not in the old school "Diebold's rigging the elections for the neo-cons!!" way but in the fresh, modern "Vladimir Putin is literally having Russian Intelligence hack various US institutions with the aim of helping Trump get elected" way.

Like, Putin wants Trump to win this election so badly that it is palpable. Not only is trump personally tied to Russian money, he also doesn't give a poo poo about NATO (Putin's biggest boogieman) and would gladly let Russia do whatever the gently caress it wants while he enjoys being a Celebrity President.

Putin is pushing the envelope in regards to how overtly a foreign power can try to influence a US election. This is brand new territory here, unprecedented.

The problem is people on the right are accusing the dems of making a "RED SCARE" while their leader sucks off Putin :ussr:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

So are states going to do anything about this or is the slow ponderous heft of state-level governments too drat slow to make a move against this?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

iospace posted:

While I'm going to agree, the massive outcry on the right would effectively prevent such an action. Look at how they managed to gut the VRA and instantly went and passed laws that were blatantly racist.

Whether or not it's politically achievable is a separate question from it requiring an amendment to happen. Congress is fully empowered in the constitution to regulate federal elections. If they want to set up a national voter database and enroll everyone in it, allowing them to vote in federal elections with an ID card issued by a federal agency, they can do that without an amendment.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

It's pure gold.

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme

vyelkin posted:

Oh look, I was right because any article with that headline is 100% predictable.

Yeah, but I don't read it for a deeper understanding of people's positions, I read it because it's hilarious.

This loving article posted:

What I cannot do, as I realized this week, is live in a world where women who have just been told that they can terminate their pregnancies much more easily than they can acquire a tattoo can jump around in an estrogen-filled bacchanal in front of the Supreme Court and think that this is civilization.
But more than that, because I have been wearing spiritual black for those children for over 40 years now, I mourned the death of a belief to which I had clung for those same four decades: the idea that, at heart, Americans were decent people who really could acknowledge the difference between lies of convenience and inconvenient truths.
I am like that animal, caught in a trap, who will do anything to survive, even if it means chewing off her paw. I am chewing off my paw by voting for the person running against Clinton. I am bleeding. But it is the only way that I can try to find my way to freedom from what is, to me, sophistry, egotism and barbarity.

Seriously, this sort of thing is a major reason why I read these threads. Came for the news, stayed for the horrible people and their horrible views.

Also, estrogen-filled bacchanals would make SCOTUS transcripts waaaaay more entertaining.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

How are u posted:

So would Putin still think he could get Trump elected, even if he hacked every state? I hate that the idea of this merely being massive data breaches for Russian mob types is the lesser evil.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Phone posted:

It's pure gold.

The Germans all thinking this is just a good faith accident, hang a phonetic spelling of Deutsche in the lobby, but nothing changes.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

iospace posted:

The problem is people on the right are accusing the dems of making a "RED SCARE" while their leader sucks off Putin :ussr:

Somebody should really tell them that modern Russia is kleptocratic, not communist...

AMorePerfctGoonion
Aug 11, 2016

by exmarx

Eifert Posting posted:

Turn on MSNBC some time. for the past month they've made joyful schadenfreude their theme and it's amazing.

Yeah, I'm not usually a fan of morning joe but the sheer undisguised disgust of Mika has been pretty awesome. Maddows been great too lately but then I totally have a crush on her

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

N00ba the Hutt posted:

Yeah, but I don't read it for a deeper understanding of people's positions, I read it because it's hilarious.

Seriously, this sort of thing is a major reason why I read these threads. Came for the news, stayed for the horrible people and their horrible views.

Also, estrogen-filled bacchanals would make SCOTUS transcripts waaaaay more entertaining.

Why is it that these moral crusaders only seem to care about life before birth? I mean, she flat out says that preventing abortions is more important than anything else, even if Trump being in charge leads to millions of deaths of currently existing humans.

You'd think that if they were so offended by the idea of abortion, they'd help supply education and contraception or even endorse adoption programs, but nope! They expect to do absolutely nothing but wag their fingers at anyone pregnant who doesn't want to be.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

iospace posted:

There is some added demand thanks to the law allowing communal epipens in schools, though honestly, that demand should be fading by now. The "baseline" demand is still going to be higher than 2007, add in inflation...

They specifically pushed the law prior to raising the price...

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Douchebank sounds like some new-age blockchain evangelist poo poo.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Geostomp posted:

Why is it that these moral crusaders only seem to care about life before birth? I mean, she flat out says that preventing abortions is more important than anything else, even if Trump being in charge leads to millions of deaths of currently existing humans.

You'd think that if they were so offended by the idea of abortion, they'd help supply education and contraception or even endorse adoption programs, but nope! They expect to do absolutely nothing but wag their fingers at anyone pregnant who doesn't want to be.

It's amazing how much of our government is the result of "My sex life isn't fulfilling and yours shouldn't be either, especially if you're a woman."

That's how we choose presidents in this country.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

RIP Kelli Ward's AZ Senate campaign.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sL0d706DiHY

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Reminder: George W. Bush had a team of very good debate preppers and spent more time doing research than Al Gore. Bush was widely considered to have "won" the debate despite giving a technically worse performance because Al Gore focused too much on policy, scared people by saying that we needed to use the surplus for social security instead of tax cuts, and was disrespectful and arrogant by sighing and shaking his head while Bush spoke.

Expectations are rock bottom for Trump. If he doesn't have an obvious meltdown people will say they were surprised by how well he did.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Fitzy Fitz posted:

It's amazing how much of our government is the result of "My sex life isn't fulfilling and yours shouldn't be either, especially if you're a woman."

That's how we choose presidents in this country.

Well, it helps when half of the religions in the country are nodding and saying the same thing.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Aug 29, 2016

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Geostomp posted:

Wish I'd saved that image someone posted upthread comparing the motivations of anti-abortion activists with the idea that abortion is murder versus the idea that women shouldn't be having sex.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Well, it helps when half of the religions in the county are nodding and saying the same thing.

We don't deserve to join the Galactic Federation.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Reminder: George W. Bush had a team of very good debate preppers and spent more time doing research than Al Gore. Bush was widely considered to have "won" the debate despite giving a technically worse performance because Al Gore focused too much on policy, scared people by saying that we needed to use the surplus for social security instead of tax cuts, and was disrespectful and arrogant by sighing and shaking his head while Bush spoke.

Expectations are rock bottom for Trump. If he doesn't have an obvious meltdown people will say they were surprised by how well he did.

Remember that shaking your head while your opponent spoke was disrespectful in 2000. I bet about 40% of the country will be very happy if Trump makes silly faces and flips Hillary the bird the entire time she's speaking.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

yep there is an almost 100% chance the media will push a Trump-positive narrative after debate 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AMorePerfctGoonion
Aug 11, 2016

by exmarx
Just to gently caress with pro-lifers I want to build a device I call the Zygote Holocaust Engine. You just throw in a bucket of sperm and a few million discarded ova, and it automatically fertilizes each egg and then deep fries the lot. Does that make me a psychopath?

AMorePerfctGoonion fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Aug 29, 2016

• Locked thread