Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

gonadic io posted:

i've recently started using visual studio code for rust development on mac and i like it so far. a longer startup time than ST3 (so it won't replace it as my general text editor) but developed by an actual team, has support for ligatures ( https://github.com/tonsky/FiraCode ) which I like

i totally get why people like ides but i literally cannot write code in anything other than vim any more without accidentally peppering my code with vim commands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

quiggy posted:

i totally get why people like ides but i literally cannot write code in anything other than vim any more without accidentally peppering my code with vim commands

maybe try one of the ides with decent vim emulation, such as all of them

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Soricidus posted:

maybe try one of the ides with decent vim emulation, such as all of them

ive hosed about with this in both visual studio and eclipse and couldn't get either to work

admittedly this was some time ago so maybe they have improved

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

what do you sorry plangers use for developing ruby?

i may be joining your ranks :(

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
gin

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

the great part about programming is that, as a non-ruby person, i don't know if you're recommending a software package called gin or the literal alcoholic beverage gin

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

quiggy posted:

the great part about programming is that, as a non-ruby person, i don't know if you're recommending a software package called gin or the literal alcoholic beverage gin

was about to post exactly this

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

redleader posted:

people who use svn properly: do you check out just trunk + relevant branches, or everything at once?
check out branch, do work, check out trunk, merge, delete branch from server

idk if this is the correct way but it's how i do it

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

HoboMan posted:

was about to post exactly this

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

quiggy posted:

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

quiggy posted:

ive hosed about with this in both visual studio and eclipse and couldn't get either to work

admittedly this was some time ago so maybe they have improved

ideavim for the jetbrains ides is the best one, but i've never used their c++ ide.

or c++.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

jony neuemonic posted:

their c++ ide.

its good

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

HoboMan posted:

what do you sorry plangers use for developing ruby?

i may be joining your ranks :(

a lot of self-loathing

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

redleader posted:

nah, tortoise is legit good

I am quite sure that tortoisesvn is a disaster. if you are ever unlucky enough to have tortoise start prompting you to clean up your enlistment, it is hosed and you need to just salvage what files you can in a patch and start again on a fresh enlistment.

gonadic io posted:

i've recently started using visual studio code for rust development on mac and i like it so far. a longer startup time than ST3 (so it won't replace it as my general text editor) but developed by an actual team, has support for ligatures ( https://github.com/tonsky/FiraCode ) which I like

why are you starting your editor more than a few times a day max

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

fleshweasel posted:

why are you starting your editor more than a few times a day max

subl ~/.bash_profile

git rebase -i

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

my favorite part is "we got the guy who literally wrote the book on car modeling to help us model dynamics and it was top secret state of the art in 1987"

"also the car model has 2 wheels because the 34010 doesn't have floating point"

while playing one of those games in MAME I discovered a switch setting that gives you dynamics debug info on the screen if you're in game and a model viewer if you're not

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Aug 29, 2016

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
tps: i have successfully spent a day or so porting somebody else's hashtable from c++ to rust and it is 20 times slower than rust's built-in one. aww yeah

https://github.com/djmcgill/rash

code:
#[bench]
fn bench_insert_rash(b: &mut test::Bencher) {
    b.iter(|| {
        let mut hash_map = HashTable::<IdentityBuildHasher, u64, u64>::from_hash_builder(IdentityBuildHasher);
        for i in 0..1000 { assert!(hash_map.insert(&i, &i).is_ok()) }
    })
}

#[bench]
fn bench_insert_std(b: &mut test::Bencher) {
    b.iter(|| {
        let mut hash_map = HashMap::<u64, u64, IdentityBuildHasher>::with_hasher(IdentityBuildHasher);
        for i in 0..1000 { assert!(hash_map.insert(i, i).is_none()) }
    })
}
> cargo bench
test tests::bench_insert_rash ... bench: 244,070 ns/iter (+/- 63,829)
test tests::bench_insert_std ... bench: 14,922 ns/iter (+/- 9,644)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

gonadic io posted:

tps: i have successfully spent a day or so porting somebody else's hashtable from c++ to rust and it is 20 times slower than rust's built-in one. aww yeah

https://github.com/djmcgill/rash

code:
#[bench]
fn bench_insert_rash(b: &mut test::Bencher) {
    b.iter(|| {
        let mut hash_map = HashTable::<IdentityBuildHasher, u64, u64>::from_hash_builder(IdentityBuildHasher);
        for i in 0..1000 { assert!(hash_map.insert(&i, &i).is_ok()) }
    })
}

#[bench]
fn bench_insert_std(b: &mut test::Bencher) {
    b.iter(|| {
        let mut hash_map = HashMap::<u64, u64, IdentityBuildHasher>::with_hasher(IdentityBuildHasher);
        for i in 0..1000 { assert!(hash_map.insert(i, i).is_none()) }
    })
}
> cargo bench
test tests::bench_insert_rash ... bench: 244,070 ns/iter (+/- 63,829)
test tests::bench_insert_std ... bench: 14,922 ns/iter (+/- 9,644)

unless i'm missing something you appear to have an O(n) lookup?

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

wait how do you even download ruby on rails?

the giant link on their homepage saying "Latast Version - 5.0.0.1" (lol numbering) just goes to a blog post that only has the checksum on it and various links to patch notes.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

unless i'm missing something you appear to have an O(n) lookup?

hurf, thats your open addressing implementation

i bet you have some really high load factor, which makes sense because your dynamic array's doubling will get to 1024 and you're at 1000 elements. rust's map appears to use robin hood hashing instead of your linear probing implementation. take a look at the giant comment block in rust's map implementation starting at line 89 https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/blob/master/src/libstd/collections/hash/map.rs

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

HoboMan posted:

wait how do you even download ruby on rails?

the giant link on their homepage saying "Latast Version - 5.0.0.1" (lol numbering) just goes to a blog post that only has the checksum on it and various links to patch notes.

gem install rails

http://guides.rubyonrails.org/getting_started.html#installing-rails

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

that's what's on their homepage because if you're using rails you're either just starting out (and should be using a tutorial or reading their "getting started" page), you know how to do it already, or you're maintaining legacy apps

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

more like gin install rails

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Luigi Thirty posted:

GEM provides the VDI device-independent graphics library (which uses graphics primitives run via invalid opcodes and an exception handler!)

this is also how the entire classic Mac OS worked, it didn't use TRAP at all, most every call was a different A-line instruction (the ST took this idea from the Mac)

it's pretty awesome, easy for assemblers and disassemblers to deal with, and more compact too because you don't even have to load a selector into a register or anything before a call

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

oh it's just a framework

i was hoping it was an ide of some form

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Shaggar posted:

why would you use command line tools? are you from 1970?

probably the biggest tell you're dealing with a bad programmer is their hand leaves the keyboard to reach for a mouse

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

so loving future posted:

probably the biggest tell you're dealing with a bad programmer is their hand leaves the keyboard to reach for a mouse

:smith:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

eschaton posted:

this is also how the entire classic Mac OS worked, it didn't use TRAP at all, most every call was a different A-line instruction (the ST took this idea from the Mac)

it's pretty awesome, easy for assemblers and disassemblers to deal with, and more compact too because you don't even have to load a selector into a register or anything before a call

I'm surprised at how not terrible the assembler package (Devpac 3) I'm using is other than the bizarre key combinations in the debugger

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

so loving future posted:

Along those lines, in a team meeting, years ago: "I hit Ctrl-Shift-F in Eclipse and it formatted my code???" No follow-up statement of what it should have done instead.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

CPColin posted:

Along those lines, in a team meeting, years ago: "I hit Ctrl-Shift-F in Eclipse and it formatted my code???" No follow-up statement of what it should have done instead.
i would expect ctrl-shift-f to be advanced search functionality

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i would expect ctrl-shift-f to be advanced search functionality

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

ya, reformat my code is ctrl-e ctrl-f

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

CPColin posted:

Find In Path

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

so loving future posted:

oh whatever, lets jerk off over our .vimrc files while while we're busy being smug pricks

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

so is there a """good""" ruby ide-like thing?

i installed the only thing i could find claiming to be an ide and i have no idea how to even open a file with it lol

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

oh don't worry about it, that's just elitist masturbatory horseshit

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

oh whatever, lets jerk off over our .vimrc files while while we're busy being smug pricks

lol, just lol if you aren't coding with a hololens literally all the time

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

sec guys let me upload my mouse dpi profile, we'll get this poo poo back on track

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

today i essentially got paid to read hacker news for six hours. my blood smug levels are well above fifteen picoGrahams and my skin is growing blisters in the shape of counterfeit h1b visas. send help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

HoboMan posted:

so is there a """good""" ruby ide-like thing?

i installed the only thing i could find claiming to be an ide and i have no idea how to even open a file with it lol

see above re: gin

• Locked thread