Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I keep all my stuff in Sanctuary, and I don't think it's ever been attacked in any of my playthroughs. Then again, I rarely make it above level 30, so maybe it tends to happen more at higher levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Orange Sunshine posted:

I keep all my stuff in Sanctuary, and I don't think it's ever been attacked in any of my playthroughs. Then again, I rarely make it above level 30, so maybe it tends to happen more at higher levels.

It only really happened to me when I was arriving at Sanctuary. The swarms of missiles and lasers usually resolved the issue before the settlers could do anything though.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Yeah, I've only seen Sanctuary attacked the once, when the game prompts you to put up defenses early on.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Not only does Sanctuary never get attacked during my playthroughs, but I barely defend it.

I generally put up 2 turrets, and I usually have about 20 food and about 150 water. This should make it an enormous target, but it doesn't get touched.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Also, I imagine it's this way for everyone, but if you put up a few laser turrets at the corner where the road curves around the parking lot at Red Rocket, about every third time I come home to drop off or melt down some stuff, there's just this brief moment of fire and a whole new stack of Rust Devil corpses to pick over.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Sanctuary definitely got attacked at least once for me. Forgot I had a few monster cages active and that attracted some nasties.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
Okay so now I'm trying to figure out why my pipboy is broken.

See that? You can barely see anything.

These are the mods I've installed.

Does anyone have a clue what's going on? The weird thing is that I've deactivated every mod once and relaunched the game, but the problem persists every time.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

botany posted:

Does anyone have a clue what's going on? The weird thing is that I've deactivated every mod once and relaunched the game, but the problem persists every time.

Optimize the game in your nvidia settings. Fixed it for me :)

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

botany posted:

Its an nVidia issue.Turn ambient occlusion to HBAO or off.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Lima posted:

Optimize the game in your nvidia settings. Fixed it for me :)

Holy poo poo, thanks, that fixed it!

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
One funny and half suicidal thing I figured out a week or so ago:

Turrets will never kill settlers, only "disable" them. However, if the settler is a filthy synth spy, it will die.

So if you want to cleanse your settlement of infiltrators, just nuke your settlement with your own turrets.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Rinkles posted:

You can build a closed off room, with no doorway walls, accessing what's inside by "lifting" a wall in workshop mode (you don't even have to place it elsewhere - it'll be passable as long as it's "picked up").

I wanted to do this in Hangman's Alley, but space considerations made it impracticable/a hassle.

e:I never tested if the AI could spawn inside inaccessible rooms, though

I've got Deathclaws on the roofs, 3rd-floot walkways and inside rooms of abandoned houses in Sanctuary, and have found settlers spawned eight stories up on a floating platform at Zimonja - only access is via the fast travel target. :argh:

Oh, and a provisioner somehow managed to clip into my walled-in power plant at Hangman's Alley while I was working down the other end, then aggro'd after I fell off a platform nearby in power armor. Deathclaws inside a different walled-in plant, I think Spectacle Island, and robots all over.

If you want to see more attacks, build cages. :getin: Sanctuary has 1x Gunner and Raider cages, plus the (now unused) 2x Deathclaw cages. (There's more giant murderlizards than settlers/shopkeepers there now. :unsmigghh:) Spectacle Isle has 2x Raider/Gunner and 2x Deathclaw, but I'm still stocking there.

When Nuka drops and I can make Raider camps, I may take over that pissy little homestead down near the southwest Gunner vault, and rack it high with bug cages, just to see if I can get a bigass swarm of stingwings and bloodbugs going. Might make someplace into a cattle ranch, by putting down a bunch of Brahmin troughs setting cages. :clint:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I also like having Starlight Drive-In guarded by tamed feral ghouls. Just a bunch of zombies watching movies.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Speedball posted:

I also like having Starlight Drive-In guarded by tamed feral ghouls. Just a bunch of zombies watching movies.

Too bad you can't take over that drive-in at Far Harbor - working projectors, even!

Found out this weekend, while recovery-raiding power armor frames, that if you clear an area, fast-travel our and return, Raiders will sometimes have moved in before the corpses have even despawned - had it happen at the Cambridge police station and the freeway deck at Quincy. (Copshop is nice, - even though I wiped the airship, it's still manned by 7-9 or so BoS goons, both inside and out, one in power armor. That one little observation post out by the Edge of the Glowing Sea also respawns 1x armored, 1x non-armored and 1x turret.)

Right now, I have enough armor parts minus frames to equip every single settler/companion capable of wearing PA. :black101:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
So the new DLC is just a "I'm tired of being forced to the good guy, now I'm a raider boss" area? They really haven't learned what layers of grey means, have they?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Too bad you can't take over that drive-in at Far Harbor - working projectors, even!

Found out this weekend, while recovery-raiding power armor frames, that if you clear an area, fast-travel our and return, Raiders will sometimes have moved in before the corpses have even despawned - had it happen at the Cambridge police station and the freeway deck at Quincy. (Copshop is nice, - even though I wiped the airship, it's still manned by 7-9 or so BoS goons, both inside and out, one in power armor. That one little observation post out by the Edge of the Glowing Sea also respawns 1x armored, 1x non-armored and 1x turret.)

Right now, I have enough armor parts minus frames to equip every single settler/companion capable of wearing PA. :black101:

When I found out that switching projectors at the Far Harbor drive-in causes all the ferals to shuffle over to the other side I couldn't stop laughing.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
Is there any reliable fix to the bug where textures don't load in correctly? Thicket Excavations is a complete mess with the distance textures still loaded in, and the door to the little shack north of Sanctuary where the sentry bot lives looks washed-out and closed despite being open.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

botany posted:

Is there any reliable fix to the bug where textures don't load in correctly? Thicket Excavations is a complete mess with the distance textures still loaded in, and the door to the little shack north of Sanctuary where the sentry bot lives looks washed-out and closed despite being open.

I just quit to main menu and continued if it was really bad or loaded a low res model of a building without a door. It fixed all the distance texture problems, but I had to shut down and restart the console to fix the rainbow colored fog glitch.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
Bethesda fix your loving game(s) :mad:

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

botany posted:

Bethesda fix your loving game(s) :mad:

This is an incredibly silly hill for so many people to choose to die upon, it'll never ever happen.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Magmarashi posted:

This is an incredibly silly hill for so many people to choose to die upon, it'll never ever happen.

I know. I'm also not sure stuff like the texture bug is something they could really fix within the existing engine even if they wanted to. I just want them to spend some cash on actually making a better engine (and then hiring competent writers).

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Transistor Rhythm posted:

I finally picked this game back up after taking 6 months off or so and finished it. I've never felt more insulted or disappointed in an endgame scenario in any game I've ever played, and I'm a gamer going back to the Atari 2600. How is it that in a world where we get the outcry over the "Mass Effect 3" ending THIS game wasn't a loving international incident? No matter what you choose, you're artificially funneled into "slaughter the other factions like a mass murderer." I was guffawing at the insane hilarity of the Railroad saving the synths by...mass-murdering humans and synths. You've got to be kidding me!

Mass Effect 3 billed itself as a conclusion to a trilogy and you spent decent portions of all 3 games making decisions that all promised a payoff to a greater or lesser degree. Save the Council? Free the Rachid? What are you going to do with the Krogans? How about the whole Quarian/Geth affair?

And not only do you never get a sense that these decisions pay off, except in terms of how much multiplayer you needed to get the best pre-final cutscene, but none of them ever play forward into the final momentous decision you're asked to make.

Fallout 4, on the other hand, gave you decisions like "HATE NEWSPAPERS" and "SARCASTIC", and while it's certainly mocked for those, none of them really promised much in the way of a payoff.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

botany posted:

I know. I'm also not sure stuff like the texture bug is something they could really fix within the existing engine even if they wanted to. I just want them to spend some cash on actually making a better engine (and then hiring competent writers).
They also have to spend money and time training a bunch of people for said better engine :effort:

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
There is exactly one choice in Fallout 4 that matters: What weapon you use to ruthlessly murder Father in cold blood, right in the middle of the Institute, with. Myself, I went Super Sledge.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Crabtree posted:

So the new DLC is just a "I'm tired of being forced to the good guy, now I'm a raider boss" area? They really haven't learned what layers of grey means, have they?

Apparently Far Harbour was really good at shades of grey, by Bethesda standards anyway, so Nuka World sounds like a bit of a backslide.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

2house2fly posted:

Apparently Far Harbour was really good at shades of grey, by Bethesda standards anyway, so Nuka World sounds like a bit of a backslide.

The Pitt was also fairly good at muddying the waters of what otherwised looked like a straight up black and white situation.

But yes, outside a few writers/quest designers Bethesda really has a hard time with compelling stories. It's really my main complait with this game. They built an amazing world and the game does look great aside from the odd technical issue but they have a hard time coming up with a story that doesn't smack of lack of effort.

If you're going to stick with a classic story of Goods vs. Evil great, thats fine, but please write it better than I could've done so in grade 4.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I don't think the problem is good vs. evil, it's that Bethesda try to make most of their scenarios DEEP and MEANINGFUL and REALISTIC by making sure that THE TRUTH IS SOMEWHERE IN THE MIDDLE, MAN, which means making every faction a bunch of assholes in some fashion. They don't want you to have to pick between heroes and villains, they want you to have to pick "what flavor of rear end in a top hat do I want to be this playthrough." Like the Railroad end up being sanctimonious pricks who don't actually care about the commonwealth, just their own method of doing poo poo, the Brotherhood can't be the actually cool dudes from FO3, they have to be a bunch of fascists, and the Institute (who are already a bunch of murdering, kidnapping assholes) get their time in the sun to be "oh we're actually doing good things down here! We can make a better tomorrow!" so they're not actually just nazi zombie mutants you can just mow down without remorse.

It's the same reason why I didn't advance the Empire or Stormcloak plots in Skyrim at all when I played - they're both a bunch of assholes, no matter who's actually got the moral high ground.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

2house2fly posted:

There wasn't a true legion esque rear end in a top hat faction in the base game, so nuka world is much appreciated.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
So Nuka World is going to be a reversal of the typical "good option gets you a quest line and great reward, bad option gives you an immediate okayish reward with no strings attached" paradigm, isn't it? I've heard the "good route" is just killing all the raiders, which makes it shorter than Automatron, while the bad route is the actual questline that constitutes the whole point of the DLC.

I don't mind being closed off from quests due to my choices - if anything it's a rather ballsy move - but it's going to be a letdown for the finale of this game to basically be an expanded iteration of the Combat Zone scenario if you play as a non-sociopath. I guess Bethesda just assumed most people disconnected with their game's narrative and became psychopaths, which probably isn't far off the mark.

Is there any truth to the raiders in Nuka World being an endgame faction like RR or BoS? I don't remember where I heard that but it was the only interesting thing I remember hearing about the DLC.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Allen Wren posted:

I don't think the problem is good vs. evil, it's that Bethesda try to make most of their scenarios DEEP and MEANINGFUL and REALISTIC by making sure that THE TRUTH IS SOMEWHERE IN THE MIDDLE, MAN, which means making every faction a bunch of assholes in some fashion. They don't want you to have to pick between heroes and villains, they want you to have to pick "what flavor of rear end in a top hat do I want to be this playthrough." Like the Railroad end up being sanctimonious pricks who don't actually care about the commonwealth, just their own method of doing poo poo, the Brotherhood can't be the actually cool dudes from FO3, they have to be a bunch of fascists, and the Institute (who are already a bunch of murdering, kidnapping assholes) get their time in the sun to be "oh we're actually doing good things down here! We can make a better tomorrow!" so they're not actually just nazi zombie mutants you can just mow down without remorse.

It's the same reason why I didn't advance the Empire or Stormcloak plots in Skyrim at all when I played - they're both a bunch of assholes, no matter who's actually got the moral high ground.

To be fair, based on previous games the FO3 Brotherhood was more of an aberration than the FO4 version. I mean the FO4 version is still dumb because rather than being a bunch of extreme isolationists they're all "COMMONWEALTH YOU ARE UNDER OUR PROTECTION, PURGE THE UNCLEAN", but they're at least kind of sticking to the primary motivation their faction has stood for in the series (hence why they consider the institute a threat, since they aren't just tinkering with old world technology but actually inventing NEW things).

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
you see the IRONY is that the brotherhood is now the NEW enclave

isn't that HILARIOUS

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I'd be shocked if the same people complaining about FO4's moral ambiguity weren't also complaining about FO3's lack of it years ago.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Deified Data posted:

I'd be shocked if the same people complaining about FO4's moral ambiguity weren't also complaining about FO3's lack of it years ago.

Well, for me, personally, I was pretty okay with FO3. My complaints about that game were pretty well addressed by NV and 4. (mostly that the wastelands of northern Virginia were a little too waste-ish, and the deserts of Nevada were less desert-y than Virginia, and FO4's landscape is fantastic) The good guys being cool and good was not a thing I griped about.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Does anyone know if any of the companions are expected to have a ton of extra dialogue in Nuka World? (Like Valentine did for Far Harbor)

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

It would have been cool if there was a *~shocking twist~* that the Brotherhood literally was the Enclave and that they'd killed off all the Eastern Brotherhood of Steel then just assumed their identity.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Allen Wren posted:

Actually the Empire were clearly the good guys.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I would actually argue that "everyone's an rear end in a top hat" is one of the few things F4 got right and more in line with every other non-F3 game. You just get to decide which group's values are important enough that you'd possibly commit war crimes on their behalf. Except the Minutemen I guess, but they're a boring non-choice.

It was also nice that there were actual, you know, joinable factions this time, with quests and everything, which is also something every Fallout except F3 had (though they were pretty sparse in F1, but the game did have the evil join-the-mutants ending which was baller as gently caress).

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Wolfsheim posted:

I would actually argue that "everyone's an rear end in a top hat" is one of the few things F4 got right and more in line with every other non-F3 game. You just get to decide which group's values are important enough that you'd possibly commit war crimes on their behalf. Except the Minutemen I guess, but they're a boring non-choice.

It was also nice that there were actual, you know, joinable factions this time, with quests and everything, which is also something every Fallout except F3 had.

The thing the game is still missing is a "gently caress all y'all, sort out your own poo poo" option. I'm still not sure why literally every faction turns to the player character as the ultimate judge of their fate within minutes of first meeting them.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

fallout 4's quest design is generally okay and storywise serviceable outside of the main quest, which is probably a result of the dunning-kruger effect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
fallout 4 is downloading a 3.1 gb patch for me

• Locked thread