Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

is that a joke? because i feel like i remember having to type out macros using a virtual keyboard to make any of my abilities useful

You can still use your keyboard for typing.

The controller just makes it easier to move around in game and to access the archaic menu system this game has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Celador posted:

It's also a game that was developed for the PS2 so playing with a controller will make your time in game much easier, IMHO.

This is very bad advice. You will probably never use your mouse, but make sure you have a full-size keyboard with an attached number pad.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

I always played on compact :v: WASD movement, arrow keys for the camera. Made perfect sense to me :shrug:

Incidentally, anyone remember this beast? My older brother played on PS2 and had this. I thought it was surprisingly comfortable!

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Philip Rivers posted:

I always played on compact :v: WASD movement, arrow keys for the camera. Made perfect sense to me :shrug:

Incidentally, anyone remember this beast? My older brother played on PS2 and had this. I thought it was surprisingly comfortable!

I use the numpad for movement and targeting, and my thumb on the arrow keys to control the camera. Leaves my left hand free to navigate menus and macros. I used to have a keyboard with an esc button under the numpad, that was the best for FFXI.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Philip Rivers posted:

I kinda want one of those just because.

I actually almost started playing FFXI in its prime back in the day. I convinced my parents to buy the PS2 bundle with the HDD. I get it home and my parents were kind enough to let me know that we didn't have internet so I couldn't play the game, so I had to take it back.

I sometimes wonder how different my life would be if I actually got to play such a game in my formative years. I didn't play any MMO period until I was well in my 20s.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

I was addicted to FFXI but I was also a teenage shut-in. I don't regret playing it but I do wonder if my middle/high school years would have been different if I didn't play MMOs.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Philip Rivers posted:

I was addicted to FFXI but I was also a teenage shut-in. I don't regret playing it but I do wonder if my middle/high school years would have been different if I didn't play MMOs.

I feel the same way. When I was in high school I was not able to control myself and I would play all hours of the night. I would be sleepy all throughout the school day. Everything thought I was just stoned, it was funny. When I got to college, I focused more on my studies and getting laid, I still played mmos, but my goal was to not flunk out and get honey on my stinger.

Did you have a similar experience?

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

I have one of these, with the original box, in a closet. And a PS2 HDD with network adapter, also with their original box. I wonder if they will be worth any $$$ one day?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Philip Rivers posted:

There was a similar controller for Gamecube; it was very expensive and it was only good for Phantasy Star Online. The Dreamcast also had a dedicated keyboard and a modest collection of online games so you could get way more mileage out of it.

The early 2000's were an interesting time for online console gaming...

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Celador posted:

I have one of these, with the original box, in a closet. And a PS2 HDD with network adapter, also with their original box. I wonder if they will be worth any $$$ one day?

Nope. There are only a small small handful of ps2 games that use the hd. None of which work anymore. The ps3 has/had hdd emulation for ps2 games as well.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

frodnonnag posted:

Nope. There are only a small small handful of ps2 games that use the hd. None of which work anymore. The ps3 has/had hdd emulation for ps2 games as well.

You can still leverage the HDD to get better loading times in Resident Evil Outbreak, I think.

In other news I'm having more fun with this game than I anticipated. There's something about the exploration that gives the game a cool sense of mystery.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

SettingSun posted:

I kinda want one of those just because.

I actually almost started playing FFXI in its prime back in the day. I convinced my parents to buy the PS2 bundle with the HDD. I get it home and my parents were kind enough to let me know that we didn't have internet so I couldn't play the game, so I had to take it back.

I sometimes wonder how different my life would be if I actually got to play such a game in my formative years. I didn't play any MMO period until I was well in my 20s.

How did you not know if you did or did not have the Internet?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

How did you not know if you did or did not have the Internet?

Listen, I was 10 at the time, and I didn't know things. Internet wasn't so ubiquitous like it is now.

Kieyen
Dec 18, 2006
New campaign info is up
http://www.playonline.com/pcd/topics/ff11us/detail/15065/detail.html

Campaigns September 11 to September 30:
- Mog Garden
- WoE
- Geas Fate
- Abjuration keys
- Domain Invasion

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Kieyen posted:

New campaign info is up
http://www.playonline.com/pcd/topics/ff11us/detail/15065/detail.html

Campaigns September 11 to September 30:
- Mog Garden
- WoE
- Geas Fate
- Abjuration keys
- Domain Invasion

Domain Invasion is perfect for getting the multiple kills to further enhance escha/reisenjima buffs. WoE is perfect for gil making. Geas Fete is perfect for getting more silt and gear yourself with reisenjima or escha ru'aun stuff. Abjuration Key Dial can help you gear your job with abjuration gear, if you need it and have the gil to buy the cursed item you need to get it from that priest dude in north sandy.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Gruknor posted:

Domain Invasion is perfect for getting the multiple kills to further enhance escha/reisenjima buffs. WoE is perfect for gil making. Geas Fete is perfect for getting more silt and gear yourself with reisenjima or escha ru'aun stuff. Abjuration Key Dial can help you gear your job with abjuration gear, if you need it and have the gil to buy the cursed item you need to get it from that priest dude in north sandy.

Woe is a poo poo event with poo poo drop rates.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

That's a pretty bad line up and SE is silly for treating 2-3x exp like it's fine china after having it in just about every campaign before May.

They are mailing it in on things that require next to no work any longer.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

LiquidFriend posted:

That's a pretty bad line up and SE is silly for treating 2-3x exp like it's fine china after having it in just about every campaign before May.

They are mailing it in on things that require next to no work any longer.

Speaking of not putting in effort, i am a terrible poo poo who should finish my guild points.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

frodnonnag posted:

Speaking of not putting in effort, i am a terrible poo poo who should finish my guild points.
You are the worst.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

LiquidFriend posted:

You are the worst.

Frod is not as bad as Spicyryan who has to trick everyone into thinking he has a girlfriend who plays ffxi. Unless you are talking about the stench that comes from Frod's sixty fat rolls.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

The September update is live:

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/51345

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Gruknor posted:

Frod is not as bad as Spicyryan who has to trick everyone into thinking he has a girlfriend who plays ffxi. Unless you are talking about the stench that comes from Frod's sixty fat rolls.

I am not fat, you fuckstain.

In update news, SE continues to fellate summoner with fixes that should have come 10 years ago. All bp aoes are now 10' range which is double the old ones. Also fenrir mount.

You can also go to the bg thread and read jamie bitching about the craft 'nerf'.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
What's the nerf, and do I have to fight high tier fenrir to get the mount?

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Oh man, that crafting change looks real nice! It's essentially a huge buff to synth exp pre-level 70. I hope it actually works, because I might possibly consider getting some crafts done.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

A friend of mine reports that, with the skillup rate change plus using food and proper buffs, you can average 1 skillup per synth pre-70. :getin:

And yeah, the Fenrir mount drops from the uncapped Fenrir fight.

Kieyen
Dec 18, 2006
AAGK trust is from talking to Jamal, in the house behind the palace, and unlocking a RoE to beat the HTB version of AAGK on any diff.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

frodnonnag posted:

I am not fat, you fuckstain.

In update news, SE continues to fellate summoner with fixes that should have come 10 years ago. All bp aoes are now 10' range which is double the old ones. Also fenrir mount.

You can also go to the bg thread and read jamie bitching about the craft 'nerf'.
I wasn't bitching about the craft nerf. Was bitching about the lack of synergy updates, which has been none.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Kieyen posted:

AAGK trust is from talking to Jamal, in the house behind the palace, and unlocking a RoE to beat the HTB version of AAGK on any diff.

then you have to use Strength and push the truck and fight the pokegods

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

The Abjuration Dial campaign started a couple days ago, so if you want some fancy slips of paper, make sure to log in daily to get those dials!

I lucked out and got a Cronian Abjuration: Head the first day, so that's gonna be really good for my BST. And then I got Martial Abjuration: Head which would have been cool 12 years ago. :v:

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

LiquidFriend posted:

I wasn't bitching about the craft nerf. Was bitching about the lack of synergy updates, which has been none.

Synergy is a terrible system second only to fishing for shittyness.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

frodnonnag posted:

Synergy is a terrible system second only to fishing for shittyness.

Ebisu owner here. Fishing was probably the biggest waste of my time in all of FFXI. I don't even know how I'd make money from it these days.

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK

Zero The Hero posted:

Ebisu owner here. Fishing was probably the biggest waste of my time in all of FFXI. I don't even know how I'd make money from it these days.

Likewise (on my old account that has probably since been banned for most likely being ran by a fishbot). I used to actually enjoy fishing but part of that enjoyment came from being able to make some decent money for very little effort, especially after getting my Ebisu.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Zero The Hero posted:

Well you could go fish up a bunch of Matsya and then hope you get a Shaper's Shawl!

Or you could punch yourself in the dick because that might be a more productive way to spend your time.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

DizzyBum posted:

Well you could go fish up a bunch of Matsya and then hope you get a Shaper's Shawl!

Or you could punch yourself in the dick because that might be a more productive way to spend your time.

considering current skillups 0 to 60.. gently caress that cape.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

So have any of you gotten anything worthwhile out of the abjuration campaign? I still only have that Cronian Head from the first day.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
I got a pretty solid black mage gloves, the venerian hands abjuration. I also got what appears to be a decent heavy pants. Everything else is only level 99 stuff I believe. Maybe a piece of summoner gear but I don't remember what level it was.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
I have a bunch of these abjurations from the event and have no clue what to do with them. Are they even worth turning into gear (however you do that)?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Celador posted:

I have a bunch of these abjurations from the event and have no clue what to do with them. Are they even worth turning into gear (however you do that)?

https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Category:Abjurations

Every abjuration is used to "unseal" a specific piece of cursed armor and turn it into an actual useable piece of gear. You do this by trading the abjuration and its matching cursed gear to Alphollon C Meriard in San d'Oria.

The cursed gear is all crafted by high-level crafters. Abjurations are acquired from high-level endgame content: sky, HNM, Einherjar, Voidwatch, Legion, and Escha Ru'Aun.

The gear pieces typically have really good stats for their level, and many of them can be augmented with job-appropriate stats.

Anything worth actually using at this point would be listed under the Escha - Ru'Aun section of that page, so you should be hanging onto these:

Abyssal, Arean, Bushin, Cronian, Cyllenian, Grove, Jovian, Shinryu, Triton, Vale, Venerian

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Sep 27, 2016

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

DizzyBum posted:

https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Category:Abjurations

Every abjuration is used to "unseal" a specific piece of cursed armor and turn it into an actual useable piece of gear. You do this by trading the abjuration and its matching cursed gear to Alphollon C Meriard in San d'Oria.

The cursed gear is all crafted by high-level crafters. Abjurations are acquired from high-level endgame content: sky, HNM, Einherjar, Voidwatch, Legion, and Escha Ru'Aun.

The gear pieces typically have really good stats for their level, and many of them can be augmented with job-appropriate stats.

Anything worth actually using at this point would be listed under the Escha - Ru'Aun section of that page, so you should be hanging onto these:

Abyssal, Arean, Bushin, Cronian, Cyllenian, Grove, Jovian, Shinryu, Triton, Vale, Venerian

The only reason you would want non-ilvl abjurations is if you want to re-curse some old hq abjuration gear to attempt synthesis. This is really only useful information to people who played during 75/99 era and participated in old endgame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

frodnonnag posted:

The only reason you would want non-ilvl abjurations is if you want to re-curse some old hq abjuration gear to attempt synthesis. This is really only useful information to people who played during 75/99 era and participated in old endgame.

Huh, I didn't even realize you could do that.