Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

does jetbrains have a ruby ide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Bloody posted:

does jetbrains have a ruby ide

https://www.jetbrains.com/ruby/

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
ruby is terrible and you should not use it

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

HoboMan posted:

oh it's just a framework

i was hoping it was an ide of some form

how

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

"on rails" -> ide
in my head

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

I like how colorful ruby is with syntax highlighting

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

HoboMan posted:

so is there a """good""" ruby ide-like thing?

i installed the only thing i could find claiming to be an ide and i have no idea how to even open a file with it lol

rubymine's not bad, there are also some pretty decent emacs packages.

but mostly

Shaggar posted:

ruby is terrible and you should not use it

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

so loving future posted:

probably the biggest tell you're dealing with a bad programmer is their hand leaves the keyboard to reach for a mouse

how else do you select, copy and paste in a terminal

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

qntm posted:

tmux

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

qntm posted:

run your shell in emacs like everything else

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

In all seriousness, who cares how someone janitors their computer / writes their code? I personally prefer command line tools and vim, but if someone else prefers to use the mouse and an IDE than that is totally cool with me.

Same goes for tabs vs. spaces and brace style. If you are collaborating with other people, pick a style and stick with it, otherwise go hog wild. People have such strong opinions over the most trivial things. Live and let live.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

VikingofRock posted:

People have such strong opinions over the most trivial things.

yospos birch

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

if you don't use an ide you're choosing to work less productively than you could be over an ideological reason

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Symbolic Butt posted:

yospos birch
yospos oak!

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Awia posted:

if you don't use an ide you're choosing to work less productively than you could be over an ideological reason

or it's just personal preference

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

VikingofRock posted:

In all seriousness, who cares how someone janitors their computer / writes their code? I personally prefer command line tools and vim, but if someone else prefers to use the mouse and an IDE than that is totally cool with me.

Same goes for tabs vs. spaces and brace style. If you are collaborating with other people, pick a style and stick with it, otherwise go hog wild. People have such strong opinions over the most trivial things. Live and let live.

if you don't write code exactly like me you are Dumb and Wrong and i hope you die

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

VikingofRock posted:

imo it's more about breaking from the community standard than ide vs editor.

if someone is writing python or ruby in vim that's pretty typical. if they're doing the same thing with java or c# they're almost certainly a 10x cowboy unicorn wizard hacker and i don't want them anywhere near my team.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

VikingofRock posted:

or it's just personal preference

its a dumb preference

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

and your team hates you because youre that guy

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

VikingofRock posted:

in all seriousness it's because this is an industry where you succeed (i.e. write a working program) by being pedantically, objectively correct in all details, which cultivates a competition to be more pedantically correct than everybody else in all things, no matter how trivial

and othering and exclusionism and pettiness and smugness and lack of a sense of humour and inability to distinguish a joke from a serious discussion

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Awia posted:

and your team hates you because youre that guy

if you hate someone over their choice of computer tool then that's pretty pathetic imo

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

VikingofRock posted:

if you hate someone over their choice of computer tool then that's pretty pathetic imo

am i allowed to playfully rib my coworkers over their choice of computer tool

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

VikingofRock posted:

im just trying to help you bro

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

quiggy posted:

am i allowed to playfully rib my coworkers over their choice of computer tool

yeah that's chill

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Symbolic Butt posted:

yospos birch

who's going to draw the gang tag for the yospos birch society

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

jony neuemonic posted:

imo it's more about breaking from the community standard than ide vs editor.

if someone is writing python or ruby in vim that's pretty typical. if they're doing the same thing with java or c# they're almost certainly a 10x cowboy unicorn wizard hacker and i don't want them anywhere near my team.

well yeah, if somebody is writing python or ruby in vim it's because that's the best the language can do, just sit there as dumb text.

because the language and its ecosystem provide none of the facilities for auto-completion and quick access to reference documentation, or standardized project and package management that more advanced languages provide

if they're doing the same thing with java that's like being given some screws and a cordless power drill only to use said drill to bash the screws into the wall. people who are unfamiliar with the standard toolkit of the team's programming language and who refuse to learn to use that toolkit to effectively accomplish what they are being paid to accomplish have no business being on that team.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

eschaton posted:

this is also how the entire classic Mac OS worked, it didn't use TRAP at all, most every call was a different A-line instruction (the ST took this idea from the Mac)

it's pretty awesome, easy for assemblers and disassemblers to deal with, and more compact too because you don't even have to load a selector into a register or anything before a call

hi I'm Atari and here's our super fast graphics library

to call it you have to cause an exception

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

redleader posted:

people who use svn properly: do you check out just trunk + relevant branches, or everything at once?

I check out the whole project at depth "immediates" (svn co --depth=immediates), this gets me trunk, tags and branches, all empty
then I go in branches and update it, changing depth from "empty" to "immediates" (svn up --set-depth=immediates). this fills the branches directory with (empty) subdirectories for the various branches
repeat with tags if you need the list of tags
when I need a branch or tag, I set its checkout depth to "infinity" (svn up --set-depth=infinity). when I'm done with it, I set it to "empty" and only the placeholder is left

this lets me do things like, branch trunk+bump app version in trunk as a single operation, instead of two. cherry-pick merging is easier too

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

eschaton posted:

this is also how the entire classic Mac OS worked, it didn't use TRAP at all, most every call was a different A-line instruction (the ST took this idea from the Mac)

windows (classic, non-NT) famously did it too, they even gave their invalid opcode a mnemonic but I forget what it was. legend has it that when windows kernel programmers met with intel cpu engineers, their first wish for the next release of the x86 was "faster invalid opcode traps" (we eventually got syscall/sysret and sysenter/sysexit instead). I think raymond chen blogged about it

iirc the format was <trap instruction> <32 bit function identifier> (5 bytes), which for vxd-to-vxd (i.e. kernel mode to kernel mode) calls would be patched into a direct call instruction (5 bytes) on first use. basically a form of delayed dynamic linking

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

qntm posted:

this is an industry where you succeed (i.e. write a working program) by being pedantically, objectively correct in all details

which is extremely weird when basically everybody is churning buggy unusable horseshit week in and week out

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bloody posted:

which is extremely weird when basically everybody is churning buggy unusable horseshit week in and week out

and many times all the correct algorithms are impractical, so we are stuck with good enough heuristics

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

so hey, I get to learn about C++ exceptions

I am making a wrapper library that makes the vendor hardware API match an internal software API so that the software users can interact with it without knowing vendor A from vendor B, etc

the vendor API reports pretty much all error conditions by throwing exceptions, and it is not presently feasible that I could catch them all, and the guy loading my wrapper definitely isn't catching them, so I need to catch and handle these incredibly stupid error conditions

the saving grace is that they all throw the same class as their exception, so I only need one function to pull out the relevant data and print poo poo out about it

my question: is there some way I can centralize exception catching given that all my wrapper entry points are extern C function calls? or am I stuck writing a macro to smash on a try/catch block and route the exceptions that way?

this poo poo is so unreasonably annoying in my current codebase that I may fall back to their C API, which involves me janitoring all their goddamned handles rather than just having an object with levers to pull

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Awia posted:

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Awia posted:

:wrong:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

hackbunny posted:

windows (classic, non-NT) famously did it too, they even gave their invalid opcode a mnemonic but I forget what it was. legend has it that when windows kernel programmers met with intel cpu engineers, their first wish for the next release of the x86 was "faster invalid opcode traps" (we eventually got syscall/sysret and sysenter/sysexit instead). I think raymond chen blogged about it

iirc the format was <trap instruction> <32 bit function identifier> (5 bytes), which for vxd-to-vxd (i.e. kernel mode to kernel mode) calls would be patched into a direct call instruction (5 bytes) on first use. basically a form of delayed dynamic linking

this is more like DOS INT 13h or Sun/Atari TRAP than it is like Mac/Atari A-line instructions

two of the main benefits of A-line traps on the 680x0:

- the A-line dispatcher has its own exception vector
- every A-line instruction is 16 bits with nothing extra

parameters can be passed in registers (since the 68K actually has plenty of those) so there's basically no extra interpretation needed beyond the initial check for which sub-table needs to be dispatched through

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

IDEs are a crutch for bad languages and the bad people forced to use them hth

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
extensive third party libraries for solving common existing problems coupled with rapidly-accessible documentation? heh, Real Programmers using Real Languages can trivially implement everything from scratch with just cons, car, and cdr :smug:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Mr Dog posted:

extensive third party libraries for solving common existing problems coupled with rapidly-accessible documentation? heh, Real Programmers using Real Languages can trivially implement everything from scratch with just NAND :smug:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
pff, yeah let me just go ahead and make flipflops with like 3x as many transistors as I actually need

p-MOSFETs and n-MOSFETs or get the gently caress out

(fine, capacitors too if you need DRAM)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

so loving future posted:

IDEs are a crutch for bad languages and the bad people forced to use them hth

jony neuemonic posted:

10x cowboy unicorn wizard hacker and i don't want them anywhere near my team.

• Locked thread