Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

After some decent bluetooth headphones, that don't go over the top of your head. The Sennheiser MM 100 look perfect but they don't sell them anymore and I can't find them anywhere online. Any suggestions? Budget around £100.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I had those and they were terrible. Poor sound, poor bluetooth connection and also a constant blinding blue light on the side panel. You could see it from across the street when it was night.

I use the Plantronics Backbeat Fit and love them. They are about $80 USD. I've tried tons of different kinds and these are my favorite because they are so light and they also don't block outside noise so it's safe to jog with them.

I also have

- Jaybird Bluebuds X - sounds great and are comfortable but they are really pricey and completely block noise. It can also be tricky to find the right fit but they come with a bunch of different sizes so you can mix/match.

- Jlab Epic - These are recommended by a bunch of places like The Verge and Wirecutter. I loathe them. Sound quality is mediocre and the bluetooth connection is terrible. Put my phone in any pocket, or in my shirt pocket, or in a bag, the connection keeps cutting out. It only works if I hold my phone in front of me while walking.

- JLab Epic 2 - the advertising touts how they have improved the bluetooth connection due to consumer demand. Tried it and nope, exact same bluetooth issues. I have a Nexus 6 phone and it works perfectly fine with many other BT headphones. The JLabs are junk.

Mu Zeta has a new favorite as of 23:39 on Aug 15, 2016

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Thanks for the suggestions, but I'm really after the same style as the MM 100's - that is, over-ear, big foam pads.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

I use the Plantronics Backbeat Fit and love them. They are about $80 USD. I've tried tons of different kinds and these are my favorite because they are so light and they also don't block outside noise so it's safe to jog with them.

I have these and they are the best I've found having tried a couple different sets. Maybe I just have good luck, but every Plantronics product I've ever had has been great.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

What about water proof/resistant Bluetooth speaker for the bathroom?

Mainly for podcasts so I can leave my phone in an adjacent room, away from the heat and moisture.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

Scott Justice posted:

Looking for a recommendation for a pair of men's running shorts.

This sounds simple, but I've had problems with every pair of running shorts I own.

The problems are:

- When I put my cellphone in my pocket and run, the pocket gets twisted up.
- Some of my shorts leave nothing to the imagination as far as revealing my genitals.
- Seriously, only black shorts seem to match my shoes, and I have a hard time distinguishing between black and navy so it isn't until I see a pair of shorts in the sun that I realize I'm wearing my black running shoes with navy shorts, doesn't sound like a big deal, but it bothers me irrationally.
- I have shorts where the drawstring is connect. What's the point of that? I have to twist and tie it to make the waist adjustable.

So if someone can recommend a pair of running shorts that I can buy on Amazon with good pockets (Most important), a little more room in the crotch (Maybe slightly dropped crotch on the inseam, but this is the least important aspect), comes in black, and has a drawstring that I can leave untied, let me know.

Also, summer is over soon, so a nice pair of running pants recommendation would be great too.

My favorite are the Nike running shorts. You can get them with 3" inseam, 5", or my preferred 7" (there are also 9" sometimes as well). Make sure you find ones with pockets as a lot of them don't have them. I would recommend something like a SPI Belt for a phone, keeps it tight and higher up so it doesn't bounce as much.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Inzombiac posted:

What about water proof/resistant Bluetooth speaker for the bathroom?

Mainly for podcasts so I can leave my phone in an adjacent room, away from the heat and moisture.

I can help you not pick this one (and the seemingly hundreds of clones):

https://www.amazon.com/TOP-PLUS-Res...luetooth+shower

at least because it has it's own dumb proprietary charger. If I were in the market I'd probably get this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Vtin-Bluetoo...luetooth+shower

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
What's a good solution to make clothing visible for night time riding but is not visible during the day? Was thinking either clear reflective tape or some of the stronger,non-retail glow in the dark paint.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
Have you seen that fabric that reflects flashbulbs? I think Betabrand makes a jacket and scarf.

They do! You would definitely light up. Paint would make fabric stiff.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Eponine posted:

Have you seen that fabric that reflects flashbulbs? I think Betabrand makes a jacket and scarf.

They do! You would definitely light up. Paint would make fabric stiff.

That's what I was thinking as well. That betabrand stuff looks interesting! Will look into it.

EL drat, sold out.

travisray2004 has a new favorite as of 15:23 on Aug 19, 2016

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:
can anyone suggest a good pet water fountain for cats? preferably one that has a larger capacity so i'm not filling it up over and over.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Looking for books for children (preschoolish to grade schoolish) about women in STEM? Or, failing the women part, just story books for children about science or engineering or the like.

I've seen Ada Lovelace and the Thinking Machine and am looking for something along those lines, though could be for younger children as well: https://www.amazon.com/Ada-Byron-Lovelace-Thinking-Machine/dp/1939547202

Age-specific reading comprehension isn't that important, as they can be read by an adult like a storybook.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

Looking for books for children (preschoolish to grade schoolish) about women in STEM? Or, failing the women part, just story books for children about science or engineering or the like.

I've seen Ada Lovelace and the Thinking Machine and am looking for something along those lines, though could be for younger children as well: https://www.amazon.com/Ada-Byron-Lovelace-Thinking-Machine/dp/1939547202

Age-specific reading comprehension isn't that important, as they can be read by an adult like a storybook.

Rocket GIrl is the book version of a play that is a dramatized version of Mary Sherman Morgan's life and work on the chemistry behind manned space flight. Most of the chapters are written with lots of dialogue, as in a play, so it ends up being pretty breezy apart from the chemistry talk. It's probably more appropriate for tweens, to be honest, but give it a look.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Does anyone make a good car seat cover that doesn't move around and fall off?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

colas posted:

Dunno, but first thought that comes to mind is to put some of this stuff between the seat cover and the seat: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...pf_rd_i=3744211

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

colas posted:

My wife got these for her Tundra and is super happy about it.

http://www.clazzio.com

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

turbomoose posted:

can anyone suggest a good pet water fountain for cats? preferably one that has a larger capacity so i'm not filling it up over and over.

I've gone through a bunch of these, and the Drinkwell 360 is by far the best I've had.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

a worthy uhh posted:

I've gone through a bunch of these, and the Drinkwell 360 is by far the best I've had.

I had the 360 and while it looks pretty sharp its pretty sucky and the filter blows.

The Big Dog is the best fountain I've had. The filter is easy and the capacity is awesome.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Bunk Rogers posted:

The Big Dog is the best fountain I've had. The filter is easy and the capacity is awesome.

I had the Big Dog and it was a real pain to put the pump back on after I cleaned it. After about a year the plastic at the pump connection broke and it leaked everywhere.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

PRADA SLUT posted:

I know ABDO publishing has a Women in Science series but that's more biography than storybook. I'll see what else I can come up with.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
That magnet car air vent phone holder thing from earlier ITT is noice. I have a big heavy wallet case with a bunch of cards in it and the thing's never fallen off, even in my sloppy jalopy truck that rides hard as heck. I have one surface sticker on the back of the case, and one in the ID pocket so I can stick it on with the front flap open. Loooove itttttt. Thanks to whoever posted that, it cuts down on my phone fumbling and thus we are all safer for it.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

turbomoose posted:

I recently got one of these things for my cats (and a dog) and I like it a lot. I specifically wanted one that wasn't made of plastic (unhygienic), but that was still had a decent capacity. This was about all I found that fit that description. Some people had issues with the pump and filter, but this Amazon reviewer dude Wolf Blitzer did a mod that seems relatively simple and that he claims solved all his problems. I haven't tried it yet since I still have a ton of filters. Maybe some day.

In other news, my car's phone holder has dumped my phone onto the floor under my feet for the last time!! I guess I'll try one of those ProClips, but I'm going to wait around for a sale to happen since goddamn they are pricey.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

Julet Esqu posted:

I recently got one of these things for my cats (and a dog) and I like it a lot. I specifically wanted one that wasn't made of plastic (unhygienic), but that was still had a decent capacity. This was about all I found that fit that description. Some people had issues with the pump and filter, but this Amazon reviewer dude Wolf Blitzer did a mod that seems relatively simple and that he claims solved all his problems. I haven't tried it yet since I still have a ton of filters. Maybe some day.

In other news, my car's phone holder has dumped my phone onto the floor under my feet for the last time!! I guess I'll try one of those ProClips, but I'm going to wait around for a sale to happen since goddamn they are pricey.

They go on sale once a month or so, and unless they are changing how they operate, they are due for a 15 or 20% off sale, cause looking at my email, they e been running 10% off for like eight months straight. You can prob sign up for the email alerts then unsubscribe after you buy.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I'm looking for a smallish messenger bag, not a backpack but maybe something similar? I want something I can throw over my shoulder and carry it around as an EDC (everyday carry). I don't carry much and want to purchase one to stop annoying my girlfriend (I always ask her to carry my keys). I looked at Osprey, Timbuk2, Chrome and Hersechel and didn't find anything I liked. I saw some things that I liked, but some things just turned me off, like having a dedicated U-Lock compartment. Here are some things that I carry... Wallet, 24oz water bottle, keys, novel, pen, Moleskin notebook, phone, knife, a light jacket, beanie and other smallish things. Any suggestions as to brands I should look at?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I like Waterfield bags

https://www.sfbags.com/collections/everyday-carry-from-waterfield-designs

Vitesse and Muzetto are solid. They have pricier briefcases but I don't think that's what you're going for.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

obi_ant posted:

I'm looking for a smallish messenger bag, not a backpack but maybe something similar? I want something I can throw over my shoulder and carry it around as an EDC (everyday carry). I don't carry much and want to purchase one to stop annoying my girlfriend (I always ask her to carry my keys). I looked at Osprey, Timbuk2, Chrome and Hersechel and didn't find anything I liked. I saw some things that I liked, but some things just turned me off, like having a dedicated U-Lock compartment. Here are some things that I carry... Wallet, 24oz water bottle, keys, novel, pen, Moleskin notebook, phone, knife, a light jacket, beanie and other smallish things. Any suggestions as to brands I should look at?

What's your budget and aesthetic preference

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

obi_ant posted:

On the pricier side, but I like Duluth Pack.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

I like Waterfield bags

Thanks, I'll check it out.

signalnoise posted:

What's your budget and aesthetic preference

$150 max, nothing too stylish or out there, functional, smallish to medium?

Eponine posted:

On the pricier side, but I like Duluth Pack.

Standard book bag looks good, a bit too big.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

obi_ant posted:

$150 max, nothing too stylish or out there, functional, smallish to medium?

https://www.tombihn.com

Look at the Cafe bag. Also look at all their other bags.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

PRADA SLUT posted:

Not exactly what you're looking for but The Way Things Work (and the new way things work) is what got me obsessed with science at a young age.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

signalnoise posted:

https://www.tombihn.com

Look at the Cafe bag. Also look at all their other bags.

Ayyy. These bags look great. Thanks.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Jmcrofts posted:

Not exactly what you're looking for but The Way Things Work (and the new way things work) is what got me obsessed with science at a young age.

Confirmed, David Macaulay is awesome.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Any recommendations on good computer speakers? I'm no audiophile so they don't have to be the best.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Digital Jedi posted:

Any recommendations on good computer speakers?

Logitech ones are cheap and last forever.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Digital Jedi posted:

Any recommendations on good computer speakers? I'm no audiophile so they don't have to be the best.

Dedicated PC speaker thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3444077&perpage=40

If you just want something that works but doesn't sound amazing, logitechs will work. If you want something that sounds nicer you'll have to drop a little more coin.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Digital Jedi posted:

Take a look at these.

I have had the Soundsticks I for like 15 years and a set of the IIs as my kitchen stereo for like 6 years. Very nice sound, more bass then you would ever want, and looks all sci fi and poo poo.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Thanks for the replies. I'm just going with a logitech set.

bongwizzard posted:

Take a look at these.

If only those had color lights inside I would get them but more than I want to spend. Cool looking though.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Mine have a blue led in the sub, but that is the one thing that died on my original one.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

I'm new to online PC gaming, who's like the go-to for headphone/mic dealies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Desk mic and separate high quality headphones.