Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Fhqwhgads posted:

I've been flailing about with the dual katanas, but having problems because I'm terrible, and if the consensus is that they're pretty crap, what's a better weapon to use? I mean souls-style straight swords were always OP, so are regular katanas the way to go in the demo?

who is talking poo poo about dual katanas

lemme at it

I will murder them

with dual katanas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Fhqwhgads posted:

I've been flailing about with the dual katanas, but having problems because I'm terrible, and if the consensus is that they're pretty crap, what's a better weapon to use? I mean souls-style straight swords were always OP, so are regular katanas the way to go in the demo?

Yes.

Go Katana until you get a handle on mid stance dodging and ki pulse. Once you get those down, you should be good.

EDIT: I don't mean this as saying duals are junk, though. Katanas make a great learning tool for the other weapons, and once you get the basic timing down with them it translates into the others. Get the basics first, get comfortable with the controls, then switch. Dual Katanas don't have a lot of defense options or range, but once you block-stab someone into a massive chain that drains their ki for even more massive chains then you'll see it.

Focus on mid to hi for DK, as water slashes and the extended mid combo turn you into a human Ninja blender.

J.A.B.C. fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Aug 29, 2016

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

L2 is wasted on item switch. instead of 8 items, put 6 and have down on the dpad flip. or make it like an l2 tap switches menu and a hold does aiming.

i'm like reaching over with my left hand to aim while i shoot now and its bullshit it was perfect before.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Dual katanas are great, so are all the other weapons. Use what feels best, ultimately.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
is revenants summoning themselves a twilight only thing

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

The little bald guys picking at whatever instrument that is are the ones who make that happen.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i found the feedback survey for the game in case anyone missed it. feel free to complain about your favorite complainable in the many free response boxes.

http://www.gamecity.ne.jp/form/nioh_b_uk

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Real hurthling! posted:

i found the feedback survey for the game in case anyone missed it. feel free to complain about your favorite complainable in the many free response boxes.

http://www.gamecity.ne.jp/form/nioh_b_uk

thanks

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Lakbay posted:

William Adams looking like Geralt of Rivia, being able to use various types of japanese weapons, rescuing kodama, and using ninjutsu and omnyo magic is 100% historically accurate

Point well taken! I admit that sometimes it's the little stuff that tends to get me with regards to historicity, so I'll clam up about it. After all, there is magic and demons are running around. Also, I don't think he looks that much like Geralt after getting a better look at him.

J.A.B.C. posted:

history stuff

If I recall correctly, he also helped the Dutch expand trade ops out there, which is funny considering the relationship between the English and Dutch by the middle of the century. Would have been an interesting topic to study, though my focus was elsewhere.

J.A.B.C. posted:

It mentions that he's Dutch in some of the opening mission text. Its a small detail, but it is there.

I like the spear for the good crowd control stuff, especially during the twilight first boss. Makes clearing out the flunkies a lot safer. Katana is still my primary, because that counter move is poetry in motion.

I must of missed that stuff and had just assumed the devs didn't really care. Thanks for pointing it out! Honestly, I haven't really spent time digging into the story of the game. Although Hanzo with his pocket cat was a pretty compelling development early on in the demo! And I'm basically with you on the spear and katana both. That's why I think they're so complimentary and have really taken to using both. The up stance on the katana is also really fun to use on oni, especially once you get good at timing the flipping overhead cut.

Also, thanks for the survey link Real.

Fire Barrel fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Aug 29, 2016

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

is the cave boss weak to a particular element? i want to have the right talisman ready

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Please use the NA link if you live in NA and not a Euro.

http://www.gamecity.ne.jp/form/nioh_b_us

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
drop your loving purple swords you rear end in a top hat revenants

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Any particularly useful stuff to pick up in the ninjutsu and magic trees? I'm mainly using axes if that makes a difference.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

RatHat posted:

Any particularly useful stuff to pick up in the ninjutsu and magic trees? I'm mainly using axes if that makes a difference.

Pick up the talismans and extra elixir

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Lakbay posted:

If you quit mid mission (going all the way back to the world map/mission selection) EVERYTHING gets reset including loot

Do the shortcuts stay unlocked if you BEAT a mission at least?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I only unlocked one Ninjutsu and it was the spike traps you throw on the ground, but those are actually pretty darn great against the cave boss. She'll always come straight towards you relative for melee attacks and you actually have a lot more time than you'd think to see what she's doing and toss the spikes down. Unless she spams her purple blast, you may not even have to move much, so you can kind of trap her on top of them to drain more stamina away.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Has anyone determined if the power pills are worth using? I tried them, but I couldn't really tell how much of a damage buff they gave.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Yodzilla posted:

Do the shortcuts stay unlocked if you BEAT a mission at least?

No. But you'd be surprised how quickly you can beat a mission after you know it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gGNmhsu6mY

I recorded that from the alpha, but the stage didn't change that much.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Snak posted:

Has anyone determined if the power pills are worth using? I tried them, but I couldn't really tell how much of a damage buff they gave.

They're really dinky and the carnage magic that trades defense for attack power is way better

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I only unlocked one Ninjutsu and it was the spike traps you throw on the ground, but those are actually pretty darn great against the cave boss. She'll always come straight towards you relative for melee attacks and you actually have a lot more time than you'd think to see what she's doing and toss the spikes down. Unless she spams her purple blast, you may not even have to move much, so you can kind of trap her on top of them to drain more stamina away.

Some of the ninjutsu stuff is super broken/cheesy right now and I hope it stays that way because consumables need more love in video games. There's a video of the grass area boss getting stunlocked by landmines and someone beating the cave boss with just shurikens

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Pick up the talismans and extra elixir

Extra elixir seems kinda garbage because it doesn't raise the minimum you receive when you die, only the max you can hold (which is 10 default) so unless you farm elixirs or you're really good and don't actually need elixirs the +healing in the omnyo tree seems better

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Aug 30, 2016

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
https://www.twitch.tv/belzaca/

Streaming my daily douse of helping people. If you want to watch.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Well don't I feel dumb. Muneshige's charging attacks can be dodged forward through, leaving his back open. He's vulnerable to kicks and parries too.

What happened to that lightning critter I saw videos of from there alpha? A twilight boss?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

the stage he was in isn't in the beta

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
:negative:

Well I'll see him in the full version then.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

lets hang out posted:

the stage he was in isn't in the beta

That stage needed more time in the oven. It was like a whole levels worth of monsters crammed into one big room and the obstacles were like a low wall or whatever that William could climb if not for videogame logic making him go around.

Caves are so much better put together.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

"William, you sailed to Japan, became a samurai, and eventually a key advisor to shogun Tokugawa Ieyasu... how'd you do it?"

Well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvcESbBOnps

Real hurthling! posted:

That stage needed more time in the oven. It was like a whole levels worth of monsters crammed into one big room and the obstacles were like a low wall or whatever that William could climb if not for videogame logic making him go around.

Eh, I'll say I liked it but there was more they could have done with it. I don't think a lot of people noticed the burning tree shortcuts.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Rain stages will always get a pass from me.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXDi0AdgXOQ

:stare: I hope beating the game doesn't require this amount of technical mastery for the later areas

VVV I suck :(

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Aug 30, 2016

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Flux really isn't that hard, you just have to push a face button with r1 when you ki pulse instead of just hitting r1

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

they need to fix dual sword rev's. they just swing until they're tired and then you kill them. ax rev's are only marginally better at staying alive.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

lol theres a dude co-oping who's just out to waste peoples cups. i've gotten him 2 times and both times he just gestures and then quits the game

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
HAH! Got you! You wasted one of that item that is literally dodge roll from every point in the game.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

lol theres a dude co-oping who's just out to waste peoples cups. i've gotten him 2 times and both times he just gestures and then quits the game

He might just be looking for a specific person and they're too dumb to use the password system.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
Twilight version of the caves is available again, BTW.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Phantasium posted:

"William, you sailed to Japan, became a samurai, and eventually a key advisor to shogun Tokugawa Ieyasu... how'd you do it?"

Well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvcESbBOnps

Eh, I'll say I liked it but there was more they could have done with it. I don't think a lot of people noticed the burning tree shortcuts.

I kind of wish there was a way to make punches more useful like in the DS games. Always fun to hop around and jab people.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Are any of the ninjutsu good against the bosses?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Revitalized posted:

Are any of the ninjutsu good against the bosses?

To add to this, are any of the damage ninjutsus good outside of a ninjutsu build?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Fire Barrel posted:

I kind of wish there was a way to make punches more useful like in the DS games. Always fun to hop around and jab people.

Yeah, I wish there were different stances for unarmed. There's a ninjutsu skill that ups your unarmed damage by probably 12%.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

RatHat posted:

for ninjitsu pick smoke bombs they're completely broken

enemies will just stand there and do nothing as you rip them to shreds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

CharlestonJew posted:

for ninjitsu pick smoke bombs they're completely broken

enemies will just stand there and do nothing as you rip them to shreds

drat I didn't know this. I wish I could respec but I might just make a fresh character if I have enough time before the beta ends. I've found the poison weapon coating from the Ninjitsu tree pretty useful; it only takes 2-3 hits to proc which isn't much with a fast weapon and the way combat in this game works it's really useful to have a way to keep inflicting damage on an opponent when you're backing off to recover stamina. Haven't tried it against bosses though so someone else may have to chime in on whether or not they're vulnerable to it. I like how much fun status/utility effects are in general in this game honestly -- using those special arrows to sap a Yokai's Ki always makes me feel smug.

edit: are the consumable items that give skill points fixed drops or just super rare? I've only found them by searching corpses so I'm thinking it might be the former ..... if that's the case, does anyone know if they reset if you exit to the world map and start the mission over along with everything else? If that's the case you could grind up some points pretty darn quick considering how easy it is to run through an area once you know what you're doing

goferchan fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Aug 30, 2016