Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Apollodorus posted:

If that were the result of the Caretaker's fuckery then it would be a tragic story, but instead it just makes no sense--how does that species even exist still if each generation has only half as many people as the next one? Or do Ocampan men just bang every woman (i.e. One year or older) in sight? Even then I'm not sure it would work.

The important takeaway is that neelix is a pedo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Rhyno posted:

Holy poo poo, the Ocampa have their babies out their backs.

How would this even work? They'd have to have some kind of weird reverse spinal structure. Aren't they also born fully grown or something equally stupid?

I'm just picturing the chestburster scene, but instead of a facehugger, the mom just explodes and some schlubby Ocampan goon is standing there.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Space panda seahorse-frogs who in a bizarre coincidence look just like blonde chicks from Illinois with slightly weird ears.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Knormal posted:

Doing things for more than a two-parter was pretty much unheard of back then, especially for a syndicated show.

I think we've taken it too far nowadays though. If TNG were on today, Locutus would be a season long villain which is far too long.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I'm frankly surprised we haven't seen a BoBW alternabook where Data is Borges

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I got to appear in something that was filmed for the 50th anniversary. My neckbeard grew two sizes, just like the Grinch's heart.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

FilthyImp posted:

I'm frankly surprised we haven't seen a BoBW alternabook where Data is Borges

Data of Borge reintroduces the concept of the seatbelt to Starfleet when he buckles himself into his piano seat

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The Federation is communist because they fight the borgeoisie.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Apollodorus posted:

If that were the result of the Caretaker's fuckery then it would be a tragic story, but instead it just makes no sense--how does that species even exist still if each generation has only half as many people as the next one? Or do Ocampan men just bang every woman (i.e. One year or older) in sight? Even then I'm not sure it would work.
It could work if there were a lot more women than men, and you assume men can mate more than once and were polygamous. Still nothing we saw of Ocampan society suggested that was the case, just another thing Voyager writers never thought all the way through.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

How would this even work? They'd have to have some kind of weird reverse spinal structure. Aren't they also born fully grown or something equally stupid?

I'm just picturing the chestburster scene, but instead of a facehugger, the mom just explodes and some schlubby Ocampan goon is standing there.
Based on the episode thumbnail on Memory Alpha. apparently they give birth to gross giant wads of gum.

Cojawfee posted:

I think we've taken it too far nowadays though. If TNG were on today, Locutus would be a season long villain which is far too long.
On that note, Bryan Fuller dropped some new Beyond info today:
http://trekcore.com/blog/2016/08/bryan-fuller-delivers-new-star-trek-discovery-data/

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

quote:

With the exception of ‘Deep Space Nine’ when it got into the Dominion War, ‘Star Trek’ has been primarily episodic – so I feel like we’ll be different in that regard and will be very serialized
That's good, though given current TV trends, unsurprising news.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

MikeJF posted:

Hell, that was TNG's first two-parter.

They had to fight to have Picard's breakdown in Family as a follow-up, too.

wow, that was such a great scene, too. it's "my no-jokes, this scene is really good" favorite scene so far

Best of Both Worlds and Family are extremely well done. which is especially good because the 2-3 eps before them were clunkers

PenguinKnight fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Aug 30, 2016

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Family is a better Best of Both Worlds Part II than Best of Both Worlds Part II. Such a great episode.

BoBW Part II is the tv equivalent of watching a balloon slowly deflate. Everything except the Picard rescue is incredibly boring and uninteresting compared to Part I. You already know Picard is going to be rescued, so the interesting part is not how he's rescued but how he copes with what he's just gone through.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Aug 30, 2016

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Tunicate posted:

Ocampa can only reproduce once in their life. If they miss the opportunity it will never happen again.

They give birth to a single child.

Voyager writers, ladies and gentlemen.

Lol for real in real life. That had never occurred to me.

Maybe the men give birth too? ... and also the smizmars.

Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

Wake up and smell the psychosis!\

quote:

We were having a wardrobe test the other day...

quote:

We’ll probably have some [casting] announcements in October. As of right now, we’ve met with fantastic actors

I hate to sound like Chicken Little but a lot of the stuff Bryan is saying is reinforcing this feeling I have where I genuinely do not understand how they can be ready to broadcast episode one in January, when this is the current stage of production. It's a feeling I've had since the work in progress Discovery ship reveal a while back which caused all those CGI rumblings amongst some. If you don't have anything to show at a certain stage, it's best just to play your cards close to your chest.

I'd rather have a delay announcement than a rush job, first seasons of shows are usually shaky enough!

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

i think i've seen a list like this before but one of my friends wants to watch ds9 for the first time but he's hesitant to watch the whole series "because it's long."

any episode from season 1 he should definitely watch?

i'm thinking "duet" for sure. maybe "emissary" to get the bare minimum backstory and "in the hands of the prophets" because winn rules. i'd prefer he watch the whole thing but he's more of a sperg than i am.

Tunklord Supreme
Jun 4, 2011

dragon bong z

Acer Pilot posted:

i think i've seen a list like this before but one of my friends wants to watch ds9 for the first time but he's hesitant to watch the whole series "because it's long."

i'm thinking "duet" for sure. maybe "emissary" to get the bare minimum backstory and "in the hands of the prophets" because winn rules. i'd prefer he watch the whole thing but he's more of a sperg than i am.

move along home

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Acer Pilot posted:

Captive Pursuit, Battle Lines, Progress, The Forsaken

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Apparently, the Smithsonian Channel is going to have a special on the refurbishment of the Enterprise model on Sunday along with other documentaries leading up to the anniversary of Trek.

I just need to figure out if it's worth upping my cable package to include the channel now.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Gelf posted:

I hate to sound like Chicken Little but a lot of the stuff Bryan is saying is reinforcing this feeling I have where I genuinely do not understand how they can be ready to broadcast episode one in January, when this is the current stage of production. It's a feeling I've had since the work in progress Discovery ship reveal a while back which caused all those CGI rumblings amongst some. If you don't have anything to show at a certain stage, it's best just to play your cards close to your chest.

I'd rather have a delay announcement than a rush job, first seasons of shows are usually shaky enough!

TNG announced casting in May 1987 and hit the airwaves in September 1987, so casting timing looks ok. While the Discovery ship CGI was iffy at best, Roddenberry wasn't even sure in 1986 if he would use a ship for travel in TNG.

The whole show could still turn into a wet fart, but like Thomas Riker, I'm trying to keep my hopes up.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Just gonna leave this here:

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I know there's not really a particular order you should watch any of the different series, but i just got DS9 on DVD and Enterprise on Blu Ray and i plan on watching one of them once I finish up TNG.

My instinct is to go with DS9 because it's brilliant, but i've not seen any of Enterprise, so it'll all be new to me.

I was tempted to put voyager in there but, while i didn't outright hate it, it was kinda just ok as a series and i don't really feel like waiting till i get through DS9 and Voyager before i hit Enterprise.

After bingewatching TNG i am a bit concerned i'll really notice the lower quality of DS9 though.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Just gonna leave this here:

Once again, DeForest out-70s everyone else.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Kin posted:

I know there's not really a particular order you should watch any of the different series, but i just got DS9 on DVD and Enterprise on Blu Ray and i plan on watching one of them once I finish up TNG.

My instinct is to go with DS9 because it's brilliant, but i've not seen any of Enterprise, so it'll all be new to me.

I was tempted to put voyager in there but, while i didn't outright hate it, it was kinda just ok as a series and i don't really feel like waiting till i get through DS9 and Voyager before i hit Enterprise.

After bingewatching TNG i am a bit concerned i'll really notice the lower quality of DS9 though.

But DS9 is way better than TNG. We tried to watch everything in broadcast order so we started DS9 when it first aired. It was almost impossible to go back to TNG afterwards, the show I so loved suddenly seemed flat and boring and badly written. To be fair it was TNG season 7, but still, ds9 is just so much richer, meatier. TNG is a white bread cheese sandwich with the crust cut off, DS9 is a big old spicy hot pot. Sure the white bread sandwich is nice now and again, and you sure loved it as a kid, but after eating some grown-up food it's hard to go back.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
I think the "lower quality" was a reference to the video format, not the writing or acting.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Apollodorus posted:

I think the "lower quality" was a reference to the video format, not the writing or acting.

Yeah that loving sucks. I keep hoping they ever release it in HD or what ever :(

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Baronjutter posted:

But DS9 is way better than TNG. We tried to watch everything in broadcast order so we started DS9 when it first aired. It was almost impossible to go back to TNG afterwards, the show I so loved suddenly seemed flat and boring and badly written. To be fair it was TNG season 7, but still, ds9 is just so much richer, meatier. TNG is a white bread cheese sandwich with the crust cut off, DS9 is a big old spicy hot pot. Sure the white bread sandwich is nice now and again, and you sure loved it as a kid, but after eating some grown-up food it's hard to go back.

Even if you can't finish TNG S7, go back and watch All Good Things at least, assuming you haven't.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

So in short, just skip directly to babylon 5

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Baronjutter posted:

DS9 is a big old spicy hot pot.

JAMBALAYA!

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Tunicate posted:

So in short, just skip directly to babylon 5

You mean the show with worse acting, worse writing, and worse effects?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
DS9 and TNG are both so different I can't really compare them. I want the Enterprise crew dealing with episodic situations with TNG and character arcs and tragic serial developments in DS9.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

FilthyImp posted:

I'm frankly surprised we haven't seen a BoBW alternabook where Data is Borges Borgia

I would like to see Data as Machiavellian, 15th century pope.

"There is a 99.8 percent chance that I will burn all these heretical Anabaptists. Beep boop."

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Apollodorus posted:

You mean the show with worse acting, worse writing, and worse effects?
Worse effects 100% sure, worse acting it's highly debatable, worse writing certainly not (well okay season 5).

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure a lot of B5's cgi guys went to work on DS9 once they started doing the big fleet battles

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Toplowtech posted:

Worse effects 100% sure, worse acting it's highly debatable, worse writing certainly not (well okay season 5).

The dialogue on that show is often ridiculously bad and the actors by and large fail completely to sell it. That's what I mean by "writing" as in "the words that we, the audience, hear." Having a great story doesn't mean much if you can't convey it effectively.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
https://twitter.com/sky_conway/status/770296923936784384

Must be hard for an actor to eat these days.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I don't know anything about that picture but it makes me really sad.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Special Guest Star Robert Beltran as "the 90's stereotyped Native American guy who saved Mulder in that X-Files cliffhanger".

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I wonder if the choice to set Discovery in the "past" of the Prime timeline is a more legal decision than a creative one. As far as we know, the case is still that any new TV shows cannot directly reference events that originate in the movies, right? CBS and Paramount never came to an agreement getting around that, as far as I know. So, the most recent even at the end of the Prime timeline that we know about is the destruction of Romulus, a huge event that any new show set post-Voyager would have to address. But obviously, Romulus falling into a black hole comes from ST '09, and so therefore cannot legally be mentioned in a TV show.

So it may be that it is now legally impossible to set a Trek TV show after Voyager, and Fuller had no choice but to choose somewhere in the "past" to set the new series.

Also, since that new interview with Fuller confirms that the new main character is a First Officer, I'm calling it now that the original captain dies in the first season and "Number One" becomes captain. poo poo, even in the first episode, maybe.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Romulus being destroyed is really dumb and I'm glad it's illegal for them to reference it. Leave that poo poo to the dumb new movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speakhard
Nov 30, 2003

from mars to uranus.

Payndz posted:

Michael Piller apparently really didn't like that "Piller Filler" became a standard term for script-padding technobabble.

Sorry to bring this up from a while back, but "Piller Filler" didn't actually have anything to do with technobabble. When a script was running short, Piller would add *character* scenes that didn't directly relate to the plot. The scene with Dr. Stubbs telling Wesley how he visualizes baseball games in his head, for example.