Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Keanu learned all martial arts within seconds and didn't even need a CD, this Prometheus guy sounds like a loving joke imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I'm also wondering what kind of data is on that disc.

code:
if (Punch) {
    (Block)
} else {
    (Kick)
}

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Proposition Joe posted:

No one is upset about the Jared Leto Joker for that reason.

Yeah, it sounds like many were upset that most of his scenes were cut.

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Sounds like in addition to downloading fighting styles he's got some sort of digital compression superpower.

It's called WinRAR.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Detective Dog Dick posted:

It's called WinRAR.

It also sounds like really bad comic book dialogue. "What can you do against me, Prometheus?!" "Win! RAR!!!!!"

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Nowadays you can just go to BESTFIGHTERS.com and just stream a fighting style

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
Who cares about Prometheus when this tweet exists:
mildly :nws:

edit:

The MSJ posted:

Weirdest Brother Eye origin ever.

lmao

Equeen fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Aug 30, 2016

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Weirdest Brother Eye origin ever.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Prometheus always loving sucked. From day 1. His gimmick doesn't even make sense. He "downloads" fighting styles? And somehow he "downloaded" Batman's fighting style? Where the gently caress did he get that from? Also there's absolutely nothing about him that is reminiscient of the greek mythology Prometheus so his name makes no sense either.

Prometheus's criminal parents were shot and killed by the police and thus he vows to destroy JUSTICE. He goes to Olympusthe Watchtower to light it on fire and ultimately kill ZeusSuperman, jailer of Promethea and personification of JUSTICE. This is not very subtle!

Why ask a stupid question about the technical specifics of how a person can download a fighting style like that isn't a silly thing noted superhero Neo would pass into the cultural consciousness a year after that story was published. You could be asking even dumber questions like oh how did this guy find and kill an alien buried in the Himalayas and steal his Cosmic Key (literally stealing knowledge from a god) that grants him unimaginable alien technology and lets him trap and murder people in a non-euclidean pocket dimension?

He's just a goofy parody of 90s Image anti-heroes, christ look at his stupid rear end giant shoulder pads. He's great.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
He gets taken out by a bullwhip to the nuts, as I recall.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Dude's wearing like 5 pieces of inexplicable technology that he presumably invented and only he has possession of, but he did not invent a cup for his nards

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Prometheus has nards?!

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Well, not after the bullwhip incident. I'm imagining two grapes exploding.

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

He gets taken out by a bullwhip to the nuts, as I recall.

The most illegal move in the history of comics.

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick
Y'all can argue all day whether Batman has killed or if even he's willing to kill but the truth you're all afraid to speak is Batman WILL go for the grapes you're completely okay with that. You make me sick.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Y'all can argue all day whether Batman has killed or if even he's willing to kill but the truth you're all afraid to speak is Batman WILL go for the grapes you're completely okay with that. You make me sick.

It was his sometime girlfriend Catwoman what did the nut whacking, R'as Al Ghul taught the Dark Knight Detective to always duel with honor.

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It was his sometime girlfriend Catwoman what did the nut whacking, R'as Al Ghul taught the Dark Knight Detective to always duel with honor.

He condoned it, even if he said otherwise. Kind of like how 99% of all Marvel superheroes live in New York but they don't do anything to stop the Punisher from napalming Harlem.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Equeen posted:

Who cares about Prometheus when this tweet exists:
mildly :nws:

lol why is the name and face blurred but the twitter handle isn't? Seems like wasted effort.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

He condoned it, even if he said otherwise. Kind of like how 99% of all Marvel superheroes live in New York but they don't do anything to stop the Punisher from napalming Harlem.

He's right though. Batman is very easy to forgive people he personally knows. Like Two-Face has straight up murdered a bunch of people over the course of his life and then he "reformed" and Batman let him basically be Batman in Gotham City for an entire year while he was off doin poo poo. Plot twist: he didn't actually reform. It never really made sense to me why he lets certain poo poo go. Bottom line: Catwoman should be goin straight to Arkham for Testicide

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Sounds like in addition to downloading fighting styles he's got some sort of digital compression superpower.

I would laugh if the data was just keyframes of poses and he had to 'interpolate' all the moves by himself

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

hiddenriverninja posted:

I would laugh if the data was just keyframes of poses and he had to 'interpolate' all the moves by himself

The trick is you have to hit him in just the right spot so that his CD skips and gets all scratched and hosed up

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

He condoned it, even if he said otherwise.
Definitely not the first time Batman has condoned Catwoman busting a man's beanbag. Batman is for sure into CBT (Catwoman Batman Torture).

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Prometheus always loving sucked. From day 1. His gimmick doesn't even make sense. He "downloads" fighting styles? And somehow he "downloaded" Batman's fighting style? Where the gently caress did he get that from? Also there's absolutely nothing about him that is reminiscient of the greek mythology Prometheus so his name makes no sense either.

He's like Mega Man, or Kazuo Kiriyama from Battle Royale: monkey see, then monkey do with impressive skill. It's not particularly original but it's not that out-there of a concept; hell, Taskmaster in Marvel can do nearly the exact same thing.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Can someone explain the Stephen Hawking thing? Why would you want to emulate the physique and fighting style of a man who can only move his eyes?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Oasx posted:

Can someone explain the Stephen Hawking thing? Why would you want to emulate the physique and fighting style of a man who can only move his eyes?

Batman defeats the villain by hacking his fighting style upload device so the villain downloads Stephen Hawkings fighting style. This then results in batman wailing on what is now essentially a paraplegic and apparently this is someone, somewhere's batman who BvS ruined

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Did Batman cry, at least?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The MSJ posted:

Did Batman cry, at least?

See below.

The wettest fart of a comics panel. Probably one of my least favorite comics panels ever.

Where the gently caress did he download Stephen Hawking from? The way he shouts it at him like that. I hate this panel. It's such an un-earned victory too since earlier in the comic Batman got his rear end kicked and for some reason Prometheus didn't kill him.

It's one of the most tremendously awful plot-lines and the ending is just a complete nothing. I actually just did a double check because I assumed Jojo's similar put-people's-fighting-abilities-onto-a-loving-compact-disc power would have predated it but no, its looking like this is possibly the initial appearance of "download people's combat information into your brain" concept. Instead of spending any more time thinking about this shitawful comic where again, Batman savagely beats up a paraplegic and taunts him about it, think about how cool a Batman + stands comic would be. Spoilers: Bruce Wayne is actually Batman's stand.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Aug 30, 2016

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I'd like a Midnight v Prometheus fight where they get into an expository loop and have a schizoid embolism.

"My name is the Midnight, and I've--"
"Fought this fight a thousand times already thanks to my Battle helmet which reads your every move before you even--"
Do you smell toast?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
All I know about Prometheus is he was the main villain in Cry for Justice, in which everyone says the word "justice" a bunch of times and then he kills a bunch of people.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Maxwell Lord posted:

All I know about Prometheus is he was the main villain in Cry for Justice, in which everyone says the word "justice" a bunch of times and then he kills a bunch of people.

Oh yeah, the event where the logo could be very easily read as "GAY FOR JUSTICE" and yet nobody at DC noticed this until it was way too late

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Taskmaster is cool and stylish and I desperately hope Marvel uses him.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Maxwell Lord posted:

Didn't this comic also ruin Speedy/Red Arrow because killing a character's daughter means that your comic book can be taken seriously?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Rough Lobster posted:

Taskmaster is cool and stylish and I desperately hope Marvel uses him.

Or brings Echo into Daredevil.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

He's like Mega Man, or Kazuo Kiriyama from Battle Royale: monkey see, then monkey do with impressive skill. It's not particularly original but it's not that out-there of a concept; hell, Taskmaster in Marvel can do nearly the exact same thing.

This is not true. Once he removes the helmet, he no longer has any of the knowledge. He downloaded the fighting styles from some mysterious external source, perhaps an FTP server.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

He downloaded the fighting styles from some mysterious external source, perhaps an FTP server.

Cut out the cybernerd technobabble - give it to me in plain english!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Once he removes the helmet,
Speaking of which, Grant Morrison's JLA is extremely My Batman but who designed Prometheus' suit?

Electromax
May 6, 2007

I'm also wondering what kind of data is on that disc.

noprize answer: At that point they understand the human brain structure and the big needle in the neck can inject enzymes that stimulate growth of particular neuron patterns, so they basically have the map of some martial arts expert's brain sub-stratum that is replicated in your own, and it makes the bridge from your existing neurons to the new stuff, so when you think Judo you can just suddenly recall everything in the same way that when you think "alphabet" you can just go a,b,c without having to stop and think about what the alphabet is.

Given all the other nonsense they threw into those movies, I'm surprised the script never touched on the concept of the machines just loading nice subservient brains into infants so they never fight back. I guess the whole 'feeding humans over a lifetime so they can liquify them 80 years later for a lil energy" concept kind of falls apart when you breathe on it.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Electromax posted:

noprize answer: At that point they understand the human brain structure and the big needle in the neck can inject enzymes that stimulate growth of particular neuron patterns, so they basically have the map of some martial arts expert's brain sub-stratum that is replicated in your own, and it makes the bridge from your existing neurons to the new stuff, so when you think Judo you can just suddenly recall everything in the same way that when you think "alphabet" you can just go a,b,c without having to stop and think about what the alphabet is.

Given all the other nonsense they threw into those movies, I'm surprised the script never touched on the concept of the machines just loading nice subservient brains into infants so they never fight back. I guess the whole 'feeding humans over a lifetime so they can liquify them 80 years later for a lil energy" concept kind of falls apart when you breathe on it.

Clearly all this is because the Human As Batteries scenario itself is another layer of the Matrix because humans just ain't happy unless they have something to fight against while wearing black leather. It's Matrices all the way down.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
One big issue in a lot of comics is that a lot of people have incredible pieces of technology but nobody ever shares. Somehow they are always the singular genius that invents these things. Kinda like the classic question of why doesn't every Avenger have an Iron Man suit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

One big issue in a lot of comics is that a lot of people have incredible pieces of technology but nobody ever shares. Somehow they are always the singular genius that invents these things. Kinda like the classic question of why doesn't every Avenger have an Iron Man suit?

Hulk wouldn't wear one because he is a rage-fueled monster, Thor wouldn't wear one because he's a snobbish god, Captain America doesn't get one because he is old and old people don't get technology.

• Locked thread