Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Lareine posted:

I just realized I might've hosed it all up regarding reforming the religion. See, I picked up the Necronomicon and I wasn't paying attention and I guess I take a pretty bad piety hit. Is there any easy way to get piety as a Germanic pagan or a way to get rid of that Necronomicon modifier?

You're a loving viking. Go do viking stuff.

No really, you gain piety from conquering, raiding, and sacrificing infidels to Odin. You should be doing at least one of those things at all times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
A weird thing: I snatched up the theme of Trebizond in my royal Armenian looting spree and it goes back to the emperor if I die, but if I give it to someone it comes back to me when they die. So I guess I gotta keep granting it to keep it? When can I change it to a hereditary title??

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

Various Meat Products posted:

You're a loving viking. Go do viking stuff.

No really, you gain piety from conquering, raiding, and sacrificing infidels to Odin. You should be doing at least one of those things at all times.

Well, I do have a dungeon full of prisoners just waiting for the next blot. I also didn't know you got piety from raiding? All I see is the prestige you get. Of course, I rarely actually go and siege-loot, I usually just go and grab what isn't protected by the walls before moving on.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

The General posted:

It's not. Start small. As your empire gets bigger, so do your worries. You can fumble around with minor stuff, and as your people grow discontent, you can learn how to manage that and ect...

Yeah, for the love of god start small. I now realize I can't really do more fun stuff because holy poo poo France is too big to start.

Oh, and Phillipe is fuckin' dead now.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Lareine posted:

Well, I do have a dungeon full of prisoners just waiting for the next blot. I also didn't know you got piety from raiding? All I see is the prestige you get. Of course, I rarely actually go and siege-loot, I usually just go and grab what isn't protected by the walls before moving on.

Yeah you should be sieging down holdings. Pillaging churches and temples nets you pretty good piety. As does hanging priests at the blot.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm interested in getting into this game for about the 4th time now, and holy god, it just seems so overwhelming :negative:

The thing about CK2 is that there's a lot of stuff in it, but you rarely ever have to care about all that stuff at once. If you start off as some duke or count way off in the boonies somewhere you can spend the entire game just watching your little island and slowly expanding outwards while the rest of the world might as well not exist to you except as the occasional source of spouses. That's one reason why people always recommend Ireland in the 1066 start date - it's very isolated and easy to manage and you can play small without worrying about some huge neighbour gobbling you up.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

My Mongol Khagan of Otuken has a pet owl now. Take that, stupid parrot-havers, your dumb bird never shuts the gently caress up!

It gives me +1 to learning and health.

E: I'm also getting a nomad event now that I've never seen before. My Khagan is erecting thrones of skulls in conquered lands. Blood for the blood god, skulls for the skull throne...and I guess Tengri digs that kind of thing too! Also this auto-pillaging is the loving best thing to happen to nomads since horses.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Aug 30, 2016

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
I'm going to start with Ireland. I only have the base game but are there any other recommended starting characters/dates?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Apocron posted:

I'm going to start with Ireland. I only have the base game but are there any other recommended starting characters/dates?

If you want to learn how vassal life is, being any random duke in say, England or France would teach you pretty fast. Or you could be a Spanish count and try to use the Reconquista as a way to grab land. Just watch out for religious revolts

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
How worth it is taking away my council's power as a long-term goal? I'm getting annoyed by these assholes trading each other favors and stonewalling my law changes.

Also annoyed by my Diplomacy 20 chancellor not making me any more claims. Do something you rear end in a top hat, you're my most-annoying council member so I need you to be useful somehow.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
stack your council with loyalists, buy favours rather than owing them a favour for council support (they'll just call it in to force a vote grabbing back power in the future), grind their power into dust.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

I really need to change these laws and I read somewhere that if I convert to Christianity to fulfill the requirements for Feudalism and change my inheritance laws, I'll be able to change back to pagan later and my inheritance laws stay the same? Will I really get that opportunity? Will my Germanic friends pressure me to convert back? Because it really looks like I'm not going to get the chance to reform paganism in my lifetime

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

The trick with pagans is to go really loving hard at conquering the holy sites. For West Africans this is rally straight forward: Keep killing north and east, try not to gently caress with the Umayyads. For Germanic Pagans you use that subjugation CB to swallow the largest Germanic Pagan territories you can, conquest the piss out of any neighboring territories you can, forging claims on the other holy sites in Scandinavia and the one south in Saxony (I usually subjugate Saxony). Tengri is really straight forward too, just keep swallowing your fellow nomads.

But the whole time you're doing this, you'll want one legitimate son only, make as many bastards as you want. This will keep gavelkind from shattering your lands into a million pieces. If the legit heir dies, legitimize a bastard to replace him. If you're nomad gavelkind's not a concern thanks to nomad succession. But keep gavelkind under control, grab 3-4 holy sites (three is required, four makes reforming a little easier from higher moral authority) and then continue using the conquest CB. The conquest CB gives 1% moral authority upon victory. Basically if you hurry up and grab three holy sites and convert them over if need be, you'll have 30% base moral authority. Then you conquer the poo poo out of everything around you get get the rest.

As a pagan, you really have to be aggressive as hell. It helps to use the tribal army decision and constantly stay at war so that they don't go away. If you disband your levies right before enforcing your demands on the foe, you can start another war before ending the current one and your stack of freebie tribals won't disappear and you can steamroll the piss out of a lot of stuff.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I must be the worst player. 40 hours in and I'm still absolutely clueless as I make dumb mistakes. Started with two counties (Cornwall is my goto start), after 50 years had it up to 4 counties. Trying to take over Wales, and I'm in a war against a 3 county territory there which wants the 1 Welsh county I did pick up. I'm slightly outnumbered as they lay siege to my Welsh holdings. My chancellor pipes up that he's just fabricated claims on another one country Welsh territory, and also I get news that I have a weak claim on a country in the neighbouring two county kingdom in Wales. But my army is just too small.

I'd been building up my tax income, and I almost had enough gold to hire mercs. Those two claims I could press, each of them only had 500 men. Mercs would give me 2500 and I could steamroll all of Wales at once. Decided to declare all the wars, and wait for the gold to become available to start my conquests.

A few months later, I hire the Swiss Band, raise my levies, and march on Wales sure that I'm about to become a proper king, not a petty one. Aaaand before I even cross the Severn the mercs disband because I didn't factor in the monthly gold upkeep and there's no line of credit in 822. I then get to lose three wars, losing my Welsh county to the first, then having negative gold and prestige for a decade when losing the other two.

40 hours. God I'm bad at this. Going to buy the Reaper DLC so I can add disease to my woes.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Honky Dong Country posted:

The trick with pagans is to go really loving hard at conquering the holy sites. For West Africans this is rally straight forward: Keep killing north and east, try not to gently caress with the Umayyads. For Germanic Pagans you use that subjugation CB to swallow the largest Germanic Pagan territories you can, conquest the piss out of any neighboring territories you can, forging claims on the other holy sites in Scandinavia and the one south in Saxony (I usually subjugate Saxony). Tengri is really straight forward too, just keep swallowing your fellow nomads.

But the whole time you're doing this, you'll want one legitimate son only, make as many bastards as you want. This will keep gavelkind from shattering your lands into a million pieces. If the legit heir dies, legitimize a bastard to replace him. If you're nomad gavelkind's not a concern thanks to nomad succession. But keep gavelkind under control, grab 3-4 holy sites (three is required, four makes reforming a little easier from higher moral authority) and then continue using the conquest CB. The conquest CB gives 1% moral authority upon victory. Basically if you hurry up and grab three holy sites and convert them over if need be, you'll have 30% base moral authority. Then you conquer the poo poo out of everything around you get get the rest.

As a pagan, you really have to be aggressive as hell. It helps to use the tribal army decision and constantly stay at war so that they don't go away. If you disband your levies right before enforcing your demands on the foe, you can start another war before ending the current one and your stack of freebie tribals won't disappear and you can steamroll the piss out of a lot of stuff.

I've already got the two ones in mainland Europe, I just need to snag one in Scandinavia. It's also not the Gavelkind part I'm worried about since first gen, I only had one son survive and now I've got it all set up to murder my grandsons since it doesn't stop you from doing that. It's the Elective part I'm having trouble with since if my son is any decent, they simply don't vote for him in lieu of my nephews and I've got WAY too many of those to murder. I just need to stop this Elective or else I'm going to lose whole jarldoms. If I'm able to convert to Christianity, set up Feudalism and then switch back, I'll do that but I'm not assured that I'll be able to switch back.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Parkingtigers posted:

40 hours. God I'm bad at this. Going to buy the Reaper DLC so I can add disease to my woes.

I have 400 hours in Paradox games combined, about 160 in Ck2, and I am still bad at it. Though it's my favourite due to the roleplaying elements, it's also the hardest to wrap your head around especially with conclave turned on and wacky inheritance laws. Keep going, eventually you will figure it out and losing a war doesn't usually mean game over, only a lot of time for rebuilding your power

EU4 is "easier" because it's all about map painting and there's way less intrigue to be wary of.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Lareine posted:

I've already got the two ones in mainland Europe, I just need to snag one in Scandinavia. It's also not the Gavelkind part I'm worried about since first gen, I only had one son survive and now I've got it all set up to murder my grandsons since it doesn't stop you from doing that. It's the Elective part I'm having trouble with since if my son is any decent, they simply don't vote for him in lieu of my nephews and I've got WAY too many of those to murder. I just need to stop this Elective or else I'm going to lose whole jarldoms. If I'm able to convert to Christianity, set up Feudalism and then switch back, I'll do that but I'm not assured that I'll be able to switch back.

Don't know, I always go about it via war and reformation of the faith.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The optimization is so good that I actually ended up finishing a game (Alexiad start).

Highlights:

- Damianes the Great blinded all three of his daughters by his adulterous wife
- Theodoros the Hammer: worst person ever. Tyrant, madman, cannibal, owner of the Necronomicon - ate half of the Strategoi in the Empire. Constant revolts eventually led to his abdication, at which point I just stopped giving a gently caress and ate anyone I got my hands on. Bishops, mayors, daughters, Joan of Arc - made no difference. Sought out immortality, but (un)fortunately died before he could complete his quest.
- Mongols rolled in sometime afterwards. I still controlled fairly rich lands, so the Komnenoi hoarded gold like dragons.
- Serapion the Hunter was educated at a Mongol court and fully adopted their ways, only to betray them. With the help of massive piles of gold, he declared independence, conquered Constantinople, and declared himself Despot of Thrace.
- The rest of the Komnenoi dedicated themselves to reconquering Greece bit by bit from Danish crusaders. loving Danes. Sadly they still occupied rightful Greek lands by 1453.
- The Ecumenical Patriarchs are still Mongols.
- Mali is Aquitanian (Aquitaine started as Castille).
- King Scandal "the Drunkard" of England.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Aug 30, 2016

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
where did crown authority go? I need it to change my inheritance laws, but I cant find it? it is because I still have tribal vassals?

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Lareine posted:

If you switch to feudalism, you can't change back to tribal. And going feudal isn't something you want to rush into, since your new, un-upgraded castles will give you far fewer troops than even your basic tribal lands. I'm not sure what the requirements for regular Gavelkind are; I think you can do it with any organized/reformed religion and a few levels in Legalism but don't quote me.

As for switching religions, if you have the right expansions you can convert to your wife/concubine's religion and then use a decision to convert to whatever religion is in your capitol province, or just have your heir remain pagan.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
DD ahoy:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/ck2-dev-diary-21-a-glimmer-of-hope.965862/

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

I realized peace can get boring very quick. I also want to be the Vikings sorta. When should I start and with whom, assuming something other than Karelia?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

widespread posted:

I realized peace can get boring very quick. I also want to be the Vikings sorta. When should I start and with whom, assuming something other than Karelia?

Haesteinn of Nantes, 867. He's a super-dude with event troops and ships and a unique ambition option that usually gets ignored because as a pagan there's half a dozen more amusing options.

Automated Posting
Jan 12, 2013

So in my new game, the Rise of the Shia event fired... in Saxony.

As it turns out, the current child king of Saxony is Sunni. So were his father and grandfather. This has been the state of affairs in Saxony long enough that several counties have converted.

:psyduck:

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Automated Posting posted:

As it turns out, the current child king of Saxony is Sunni. So were his father and grandfather. This has been the state of affairs in Saxony long enough that several counties have converted.

There's an event where a Sunni Doctor arrives and becomes your Court Physician and then later asks you to convert, and it seems to be common enough that it causes Sunni enclaves to pop up all over Europe now.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
In my current game Italy is ruled by Estonian Pagans, the Umayyads control most of Iberia and Morocco but have converted to Catholicism and the Karling menace has been eradicated.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Various Meat Products posted:

If you switch to feudalism, you can't change back to tribal. And going feudal isn't something you want to rush into, since your new, un-upgraded castles will give you far fewer troops than even your basic tribal lands. I'm not sure what the requirements for regular Gavelkind are; I think you can do it with any organized/reformed religion and a few levels in Legalism but don't quote me.

As for switching religions, if you have the right expansions you can convert to your wife/concubine's religion and then use a decision to convert to whatever religion is in your capitol province, or just have your heir remain pagan.

I thought that going feudal was the requirement of switching to regular gavelkind? I don't know anymore. All I want is my son to be my heir so my kingdom won't split up!

In better news, I got the third holy site I needed so all I need to do is rack up the piety hard enough to offset my monthly loss and we're all set!

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Mentioned hotfix is now live BTW.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Aug 30, 2016

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

Automated Posting posted:

860-something and France is Shia in my game.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

That happened to me but with Serbia, it was around that time as well. I couldn't figure out how it happened but it was funny while it lasted.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Darkrenown posted:

Mention hotfix is now live BTW.

I was wondering why the Templars kept building that castle.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Solemn Sloth posted:

stack your council with loyalists, buy favours rather than owing them a favour for council support (they'll just call it in to force a vote grabbing back power in the future), grind their power into dust.

Another good trick is to get council support from someone, owe them a favour, and then fire them from the council. As far as I can tell, they can use the favour to get back on the council but can't use it to actually initiate voting for anything since once they're back on the council they've used up their favour.

Mannetosen
Aug 22, 2010

What's all this racket up here, Barnett? You watchin' your girl cartoons again?
I just downloaded the hotfix and now CK2 keeps crashing to desktop whenever it hits "Loading Events" during the loading screen. Anyone else experiencing the same thing?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Darkrenown posted:

Mentioned hotfix is now live BTW.

In the hotfix notes:

quote:

Can no longer call ally into war against their own liege

Is that what was happening? I was noticing that when I went to war after failing to arrest/revoke titles sometimes, some other random dukes would keep joining in the revolt against me as well despite not being vassals of the original target.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I've only really started getting into this game this week, and...

"- Fixed an issue were you would be notified of eating your own close dynasty members"

:stare:

EDIT: Also:

"- Horse doctors got a little better"

:3:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Cheshire Cat posted:

In the hotfix notes:

Is that what was happening? I was noticing that when I went to war after failing to arrest/revoke titles sometimes, some other random dukes would keep joining in the revolt against me as well despite not being vassals of the original target.

Oh dang, I stopped playing for the night just after this happened to me as well. If I stopped a little earlier I'd have an easier war ahead of me. (It's still an easy war because I am king of Ireland now and this jackass and his ally are pathetic.)

Also sadly Brian failed to get Horse M.D. before dying, despite being a lunatic after studying the Necronomicon in an attempt to bring feminism to Ireland (I needed cultural points for Tolerance).

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.
Is there a simple way to convert to Tengri as the Uyghurs in the Charlemagne start date? Seems a lot has changed since the last time I played this game.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Mannetosen posted:

I just downloaded the hotfix and now CK2 keeps crashing to desktop whenever it hits "Loading Events" during the loading screen. Anyone else experiencing the same thing?

My retail version loads fine. Verify files?

Mannetosen
Aug 22, 2010

What's all this racket up here, Barnett? You watchin' your girl cartoons again?

Darkrenown posted:

My retail version loads fine. Verify files?

Worked like a charm. Thanks a lot, sir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

- Incapable people no longer steal your food in seclusion

- No longer will you get upset about your spouse/parent's grave getting robbed if you were the robber

- Characters who are marked as special interest by the player, or immune to pruning are no longer killed by the court cleanser

The court cleanser sounds hardcore.

- Further reduced odds of under 16s getting cancer

• Locked thread