Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I'm going to assume the Fallout vault reenactor didn't consider things like fire safety or how much ventilation you need in a place like that, and the city wasn't looking forward to the "Hundreds dead in home built shelter fire" headlines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

drgitlin posted:

Might possibly be one of the press cars. One of which Volvo have said they'll get down to DC at some point so I can drive it.

There's at least one Polestar wagon in DC. He lives on Lincoln Park. I drool every time I drive by in my inferior also blue station wagon.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
Just a few pictures from work. The Esprit is pretty much my all time favorite car.

We just got a new 911 R in. Silver with matte green stripes and accents. Actually looked really good but sorry I failed to get pics. Also just want to add how much fun it is to drive the Audi RS7, just did a 25k service on one on Saturday. Luv ma job

Edit: grammar

interwhat fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Aug 28, 2016

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

ishikabibble posted:

:flashfap:

Why can't racecars look like this anymore.

:smuggo:

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

VacaGrande posted:

There's at least one Polestar wagon in DC. He lives on Lincoln Park. I drool every time I drive by in my inferior also blue station wagon.

I think I've seen that at Cars and Coffee.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

interwhat posted:

Just a few pictures from work. The Esprit is pretty much my all time favorite car.

We just got a new 911 R in. Silver with matte green stripes and accents. Actually looked really good but sorry I failed to get pics. Also just want to add how much fun it is to drive the Audi RS7, just did a 25k service on one on Saturday. Luv ma job

Edit: grammar

The RS7 might be the best car Audi makes right now. Adore it, but the thought of its maintenance costs terrify me.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
Each front rotor is $1000+ each. If I remember right, a front brake job is around $3000. And I'm not even sure if those were ceramic. If you were real conservative on the braking, you could probably stretch them to 50k miles. I don't know how you could though.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Just don't stop, ever. Then the brakes last forever. :v:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

interwhat posted:

Each front rotor is $1000+ each. If I remember right, a front brake job is around $3000. And I'm not even sure if those were ceramic. If you were real conservative on the braking, you could probably stretch them to 50k miles. I don't know how you could though.

How could you have just serviced this car and not known if it had ceramic brakes or not???????? :confused:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Ceramic pads and rotors are like $10k in parts alone so it probably wasn't it.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

VacaGrande posted:

There's a white one that street parks near me. Just a paint color away from perfection.

Seriously, who buys a polestar wagon in white?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Just don't stop, ever. Then the brakes last forever. :v:
How can you brake if you never lift? :clint:

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Too much carbon fiber and too many aero details. And the mirrors look weird. :colbert:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ishikabibble posted:

Too much carbon fiber and too many aero details. And the mirrors look weird. :colbert:

agreed, 0/10 wouldn't drive ugh gross

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
MY MOMMY has an rs7, and it does not have ceramic rotors, FYI. They do offer ceramic as an option, but hers has the standard steel "wave" rotors, which are still fuckoff huge. I doubt she's gone over 75mph, anyways.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

amenenema posted:

I think it may have to do with the fact that there are potentially going to be 2,000 people inside it.

boxen posted:

Well, it's for preppers, right? At the point where they're trying to shove 2000 people in there, the county likely has bigger problems.

If some idiots who think the end of the world is coming and want to spend their time masturbating about it, subsequently dying underground in a structural collapse of an underground bunker made of old schoolbuses, let 'em.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

eyebeem posted:

MY MOMMY has an rs7, and it does not have ceramic rotors, FYI. They do offer ceramic as an option, but hers has the standard steel "wave" rotors, which are still fuckoff huge. I doubt she's gone over 75mph, anyways.

Yea the aforementioned brake job I did two years ago was not a ceramic, in fact I've never replaced or seen the ceramic option. We have an RS7 performance (605 hp) on the new car lot, I want to check to see if they have the crazy wavy edges.

Is ur mom single?

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

fridge corn posted:

How could you have just serviced this car and not known if it had ceramic brakes or not???????? :confused:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

eyebeem posted:

what a waste of an insane car

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

BraveUlysses posted:

what a waste of an insane car

BMW have issues with the N63 twin turbo V8 motors eating oil at prodigious rates (2qts/service @ 20k miles on the clock) because of all the people who buy them and never go full throttle during the wear-in period

All these highly turbocharged high power motors need a workout to live, dangit!

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

A redline a day keeps the mechanic away.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

interwhat posted:

Is ur mom single?

Her husband drives a beat to hell 2002 tundra on its last legs. He bought it to replace his mid 80s toyota truck that just up and caught fire one day after slogging it out for 400,000 miles.

His shitbox tundra is parked in the garage while her rs7 sits in the driveway.

He's hilarious and awesome.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

eyebeem posted:

Her husband drives a beat to hell 2002 tundra on its last legs. He bought it to replace his mid 80s toyota truck that just up and caught fire one day after slogging it out for 400,000 miles.

His shitbox tundra is parked in the garage while her rs7 sits in the driveway.

He's hilarious and awesome.

He sounds pretty great.

EDITED FOR CONTENT

Found on the streets of Chicago last weekend

Turbo Camaro that came to C&C on Saturday.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Aug 29, 2016

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Rhyno posted:

He sounds pretty great.

EDITED FOR CONTENT

Found on the streets of Chicago last weekend

I see that truck all the time and when i do the owner is never around. would love to see whats under the hood of that beauty.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

interwhat posted:

I was chatting with a 911 Turbo S (991) owner at a car show, who stated that each wheel costs £2500. No doubt the wheel nuts probably cost more than my 944s wheels in total.. He didn't tell me the price of each (carbon ceramic) brake disc, but he did say that they cost significantly more than the calipers.

Oh, heres a couple pictures of it. Click to make big!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SouthsideSaint posted:

I see that truck all the time and when i do the owner is never around. would love to see whats under the hood of that beauty.

She was sitting inside when I took the pictures, I didn't even think to go talk to her.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

Falken posted:

He didn't tell me the price of each (carbon ceramic) brake disc, but he did say that they cost significantly more than the calipers.

AIUI half the point of carbon-ceramic brakes is that you pretty much never need to replace the discs anyway.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

literally a fish posted:

AIUI half the point of carbon-ceramic brakes is that you pretty much never need to replace the discs anyway.

That's supposed to be the idea. When Porsche first offered them on the 996GT3 and GT3 RS lots of people took them to the track where they turned out to be easily damaged with stones from gravel traps etc and it turned into a big fiasco.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Rhyno posted:

She was sitting inside when I took the pictures, I didn't even think to go talk to her.

Crap. There was a lady who talked to me about it before. I assumed it belonged to a mustached trustafarian. Thanks I will now hunt that thing down just to nerd about the truck.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SouthsideSaint posted:

Crap. There was a lady who talked to me about it before. I assumed it belonged to a mustached trustafarian. Thanks I will now hunt that thing down just to nerd about the truck.

We saw it just as we got off the bus for Lincoln Park Zoo, so maybe that neighborhood?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
List price for OEM wheels always tends to be pretty crazy. You could get some really nice HRE's or something for much less than 2500gbp ea.

drgitlin posted:

That's supposed to be the idea. When Porsche first offered them on the 996GT3 and GT3 RS lots of people took them to the track where they turned out to be easily damaged with stones from gravel traps etc and it turned into a big fiasco.

Plus once you get them past their max optimum operating temperature they wear very quickly. So driving around on the street and canyon roads or whatever they'll last forever. But get them cooking on track and it's like, oh, poo poo, my 10k brakes are toast. I remember hearing about it being better to switch back to steel rotors for track use.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

drgitlin posted:

It seems like that's something Porsche might've tested.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

The solution seems simple. Don't suck at driving on a track and you won't go in the gravel trap. :smug:

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
On the subject of unnecessarily costly upgrades, if you go to the Range Rover website and build your own Range Rover, there are two engine options. The two petrol ones are V8s, one being a naturally aspirated one, and the other being the same engine, but supercharged with +40hp.

This upgrade bumps the price up £40,000 or so, somehow.

Rather than making a big stupid lump of a vehicle faster, why not take that 40k and buy a... fast car?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Falken posted:

On the subject of unnecessarily costly upgrades, if you go to the Range Rover website and build your own Range Rover, there are two engine options. The two petrol ones are V8s, one being a naturally aspirated one, and the other being the same engine, but supercharged with +40hp.

This upgrade bumps the price up £40,000 or so, somehow.

Rather than making a big stupid lump of a vehicle faster, why not take that 40k and buy a... fast car?

Yeah thats rediculous I can't imagine them selling many of those :jerkbag:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
People have paid ~$200,000 for a Range Rover

think about that

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

Godholio posted:

It seems like that's something Porsche might've tested.

"Vell, if you are drivink on track, you buy GT3 Cup car and drive your GT3 RS to track to meet your transporter and crew, ja? No problem."

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
So if it's just surface rust:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8q3DZB_l6M

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Coolest part to me is the wall of smoke in the laser's beam. I wanna see slow mo video of what's going on in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I wonder if that thing keeps chewing through rust until it hits the metal behind or if it just is surface level.

I bet it's just surface :(